Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

senrath posted:

So to sum up, I'm not too annoyed that the mistakes happened (although one of them could have been prevented if they'd asked about printing costs of their promo stuff ahead of time), I'm annoyed at their responses to the mistakes.

Uh, I'm a backer and they've been doing a really good job of communicating their problems, admitting their mistakes, and finding workarounds. As good as any theoretical kickstarter could do, I'm not really sure what you want.

My copy actually literally just arrived an hour ago, and I couldn't be happier. Got everything I was supposed to and its in very high quality.

If you're bitching about other people getting some free stuff, even understanding why it happened, you're just being immature. They've done a fine job of communicating and they haven't hidden anything.

Honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Zybourne Clock posted:

I've never heard of this particular device before, but after the OUYA debacle you'd think people on KickStarter would be more careful about backing the next Android games console. This was launched minutes ago, and it already has over 700 dollars in pledges.

So it's an Android-based karaoke machine? You'd think that the collapse of the music-based video games market would've given them a hint about how much demand there is for this.

I also like that they quite literally plagiarized the whole design of their promo page from the product pages on the Apple website- right down to the layout of a lot of their pictures.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Zybourne Clock posted:

Another KickStarter that fits the 'maybe you should just give up' category rather well is Cheap rear end Comiks: The T-Shirt!!. Despite the fact it takes two people to create the comics, and despite the fact it's been running for 20 years, this webcomic still looks like something a twelve year old could make in MS Paint. A twelve year old boy would probably manage to make something funnier than these guys too, if their video is anything to go by. They want 500 dollars to make T-shirts that their fans can buy, but judging by their previous crowdfunding attempt those fans seem to exist primarily in their imagination.

I've never heard of this particular device before, but after the OUYA debacle you'd think people on KickStarter would be more careful about backing the next Android games console. This was launched minutes ago, and it already has over 700 dollars in pledges.

If Ouya actually stick to what they were supposed to do instead of trying to FTG, it would have been a pretty ok console.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
So far, only two people are single enough to pay $5 or more for wristbands that should really say "Desperate". Three people have apparently given money for... I have no idea what reason, because they haven't signed up for rewards. Only one person is crazy enough to think the world should give him $20,000 for this idea.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.

OrganizedInsanity posted:

If Ouya actually stick to what they were supposed to do instead of trying to FTG, it would have been a pretty ok console.

Was never going to happen.

This lazy rear end response to their FTG initiative is just one of many dumb things wrong with the Ouya.
Controller build quality, pushing how every game is 'free', and terrible lazy Android re-skin are just the tip of the iceberg of issues.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Midnight Voyager posted:

Which one is a sex doll? Neither! These are two actual human beings.

What? No, I refuse to believe.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TetsuoTW posted:

Yes, motherfuckers, you've managed to do what decades of dedicated research still hasn't - accurate machine translation that isn't 90% Martian. If you'd actually done this, you wouldn't need IndieGoGo, the business world would be sucking your dicks non-stop.

Also go gently caress yourselves "ordinary translation", translating for meaning rather than word for word is "ordinary" translation you semi-literate dongs.

But oh wait:

Ahahahahahahahahaha god drat it.

So how exactly is this different from pulling up Google on your phone and speaking into it?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, I'm a backer and they've been doing a really good job of communicating their problems, admitting their mistakes, and finding workarounds. As good as any theoretical kickstarter could do, I'm not really sure what you want.

My copy actually literally just arrived an hour ago, and I couldn't be happier. Got everything I was supposed to and its in very high quality.

If you're bitching about other people getting some free stuff, even understanding why it happened, you're just being immature. They've done a fine job of communicating and they haven't hidden anything.

Honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, I really shouldn't have posted it here. There were mistakes made, but it isn't the end of the world, and they've been very transparent about things. I've had more time to think on things now and my moment of anger has passed. The only reason I didn't edit out those posts were because people had quoted them, although I probably should go back and edit in an explanation that I no longer feel the same way I did when I posted those.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

I hope the blue fairy visits these two soon, things are getting desperate.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Yond Cassius posted:

So far, only two people are single enough to pay $5 or more for wristbands that should really say "Desperate". Three people have apparently given money for... I have no idea what reason, because they haven't signed up for rewards. Only one person is crazy enough to think the world should give him $20,000 for this idea.

