Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I haven't been picking up the print issues so I can't say for sure if the difference is that stark in every print vs digital comparison. It might be that this particular issue was just so bad that DC ordered a redo. Nevertheless, I've seen other questionable art in Injustice that really seemed to be a bad coloring/inking job on some nice pencils.

Considering one of the "Look how doofy the art is!" posts in the Funny Panels Thread was of a Kevin Maguire piece, I have a feeling that's a fair assessment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Neither of those looks good but the fixed version looks light years better. Holy poo poo DC has incompetent inkers and colorists.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really like the stand alone issues with the kid remembering meeting Superman and Flash's issue. Also Superman straight up beating Ollie to death is pretty insane .

How long is Injustice slated to last anyway? It really seems like the story is possibly nearing its end.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hollis posted:

I really like the stand alone issues with the kid remembering meeting Superman and Flash's issue. Also Superman straight up beating Ollie to death is pretty insane .

How long is Injustice slated to last anyway? It really seems like the story is possibly nearing its end.

The print version has December's issue like the final one but the solicit ends with a 'By now' so probably they will launch mini series like with the Arkham line or maybe relaunch the title with another name.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Huh. I think that means that next week is the final issue, not counting the Annual. Dang.

Here are things that have yet to happen to bridge the gap:

- Hal Jordan leaves the Green Lantern Corps to join with Sinestro.
- Sinestro and Black Adam offer their services to Superman.
- Catwoman joins Superman, essentially betraying Batman.
- Superman officially takes over the world.

So yeah, all that's really left now is for Superman to do more devious things and Batman to not be crippled. Makes sense that it would be wrapping up.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
You know there are surprisingly few elseworlds where the premise is Kryptonians actually migrating to Earth.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I freakin' love this thread, cuz it's inspiring me to dig out a bunch of great comics that I'd forgotten about. Right now I'm re-reading "The Golden Age" by James Robinson. It basically covers what happened to the first wave of superheroes, from the end of WWII to the mid-1950s. I should read this and "DC: The New Frontier" by Darwyn Cooke at the same time. Then I'd have a great in-my-head continuity of post-Golden/pre-Silver Age DC that would be way better than whatever New 52 has in store.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
My one problem with Speeding Bullets is that it falls into a similar trap as the "Clark always becomes Superman" motif, in that Lex Luthor and the Joker had to be combined. Why? Because...yeah just because. it's not that much different from the Joker/Sinestro pairing in the Batman/Green Lantern Elseworld.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

picosecond posted:

I freakin' love this thread, cuz it's inspiring me to dig out a bunch of great comics that I'd forgotten about. Right now I'm re-reading "The Golden Age" by James Robinson. It basically covers what happened to the first wave of superheroes, from the end of WWII to the mid-1950s. I should read this and "DC: The New Frontier" by Darwyn Cooke at the same time. Then I'd have a great in-my-head continuity of post-Golden/pre-Silver Age DC that would be way better than whatever New 52 has in store.

I think Marvel had a series about superheroes who existed between Steve Rogers being frozen in the 40's and the Fantastic Four forming in the 80's. Also was there a elseworld where Clark lost his powers and Batman trained him in the art of super heroism as a normal? That wasn't Act Of God. I've heard occasional references to such a thing.

Also not nearly enough Captain Marvel elseworlds. The DC one to be clear.

Mind Loving Owl fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 14, 2013

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Also was there a elseworld where Clark lost his powers and Batman trained him in the art of super heroism as a normal? That wasn't Act Of God. I've heard occasional references to such a thing.
That was Nova, which was also the inspiration for 52's Supernova.

"You're just jealous of my sweet new costume, Batman!"

EDIT: I just noticed that Superman is apparently just gonna change in front of them.

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 15, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Guy dressed like a blue bat next to the guy dressed like Robin Hood: "That costume is silly, you'll get clobbered!"

Though now that I think about it, it's not really about the costume, just expositing that's the costume Superman will wear now and that he'll get clobbered because he doesn't have powers. It's still dumb.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Silver age Batman and Superman ranged somewhere between dicks and petulant children.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Guy dressed like a blue bat next to the guy dressed like Robin Hood: "That costume is silly, you'll get clobbered!"

I like to think it's more "If you go out in that costume you'll be clobbered!" like a bunch of 13-year-old girls.

