Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

eggrolled posted:

What starting zone did you guys enjoy the most?

I don't really care about the initial class since I can change easily enough later, but when I tried out the game on a friend's account, I started in Gridania which felt kind of... meh. I actually felt like Gridania was kind of disorienting and found it really confusing to get around. :buddy: Are Uldah or Limsa better? I know it's kind of s ubjective question, but am still curious. :)

I'm actually really enjoying Ul'dah, I played through all the starting zones and I think its definitely my favourite. Plus at night time you get some pretty lovely music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfEyhHnQhg4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

eggrolled posted:

I don't really care about the initial class since I can change easily enough later, but when I tried out the game on a friend's account, I started in Gridania which felt kind of... meh. I actually felt like Gridania was kind of disorienting and found it really confusing to get around. :buddy: Are Uldah or Limsa better? I know it's kind of s ubjective question, but am still curious. :)

Ul'dah are a bunch of greedy merchant bastards and mercenaries, their scenery is all desert and steppe style terrain

Limsa is a bunch of pirates and traders, their scenery is all coastal seaside cliffs and beaches with jungles in the interior

You'll have access to all three areas fairly quickly regardless of where you start, but since your starting city is tied to your class, you won't be able to (easily) travel to the other areas till level 15 (which does not take long)

Both Ul'dah and Limsa's areas are indeed much easier to navigate than the forest around Gridania.

I like all three :v:

edit: Also I cannot unhear the superman theme song during daytime in Ul'dah. Gridania has the lord of the rings shire thing going on.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Sheep posted:

The cities are indeed pretty terrible, especially Limsa whatever. It's always such a pain trying to figure out where you need to go, not to mention all the wasted, unused space that is just devoted to making you run farther because immersion or whatever.

What wasted, unused space?

Look at 1.0 for some actual user-unfriendliness for immersion. You see all those transitions within cities, like Limsa's upper and lower decks, and the city exits? Those transitions did not exist in 1.0. You had to manually run through every tunnel in Gridania, and across every bridge and ramp in Limsa Lominsa.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
My one dislike for the paladin quest line is the fact that your loving captain tries to kill you -AFTER- he gives you a full god damned set of armor (minus chest)

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
NeoBastok is obviously the best city.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
How are Gridanians assholes? They were described as isolationist and a bit xenophobic, but as a Conjurer they never seemed all that bad. They're weird, because of all the elemental appeasement they do so that the forest doesn't swallow them whole, but they seemed like pretty decent people to me. Is there a horrible dark side where they cast people out and they turn into bandits because there's no other way to survive?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Grondoth posted:

How are Gridanians assholes? They were described as isolationist and a bit xenophobic, but as a Conjurer they never seemed all that bad. They're weird, because of all the elemental appeasement they do so that the forest doesn't swallow them whole, but they seemed like pretty decent people to me. Is there a horrible dark side where they cast people out and they turn into bandits because there's no other way to survive?

Read the duskwight elezen lore

play the archer storyline

They're all a bunch of fucks.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Doublestep posted:

Read the duskwight elezen lore

play the archer storyline

They're all a bunch of fucks.

The lancer story, too. Foulques hates the Lancer's Guild and thinks they're cowardly because he was incorrectly accused of theft, but none of his guildmates would defend a Duskwight.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Sheep posted:

The cities are indeed pretty terrible, especially Limsa whatever. It's always such a pain trying to figure out where you need to go, not to mention all the wasted, unused space that is just devoted to making you run farther because immersion or whatever.

I actually found Ul'dah to be far worse than Limsa, just because of how much loving space they put between each of the Aethernet crystals. Each entrance to Limsa leads to either an Aethernet crystal, or the Aetheryte plaza, and the crystals are all placed in such a way that getting to your destination from one is fairly painless. Getting around in Ul'dah, on the other hand, far more difficult because none of the loving crystals are in places that make sense, and they don't have a crystal near the market (unless you count the one on the other side of the loading screen).

And if you're not using Aethernet to get around then get the gently caress on that.

eggrolled posted:

I personally really liked Limsa, but Ul'dah is also pretty good. Gridania is really the worst of the three cities to start in.

ED:

Grondoth posted:

Wait'll you get to the Little Ala Mhigo part of the story. They really reveal themselves as xenophobic fucks there.

Ed2: They also have a zero tolerance policy with poachers (which shows up in one of the quarrymill quests) where they dole out punishments far worse than the crime being committed. Between that and Toto-rak, I get the impression the Gridanians maintain their peaceful way of life by locking up or throwing out anybody who doesn't match up to that way of life.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 17, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

The Chairman posted:

The lancer story, too. Foulques hates the Lancer's Guild and thinks they're cowardly because he was incorrectly accused of theft, but none of his guildmates would defend a Duskwight.