They have pink for women and blue for men (making a possibly unwarranted assumption...). Not sure if gay people are supposed to wear the "wrong" one, or if there is a gay one available as a stretch goal, or what. I suppose rainbow. But obviously missing out on a pretty good market.

And what about one for "Pat" - someone who doesn't want to base their mate selection on an outdated concept of gender - what color is for them?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zybourne Clock posted:

But this has microphone ports and has lovely karaoke software pre-installed! It's totally different from one of those Chinese no-name devices that you can buy on Amazon for $30!

senrath posted:

To be fair to them, while the OUYA was supposed to be a games console that happened to run Android, this one seems to be a multimedia center that happens to be able to run a few games. I still wouldn't fund it, but their business model at least seems to be better than OUYA's.

Unfortunately for them, there's already something that does this, it's called Google TV.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Zybourne Clock posted:

Another KickStarter that fits the 'maybe you should just give up' category rather well is Cheap rear end Comiks: The T-Shirt!!. Despite the fact it takes two people to create the comics, and despite the fact it's been running for 20 years, this webcomic still looks like something a twelve year old could make in MS Paint. A twelve year old boy would probably manage to make something funnier than these guys too, if their video is anything to go by. They want 500 dollars to make T-shirts that their fans can buy, but judging by their previous crowdfunding attempt those fans seem to exist primarily in their imagination.

Oh my God, their loving website! http://www.cheapasscomiks.com/

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DoctorTristan posted:

Corsetry and makeup can achieve amazing(ly disturbing) things

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Wendell posted:

Are you sure this isn't a sweet bro and hella jeff type parody? They even has a token black character that's exactly like Geromy.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Wendell posted:

chucklefucks posted:

We have updated some stuff on the site, added a few more social sites. Also got the "Locker Room Fear" video up and running.

Looking for:

-An animator

-A writer

-A cartoonist

Looking for someone who works on the cheap (free at this point) who would join the Cheap rear end staff and grow with the company. If interested send us a shout.

On the horizon:

-A Cheap rear end commercial

-More finished scrips for the cartoon

-And much more.

gently caress these guys. Animating is extremely difficult and time consuming, never in their empty, misguided lives would they find someone who could do even a quarter of a decent job for free. Oh, they're having a 'logo design contest' as well (read: Give us a new logo because we suck rear end at art and are lazy fuckheads.)

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Midnight Voyager posted:

And then... things got weird.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/785931538/dominika777-cosmic-fashion-collection-sping-summer

Where in the gently caress do I even start with this one.

Meet Olga Oleinyk, also known as Dominika777, and her spiritual sister Valeria Lukyanova, also known as Amatue 21.

This entire thing is a black hole of crazy, but hey, it has $66 pledged already!

Well it's about drat time someone figured out how to turn real people into anime.

Everyone who clicks this should keep scrolling until they see the guy. You'll know when you see the guy. He's right past the 500 sketches of fancy aliens.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Noni posted:

Well it's about drat time someone figured out how to turn real people into anime.

Everyone who clicks this should keep scrolling until they see the guy. You'll know when you see the guy. He's right past the 500 sketches of fancy aliens.

It did not surprise me that he was Colombian in the least.

Although, on first read, I thought he was still living there and not Florida. Colombia is like the second largest market for plastic surgery, only recently topped by South Korea.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DoctorTristan posted:

Stating the obvious, they're completely bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoKwbbnlxi0

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Midnight Voyager posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1092311331/military-veterans-first-single

Oh come the gently caress on. Your profile pic is a selfie and your project picture is a lovely cell phone pic of you doing a handstand. Put some goddamn effort into it.

a bad kickerstarter posted:

Over the past four years I've served in the United States Navy as a Hospital Corpsman (combat medic) helping wounded worriers

I hope this boo boo doesn't get infected. Does that look infected? I bet its infected.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Zybourne Clock posted:

I want this guy to succeed at making a movie. There are tons of god-awful KickStarter and IndieGoGo campaigns launched by starry-eyed idea-men and daydreamers who are totally convinced their drek will draw massive audiences to cinemas all over the world. They rarely have a trailer to show, and those campaigns that do have glaringly obvious technical shortcomings that really show the project creators know nothing about how to make a film. (Shaky camcorder material, you can hear the wind blowing in the microphone, the actors are barely audible, etc). INFERNO-2033, at the very least, has an actual trailer. The story and premise are ridiculous, and if he does end up making a movie it could potentially end up being the next 'The Room'.

