Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rscott posted:

I took more umbrage at the whole "menstruations of my boss" thing than another goon being a goony goon (although I suppose that fits neatly into the goony goon part as well)

I assume he meant ministrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Had the production manager come and accost me because some form they fill out just shows "###########" in the date field when printed.

:v: It does that when the inputted text is larger than the field.
:mad: Well, you need to fix this.
:v: I don't really see why it's doing this. 9/13/2013 isn't even half the size of that field.
:mad: No, they write it out like "Friday, September 13th, 2013."
:v: That's your problem. The date shouldn't really have to be written in any other format than MM/DD/YYYY.
:mad: Can't you just make that field bigger? That would be easier.
:confused: You mean you want me to change the file on all thirty computers individually, rather than your department just writing the date the way a normal person would?
:mad: Yes! Have it done by tomorrow morning, please.

I love my job :3:

It's your fault for not using ISO 8601

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

FISHMANPET posted:

I think my sole purpose here is to just know things and point out stupid stuff when I see it.

That is absolutely goddamn right.

Pushing a button: $5
Knowing what button to push: $500

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

You do realise you're just exposing your own pointless prejudices here, right? Why is taking time off to play a new game on release any more objectionable than taking time off to go to a movie premier? Or the opening of a new museum? Or the first day of hunting season? Or the first big game of this year's league? Or, gently caress it, taking the time off just to lay around in bed all day if that's what you want to do? You're harbouring resentment towards people based on a really specifically weird set of criteria which don't make much sense. You might as well just hate on people who take time off on a Tuesday.

More to the point though, the only person who's reasons for taking PTO are of any concern to you is you; what other people choose to do in their own free time is none of your business, and I don't really see why you think it should be. Judging whether other people's happiness conforms to your own definition of 'correct' is an entirely pointless exercise. If you want to do it in your head then fine I guess, but I wouldn't expect much support from anyone else.

Now for content:

Javid posted:

This is the same manager who insinuated I was somehow in the wrong for being late due to my class schedule - which they knew about on hire, but hired me anyway because nobody else wants this job

So, on the one hand this is definitely lovely. On the other, doesn't this give you enormous power? If they're really struggling that hard to find people willing to do the job, then I'd have thought the ball's in your court. I'm not suggesting you poo poo all over your manager's desk, but you should definitely feel fairly safe in standing up for your rights / agreements - which, to be fair, it sounds like you did so maybe it's not entirely bad?

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 16, 2013

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 16, 2015

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Last week
Me - :v: Okay client you are all finished!
:) Thanks all done!

-today-
:) Are you finished yet this is affecting productivity!!!

IF we both agree $tasks$ are finished how and we both say it is finished via email; how do you think it is not finished?

:psyduck:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I once worked in a place that wanted you to give a reason for why you were taking sick time. Not PTO, but sick time, and not just miss 3 days and bring a DR's note, but tell us exactly what you have or take PTO.

Reason for sick time: Felt sick, unable to work productively.

Surely that is all that would be needed. Extended sick time would require medical attention because if something is keeping you down for more than a day or two get the the loving doctor you idiot.

Time off is usually I want to take the following days, no reason needed. Unless it is short notice and it is specific dates for a specific reason then you might have to say why.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Inspector_71 posted:

I assume he meant ministrations.

I'll just refer back to my post where I rage about people not giving their posts a good one over before posting on their phones/tablets then :v:

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Compare these two scenarios and see if you can tell which one I think is too much.

Scenario 1:

Hey boss, things look to be slow this week and I have quite a bit of PTO built up, do you care if I take Thursday off for a mental health day? <Goes home and plays a video game he rented at redbox that came out 2 months ago>

Scenario 2:

Hey boss, I know there's a lot going on lately but GTA5 comes out tomorrow and I really need the day off. If I'm not online at exactly 12:01AM tonight murdering pimps and prostitutes my life will literally have no joy in it and my internet friends will thing I'm not cool anymore.

Now maybe I'm loving mental or something, but Scenario 1 I have no issue with, Scenario 2 is what I would call "A Bit Much". Not sure how else to explain it.
Both scenarios are lovely, because you gave little to no notice.