He wasn't incorrectly accused of theft, he was a part of a trio and the other 2 didn't step up when he admitted to the theft, then the duskwight racism occured.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Grondoth posted:

Is there a horrible dark side where they cast people out and they turn into bandits because there's no other way to survive?

I think that is exactly what Ala Mhigans are? Except they're also dicks who tried to invade Gridania so it's understandable?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Lance Streetman posted:

I actually found Ul'dah to be far worse than Limsa, just because of how much loving space they put between each of the Aethernet crystals. Each entrance to Limsa leads to either an Aethernet crystal, or the Aetheryte plaza, and the crystals are all placed in such a way that getting to your destination from one is fairly painless. Getting around in Ul'dah, on the other hand, far more difficult because none of the loving crystals are in places that make sense, and they don't have a crystal near the market (unless you count the one on the other side of the loading screen).

And if you're not using Aethernet to get around then get the gently caress on that.

This only works if you memorize what exit is near what crystal or pull up the map and check first. They could definitely make the Aethernet menu a bit more informative, or just pull up a map (or two!) and let you click where you want to go, which would probably be the best option.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've really gotta make up my mind on what to level. As of just now I have 40 lancer, 35 marauder, 31 gladiator, and 30 thaumaturge, with a smattering of the rest as required. Eesh!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, if I have the PC version, I have to buy a PS3 copy to play it on my PS3?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Verranicus posted:

So, if I have the PC version, I have to buy a PS3 copy to play it on my PS3?

You have to buy a copy for each platform you're playing on, but you can play the same character/account.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It puzzles me why more Arcanists don't cross-class the DOTs from the other two disciples of magic.

It's free DPS and both your jobs are able to use them.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ronco Showtime posted:

You have to buy a copy for each platform you're playing on, but you can play the same character/account.

Can you download the PS3 version if you get a code or do you need a boxed copy? Also, have they even enabled digital sales again yet?

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 17, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It puzzles me why more Arcanists don't cross-class the DOTs from the other two disciples of magic.

Aero is useful at the lower levels, but by the time you start learning a few more spells it's largely useless, as Bio does the same thing but better. There's no reason to not cross-class thunder, though.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the same as why everybody fights things solo. In this game, all you have to do is deal 20% of the damage and you get credit, you get XP just the same and you even get quest credit.
I saw that popup, so the SO and I both know that little detail, what I didn't know was that it was 20%. Arcanists DO rock, but with cast times and such, sometimes it's hard to get that 20% in on a tapped mob vs. some of the faster DPS classes. But now I know why I sometimes will get a Rat's rear end in a top hat filling a quest to-do list when I'm sharing a mob with someone, but more often, not.

Zaphod42 posted:

And yet here I am level 30 and there's still people all around me that run after a mob, but then when I tag it, they ignore it and go looking for new ones. Then I /t them and let them know, and they're like "oh poo poo really?" :doh:
I've seen this a bit, too.
I think I'm going to make m'self Yet Another Awesome Macro that puts that in /say or /yell.

Oh, that's another anti-spambot effort that I've taken. I've turned off both /shout and /yell. Sometimes I come across an 'Asdf Ghjk' character standing in the inn repeating 'v' over and over. Not sure what's broken there, but I imagine they'd be /say bots if they weren't broken? :iiam:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You'll note that the macro samples I posted a few pages back included Aero. I've been so busy pushing for 30 on my ARC that I haven't stopped long enough to pick up Thunder yet. I added Bio II to my rotation this morning, too. 5 DOTs and poo poo falls down pretty quick.

I think my current plan is to get ACN/THM/CNJ all to 30 and ARC to 15 for maximum castery jobbiness.

Schubalts posted:

What wasted, unused space?

Look at 1.0 for some actual user-unfriendliness for immersion. You see all those transitions within cities, like Limsa's upper and lower decks, and the city exits? Those transitions did not exist in 1.0. You had to manually run through every tunnel in Gridania, and across every bridge and ramp in Limsa Lominsa.
Really?
Every time I come up to one of those dotted blue lines, I think how much more I'd like it (and how much more easily I'd remember where poo poo is) if I could run through the whole city without a drat loading screen, like...oh, every city in WoW. Even if they were divided into "seamless' zones with the box-shaped entrances or some such, I'd be OK with that. The ramps of Limsa Lominsa in particular seem like perfect candidates for WoW-style seamless zone transitions.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 17, 2013

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zaphod42 posted:

From playing EQ, FFXI, and even WoW to some extent, lots of players are trained to wait for a rez. Even though in FFXIV this is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY. But that's the breaks. :v:

Its the same as why everybody fights things solo. In this game, all you have to do is deal 20% of the damage and you get credit, you get XP just the same and you even get quest credit.

You can go through your quests 10x faster if you just whack everything everybody else is fighting. There's absolutely no need to be the first to target a mob.

