Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Daft Punk has toured, like, twice since they were created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

mutata posted:

Daft Punk has toured, like, twice since they were created.

And the second time they had to combine their entire catalog with one of the most bombastic live shows of our lifetimes. It was obviously very successful but after burning that one off... a mostly low-key album recorded by studio musicians who won't tour doesn't really sound like enough fuel for another go around. And the GL remix didn't ignite any hopes of them being holed up in a studio furiously creating bangers for another tour.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!

crankdatbatman posted:

I am not a huge Daft Punk fan and don't really know their typical touring tendencies, but this album has been out for long enough for a tour or at least a live performance to be made. Most bands are doing Letterman or the like BEFORE their album hits. But Daft Punk is different, I suppose.

Also, that Lose Yourself to Dance thing looks exactly like the Get Lucky video. If I was just born yesterday, I'd almost think Daft Punk was a Pharrell side project.

Daft Punk pretty famously only tours once every ten years. They didn't tour for Discovery and did not tour for Human After All until two years after it's release. They don't want to and they don't need to.

That said, Alive 2007 was loving amazing and I'd drive twice as far and pay twice as much to see it again.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Have these guys made ANY live performance of anything off the latest album?

They've said in an interview that they don't want to do live performances of this one. I can't remember the reason they stated.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Apparently Daft Punk Thomas Bangalter has curated this Spotify playlist.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Greenplastic posted:

They've said in an interview that they don't want to do live performances of this one. I can't remember the reason they stated.

I think they said that they weren't planning on doing live performances any time soon because they wanted to do something brand new (not Alive 2007 Part 2) and weren't quite sure how to go about it. I personally hope they do a full band tour because that would be incredible.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Claw posted:

Daft Punk pretty famously only tours once every ten years. They didn't tour for Discovery and did not tour for Human After All until two years after it's release. They don't want to and they don't need to.

That said, Alive 2007 was loving amazing and I'd drive twice as far and pay twice as much to see it again.

Huh. So all the people I hear talking about "man I can't wait/hope they tour soon!" (not just on this forum) are talking out of their rear end, then.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
No Im pretty sure that they can;t wait and they do hope they tour.

Just doesn't mean they will.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

Huh. So all the people I hear talking about "man I can't wait/hope they tour soon!" (not just on this forum) are talking out of their rear end, then.

Yes. I need to drudge up exact quotes, but I believe the Pitchfork feature elaborate on this the most - the band has no intention of doing music videos or performing live in the near future and only wish to do so when they can think of a presentation they've never done before. I would love for them to tour again and with all their commercial success it is not impossible, but they've only done two tours, Alive 1997 and Alive 2007, so it seems possible that we'll be waiting for Alive 2017.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
It feels like this whole era of Daft Punk is an exercise in waiting for the other shoe to drop.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Y'all should just be like me -- no expectation. I don't really expect a tour until at least next summer but more likely until they make another release. I'm pretty sure unless they really are donning the grandpa hats they will make some more electronic music and this will more properly fuel another tour.. If not I'm happy with whatever I get. I do feel that if they are going to make a video clip they might as well make full music videos, though. Even though the music isn't necessarily suited for a traditional Daft Punk live experience doesn't mean it isn't worthy of a proper video.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

thathonkey posted:

What the gently caress does this mean or matter, anyway?

Guy picks 5 songs, tells people.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Feenix posted:

What the gently caress does this mean or matter, anyway?

Guy picks 5 songs, tells people.

People are interested in hearing what kind of music their favorite musicians listen to. I dunno what is so hard to understand about that. If you listen to some of the playlist, youll hear a lot of the same sounds that found their way into RAM.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

thathonkey posted:

People are interested in hearing what kind of music their favorite musicians listen to. I dunno what is so hard to understand about that. If you listen to some of the playlist, youll hear a lot of the same sounds that found their way into RAM.

Sorry I didn't mean my post to sound hostile towards you for the reveal. Just seems like a low-effort thing to have be so meaningful. "Hey this guy who makes music has digitally selected 5 songs as a playlist."

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

mutata posted:

There's a set on ebay for like $60 at the moment, but who knows.