"Purple and green, Superman? Like, gross!" as Luthor fumes in the corner.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

SombreroAgnew posted:

"You're just jealous of my sweet new costume, Batman!"

EDIT: I just noticed that Superman is apparently just gonna change in front of them.

I like the costume, the collar is a bit much but overall it'd be great for a more overtly Kryptonian hero oddly enough. And sometimes heroes back then seemed to fight each other and their loved ones more than actual villains.

Also Batman's Shameful Secret > An Imaginary Thread: We Stopped Talking About Ruins And Stuff!

TwoPair posted:

"Purple and green, Superman? Like, gross!" as Luthor fumes in the corner.

Ah Pre-Crises Luthor, wasn't he only evil because Superboy was tangentially the cause of his hair loss?

Premeditated Toast posted:

My one problem with Speeding Bullets is that it falls into a similar trap as the "Clark always becomes Superman" motif, in that Lex Luthor and the Joker had to be combined. Why? Because...yeah just because. it's not that much different from the Joker/Sinestro pairing in the Batman/Green Lantern Elseworld.

At least they provide some interesting reasoning for the Superman reversion. Batman needs to be a physically normal human because a super-powered being using his methods is a terror. One which extends to the innocent.

Superman Inc is pretty bleh but the opening is pretty sad. Falls into the "mainstream continuity is the right and correct version of things" trap. Any of you guys got some theory for why that keeps happening in elseworlds?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Readers might get disheartened by a parade of worlds preferable to the one they normally read about, maybe?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Superman Inc is pretty bleh but the opening is pretty sad. Falls into the "mainstream continuity is the right and correct version of things" trap. Any of you guys got some theory for why that keeps happening in elseworlds?

Injustice (the game) fell into that trap pretty bad. Ok, yeah, a world with an evil dictator Superman is bad, but the mainstream DC heroes immediately start beating the poo poo out of everyone without really asking questions because things are different, and that will not stand. At one point, Yellow Lantern Hal Jordan tries to explain his position to Green Lantern Hal, only for him to cut himself off and start a stupid fight.

It also really hurt the tension of the story that every single time you played as a Proper Universe character in a mirror match with his alternate counterpart, you won completely. Not even "ugh, we're equal in power, but hold on something breaks up our fight", straight up passed out evil twins. It made it really difficult to take the bad guys seriously.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Has there ever been an ongoing elseworld? Not like a remake, reboot or remimagining but an actual elseworld.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Has there ever been an ongoing elseworld? Not like a remake, reboot or remimagining but an actual elseworld.

There was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_%26_Batman:_Generations

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not "elseworlds" per se, but there was an ongoing Spider-Girl series that took place in an alternate universe. Also all of the 2099 books.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Heroes Reborn and Marvel's MC2 line (Spider-Girl's universe) would also count.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Spider Man 2099 is loving awesome and still is. So is Punisher 2099, seriously. It's amazing.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

picosecond posted:

Heroes Reborn and Marvel's MC2 line (Spider-Girl's universe) would also count.

Heroes Reborn, probably an elseworld to avoid. It's like they were asking what if Liefeld could have ruined classic Marvel characters from the start.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Hollis posted:

Spider Man 2099 is loving awesome and still is. So is Punisher 2099, seriously. It's amazing.

It's not awesome. IT'S ON THE EDGE!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

The Question IRL posted:

It's not awesome. IT'S ON THE EDGE!

That's why the Punisher book is so awesome. Also, a good bit of it was written by Pat Mills of 2000 AD fame. So yeah it's intentionally dark and disturbing to the point of absurdity.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Hollis posted:

I really enjoyed Doom 2099 as well, until (in what is becoming a theme in this thread) Ellis got turned loose on it and killed everyone in Latveria and all the supporting characters and it was terrible.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Hollis posted:

That's why the Punisher book is so awesome. Also, a good bit of it was written by Pat Mills of 2000 AD fame. So yeah it's intentionally dark and disturbing to the point of absurdity.

I've heard one line from that book that always makes me laugh.

quote:

"He let him live?"

"Nope, shot him in the head!"

It sounds so jolly. I found it kind of cool in the 2099 world there were Thor worshippers. Not a lot of comics take into consideration the religious ramifications of mythological beings running around as superheroes.

Also if I remember correctly there's a Thor story about him going all Miracleman on us after New York nukes Asgard.

