Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

My cat throws a fit when he wants to go outside and I'm not sure how to respond. He meows loudly and rapidly, he jump-attacks the doorknob, paws at me, and if I ignore him he escalates to trying to knock pictures off the walls (since he knows it will get my attention). Somehow he finds the energy to keep this up for an hour(!) or more at a time, several times per day. It's annoying.

He has lived with me for two years in a one bedroom apartment in the suburbs. He has exhibited this behavior the entire time we've been here. At night he will even make running leaps at the door, which is quite loud. He only lived outside this apartment for a few months as a stray kitten in the countryside (he's a rescue).

He has lots of toys, I play with him regularly, and I even take him on walks outside on a leash since it helps him stay calm. I'm sure the walks encourage the behavior, since he knows outside exists and is fun.

He is fixed.

I do my best not to reward the behavior, but it just won't end. As I said, he's been at it for two solid years and shows no signs of stopping.

He is my only cat. I have debated getting a second, but I am concerned about my allergies. (Yes, I am allergic to cats. I manage it with allergy medicine. I adopted him because his rear end was starving and covered in parasites when I found him, and because I love animals despite my allergies. I have owned cats before and knew what to expect.)

At this point, I am debating letting him roam free outside. I know about indoor vs. outdoor cats, the risks, etc. I don't really want to let him, yet I worry I am torturing the poor guy if what he truly wants is to go outside.

What do you think of the situation?

Do you ever take him outside on the leash during or immediately after one of these episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

My cat throws a fit when he wants to go outside and I'm not sure how to respond. He meows loudly and rapidly, he jump-attacks the doorknob, paws at me, and if I ignore him he escalates to trying to knock pictures off the walls (since he knows it will get my attention). Somehow he finds the energy to keep this up for an hour(!) or more at a time, several times per day. It's annoying.

He has lived with me for two years in a one bedroom apartment in the suburbs. He has exhibited this behavior the entire time we've been here. At night he will even make running leaps at the door, which is quite loud. He only lived outside this apartment for a few months as a stray kitten in the countryside (he's a rescue).

He has lots of toys, I play with him regularly, and I even take him on walks outside on a leash since it helps him stay calm. I'm sure the walks encourage the behavior, since he knows outside exists and is fun.

He is fixed.

I do my best not to reward the behavior, but it just won't end. As I said, he's been at it for two solid years and shows no signs of stopping.

He is my only cat. I have debated getting a second, but I am concerned about my allergies. (Yes, I am allergic to cats. I manage it with allergy medicine. I adopted him because his rear end was starving and covered in parasites when I found him, and because I love animals despite my allergies. I have owned cats before and knew what to expect.)

At this point, I am debating letting him roam free outside. I know about indoor vs. outdoor cats, the risks, etc. I don't really want to let him, yet I worry I am torturing the poor guy if what he truly wants is to go outside.

What do you think of the situation?

Is it possible that he's hearing or smelling another cat outside when this happens? A cat passed through my backyard once when I was home, and my cat went nuts for a while because OMG THAT CAT IS IN MY DOMAIN despite the fact that he's 100% indoor.

I don't think it's cruel to keep a cat indoors, even if they want to go out. To me, it's like refusing to feed your kids nothing but candy even though that might be all they want. You have to make the choices that are best for your cat, and it sounds like you don't want to let him outside unsupervised because of the risks, so your instincts are good. Like the above poster asked, do you take him out on the leash immediately after he goes nuts to get outside? Because if so, that would be reinforcing the behavior. I would pick a specific time to take him out every day and stick to it very firmly. Maybe even set up a timer that will audibly go off so that when he hears that, he knows it's time to go out. Cats are very easy to condition to schedules, and I think it could help the problem for him to know exactly when it's time to go outside and that freaking out at another time of day won't work.

