Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
Anyone think Howard Stern is going to respond to Maher talking about him tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Present day Howard Stern is a pussy, the chances are slim.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I rarely watch Overtime, but everyone should watch this week's. I won't spoil it for anyone, but make sure to watch the whole thing. The ending is glorious.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
OT this week was one of the best they've ever had---more informed guests please!

My only real surprise otherwise for the opener was pretty much a total lack of any NSA discussion, which I really thought with Taibbi at the least would be a lock.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Watching the show now. Two things - gently caress you Bill Maher, nuclear power is the ONLY way our species continues to exist without destroying itself, second, reminder: nobody in Maryland actually elected Michael Steele to office, ever. Ever. Everyone here hates him.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

porkfriedrice posted:

Well what does Stern have to lose, who listens and cares anymore?

ICQ posted:

second, reminder: nobody in Maryland actually elected Michael Steele to office, ever. Ever. Everyone here hates him.

He was just just tag-along to Ehrlich who himself was a one-term Governor. 5 years later Steele still coasts on that "credential" ....

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Stern has his stupid network talent show job to lose. Even though he didn't specifically bring it up you know bill was thinking "I got kicked off network tv for my opinion? Look at what this idiot thinks" what that bit.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I loved how that Economist woman started feeling uneasy when they started talking about jailing bankers. "But what would that solve!?!"

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Well, I personally loved when Bill brought up the flooding along the Front Range of Colorado and Bill Nye pipes up with, "Well, that's climate change". Why does he continually try to cheapen the research being done by thousands of scientists?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

Stern has his stupid network talent show job to lose. Even though he didn't specifically bring it up you know bill was thinking "I got kicked off network tv for my opinion? Look at what this idiot thinks" what that bit.

I find most people who dislike Stern do so because "OMG naked ladies on radio!", if anything the masses probably agree with his then lovely opinion of Muslims. These same people probably watch that drivel talent show too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I loved how that Economist woman started feeling uneasy when they started talking about jailing bankers. "But what would that solve!?!"

"It'd get those dirty bankers off the street!"

richardfun posted:

I rarely watch Overtime, but everyone should watch this week's. I won't spoil it for anyone, but make sure to watch the whole thing. The ending is glorious.

Scientists can captivate the panelists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcg-vMGXeVA

Radio Nowhere posted:

I find most people who dislike Stern do so because "OMG naked ladies on radio!", if anything the masses probably agree with his then lovely opinion of Muslims. These same people probably watch that drivel talent show too.

Yea, Stern is a good guy now that he's on AGT in the eyes of many.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I wish they'd do more overtime, everyone just relaxes and stops trying to "win" or whatever and it's much more entertaining. Hell just pass cocktails around and let everyone bullshit for an hour.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Pryor on Fire posted:

I wish they'd do more overtime, everyone just relaxes and stops trying to "win" or whatever and it's much more entertaining. Hell just pass cocktails around and let everyone bullshit for an hour.

For Maher, its more like :350:

I agreed with Seth McFarlane years ago when he said he would like to smoke with Maher, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Breibart, and one other person I can't remember. Just those 4 stoned together would be worth watching.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Did anyone else think David Frum looked like he was overwhelmed trying to remember all the stump counters to every left-wing argument tossed about?

"Obamacare is bad because it'll destroy business in this country."
"Obamacare won't destroy business, it'll just make everyone on it miserable since the employers will move them to part-time to skirt the law."
"Obamacare is putting the onus on the young and currently-jobless to take care of the old, retired, and infirmed."

"GMO foods are completely okay because of all these meaningless comparisons to crossbreeds and pre-DNA-era genetic tinkering. DONKEYS AND TANGERINES! YOU ARE WRONG, MR. DOCUMENTARY MAN."

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

porkfriedrice posted:

Stern is such a "pussy" that he talked about Maher's statements for 20 minutes on Monday. And anyone who thinks Stern would lose his role on AGT for being controversial on his radio show is being silly.

