Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
MiniSquadron is currently free and you should get it especially if you're an old and loved Time Pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

PAD seems like a neat little thing based on what I've played for about an hour or so but yeah I have no real desire to spend cash. Maybe the kawaii doesn't work on me.

I've played for a few months and had no urge to spend money either, even after that time I accidentally wasted 10 stones right before Egyptian godfest. It's just some pokemonny match 3 game that spergs love to write powergaming min/max guides for. I'm genuinely freaked out by the sheer number of people so deeply invested in the thing.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I've got a massively long flight ahead of me next week as well as a significant amount of time without internet connection, so it's time to find some more single player iPad games! Last time, it was all about the adventure games. Beneath a Steel Sky, GTA, and a bunch of strategy games like King of Dragon Pass and Tactical Warrior. Not sure what I'm gonna go with this time.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The World Ends With You and Sword and Glory are solid choices.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I played Sword and Glory a bajillion times already, and I tried TWEWY on my DS... couldn't get into it. I might just replay Chrono Trigger or something.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

I've got a massively long flight ahead of me next week as well as a significant amount of time without internet connection, so it's time to find some more single player iPad games! Last time, it was all about the adventure games. Beneath a Steel Sky, GTA, and a bunch of strategy games like King of Dragon Pass and Tactical Warrior. Not sure what I'm gonna go with this time.

Phoenix Wright?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

SquadronROE posted:

If you are into 90s style turn based combat RPG games then the spiderweb Avernum and Avadon games have enough gameplay for ages. I usually encode a handful of movie and tv shows for trips to mix it up between games/video/reading

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

JHVH-1 posted:

If you are into 90s style turn based combat RPG games then the spiderweb Avernum and Avadon games have enough gameplay for ages. I usually encode a handful of movie and tv shows for trips to mix it up between games/video/reading

I'll check into those. Thanks! Also, Phoenix Wright is an excellent idea. I'll play through the free part of that (I played the first case and I don't think it'll hold my attention for that much longer).

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

SquadronROE posted:

I'll check into those. Thanks! Also, Phoenix Wright is an excellent idea. I'll play through the free part of that (I played the first case and I don't think it'll hold my attention for that much longer).

The first case isn't a very good representation of the rest of the game. I mean it sort of gives you an idea of how the game works, but it spoon feeds the whole thing to the point that it isn't very interesting. You may find you have a different opinion once you play a little further.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

If you only buy one of them, make it PW3.
It's the most bang for your buck.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

SquadronROE posted:

I played Sword and Glory a bajillion times already, and I tried TWEWY on my DS... couldn't get into it. I might just replay Chrono Trigger or something.

It's rarely a bad idea to replay Chrono Trigger.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

frytechnician posted:

It's rarely a bad idea to replay Chrono Trigger.
Speaking of which, did they ever fix the iOS version?

This might be even more important to ask considering iOS 7’s coming in a few days and might screw it up again.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I love Chrono Trigger and put up with bad iOS controls for most good games but it was somehow worse than anything I'd encountered up to that point. I highly recommend skipping the iOS version. Just go back to the DS port.

On that note, Final Fantasy Tactics's touch controls were surprisingly usable. Have you played that yet?

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE
Does any one play this terrible but incredibly addictive over advertised "Clash of Clans" game? Did I miss it somewhere?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

So... I'm glad I didn't give them any money for it but I just finished FF All the Bravest.
What is wrong with me? It wasn't even remotely enjoyable.
Hilariously, the last boss needs you to use something like 5 of those hourglasses to beat it unless you want to do it over a few days. I saved all the gift ones up, expecting it. What amazing bullshit.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Bigbillthaboss posted:

Does any one play this terrible but incredibly addictive over advertised "Clash of Clans" game? Did I miss it somewhere?

I'd also like to ask about Clash of Clans, since it sounds cool in concept until I see that it's 2nd grossing ever and has only budged from 1st because of candy crush. Is it actually any good? Do you actually need to shell out outrageous amounts to play?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's a strategy game wherein you cannot command your units at all, and only control the units you bring and where you drop them from to run to their deaths. IAP is the usual "get this this pretty thing, do more, do it faster" mind of stuff.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I have been playing it but I'm just incredibly casual. Without spending money it's slower than molasses, but you can progress. I've been working on my defenses because I get beat up a lot, making it even slower. I do win some battles now defending my city and the animations are fun. It's very easy to spend lots of money though, but since I have no budget for this game, I just keep chugging along.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sad lions posted:

If you only buy one of them, make it PW3.
It's the most bang for your buck.

What, no? The game is filled to the brim with references to the previous games in the series and while they do explain a bunch it's throwing the guy into the deep.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Lorini posted:

I have been playing it but I'm just incredibly casual. Without spending money it's slower than molasses, but you can progress. I've been working on my defenses because I get beat up a lot, making it even slower. I do win some battles now defending my city and the animations are fun. It's very easy to spend lots of money though, but since I have no budget for this game, I just keep chugging along.

This. I've found it a fun game to check in on once or twice a day, collect resources and maybe do a raid. I've been playing since last year and have progressed pretty far but yeah it is really slow without cash.
I could never see spending money on this game for as SpookyLizard points out, you just really don't get anything for your investment. I'd only pick it up if you have patience and want another time waster---while it is pretty satisfying to raid another person and steal their stuff...there are other more involved games out there.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Nickoten posted:

I love Chrono Trigger and put up with bad iOS controls for most good games but it was somehow worse than anything I'd encountered up to that point. I highly recommend skipping the iOS version. Just go back to the DS port.