You'll also want to work on indoor stimulation. Does he have lots of places in your apartment to climb? A cat tree or those floating cat shelves go a long way to making cats happier, since they like to perch up high. You play with him now but it might not be enough since from what you've said he sounds like a rather young cat. Try getting him good and worn out, so he's too exhausted from chasing the red dot to even think about how he's not outside right now. Try some new toys and rotate them out so he doesn't get bored of them. Keep a few in a bag to "marinate" in some catnip so they smell nice and strong when you take them out for him to play with. Maybe even buy a catgrass plant so he can have some plantlife to chew on around the house.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Would a tiny dog harness for a small breed work for a cat? Or should I go for a cat-specific one?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Dienes posted:

Do you ever take him outside on the leash during or immediately after one of these episodes?

I do my best not to reinforce the behavior, but I can't promise I've absolutely never done this.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Huntersoninski posted:

Would a tiny dog harness for a small breed work for a cat? Or should I go for a cat-specific one?

I would go for something more secure, cats are a lot bendier than dogs and can get out of a lot of standard dog harnesses really easily.

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009
I'm moving into a house with two roommates who have a cat each. The bottom floor of the house smells pretty bad of cat piss which I didn't really notice until the second or third time I showed up to move stuff. Can this just be the litter box causing the smell or does this mean they're just pissing/"Marking"(?) everywhere? What's the best way to bring this up with them without sounding like a dick cat-hater? And if that fails, do I have any non-malicious options for making it so they stay out of my area of the house so I can set up some sort of febreze barrier?

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
It could be the litterbox, depending on what kind of litter they use and how often they change it. Try asking them about that first? My single-cat litterbox doesn't smell unless you get your face up in there.

And not wanting to constantly breathe in one of the worst smells known to man in your own home does not make you a dick cat-hater. :v:

Cat Underfoot
Feb 16, 2013

I'm sure this topic has been hashed out before {probably several times!}, but I'm kind of short on time and don't know where to look to find it. My husband and I rescued a stray cat that was pure skin and bones. We brought her home in the middle of the night Friday night and put her in a bedroom to herself, gave her some food and water, and left her to decompress from the trauma of the trip here. Anyway, when we rescued her, we were under the impression that she had a ready made home. Looks like the lady that commented she would take her if someone caught her wasn't serious, and now we have this kitty and we don't know what to do with her. We would absolutely keep her if we could, but we're only allowed to have 2 animals, and we already have a cat and dog.

As often happens, people have wildly differing opinions on what to do now. Some people say to put her on Craigslist, while other people say that people that get cats off Craigslist are likely to use them as bait animals or whatever. This sounds like an urban legend load of crap to me, but I don't know how prevalent dog fighting is here. Then there are the group that say to take her to a shelter... and others that say shelters are terrible and it would be better to put her back out on the street than to take her to a shelter. The fact she was skin and bones tells me she was obviously not doing a very good job taking care of herself on the streets, and winter is coming, so putting her back out on the street seems like the dumbest idea in the history of dumb ideas. Anyway, the point of this post... sorry for the rambling... is to ask, Craigslist or shelter? The shelter here is a Humane Society, and they are a kill shelter, but I've never heard of any animals being mistreated there. We have to do something with her by tomorrow evening, and I don't know what to do. Advice? Opinions?

Edited to add: She's a very sweet, friendly cat. A little skittish if you make a sudden move, but very sweet.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Huntersoninski posted:

The harness I use basically looks like a figure 8 with a buckle and an attach point for the leash, it's very simple to put on (a lot simpler than some of the other harnesses I've seen). You loop the front half of the 8 over the cat's head and around its neck so that the attach point is between the cat's shoulder blades, then buckle the harness together behind the cat's front legs on their stomach. It's a simple design and as long as you tighten the front loop enough, there's pretty much no way the cat will be able to get their front legs through it and wriggle out.

"Walking" a cat usually means standing in one spot for 5 minutes and goaltending while Lump tries to eat leaves, but the complex requires all animals to be on a leash, so on a leash he goes.