No foolin', I was once in contact with a guy who was looking for a freelance animator to make a short film. He wanted it cel animated and he wanted me to do it all by my lonesome. The script was at best questionable; basically, it was two to three minutes of an assortment of people and creatures dying in rather unpleasant ways, often shortly after they were directly responsible for something else's untimely demise (so, for example, a dragonfly gets eaten by a frog, which gets stomped on by a couple of kids, who get incinerated by an atomic blast; this was a couple years ago but I'm almost positive I remember this literally being in the script) and also it used "homeboys" unironically. Since it was still work, though, I told him I could totally do it, but it was going to take me around nine months and would cost him around $32000. His first response was, "lol I hope you mean $3200," whereupon I had to explain to him that A) that came out to around $2 an hour, and B) a whole group of freelancers or even a studio could do it faster but would also cost him about the same because it was basically the same amount of work in man-hours spread out over multiple people. So he said, "poo poo, I guess I better take this to kickstarter." And I never heard from him again.

In retrospect I may have been making a rather ungenerous estimate of my own working speed but that's neither here nor there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PuntCuncher posted:

Maybe they just liked the famous Aqua song?

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

PuntCuncher posted:

quote:

The aim of my life is to come to this planet to help people realise that it is necessary to move from the role of "human consumer" to the role of "human demi-god".
People need to stop being consumers says the lady who turned herself into a living Barbie doll.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Noni posted:

The Kickstarter video's something else. Still shots of her above space pictures with weird flute music playing.

I especially like the shot about 1:50 in that shows her in what seems to be a tinfoil miniskirt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wendell posted:

I hope the blue fairy visits these two soon, things are getting desperate.

Too late, the Dutch Wife Fairy got there first.

(Link is :nws:)

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yond Cassius posted:

The creator's profile:
"I am 22 years old, homeless at 18, because I followed my dreams!"

His facebook is also crazy. Some stuff related to his kickstarter:

quote:

Come April 16, 2014 I will being filing lawsuits of infringement on my patent! Mysingleworld.com, SingleBands.com, and Old Navy... good luck in court! #NativePride

quote:

Just got one of the best emails from Godaddy's CEO Blake Irving congratulating me on creating a new industry

This is all in relation to the singles bands or his singles websites.

Supposedly, "Patent Pending: Clothes and accessories individuals wear to show, they are single and not in a relationship."

Uh, yeah, I'd love to see that patent get accepted.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I wonder why he picked such an incredibly specific day to start suing people for no good reason.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ohgodwhat posted:

The creator's profile:

Supposedly, "Patent Pending: Clothes and accessories individuals wear to show, they are single and not in a relationship."

A brief check of his facebook shows the guy is clearly psychotic. Not in a funny way, in an I think he should be institutionalised way.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I thought clothes to show you're single were called jorts.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

ohgodwhat posted:

The creator's profile:

So basically, he's trying to get funding to sell handkerchief signals. That'll work out.

Although to be fair I'm pretty sure handkerchief signals are made up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fatkraken posted:

Corsetry and makeup can achieve amazing(ly disturbing) things

And when the costume wouldn't cover a corset there's always photoshop!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
It's not often that the uncanny valley kicks in with a real, live human, but this is one of those times.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Every time I look at them I'm just convinced that their eyes are closed and those 'eyes' are painted on. I'm right, right? There's only a few pictures at the bottom that seem like their real eyes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
FINALLY A BACON COOKBOOK

quote:

WHAT IS Bacon Insanity?

The Best Bacon Book Ever. Fact. Hardcover with 40+ bacon recipes. The emphasis will be on a fun entertaining look at this magical meat. All recipes will be well tested and fun. There will also be a strong focus on design and lots of photographs. There will be an ebook too and a weekly email missive in the build up to completion and launch, including recipes and fun stories, allowing you to dip your toe into the world of delicious bacon madness for only $5.

WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT TO SEE IN THE BOOK?

There will be a history of the rise of bacon along with many stories from my bacon adventures, with each journey including the best and most ingenious bacon recipes.

So basically the Wikipedia article on bacon with a few things from allrecipes. Granted some of the 'rewards' include actual bacon but that starts at the $75 tier, and I can get some good bacon for a lot less.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

monster on a stick posted:

FINALLY A BACON COOKBOOK

So basically the Wikipedia article on bacon with a few things from allrecipes. Granted some of the 'rewards' include actual bacon but that starts at the $75 tier, and I can get some good bacon for a lot less.

