Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ImpAtom posted:

Asuka Goro was the manliest man who ever manned in all ways.

(Seriously, do not get overly caught up on logic when it comes to Zubat.)

I learned this the hard way after thinking about it for a moment and then realizing that Hayakawa Ken generally lets women and children be tortured and abused for a moment before actually acting. Clearly he can escape those handcuffs/ropes/chains any time he wants to, but gotta make sure that innocents are in mortal peril first. Also, people getting beaten with sticks seems to be a running theme.

My favorite episode so far is the one where he has to save Japan from the dangers of cocaine addiction. Literally. Not even a metaphor. Just straight-up evil villains' plot is to turn the people of Japan into cocaine addicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just finished watching Go-Busters VS Beet Buster VS J.

I'm not sure what I was expecting. That was definitely something different.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Mecha Gojira posted:

I learned this the hard way after thinking about it for a moment and then realizing that Hayakawa Ken generally lets women and children be tortured and abused for a moment before actually acting. Clearly he can escape those handcuffs/ropes/chains any time he wants to, but gotta make sure that innocents are in mortal peril first. Also, people getting beaten with sticks seems to be a running theme.

My favorite episode so far is the one where he has to save Japan from the dangers of cocaine addiction. Literally. Not even a metaphor. Just straight-up evil villains' plot is to turn the people of Japan into cocaine addicts.

Mine is when he has to save his creator from being killed by an evil trumpet player.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So in addition to Den-O, I also watched the first episodes of Kiva and Agito today. Kiva's got me interested in how they tie together 1986 and 2008, plus Kivat is a pretty cool guy. Agito wasn't quite as immediately engaging to me as the other two, but G3 is a pretty cool Rider, even if just for the fact that he's the only one who just puts on his armor.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
So, I'm skimming through Fireman (1973 by Tsuburaya) while it's encoding. I hit episode 24. Fireman is fighting a giant harmonica. The harmonica is blowing at him. Then it turns around and starts sucking.

This episode has more :catdrugs: than most episodes of the Space Sheriff trilogy.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

FortMax posted:

So, I'm skimming through Fireman (1973 by Tsuburaya) while it's encoding. I hit episode 24. Fireman is fighting a giant harmonica. The harmonica is blowing at him. Then it turns around and starts sucking.

This episode has more :catdrugs: than most episodes of the Space Sheriff trilogy.

Yeah, cat drugs is right, harmonicas work with air blowing both directions, why would it need to turn around?

Also now I'm looking up Fireman, this sounds amazing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I started watching Go-onger.

They drive around in an RV beating up on monsters. Let me run that by you again. They drive around in an RV beating up on monsters.

I have a feeling I'm going to love this show. :swoon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dexie posted:

They drive around in an RV beating up on monsters. Let me run that by you again. They drive around in an RV beating up on monsters.

You should watch Kakuranger. They also drive around in an RV and beat up monsters.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Guess I need to add Kakuranger to the list then.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dexie posted:

Ground Outdoor Operational Network General-purpose Explorational Rover

ImpAtom posted:

You should watch Kakuranger. They also drive around in an RV and beat up monsters.
Kakuranger drove around in a food truck that was also a cat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Now I'm REALLY sad that the Kyoryugers don't hang out in that water park cabana from the original ending.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dexie posted:

Guess I need to add Kakuranger to the list then.

I watched some YouTube series called Mighty Morphin Sentai or something like that, and it really sold Kakuranger on me. That's going next on the list after Maskman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

Kakuranger drove around in a food truck that was also a cat.

It's even better than an RV, yes. :allears:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dexie posted:

Go-Onger peaks at 23, with what is essentially the "Homer's Enemy" of Super Sentai. Just a heads up that it's all downhill from there once you hit that magical, magical point.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Wizard ended. Does anyone care?

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
I do, but I got tired of defending Wizard from people who don't watch it saying it sucks. V:catstare:V

I thought it was very appropriate thematically for the series, and it was definitely planned from the very start. All of the foreshadowing and thematic elements led up to this ending. It was definitely one of the more well-plotted Rider shows I have ever seen. They managed to close out all the lingering plot threads in a way that left me feeling really good about the whole series.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HKR posted:

Well most of us are probably glad, thats sort of like caring, right?

I'll be skipping Gaim unless word of mouth is insanely positive so I sort of care because this means I can finish Garo season 2 and whatever is newly translated of Fiveman and Carranger (nothing, I guess?) in the times I would have been watching Wizard.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
So who is returning for Wizard 52 and 53?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HKR posted:

I care because I was waiting for it to end to catch up on the last 10 or 12 episodes I've missed out on. :toot: I feel like I enjoyed the show more when I was marathoning to catch up than watching week-by-week.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

jivjov posted:

This is random and apropos of nothing, but if I ever get a fancy car with a built in satnav computer setup, I will do everything in my power to make it say "Let's Driving!" every time I turn on the ignition.

Don't forget to get one of the Go-Busters Ranger Keys and try to make your car key's guts fit in it (even though it likely won't with most modern car keys).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

HKR posted:

The Ending was generally pretty okay :shrug:.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Lessons I learned from this week's Kyoryuger:

1) A truck is a perfectly respectable method of transport for your dear friend's lifeless form

2) Tessai has the best hair (or lack thereof) and should have a different style every time he appears

3) Someone in production staff really like Yayoi's legs

4) Ramirez is the best ranger ever

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

jivjov posted:

3) Someone in production staff really like Yayoi's legs

That would be Sakamoto. He likes him some legs.