And yeah Ellis should probably stick to his own creations. Hell maybe having a guy who dislikes superhero comics write them all the time is a bad idea. Man only had like two or three decent superheroes satires in him anyway. Case in point, those three books he wrote about superhero arseholes who over step their bounds and gently caress up the world. And all the tedium The Boys provided.

Edit: Wait Boys was Ennis wasn't it?

Mind Loving Owl fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 17, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Punisher 2099 book was pure on Judge Dredd dystopian future bleakness. I mean at one point I think he sets up his own private prison and electric chair and then starts stacking guys into the electric chair two at a time.

Yes The Boys was Garth Ennis.

I think what's really interesting is that the future Doom knows must come to pass (Doomworld) happens in 2099. Like Doom is in control of the World, Spider Man works for him and so does the Punisher.

I enjoyed 2099 Spider-Man alot, he had a cool design, interesting character etc.. I dunno I just liked him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

It sounds so jolly. I found it kind of cool in the 2099 world there were Thor worshippers. Not a lot of comics take into consideration the religious ramifications of mythological beings running around as superheroes.

My favorite part of 2099 was the awesome bookend twist. Miguel becomes Spider-Man 2099 and it's said early on that he'll be the first of many reborn heroes. The X-Men, Hulk, Ghost Rider, etc. will come to pass culminating in the return of Thor. Spider-Man 2099 is the herald of Thor 2099.

Then they came out with a finale comic to end the 2099 line and in it, Miguel lifts Mjolnir. Not only is he the herald of Thor 2099... he IS Thor 2099! It slows down his aging and he wields the hammer for a thousand years before retiring in peace.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What?! Which book is that? I only think I read up to the Doom 2099 stuff.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Thor religion was kind of a thread that united the 2099 books, which obviously culminated with Miguel Thor. They showed up in minor ways in pretty much all the stories and character back stories, some more than others. It made the finale come of extremely smoothly.

Speaking of books that were nowhere near so smooth, who wants to talk about New Universe? Does that count as an Elseworlds or just a comic imprint?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hollis posted:

What?! Which book is that? I only think I read up to the Doom 2099 stuff.

2099: Manifest Destiny

Either way, everything 2099 was better than that lovely Kirkman attempt at rebooting Marvel 2099. I think his Punisher 2099 one-shot can be summed up with, "Be the Punisher? But I don't wanna! (THE END)"

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

The Thor religion was kind of a thread that united the 2099 books, which obviously culminated with Miguel Thor. They showed up in minor ways in pretty much all the stories and character back stories, some more than others. It made the finale come of extremely smoothly.

Speaking of books that were nowhere near so smooth, who wants to talk about New Universe? Does that count as an Elseworlds or just a comic imprint?

Well it was pretty short lived and I can't see it getting much attention elsewhere so why not? I mainly remember self insert fanfic Green Lantern rip off, or as we mortal call it, Star Brand.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
God drat I loving love 2099. My dad collected comics in the '90's, so I read the first issue of Spider-Man 2099, all chrome and '90's as poo poo. Was that Kirkman attempt Marvel Knight's 2099? Yeah, that was pretty poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
New Universe was interesting because it was Marvel's kind of attempt to do a more mature line. Starbrand was loving dark, the main character blows up Philadelphia goes insane etc..

What I think is cool about Infinity is that it keeps going back to this White Event, which was also a occurence in NewUniversal.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollis posted:

New Universe was interesting because it was Marvel's kind of attempt to do a more mature line. Starbrand was loving dark, the main character blows up Philadelphia goes insane etc..

I think a lot of the "What if people had superpowers in the real world!" stuff really came in after the first year when the line imploded. Star Brand was the only book that was kind of on that path before and it still had him go fight a nuclear man in Russia.

As a strange kind of thing, I've always suspected that Shooter was making a stab at redoing the New Universe with Valiant. At the very least, Harbinger is DP7 with the serial numbers filed off. :v:

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Didn't the New Universe start as "Realistic world except for this one event which causes super abilities" but mutated into your standard mess of unrelated fantasy and science fiction elements? Also was there anything in the New Universe meant to be an alternate universe version of anything in Marvel?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I wonder if there was a Punisher 2099 phrase generator that they were using when writing the comic.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

I'm going to believe that's how you get to work every day, Rhyno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm going to believe that's how you get to work every day, Rhyno.

It's not far from the truth!

• Locked thread