Work doesn't get to dictate when I take my paid time off without a damned good reason, as long as I give adequate notice in advance. If I know something I was excited about was being released on a particular date, and I asked for that time off, I'd expect it to get approved, so long as we hadn't already planned something important that day that required me to be there.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Hey, boss, I'm planning on getting appendicitis on Nov 1, is that okay with you? By the way, the new Enders Game movie will be coming out, no relation though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've taken a total of 6 sick hours this year which leaves me with 42 that will expire on 12/31. I generally don't get sick enough to miss work so I hoard them in case of parental medical emergencies.

Time to start burning them off. 4 hours at a time sounds reasonable!

I'm going to carry over my 100+ vacation hours for the same reason I try not to use my sick hours until the end of the year. I think I can bank at least 160 hours so until I'm going to start losing them there's no point using them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

nitrogen posted:

Hey, boss, I'm planning on getting appendicitis on Nov 1, is that okay with you? By the way, the new Enders Game movie will be coming out, no relation though.

You better not watch that Orson Scott Card movie! On that note, the last time someone at work questioned my use of PTO I told them "It's for gay sex", it really cuts down on followup questions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't get paid sick leave unless you go to the loving doctor and have a signed note. Flu where the doctor doesn't want to see you? Better hope you have vacation saved up.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

We don't get paid sick leave unless you go to the loving doctor and have a signed note. Flu where the doctor doesn't want to see you? Better hope you have vacation saved up.

My work tried this and instead of calling out with "I feel like garbage today, I'll be in tomorrow", every time I got sick it turned into "Well my doctor gave me a note saying that I'm going to be sick for the whole week, guess I'm taking the whole thing off!"

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

MJP posted:

In order to get the contact information for where to submit this job, answer the following question:

Two yachts are 100 miles apart and travelling toward each other at a constant speed of 10 mph. A helicopter is flying between the yachts at a constant speed at 100 mph. Once it reaches one yacht, it turns around and starts travelling toward the other yacht. It does not loose any time or speed when turning around. How much total distance would the helicopter have traveled once the yachts meet each other?

If the helicopter starts at one yacht and flies towards the other, the answer is a little under 91 miles plus whatever altitude it was flying at plus the depth of the ocean floor at the point it meets the second yacht, because no helicopter exists that could execute a maneuver that is basically equivalent to a 200MPH impact with a fixed object without breaking into tiny pieces. :colbert:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

GreenNight posted:

The last time I was told this, I said "If I were well enough to get out of bed, shower, get dressed, and drive to the doctor's office, I'd be well enough to come in!"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zero VGS posted:

On that note, the last time someone at work questioned my use of PTO I told them "It's for gay sex", it really cuts down on followup questions.

Last time I called out sick (9 months ago, what the gently caress is wrong with me) I just said "I'd rather not talk about it".

I called out for a job interview, so I was telling the truth in a way.

re: taking time off for stupid poo poo. My coworker is taking a PTO because there's a festival near his apartment. He's not actually planning on going to the festival, he just wants to avoid the traffic it causes on his commute home, so his 15 minute commute doesn't turn into a one hour. Meanwhile, my commute is an hour each direction, and when I worked the overnights it took me two hours to get home.

e:

sfwarlock posted:

The last time I was told this, I said "If I were well enough to get out of bed, shower, get dressed, and drive to the doctor's office, I'd be well enough to come in!"

If they as much as suspect you of having as much as a cold or a flu in the call center, security will stop you at the entrance and won't let you come into work. In a way I'm jealous of this policy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

sfwarlock posted:

I tried that, and they said the same - but still need a hand written doctors note to be paid for sick time. You can take a sick day anytime, just won't be paid for it.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Save me the effort of suiting up and sweating like a hog in the cleanroom...

Would "Windows Embedded" just block any attempt at remoting in, period, end of story? Or is there something I can toggle to enable this? The machine is a mini-touchscreen PC probably 3-4 years old, purpose built to run this tension measurement device.

I can not connect with a domain account, it states that the domain controller is inaccessible and it will not allow me to connect with the local admin credentials, throws the error seen above.

The person who operates this machine has requested access to company shares and printers. I get the same "domain controller not available" message when logging in with my domain account standing in front of it in the cleanroom.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

No Your Other Left posted:

Why the hell are you taking the day off for a videogame? Suck it up and wait until the weekend.

