Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Calling it now, Lash will pop out of Harry's head and unleash a can of kickass on the team Nic put together to rob Hades whenever Nic's double-cross happens (fueling her magic with the readily available metaphysical stuff of Hades), or said popping out of the head will be the debilitating thing that puts Harry in his typical vulnerable position in the story before he gets his hands on some relic in Hades that gives him the plot armor he needs to win (while Lash is all "gently caress this poo poo, I'm outta here" and doesn't appear again until the BAC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
A channel over here just started showing the Dresden Files TV series so i've been watching it for the first time. It's fairly hilariously non-faithful, but it's also pretty easy to get past that given just how far away it is. I can't really picture the books being made into any kind of successful TV show, so I guess it's alright if what you're looking for is generic CSI type stuff, except with magic.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Revenant Threshold posted:

A channel over here just started showing the Dresden Files TV series so i've been watching it for the first time. It's fairly hilariously non-faithful, but it's also pretty easy to get past that given just how far away it is. I can't really picture the books being made into any kind of successful TV show, so I guess it's alright if what you're looking for is generic CSI type stuff, except with magic.

IIRC it came out around the time of Dead Beat, which makes the writers deciding to drop Michael (along with the rest of the Carpenter family) and integrate some of his characteristics into Morgan... troublesome at best. Same with Bianca becoming Susan Lite.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

IIRC it came out around the time of Dead Beat, which makes the writers deciding to drop Michael (along with the rest of the Carpenter family) and integrate some of his characteristics into Morgan... troublesome at best. Same with Bianca becoming Susan Lite.

at least they got Bob's character down pat pretty good. Which is more than can be said for Mai's character..

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

MasterFugu posted:

at least they got Bob's character down pat pretty good. Which is more than can be said for Mai's character..

Wait what? They made Bob into Giles 2.0, nothing close to how he is

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Wait what? They made Bob into Giles 2.0, nothing close to how he is
as close as it's going to get then, media differences and all.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

MasterFugu posted:

as close as it's going to get then, media differences and all.
I can understand just having an actor playing him, CGI costs being what they are (or were). But you could still have a Bob-ish character. TV Bob retains the condescension, but that's it.

I have to say, the one thing I actually did like as an adaption is the hockey stick as a staff. Something that would be entirely plausible (well, more plausible) to be carrying around plus it seems in character.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I can understand just having an actor playing him, CGI costs being what they are (or were). But you could still have a Bob-ish character. TV Bob retains the condescension, but that's it.

I have to say, the one thing I actually did like as an adaption is the hockey stick as a staff. Something that would be entirely plausible (well, more plausible) to be carrying around plus it seems in character.

I liked TV Bob, and I liked the hockey stick.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I honestly think the Dresden Files could make a pretty awesome and faithful TV show. Each book, at least in the beginning, be like a three or four part story arc. Cover the first three books in the first season, maybe even the fourth and fifth book. Any of those three would be great season finale points. Special effects could be a problem though, but honestly the Dresden Files aren't super flashy all the time. It's more like occasional instances of awesome magic stuff happening in each book.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SerSpook posted:

I honestly think the Dresden Files could make a pretty awesome and faithful TV show. Each book, at least in the beginning, be like a three or four part story arc. Cover the first three books in the first season, maybe even the fourth and fifth book. Any of those three would be great season finale points. Special effects could be a problem though, but honestly the Dresden Files aren't super flashy all the time. It's more like occasional instances of awesome magic stuff happening in each book.

Besides, Dresden says that magic looks 'like bad cg'.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SerSpook posted:

The best episode of the series, by far, was the one based on Storm Front.

It had pacing issues, but if they had stretched it out it would have been even better.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Wade Wilson posted:

Calling it now, Lash will pop out of Harry's head and unleash a can of kickass on the team Nic put together to rob Hades whenever Nic's double-cross happens (fueling her magic with the readily available metaphysical stuff of Hades), or said popping out of the head will be the debilitating thing that puts Harry in his typical vulnerable position in the story before he gets his hands on some relic in Hades that gives him the plot armor he needs to win (while Lash is all "gently caress this poo poo, I'm outta here" and doesn't appear again until the BAC).

The big problem with this is the parasite (who I still think is NOT Lash and will likely flip a loving table and throw the book if it turns out IS Lash) is not going to be able to just 'pop out' of Harry, as that would be fatal to our accident prone wizard. Demonreach has stated as plainly as it is able that the parasite popping out without intervention by 'Grasshopper' will result in Harry's Death, not just his debilitation.