Why the gently caress is bacon still a "thing" on the internet?

Like, I *sort of* get the staying power behind other long-standing memes but how much entertainment value can "bacon is delicious and here I may be presenting it in an unexpected-and thus, ironic- context" provide for a person?

Oh look, Wikipedia can tell me something.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Throw in something about zombies and how all women are bitches and Reddit will have this thing in the millions of dollars by lunchtime.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Why the gently caress is bacon still a "thing" on the internet?
It's a totally ~*~*~random~*~*~ and delicious substitute for a personality! People love bacon, maybe if I talk about bacon a lot, by some mysterious transitive property people will love me!

raditts posted:

So how exactly is this different from pulling up Google on your phone and speaking into it?
It adds a microphone shaped like a box?

sub supau has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Sep 17, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nullscan posted:

Every time I look at them I'm just convinced that their eyes are closed and those 'eyes' are painted on. I'm right, right? There's only a few pictures at the bottom that seem like their real eyes.

You're somewhat right. That Vice video has a couple shots of her out of that makeup and she looks a like a human being, but she's using make-up to make her eyes look larger than they are.

Sarkimedes
Jul 2, 2012

Yond Cassius posted:

I remember seeing a very similar thing on Dragon's Den a few years back - I think it was necklaces with a special symbol attached, not wristbands, but the intent was basically the same. It was a couple of middle-aged ladies who came up with it, not a guy, so I guess there's at least 3 people who are crazy enough to think this idea is worth anything at all. One of the biggest problems I can see with it, aside from the fact that you might as well just write "Lonely and Desperate" across your forehead, is that it would only work if a significant number of people bought and wore them. I'm not really sure what that number would be, but those 2 ladies on Dragon's Den tried and failed to get a similar investment and were shot down partially because they simply wouldn't be able to manufacture enough to get it off the ground in the UK, even with that investment - now imagine trying to do a similar thing with the same resources in a country with about 5 times the population, and it's pretty clear that this project was doomed from birth.

I can't find the video right now, but if anyone can find it then check out that Dragon's Den segment - they do a far better job of shooting this idea down than I can.

EDIT: If anyone's not sure what Dragon's Den is, it's a TV show where entrepreneurs try and get investments from a group of successful businessmen/women. Wikipedia tells me it was called Shark Tank over in the US.

Sarkimedes has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Sep 17, 2013

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Sarkimedes posted:

I remember seeing a very similar thing on Dragon's Den a few years back - I think it was necklaces with a special symbol attached, not wristbands, but the intent was basically the same. It was a couple of middle-aged ladies who came up with it, not a guy, so I guess there's at least 3 people who are crazy enough to think this idea is worth anything at all. One of the biggest problems I can see with it, aside from the fact that you might as well just write "Lonely and Desperate" across your forehead, is that it would only work if a significant number of people bought and wore them. I'm not really sure what that number would be, but those 2 ladies on Dragon's Den tried and failed to get a similar investment and were shot down partially because they simply wouldn't be able to manufacture enough to get it off the ground in the UK, even with that investment - now imagine trying to do a similar thing with the same resources in a country with about 5 times the population, and it's pretty clear that this project was doomed from birth.

I can't find the video right now, but if anyone can find it then check out that Dragon's Den segment - they do a far better job of shooting this idea down than I can.

EDIT: If anyone's not sure what Dragon's Den is, it's a TV show where entrepreneurs try and get investments from a group of successful businessmen/women. Wikipedia tells me it was called Shark Tank over in the US.

When you said "those Ladies from Dragons Den" I thought it must be a kids show, and the ladies were actresses in it and tried to start this craze, based on their popularity from being actresses or something. Really marginal actresses who work on a kids show.

Sadly, the real ladies had even less of a chance.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

PuntCuncher posted:

Something profoundly awful must have happened to her during her teens, followed by intense cocaine abuse, and kicking the habit not before it left her brain partially fried. In it's place, a need to achieve perfection in appearance, and some loony new-age spiritual journey to replace and justify all the events leading up to this point.

It's quite ridiculous how much better she looks without all the makeup. Man society pushes women into some uncanny-valley dark corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I've about this chick for a while. But I never seen without make up. Can anyone share?