To follow up, that Interstella 5555 action figure set sold for $115 or so.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Feenix posted:

Sorry I didn't mean my post to sound hostile towards you for the reveal. Just seems like a low-effort thing to have be so meaningful. "Hey this guy who makes music has digitally selected 5 songs as a playlist."
I'm not sure why you're saying 5, there's 20 songs on that playlist across a variety of genres.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

het posted:

I'm not sure why you're saying 5, there's 20 songs on that playlist across a variety of genres.

Oh the link showed five. My bad. All the same, I used to be fond of the Dj Kicks series where artists would gather music meaningful to them arrange it and actually mix it, so I guess hotlinking to some mp3s just seems a little superficial.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Feenix posted:

Well he is one of the most well known DJ's of our lifetimes and he doesn't do this sort of thing often. Kind of ups the ante.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

thathonkey posted:

Is there no way to open links like these in the actual program instead of their stupid web player?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

mutata posted:

Is there no way to open links like these in the actual program instead of their stupid web player?

If you subscribe to it it'll show up in the application.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Greenplastic posted:

If you subscribe to it it'll show up in the application.
Well and presumably log in, which is pretty annoying since it used to just open it in the player regardless. Clearly it's not a technical barrier.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

het posted:

Well and presumably log in, which is pretty annoying since it used to just open it in the player regardless. Clearly it's not a technical barrier.

Exactly, it used to just open in the program. Sometimes I just want to check out a playlist instead of subscribe to it and have to reopen the program... Oh well.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

thathonkey posted:

Hey, "Browser Not Supported" is my favorite song! More seriously, would anyone care to be nice enough to copy-paste the list for those of us too lazy to register/login/install/whatever the heck Spotify wants us to do?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: vvvv down dere.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Hey, "Browser Not Supported" is my favorite song! More seriously, would anyone care to be nice enough to copy-paste the list for those of us too lazy to register/login/install/whatever the heck Spotify wants us to do?

This will have to suffice:

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
His playlist isn't as cool as I thought it would be. I'd love to see what he'd do on an Another Late Night compilation.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

thathonkey posted:

This will have to suffice:

Looks more like a shoutout to his collaborators than a thoughtfully curated list of music.

Kinda how actors always talk about how much they admire the director's work on press junkets.

Whether true or not (disregarding my dislike of this album) everything related to DP since the album has come out has felt like lovely marketing in the most insincere and corporate way to me.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Feenix posted:

Whether true or not (disregarding my dislike of this album) everything related to DP since the album has come out has felt like lovely marketing in the most insincere and corporate way to me.

I feel the same way. About everything. Didn't like the album enough to buy it or any of the songs individually. However, I am still a fan of DP so I try to keep up to date on DP news and I agree with you about the marketing. It all seems opposite of what DP claims to be about. After having read highlights of the VMA, I can't believe DP chose to be part of that shallow event. At least Colbert had one of the best shows this year because of DP's no-show.

I think all of these may have started with Tron.

S.C. sweeps
Apr 23, 2006
New video up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-kLy44Hls

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

That is a goddamn music video.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Indeed it is. I love it!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It starts to feel a bit samey after a little while, but yeah, it's cool and retro and I like it.

Dlowmx
Feb 5, 2007
Eh

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It starts to feel a bit samey after a little while, but yeah, it's cool and retro and I like it.

I felt the samey vibe too, it's like they finished pushing out the turd that was the preview

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Yeeah, that's one boring music video. The Soul Train montage someone put together to the song is more interesting to watch, and that probably took half an hour to put together.

Dlowmx
Feb 5, 2007
Eh
It's still an amazing song that deserved a better video which is what my mine gripe is. At least we got something. Any idea of what the third single will be?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

There's a cool poster for the video also. Gonna have to find this somewhere.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dlowmx posted:

It's still an amazing song that deserved a better video which is what my mine gripe is. At least we got something. Any idea of what the third single will be?

Doin' It Right got released to alternative radio last week in the US.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Skeezy posted:

There's a cool poster for the video also. Gonna have to find this somewhere.

That's a pretty great poster, and implies something far less clinical and dull than the actual video we got.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's all just all extra poo poo on top of a good album to me. I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

sethsez posted:

That's a pretty great poster, and implies something far less clinical and dull than the actual video we got.

Yes, because someone else designed it of course. ;)

• Locked thread