Unrelated Skin Game speculation: I really don't think that Murphy will just tote along Fidelacchius on a heist. Taking the sword of faith on a mission involving treachery and theft? Not going to be in-line with the power of the blade. I think she will end up using it at some point in the book, but most likely it'll be passed off to her by a new bearer of Amoracchius (or Sanya) who steps in to help after Nicky and the Nickleheads inevitably betray Harry/Murphy.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

WarLocke posted:

I hate you guys for giving me so much drat reading material. I read Libriomancer in one long sitting the other day (great magic system, loved how it allowed the author to geek/pop-culture out, liked what he was -trying- to do with Lena but wish it wasn't done so hamhandedly) and started The Atrocity Archive today (I think I've actually read this before though, the Fred from Accounting scene with worms in his eyes is really drat familiar, I bet it ends up in them going to a Nazi-Cthulhu pocket dimension type thing eh?) and am currently trying to find a copy of The Rook.

And I still want more Drsden, damnit! :argh:

e: Actually, I'm pretty sure for the longest time I was conflating The Atrocity Archive with John Ringo's Princess of Wands. I have no freaking idea how I managed that, though. But since I just brought it up, Princess of Wands might qualify for the thread - the protagonist is a soccer mom who inadvertently gets tangled in some occult stuff, but her (Christian) faith is so strong that she basically channels God to get out of the situation, and is then recruited by a group that basically keeps all the Cthulhu stuff out of our reality. So you have this prim and proper soccer mom, avatar of the White God having to work alongside druids and norse god worshippers and stuff, it's pretty unique. It's only one book and it's not really a full-length novel, there's like 3 separate stories in it. Oh and Ringo's typical sexism/rapey stuff is nowhere to be found.

Princess of Wands has a sequel Queen of Wands filled with awful monsters and the power of Christ and Freya smiting bad things. John Ringo books why do I keep reading them.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

DJ_Ferret posted:

The big problem with this is the parasite (who I still think is NOT Lash and will likely flip a loving table and throw the book if it turns out IS Lash) is not going to be able to just 'pop out' of Harry, as that would be fatal to our accident prone wizard. Demonreach has stated as plainly as it is able that the parasite popping out without intervention by 'Grasshopper' will result in Harry's Death, not just his debilitation.

It specified that he will die, not how or why. Those are important factors there.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Also a lot has been made of how Soulfire is a special element that excels at creating things, although Harry has mostly used it crudely to blow poo poo up until now. I'm guessing Harry will use Soulfire to somehow make a new body/vessel/soul/skull/whatever for Lash to inhabit, while Molly uses her mind magic powers to copy/paste Lash out of Harry's brain into a new home.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

keiran_helcyan posted:

Also a lot has been made of how Soulfire is a special element that excels at creating things, although Harry has mostly used it crudely to blow poo poo up until now. I'm guessing Harry will use Soulfire to somehow make a new body/vessel/soul/skull/whatever for Lash to inhabit, while Molly uses her mind magic powers to copy/paste Lash out of Harry's brain into a new home.

Doesn't Harry have to do something similar for Bob since he promised to do so "on his power"?

I predict Harry will make a new "home" for Bob, and also stick Lash in it. They both seem to have a 'thing' for collecting knowledge, so it might be a good fit.

I want $5 if my guess is correct.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Jakcson posted:

Doesn't Harry have to do something similar for Bob since he promised to do so "on his power"?

I predict Harry will make a new "home" for Bob, and also stick Lash in it. They both seem to have a 'thing' for collecting knowledge, so it might be a good fit.

I want $5 if my guess is correct.

Making an extremely lecherous spirit share a space with a very sexy fallen angel is trouble waiting to happen.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

veekie posted:

Making an extremely lecherous spirit share a space with a very sexy fallen angel is trouble waiting to happen.

Pretty sure that Lash would destroy Bob out of hand and be the sole inhabitant of the home, there's nothing Bob knows that Lash would not also already know, depending on how much knowledge was copied from Lasciel when she was imprinted in Harry's brain.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

... TV Bob...

I have to say, the one thing I actually did like as an adaption is the hockey stick as a staff...

The hockey stick staff and drumstick-wands were a nice touch. Very clever.