EDIT:

Have Fireman fighting a giant harmonica.

FortMax fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 17, 2013

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TheGreenAvenger posted:

I do, but I got tired of defending Wizard from people who don't watch it saying it sucks. V:catstare:V

I sub Wizard and I think it sucks. I won't deny the show is consistently good at playing the long game, but the long game is worthless when your actual content is boring, you downplay and piss away your actually interesting content (everything about both Beast and Dragon), and you completely fail to build rapport with either your main character or the lynchpin of your plot. And despite Gremlin needing to be the final boss for a lot of purely selfish narrative and thematic reasons, including giving Haruto a chance to make one more "last hope" speech like we hadn't heard a dozen of those before, Flutewand was a much more compelling villain.

Wizard was good at its themes. It just also needed to be a good TV show to make those themes not look up its own rear end. It wasn't.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The Carnival figuarts box is gonna be huge.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I'll probably be watching Wizard 52-53 without having seen the rest of the show, because why the hell not. I'm sure it can't be worse than actual Kamen Rider Decade episodes. And come to think, with Gaim, we'll be halfway to another anniversary show!... Hopefully they'll make one, and it won't suck.

From what I saw of Wizard, I thought Haruto dragged everything the hell down. Bland protagonists aren't a new concept in Kamen Rider, but usually they're saved by good support casts. Couple that with the New Friend of the Week syndrome I complained about before, and you get a show where only the fights are particularly interesting to watch.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I haven't yet gotten to this week's Wizard, but if nothing else, I liked that it was Nitou that saved the entire city a couple episodes ago. Having the secondary rider do something of such big importance seemed surprising, but Nitou certainly deserved the honor. He's been a pretty constant bright part of the show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Caphi posted:

I sub Wizard and I think it sucks. I won't deny the show is consistently good at playing the long game, but the long game is worthless when your actual content is boring, you downplay and piss away your actually interesting content (everything about both Beast and Dragon), and you completely fail to build rapport with either your main character or the lynchpin of your plot. And despite Gremlin needing to be the final boss for a lot of purely selfish narrative and thematic reasons, including giving Haruto a chance to make one more "last hope" speech like we hadn't heard a dozen of those before, Flutewand was a much more compelling villain.

Wizard was good at its themes. It just also needed to be a good TV show to make those themes not look up its own rear end. It wasn't.

They also made a mistake casting the mega-popular idol who never has time to film as the character who you'd most expect to be integral to the plot.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

They also made a mistake casting the mega-popular idol who never has time to film as the character who you'd most expect to be integral to the plot.

Which one was that?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

SpazmasterX posted:

Which one was that?

Koyomi. Who, in fact, was integral to the plot anyway.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Apparently the Wizard/Gaim movie will have Heisei riders warring against each other. Not the real Riders maybe but historical versions, who knows because Akiko and Ryu are filming right now.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

AzraelNewtype posted:

Koyomi. Who, in fact, was integral to the plot anyway.

That would have been my guess. I had no idea she was some popular idol.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

That would have been my guess. I had no idea she was some popular idol.

That is the trend anyway. I think Yoko from Go-Busters and Ahim from Gokaiger started out as idols. It is a jumping point to acting it seems.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dante Logos posted:

That is the trend anyway. I think Yoko from Go-Busters and Ahim from Gokaiger started out as idols. It is a jumping point to acting it seems.

Luka was also an idol. I assumed they just get former popular idols to play Sentai ever since Dekaranger.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

Caphi posted:

I sub Wizard and I think it sucks.

Yeah, but you already know how I feel about your taste. (Hi I run OnoreTVN)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Gaim has street-dancing gangs in a feudal state doing Pokemon battles that endanger the world, what's not to love!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nothing could save Wizard from Haruto being this massive unlikable charisma black hole who sucked all enjoyment from the air around him. No matter how well-written or thematically appropriate a series it is, that guy basically killed it in the crib.

The absolute worst part of the Fourze/Wizard movie was having to watch that completely dull dishrag beat up Akumaizer.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 18, 2013

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Nothing could save Wizard from Haruto being this massive unlikable black hole charisma who sucked all enjoyment from the air around him. No matter how well-written or thematically appropriate a series it is, that guy basically killed it in the crib.

The absolute worst part of the Fourze/Wizard movie was having to watch that complete shithead beat up Akumaizer.

Replace Haruto with Gen, would that save Wizard?
I didn't get into Wizard, but now that it's over I've been thinking about it, if even to check out the whole "first female Rider" thing. Tackle wasn't, technically speaking, a Rider.
Worth downloading Wizard when a batch comes out?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Serperoth posted:

I didn't get into Wizard, but now that it's over I've been thinking about it, if even to check out the whole "first female Rider" thing. Tackle wasn't, technically speaking, a Rider.

Tackle wasn't, but what about Femme, or Ixa (twice, temporarily), or Kivala, or Nadeshiko? And I'm positive I'm leaving some out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best thing about the Kyoryuger movie promos was seeing Haruto do the silly dance. Haruto should have done more silly things.

• Locked thread