And yet, because people are used to FFXI/WoW, they assume you have to have the mob tagged to get full credit. In Square's defense on this one, the game actually did have a popup which tells you this very clearly, the person who tags gets full credit automatically, and everybody else gets credit if they contributed enough.

And yet here I am level 30 and there's still people all around me that run after a mob, but then when I tag it, they ignore it and go looking for new ones. Then I /t them and let them know, and they're like "oh poo poo really?" :doh:

I do love how some people simultaneously bitch that the game is too easy / tells you too much obvious information, and then later complain there's things they didn't know (Like the threat meters). Pick one, dudes.

People can't/don't read.

Dead Space makes it really clear to players through environmental messages, voice clips, tutorial pop-ups, etc. to shoot the limbs. There are people who complained online that the enemies were too tough or that headshots didn't take them down.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zaphod42 posted:

Everybody says this, but I gotta wonder if you're doing them wrong or something. I get WAAAAY more XP from doing fieldleves than from just grinding. You don't get to keep the mats, true, that's the tradeoff. But I get like seriously twice as much XP than if I'd spent that time grinding. I really, really don't think this is true.

Especially that slower boring middle 15-30 part, tradeleves are the way to do it. Grinding slows down and takes foreeeever.

Make sure you get the +25% or +35% bonus from the ones that have you turn in items to meet a certain quality. Its very easy to reach the number (320?) every single time as long as you're even remotely geared for your level. I turn these in over and over with the highest bonus every single time. Its definitely worth it. If you're not getting the bonus you're doing it wrong, and that would explain why it doesn't feel "worth doing". I've never failed to get the top quality bonus. Its really easy; don't go for the harder material. Slow and steady wins the race. Gather the one that has a higher chance over and over and over, and the 7s add up more than a spotty 9 here and there would.
I level about 50% faster doing tradeleves than straight grinding as well. The biggie is that tradeleve nodes get something like 6 strikes as opposed to the normal 4, and the final 2 strikes can chain 50% bonuses. The downside is you can't strike HQ materials so you lose the potential 200% bonus experience at ~15%-25% odds on each strike. In my mind this is pretty much a wash, but it does mean you shouldn't lose experience on hitting tradeleve nodes over normal nodes due to lack of HQ.

The actual tradeleve experience is pretty decent though, especially if you do get the 25% bonus one, and this is really what puts you ahead on the time to level.

It's still a pretty big slog though, and you do have to burn multiple tradeleves if you're not going off rest experience. I did 32->33 with leves and no rest experience and it still took ~6 leves.

suction
Jul 17, 2009
Can crafted gears be competitive with gears you get from endgame dungeons?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

suction posted:

Can crafted gears be competitive with gears you get from endgame dungeons?
Nope

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Not entirely true, you can craft ilvl 70 stuff that can be socketed with materia, making it equivalent or possibly even better than the current best non Coil gear

... except doing so is insanely expensive in terms of Philosophy stones, which you could just use to gear yourself out in Darklight soooo :shobon:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
For EQ nerds, did anyone else think Coerthas Highlands had a very Marus Seru/Sanctus Seru vibe going, except for the fact that their city looks like Katta Castellum?

I hope they eventually open that city in a content patch. Maybe as a raid so I can kill those fanatical fuckers. So many times in that quest line I wished I could just blow those pompous xenophobes up and take what I needed instead of playing Game of Thrones or whatever.

boho fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 17, 2013

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Is there any penalty to quitting dungeons besides not being able to queue again for 15 minutes? These three beginner dungeons will be the death of me. It's awesome queueing for an hour each time to get grouped with two complete retards and one LoL reject who constantly bitches at everyone without offering any advice. :shepicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

boho posted:

For EQ nerds, did anyone else think Coerthas Highlands had a very Marus Seru/Sanctus Seru vibe going, except for the fact that their city looks like Katta Castellum?

I hope they eventually open that city in a content patch. Maybe as a raid so I can kill those fanatical fuckers. So many times in that quest line I wished I could just blow those pompous xenophobes up and take what I needed instead of playing Game of Thrones or whatever.

Heretic spotted :commissar:

Speaking of Ishgard, is their religion explained anywhere, like the nature of the Holy See and such, or do they just generally worship the twelve same as the rest of Eorzea?

eta: i typed Isengard by mistake twice, damnit

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Is there any penalty to quitting dungeons besides not being able to queue again for 15 minutes? These three beginner dungeons will be the death of me. It's awesome queueing for an hour each time to get grouped with two complete retards and one LoL reject who constantly bitches at everyone without offering any advice. :shepicide:

I actually have found the level of play/teamwork to be higher than in other games. I'm not sure if this is because it's been a year since I've been playing MMO's so everyone understands basic dungeon theory more, or whether it's because I'm the tank and that eliminates the possibility of me having to deal with a shithead tank which is the worst.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Just got this but both Exodus and Excalibur seem to be full. :(

Are server transfers going to be free or is it going to be something I have to pay like :20bux: for? I want to play but I want to play with goons so I'm not sure if I should just roll someplace random or what...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Are server transfers going to be free or is it going to be something I have to pay like :20bux: for? I want to play but I want to play with goons so I'm not sure if I should just roll someplace random or what...