I also liked TV Bob. He was only barely lecherous, which is sad, but it was network TV, so I can't really fault them.

Those things, and Paul Blackthorne, were the only good things about the TV series.

SerSpook posted:

I actually thinnk they could be completely faithful. Give it the Game of Thrones treatment and make each season a single~ish book. Of course, that's not likely to happen.

I've always thought it would be utterly awesome if they do a remake, to have Paul Blackthorne play Nicodemus. That line in--was it DM or Sm.F?-- where Nic tells Harry, "We're really not that different, you and I," would be so awesome with the in-joke that he was Harry in another version of the show. It would work well given that Blackthorne is English, which matches Nic's accent, also.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 17, 2013

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I forget if it was on cracked, or the Arrested Development thread here on the forums, but I remember reading about one of the strong suits of Netflix exclusivity is that episodes can be as long or short as necessary for pacing. I think a Netflix Original Dresden Files show would be perfect, each episode maybe 3-5 chapters long, anywhere from 30m to an hour each, depending on the chapters.

Also, take a look at Afro Samurai and the Boondocks, and tell me you wouldn't watch a similarly-animated Dresden Files? Clean lines, smooth action, and hey, cartoon magic is a hell of a lot cheaper and more convincing than CGI!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't think a cartoon would work for Dresden because part of what makes urban fantasy as a genre work is the gritty realism, and that's a lot harder to achieve in a cartoon. Possible sure but it would take hyperrealistic animation.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think a cartoon would work for Dresden because part of what makes urban fantasy as a genre work is the gritty realism, and that's a lot harder to achieve in a cartoon. Possible sure but it would take hyperrealistic animation.

Haha what? No. Not at all. It'd take too long to explain but trust me when I say that often super realistic is exactly the wrong way to get a mood across with animation.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I would love to see an Odd Thomas TV movie or something. I've been re-reading the first book and I forgot how out there it immediately gets. It's more mystery-spooky magic stuff rather than typical urban fantasy wizard stuff, though, but I'm enjoying it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VanSandman posted:

Haha what? No. Not at all. It'd take too long to explain but trust me when I say that often super realistic is exactly the wrong way to get a mood across with animation.

Not exactly what I'm intending to say I don't think -- I've read Scott McCloud too! I'm saying the urban fantasy / noir genre from which Dresden springs needs a realistic and gritty feel to it. The real urban setting is the contrast that offsets and frames the magic -- much like, say, the film portions of Who Framed Roger Rabbit are the frame around the animation. It needs that contrast to work.

I'm not sure how you'd achieve a similar realistic feel with an animated Dresden series. I mean, I'm sure it's possible, but it would be pretty challenging. It's not something like, say, Wheel of Time that just screams "please turn me into an anime" -- it would take real talent and work to make it work and you'd still probably lose something in translation. I think live action with CGI is the best way to do a Dresden show.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I honestly don't think the Dresden Files are something that would necessarily work as well animated. It could work, certainly, but it'd lose something. I don't think a full season to a book would be that smart a move either. Pretty much everything in the first few books could be done in just a few episodes, end the first season on the Nickelheads in the fifth book. Make Dead Beat roughly half a season and end the second season with Proven Guilty and Molly. Then with White Night we start getting a bit on Outsiders at the start of season three and end that season with Dresden's death and then maybe show him chilling out in that afterlife space in the final shot. Then Ghost Story, Cold Days, Skin Game, etc.

The Wheel of Time would be a pretty awesome animated series though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

WarLocke posted:

I would love to see an Odd Thomas TV movie or something. I've been re-reading the first book and I forgot how out there it immediately gets. It's more mystery-spooky magic stuff rather than typical urban fantasy wizard stuff, though, but I'm enjoying it.

The first Odd Thomas book is Good Fun. The others...not so much.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not exactly what I'm intending to say I don't think -- I've read Scott McCloud too! I'm saying the urban fantasy / noir genre from which Dresden springs needs a realistic and gritty feel to it. The real urban setting is the contrast that offsets and frames the magic -- much like, say, the film portions of Who Framed Roger Rabbit are the frame around the animation. It needs that contrast to work.

I'm not sure how you'd achieve a similar realistic feel with an animated Dresden series. I mean, I'm sure it's possible, but it would be pretty challenging. It's not something like, say, Wheel of Time that just screams "please turn me into an anime" -- it would take real talent and work to make it work and you'd still probably lose something in translation. I think live action with CGI is the best way to do a Dresden show.