In any case, Maher has asked Stern to appear on Real Time multiple times, so it's not like there's some great animosity.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Frum's streak as an insufferable broken record of a guest continues unabated---you could replace him with an A/V approximation of that Ralph-turning-a-dial-to-no gif and nothing would be lost in translation. It is like he so badly wants to be let back into the proverbial treehouse that he's doomed to become even more of a dead weight caricature.

That said, I fear for next week, as it looks like the sadly now traditional idiocy train will be pulling in for the first time after the summer break via somebody from Reason on the panel...

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Frum was eviscerated on Overtime when asked to defend his terrible medical marijuana position. It was great.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Former Human posted:

Stern is such a "pussy" that he talked about Maher's statements for 20 minutes on Monday. And anyone who thinks Stern would lose his role on AGT for being controversial on his radio show is being silly.

I missed this. Was Stern pissed off at what Maher said? Because I remember watching Maher on Stern twelve years ago and Stern was pretty pissed at Maher about his 9/11 comments. I'm pretty sure that they have never been on each others shows since. There has got to be at some animosity still lingering around.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I wouldn't say pissed, more confused than anything. Stern said his own comments right after 9/11 were hyperbole and done for laughs, something Maher should understand since he's a comedian, and Stern wondered why Maher was still harping on an incident from 12 years ago. Stern also said he watches Real Time pretty often and has been asked to do the show, but decided not to because he isn't well-versed enough in politics and it would make for a bad appearance.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I was glad Bill touched on the latest weekly gun disaster. I was tired of hearing many on TV purporting that one couldn't kill dozens with a rudimentary shotgun. It was also another healthy reminder that security guards with guns are not some sort of panacea like the NRA has been touting. The notion that introducing more guns into an environment may escalate the chaos is a foreign concept to many. I haven't found an article yet that's detailed whether or not Aaron Alexis used the Beretta he took from the security guard he shot to kill any of the dozen however.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Obamacare won't destroy business, it'll just make everyone on it miserable since the employers will move them to part-time to skirt the law."

Hasn't that already started to happen?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I didn't see Frum on Maher (haaate the show), but on All In with Chris Hayes, when Chris hosted it, David Frum was the most insufferable Token Conservative you can imagine. You just have to wonder whether their talking points are real or printed out from some website.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What makes you haaate Real Time?

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Zogo posted:

I was glad Bill touched on the latest weekly gun disaster. I was tired of hearing many on TV purporting that one couldn't kill dozens with a rudimentary shotgun. It was also another healthy reminder that security guards with guns are not some sort of panacea like the NRA has been touting. The notion that introducing more guns into an environment may escalate the chaos is a foreign concept to many. I haven't found an article yet that's detailed whether or not Aaron Alexis used the Beretta he took from the security guard he shot to kill any of the dozen however.
I'm glad he did this too. It just goes to show that pretty much any kind of gun is capable of mass murder. I really don't see how talking heads on the news really believe that an AR-15 is the only legal weapon in America that's capable of killing a dozen people with a few seconds. We've all seen the movies, a loving handgun could easily take out a dozen people.

Zogo posted:

Hasn't that already started to happen?
Yes, it has. When I still worked in the restaurant industry a few months ago they were already cutting the hours of people that have even been there for 10+ years with the company. It was obvious that they were weeding out people that had problems with 30 hours or less.

Pretty hosed up.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I really wish Frum would have answered Joy Behar when she asked him "if conservatives think Obamacare has so many problems, why can't they introduce ways to fix the problems?" It infuriates me that is never answered by conservatives and most of the media lets them get away with it. I know the answer is probably "it can't be fixed", but just once I wish they would at least pretend to have a serious answer.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

limp_cheese posted:

I really wish Frum would have answered Joy Behar when she asked him "if conservatives think Obamacare has so many problems, why can't they introduce ways to fix the problems?" It infuriates me that is never answered by conservatives and most of the media lets them get away with it. I know the answer is probably "it can't be fixed", but just once I wish they would at least pretend to have a serious answer.