I'd roll on that cactus server mentioned in the OP and then transfer later if it's something you want to do.

Edit: VVV Nevermind I guess? I'd wait 1 server lock rotation (4 hours?) and if they aren't up I'd just start on another server and transfer in awhile.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 17, 2013

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'd roll on that cactus server mentioned in the OP and then transfer later if it's something you want to do.

Every server mentioned in the OP is locked now (there's only 4 that aren't in the US at this time).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verranicus posted:

Can you download the PS3 version if you get a code or do you need a boxed copy? Also, have they even enabled digital sales again yet?

Quoting myself since I didn't get an answer. Can you get a code for the PS3 version and just download it, or do you need a physical disk?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

A handful of us are on ultros and we have a linkshell, but it's not terribly active.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

The servers open up during non-peak times. It should not be surprising that they are closed during NA primetime this close to release.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

I think that is exactly what Ala Mhigans are? Except they're also dicks who tried to invade Gridania so it's understandable?

As I understand it, Ala Mhigo was a citystate somewhere ruled by a horrible tyrant, and the people eventually rose up and threw down the corrupt government, but the Empire was waiting for the civil war and pushed everyone out completely from the city. The citizens became the refugees at Little Ala Mhigo, the ex-Royal guards became those deathtalker bandits in the area. Basically they're a nation of people without a city to call home and totally destitute.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Log on around five or so in the morning, I was able to create a char on every high pop server I wanted to.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
There's a lot of blubbering on the official forums about the endgame, but I find ARR's launch endgame activities pretty decent. All the primal fights are great and a great deal more complex than their story mode versions, and they drop decent weapons. Amdapor Keep is a pretty laid back trash grind that I've found to be one of the more social activities in FFXIV. The Relic quest bosses were extremely difficult to coordinate with pugs but very rewarding when we finally beat them, and I imagine it'll be much easier to do on alts now that I've learned the fights. I have yet to touch coil but I'm told it's probably the best thing in the game right now, so it's something to look forward to!

In short, I'd say this is one of the better MMO launch endgames we've participated in. That isn't to say it won't grow stale in time, but it's certainly better than, say, Guild Wars 2's.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Quoting myself since I didn't get an answer. Can you get a code for the PS3 version and just download it, or do you need a physical disk?

Last I checked a few hours ago, FFXIV still wasn't available for download on PSN, so the answer is no, you'll need to find a disc somewhere. I'm not sure how you'd download it with just the code anyways since you need to get it from the Playstation Store, unless it's one of those redeemable code things, which I kind of doubt.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

There's a lot of blubbering on the official forums about the endgame, but I find ARR's launch endgame activities pretty decent. All the primal fights are great and a great deal more complex than their story mode versions, and they drop decent weapons. Amdapor Keep is a pretty laid back trash grind that I've found to be one of the more social activities in FFXIV. The Relic quest bosses were extremely difficult to coordinate with pugs but very rewarding when we finally beat them, and I imagine it'll be much easier to do on alts now that I've learned the fights. I have yet to touch coil but I'm told it's probably the best thing in the game right now, so it's something to look forward to!

In short, I'd say this is one of the better MMO launch endgames we've participated in. That isn't to say it won't grow stale in time, but it's certainly better than, say, Guild Wars 2's.

The endgame would be better in every way if tomestones, and the loot and crafting materials from tomestones, simply didn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ciaphas posted:

Heretic spotted :commissar:

Speaking of Ishgard, is their religion explained anywhere, like the nature of the Holy See and such, or do they just generally worship the twelve same as the rest of Eorzea?

eta: i typed Isengard by mistake twice, damnit

They appear to acknowledge the Twelve, but really only worship Halone.

Expansion storyline speculation:
It's all but assured at this point that Ishgard is going to be first expansion content, and I'm pretty sure I know how it's going to go down. Gaius' converation in the Praetorium is going to wind up being somewhat prophetic. Just as he said, a weak or desperate ruler is going to try and summon the Twelve just like any other Eikon and cause the EXACT same problems no different from a beastman. And what nation do we know that is the perfect mix of devout and desperate to do such a thing?

Yeah. Ishgard is going to be egged into summoning Halone by the Ascians in the first expansion. The player characters will either A) Be supporting the Pope in trying to stop a misguided sect of fanatics from doing this or B) Be supporting a plucky band of more sane theologians in stopping the Pope from doing this.

• Locked thread