I refute you thus: Batman: The Animated Series, from the 90's. The original series animation style, with modern computer animation techniques? Perfect for Dresden.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ConfusedUs posted:

The first Odd Thomas book is Good Fun. The others...not so much.

:ohdear: I'm usually right there with you on book opinions, and I haven't read this series in a long time. I hope I'm not headed into cringeworthy territory...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

WarLocke posted:

:ohdear: I'm usually right there with you on book opinions, and I haven't read this series in a long time. I hope I'm not headed into cringeworthy territory...

I've read the first three Odd books. None are as good as the first.

Like most Koontz books, they're not bad. They're bland.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

DJ_Ferret posted:

Demonreach has stated as plainly as it is able that the parasite popping out without intervention by 'Grasshopper' will result in Harry's Death, not just his debilitation.

To be fair, if there was to be a place where having something explode out of your head wouldn't be immediatly fatal my money would be hell. (or at least the Greek manifestation of hell) Then again Molly might show up to help Harry the second Nicodemus betrays him and solve the problem.

:iiam:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm about to start on Changes, but I went to the bookstore the other day to get Ghost Story and Cold Days. I found Cold Days and thought to myself, "Self, you could read the synopsis on the back. Since you have no idea what this book is about it might be interesting. They wouldn't put any big spoilers back there."

Cold Days posted:

Harry has died and been brought back from the dead. Oh and he's also the Winter Knight now.

God-DAMNIT :suicide:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Travic posted:

I'm about to start on Changes, but I went to the bookstore the other day to get Ghost Story and Cold Days. I found Cold Days and thought to myself, "Self, you could read the synopsis on the back. Since you have no idea what this book is about it might be interesting. They wouldn't put any big spoilers back there."

He's a wizard. This is one of those things that is to be expected.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Travic posted:

Uh, once you get to how that all works out you might be relieved that you know what's going on already. Maybe. All I can tell you is reading the end of Changes without more books to read after it blew.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConfusedUs posted:

I've read the first three Odd books. None are as good as the first.

Like most Koontz books, they're not bad. They're bland.

Odd Apocalypse was much better than the previous books. Then he somewhat squandered that with Deeply Odd.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hawkgirl posted:

Uh, once you get to how that all works out you might be relieved that you know what's going on already. Maybe. All I can tell you is reading the end of Changes without more books to read after it blew.

Holy poo poo, a hundred times this. When I first blew through the series Changes was the last one available.

Changes: James Masters reading of "I used the knife." is loving soul wrenching.

And then, after that love fest, I got to wait another year for the next book! Ugh.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Yeah about that. I saw that there was an acknowledgement section at the beginning of Ghost Story where Butcher was apologizing for something in Changes. What was the controversy? Or is it spoilers?

Also I just realized that since Dresden's main weapon is bluster andd bluffing without actually lying he's been in training for The Winter Knight Olympics for the entire series!

Travic fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 18, 2013

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Dresden's main weapon is going off like a loose cannon. A big thing in the world is that power begets obligation, which puts checks on the power. Dresden throws around his power without any checks on it. His foes constantly believe "no one would do that" so when he does they get blindsided (straight up called out in Proven Guilty and a core part of his plan in Small Favor)

Now he finally can't go off like that (a big part of Ghost Story is realizing he shouldn't have done it) but people think he will continue to do so.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Travic posted:

Yeah about that. I saw that there was an acknowledgement section at the beginning of Ghost Story where Butcher was apologizing for something in Changes. What was the controversy? Or is it spoilers?

It's related to the spoilers you already know, but if you must know: Harry literally dies on the last page of Changes and since he doesn't know what the gently caress just happened, you don't get to know either.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

VanSandman posted:

I refute you thus: Batman: The Animated Series, from the 90's. The original series animation style, with modern computer animation techniques? Perfect for Dresden.

I was going to post this exact same example. The 90's Batman was freakin' awesome. Dresden in that style would work great.

vvv Thanks! :D

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Blasphemeral posted:

I was going to post this exact same example. The 90's Batman was freakin' awesome. Dresden in that style would work great.

"The Dresden does not never kill the poo poo out everything in sight."

Also your avatar is mesmerizing.

• Locked thread