What? No. That's what working from home is for. Sick days/day off are when you're stuck on a really tough level and need another 18 hours to deal with it.

Also, guess what I got? The most important certification of all! ITIL Foundation! :v: I'm pretty sure that means...nothing.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I'm going to be taking a day off for a wine show. Of course, my reason for asking the doctor for time off is going to be "I'm going to have a severe case of wine flu (the day after the wine show).

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
gently caress Ricoh printers, and gently caress their lovely techs who spend more time on the phone with their own tech support than they do at the printer. Oh, and gently caress them for loving it up and then acting like it's MY fault. Oh, you set it from the static IP I had set to a DHCP and then told me I'd have to go change the config at each individual host every 48 hours? gently caress you.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005

drukqs posted:

Would "Windows Embedded" just block any attempt at remoting in, period, end of story? Or is there something I can toggle to enable this? The machine is a mini-touchscreen PC probably 3-4 years old, purpose built to run this tension measurement device.

I can not connect with a domain account, it states that the domain controller is inaccessible and it will not allow me to connect with the local admin credentials, throws the error seen above.

The person who operates this machine has requested access to company shares and printers. I get the same "domain controller not available" message when logging in with my domain account standing in front of it in the cleanroom.
You will see this error if you're trying to remote in and the password for the account is blank. You cannot use accounts with blank passwords with RDP. Just my guess though, you may also check to see if RDP is enabled by going to System Properties, and the remote tab.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What? No. That's what working from home is for. Sick days/day off are when you're stuck on a really tough level and need another 18 hours to deal with it.

Also, guess what I got? The most important certification of all! ITIL Foundation! :v: I'm pretty sure that means...nothing.

I think it means something, but I don't quite recall what because I purged everything I learned in that class from my brain by the day after the test.

I do remember that there are like four more levels of certification in ITIL that you can earn with a dozen or so other courses, though. :stonk: I think if you pass them all you become some sort of ITIL Demigod who can crush entire cities with your process management buzzword Thu'um or something.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

rolleyes posted:

So, on the one hand this is definitely lovely. On the other, doesn't this give you enormous power? If they're really struggling that hard to find people willing to do the job, then I'd have thought the ball's in your court. I'm not suggesting you poo poo all over your manager's desk, but you should definitely feel fairly safe in standing up for your rights / agreements - which, to be fair, it sounds like you did so maybe it's not entirely bad?

Oh yeah. Around when I learned of the walk- outs is when I quit asking for the days I needed off for class or whatever. Covering the odd conflicting night sucks for them, but enormously less than replacing me, which they functionally can't. The pool of people who will work 12 hour overnights is small, news at 11.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

If they as much as suspect you of having as much as a cold or a flu in the call center, security will stop you at the entrance and won't let you come into work. In a way I'm jealous of this policy.

A few years back during the swine flu thing I think it was, my company instituted a policy that if you or anyone in your household had flu or cold symptoms you were to work from home until everybody was symptom free. My wife of course got sick, so I got to stay home for around a week or so. Working from home was otherwise unheard of at this place, so it was a rare treat for me (especially since I had an hour-plus commute). I never got so much as a sniffle.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

drukqs posted:

Can you use psexec? Or even try connecting using remote registry. It's a long shot but it might work.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Last week
Me - :v: Okay client you are all finished!
:) Thanks all done!

-today-
:) Are you finished yet this is affecting productivity!!!

IF we both agree $tasks$ are finished how and we both say it is finished via email; how do you think it is not finished?

:psyduck:

Since you have it in email, I'd have just replied with that email and CC the boss to CYA.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't get sick days. My sick days are literally: "Oh your sick? Come in when you feel better!"
I get two weeks of vacation per year also.

I do think if you have kids then you should probably spend your vacation time with them, because you're the father/mother and all. Spending vacation just for a video game and ignoring your kids is a pretty lovely thing to do.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 17, 2013

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

frogbert posted:

Can you use psexec? Or even try connecting using remote registry. It's a long shot but it might work.