On that note, Final Fantasy Tactics's touch controls were surprisingly usable. Have you played that yet?

I'm currently using that snes emulator that just got pulled to replay chrono trigger on my iPad. The virtual d pad is not ideal, but it's not too bad.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How's the Final Fantasy IV (3 in America) port? It was the first FF game I beat and I'm down for some nostalgia.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

obi_ant posted:

How's the Final Fantasy IV (2 in America) port? It was the first FF game I beat and I'm down for some nostalgia.

A bit like trying to bite off a hangnail. It is painful and you shouldn't but by god you are gonna keep biting (playing).

The augment system isnt explained at all, so you will miss 90% of them because the way to get them is a deliberate gently caress you.
give 3 augments to every party member that will permanently leave your party.

The game is MUCH harder. There are certain random mobs that will kill your entire team if they all use their skill. So it is completely random if can beat a dungeon. Boss are tough too.

The new items are hidden under less 1% drop rates.

You can't change your end game team any more.

New boss are just a boring slog.

However the game is still a lot of fun.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 16, 2013

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

obi_ant posted:

How's the Final Fantasy IV (3 in America) port? It was the first FF game I beat and I'm down for some nostalgia.

Was my first too, have a soft spot in my heart for this game.
If you haven't played this version on DS, it's worth it. I enjoyed the increased difficulty - it's a proper challenge at parts now.
That being said, the poster above is correct: make sure you download an augment guide and follow that, there are almost no spoilers and it won't detract from the enjoyment at all.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Quickpull posted:

I'm currently using that snes emulator that just got pulled to replay chrono trigger on my iPad. The virtual d pad is not ideal, but it's not too bad.

Yeah that's actually not bad. The official IOS port's menus are so hard to navigate that selecting the right enemy to attack/character to heal feels like a crapshoot.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nickoten posted:

Yeah that's actually not bad. The official IOS port's menus are so hard to navigate that selecting the right enemy to attack/character to heal feels like a crapshoot.

I only had problems with that at first. Then I realized you are supposed to swipe left or right to switch targets, instead of attempting to tap on the enemy which is your first instinct. If you tap on the enemy you are telling the game to select whatever you currently have selected.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I only had problems with that at first. Then I realized you are supposed to swipe left or right to switch targets, instead of attempting to tap on the enemy which is your first instinct. If you tap on the enemy you are telling the game to select whatever you currently have selected.

That sounds remarkably counter intuitive.
Why not just use the DS stylus controls?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
:siren: Hey assbutts, Ascension just went free. And a new promo card pack was released, too. :siren:

http://appshopper.com/games/ascension-chronicle-of-the-godslayer

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Edit: ^^^ gently caress yes. Everyone download this.

Sad lions posted:

That sounds remarkably counter intuitive.
Why not just use the DS stylus controls?

Who knows what square enix is thinking. They could easily be printing so much money that even PAD would be jealous, but instead we get FF:ATB.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 16, 2013

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Sad lions posted:

So... I'm glad I didn't give them any money for it but I just finished FF All the Bravest.
What is wrong with me? It wasn't even remotely enjoyable.
Hilariously, the last boss needs you to use something like 5 of those hourglasses to beat it unless you want to do it over a few days. I saved all the gift ones up, expecting it. What amazing bullshit.

It plays the nostalgic music from old video games while you look at nostalgic pictures from old video games and click cows light warriors. And now it's for free. That's enough for me to do it in the background of whatever with 5% of my attention. Oh, I lost? Cool, I'll check Twitter come back to it when I remember to.

If you played the original FF games, especially the NES ones, you're obviously not morally opposed to a grind on some level.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Bummey posted:

:siren: Hey assbutts, Ascension just went free. And a new promo card pack was released, too. :siren:

http://appshopper.com/games/ascension-chronicle-of-the-godslayer

Back to 4.99 already?

EDIT: never mind. Had to reload the page in the App Store.

Stumpus fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 17, 2013

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

PFlats posted:

If you played the original FF games, especially the NES ones, you're obviously not morally opposed to a grind on some level.

But the original FF games had a plot. Also, interactivity beyond mindlessly sliding your finger up and down for several minutes. I'm not going to waste my time with any "game" that has absolutely no gameplay.

...unless it has alpacas.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Stumpus posted:

Back to 4.99 already?

EDIT: never mind. Had to reload the page in the App Store.

You snooze you lose, stumpy!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Pivvot is a pretty rad game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

PAD seems like a neat little thing based on what I've played for about an hour or so but yeah I have no real desire to spend cash. Maybe the kawaii doesn't work on me.

I just got a message that I've been playing for 150 days and I've spent a grand total of $1. The game throws free gems (IAP currency) at you a bunch too.

It's fun if you're the kind of person who likes planning out teams and stuff. It's the sort of game where it's a nice distraction to try to beat a new level or two at work but I never would choose to spend money on it over non-iOS games I'd rather buy.

It's cool that there's always something to go for ingame. Sometimes I'll need to beat a specific level to get materials to evolve my shiny new guy, some of the really difficult content gives you new powerful guys, and there's always another level to try to beat.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

:siren: Paladog! finally went free! :siren:

http://appshopper.com/games/paladog

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ascension is cool enough to replace Order and Chaos Duels (which isn't hard considering how hard it is to actually get cards) as a pooping card game. Are any of the expansions worth it?

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
All the expansions are great, and you can mix and match at will.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
They are also all a dollar off right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Okay, decided I like it but not sure if I'm gonna like it enough to pay full price for the expansions later...

If I only grabbed one, which should it be?

• Locked thread