Aiming for the stars, are we?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

limp_cheese posted:

He can't because that would be breaking the conservative omerta. Frum's already been fired a few times for apostasy. Now that Newsweek's basically dead if he loses another gig he'll be doomed to wander the Third Way desert with Michael Steele for the rest of his days. A man cannot live on sporadic MSNBC guest appearances alone.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

What makes you haaate Real Time?
Bill Maher, more than anything else. It kinda makes it hard for a good discussion to happen, if Maher is evasive, when people push back against him. He wants it to be more of a left circlejerk.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Ugh, who the gently caress are these two useless tits on the panel? CATO's junior league?

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

comes along bort posted:

Ugh, who the gently caress are these two useless tits on the panel? CATO's junior league?

I think one of them writes for Reason, which shouldn't surprise anyone. (It's the site that gave us Man In A Comically Terrible Jacket, Nick Gillespie)

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Thankfully Reich was on the panel to help alleviate the terrible and aided in OT by Robbins and the drug researcher much the same, but wow at Mehta managing to beat out the Reason chump in terms of being awful. "Purple" incoherent and ignorant ranting coupled with my nearly wanting to throw the tv out the window when she put her anecdotal family up on the cross as a shining beacon of "Look, we're so awesome we're not even a contemptible minority anymore~". I can't say I approve of this new gambit to make Reason lackeys more palatable by trotting out somebody vocally closer to the Reason folk's internal monologue---best bet would still be to stop artificially propping them up on the show as if they are somehow the only underdog voice in the fight.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Was it true what that guy said that social mobility has improved with the poorest from 47% not moving up to 43%?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Does no one here like Reason magazine? I know it leans libertarian but I thought they put out a lot of interesting articles (not all of them are diametrically opposed to Real Time's demographic).

Also, why are these purple ideas and groups inherently bad?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Was it true what that guy said that social mobility has improved with the poorest from 47% not moving up to 43%?

I doubt the guy would lie outright but there wasn't enough elaboration on what that was in reference to (just like nearly all stats cited on TV shows). Why start 40 years ago at 1970? There may be a reason.

Social mobility wasn't defined nor was poorness.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zogo posted:

Does no one here like Reason magazine? I know it leans libertarian but I thought they put out a lot of interesting articles (not all of them are diametrically opposed to Real Time's demographic).

I doubt the guy would lie outright but there wasn't enough elaboration on what that was in reference to (just like nearly all stats cited on TV shows). Why start 40 years ago at 1970? There may be a reason.

Social mobility wasn't defined nor was poorness.

40 years is typically how this stuff is measured. Every 40 years is considered an entirely new generation going into middle age.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Reason gets a lot of heat these days, mainly because of how they feel like a relic from the nineties. Back then it felt sort of edgy to hold those economic views - contrarian fluff, but really INTERESTING contrarian fluff.

And now their message has been dumbed down by people like Paul and elements of the tea party, and meanwhile Reason refuses to renounce the socially conservative elements of the tea party.

Its an odd situation all around.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

Because they're negotiating a middle ground between neoliberalism and batshit insanity.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There's nothing that annoys me more than some self-righteous smug prick who says they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps so everyone should be able to. How sheltered does one have to be to honestly think that is a realistic thing? I'd suggest some volunteer work, preferably with the homeless or mentally ill, then we can have a meaningful conversation.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah! Everyone let's go open a "General Store" in a strip mall right across the street from a Wal Mart! I'm sure that will work out well! It's 1850 in America again!

Most likely our "bootstraps" will be cut immediately due to the fact we won't even be able to "rent" the space from the Corporate Strip mall owners, unless we are already a national chain of some sort and even then it would be $25k per month.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

You just aren't working hard enough :colbert:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

That final new rule was really stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

How sheltered does one have to be to honestly think that is a realistic thing? I'd suggest some volunteer work, preferably with the homeless or mentally ill, then we can have a meaningful conversation.

If one is successful it's all about self-determinism of course. If one is not successful it's random luck and chance. An existential game of let's make a deal.

comes along bort posted:

Because they're negotiating a middle ground between neoliberalism and batshit insanity.

Can you give an example or two of what they're trying to negotiate?