If psexec works and remote registry don't then just enable it through psexec. If remote registry works try enabling blank password rdp with http://www.mydigitallife.info/trick...-null-password/ (or similar)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ratbert90 posted:

I don't get sick days. My sick days are literally: "Oh your sick? Come in when you feel better!"
I get two weeks of vacation per year also.

I do think if you have kids then you should probably spend your vacation time with them, because you're the father/mother and all. Spending vacation just for a video game and ignoring your kids is a pretty lovely thing to do.

Well, if your kids are in school, you can wake up, make breakfast/lunch for them and your SO (or not if you don't have one), then relax during the day doing whatever and then be with them at night too. Now taking a whole week off might be excessive since you probably should do some sort of vaca with the family, but I don't see a problem with 1 or 2 days, especially if you do other things, and I doubt anyone in that position is going to play a video for 18 hours straight.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Dear Google Apps users,

You currently will have a glitch where the favicon shows as a wrench rather than the standard envelope for the mail icon. It appears to be affecting a large number of Google Apps accounts, not just ours.

It is not, I repeat NOT, Google calling you a tool.

Regards,
toe shoes

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Which of the following is an acceptable disaster plan for your piece of mission critical networking equipment:
a. have an HA pair
b. keep a cold spare unit around
c. be able to route around it, with some loss of capacity/functionality
d. hope your vendor will same-day ship you a new device despite not having any warranty agreement to that effect

Guess which one the customer chose.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Oh man...

Decided it was desktop maintenance time. Opened it up, cleaned it out, made sure everything was fitted right, put it back in, booted a few times, then flashed the rom

Erasing.....100%
Writing.....100%
Verifying.6% FAILED.

What the poo poo? try again...
NO ASUS ROM DETECTED.

son of a...

so I google it, and apparently the rom flashing utility is notorious for making GBS threads itself at that exact point. My computer is now running with a blank bios, eagerly awaiting the next power outage to die and never return.

Dead comp walking.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Oh man...

Decided it was desktop maintenance time. Opened it up, cleaned it out, made sure everything was fitted right, put it back in, booted a few times, then flashed the rom

Erasing.....100%
Writing.....100%
Verifying.6% FAILED.

What the poo poo? try again...
NO ASUS ROM DETECTED.

son of a...

so I google it, and apparently the rom flashing utility is notorious for making GBS threads itself at that exact point. My computer is now running with a blank bios, eagerly awaiting the next power outage to die and never return.

Dead comp walking.

And this is why I boot into DOS to this day to still flash a bios. :smug:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

ratbert90 posted:

And this is why I boot into DOS to this day to still flash a bios. :smug:

And also why these production servers are running NT 4 :smug:

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

fivre posted:

Which of the following is an acceptable disaster plan for your piece of mission critical networking equipment:
a. have an HA pair
b. keep a cold spare unit around
c. be able to route around it, with some loss of capacity/functionality
d. hope your vendor will same-day ship you a new device despite not having any warranty agreement to that effect

Guess which one the customer chose.

I recently got "Our disaster plan includes ordering hardware from a vendor who normally has a 3-4 week lead time. Oh and part of the disaster recovery plan is to have you guys determine what equipment to buy, which data center to put it into and how to configure it after a disaster is declared, we don't need to plan any of that right now... Oh also it absolutely needs to be up during month end, every month."

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

GanjamonII posted:

I recently got "Our disaster plan includes ordering hardware from a vendor who normally has a 3-4 week lead time. Oh and part of the disaster recovery plan is to have you guys determine what equipment to buy, which data center to put it into and how to configure it after a disaster is declared, we don't need to plan any of that right now... Oh also it absolutely needs to be up during month end, every month."

When I read this, this video came to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I was told to fix our shredder by a senior member of staff. Tried, no luck. Today I come in and get an earfull from the boss for wasting time on 'playing around'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Kumquat posted:

So you're just making a strawman then? How do you know it wasn't the following?

Scenario 3:

Work has been slow lately and this game I'm excited to play is coming out next week. Man, I've got a lot of PTO saved up, maybe I'll take a day off and spend some time playing this game.

This is the one, but because my boss is for some reason hating me right now, I am right now at work waiting for him to 'decide'.
I dont know what I did, but he has been chewing me out this whole month and it isnt over yet by the looks of it.

• Locked thread