EDIT: here's a photo of Lump modelling the harness:

chutwig fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 15, 2013

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I "walk" my cat by putting her on the harness and tying her leash to the doorknob. She usually just wants to go lay in the grass and she'll come stand by the door when she's ready to come in.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Cat Underfoot posted:

I'm sure this topic has been hashed out before {probably several times!}, but I'm kind of short on time and don't know where to look to find it. My husband and I rescued a stray cat that was pure skin and bones. We brought her home in the middle of the night Friday night and put her in a bedroom to herself, gave her some food and water, and left her to decompress from the trauma of the trip here. Anyway, when we rescued her, we were under the impression that she had a ready made home. Looks like the lady that commented she would take her if someone caught her wasn't serious, and now we have this kitty and we don't know what to do with her. We would absolutely keep her if we could, but we're only allowed to have 2 animals, and we already have a cat and dog.

As often happens, people have wildly differing opinions on what to do now. Some people say to put her on Craigslist, while other people say that people that get cats off Craigslist are likely to use them as bait animals or whatever. This sounds like an urban legend load of crap to me, but I don't know how prevalent dog fighting is here. Then there are the group that say to take her to a shelter... and others that say shelters are terrible and it would be better to put her back out on the street than to take her to a shelter. The fact she was skin and bones tells me she was obviously not doing a very good job taking care of herself on the streets, and winter is coming, so putting her back out on the street seems like the dumbest idea in the history of dumb ideas. Anyway, the point of this post... sorry for the rambling... is to ask, Craigslist or shelter? The shelter here is a Humane Society, and they are a kill shelter, but I've never heard of any animals being mistreated there. We have to do something with her by tomorrow evening, and I don't know what to do. Advice? Opinions?

Edited to add: She's a very sweet, friendly cat. A little skittish if you make a sudden move, but very sweet.
Since it's a kill shelter, I would put her on Craigslist first and actually bring her to the people who want to adopt her's houses to see where she'll be living. Go with your husband and one of you wait in the car with her and the other one quickly scopes it out, then if it's okay bring her in to meet them. If it looks dodgy or they give you a bad feeling, then take her to the shelter as a last resort.

Since she's already sweet and friendly even though she's malnourished, she would stand a good chance of being adopted out of a shelter once they fatten her back up.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 15, 2013

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Also, have you been a good tenant for a while? Do you think your landlord would allow an exception for you if you kept it hushed, if only temporarily? I found a lost Siamese at my old place; I was on good enough terms with the landlady that she said I could keep him indefinitely, as long as I was searching for his owner/a new home for him (a sad story with a happy-as-could-be-expected-given-the-circumstances ending).

Cat Underfoot
Feb 16, 2013

Fruity Gordo posted:

Since it's a kill shelter, I would put her on Craigslist first and actually bring her to the people who want to adopt her's houses to see where she'll be living. Go with your husband and one of you wait in the car with her and the other one quickly scopes it out, then if it's okay bring her in to meet them. If it looks dodgy or they give you a bad feeling, then take her to the shelter as a last resort.

Since she's already sweet and friendly even though she's malnourished, she would stand a good chance of being adopted out of a shelter once they fatten her back up.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I got both my animals from CL, but I'm still paranoid about other people on there. Maybe if I insist on bringing her to them, they won't let me come unless they seriously want to take care of her. I hope!

Huntersoninski posted:

Also, have you been a good tenant for a while? Do you think your landlord would allow an exception for you if you kept it hushed, if only temporarily? I found a lost Siamese at my old place; I was on good enough terms with the landlady that she said I could keep him indefinitely, as long as I was searching for his owner/a new home for him (a sad story with a happy-as-could-be-expected-given-the-circumstances ending).

As much as I wish that would be the case, we live in a big rear end apartment complex that's very corporate. They have no heart and give no fucks. Break their rules, and you're out. You were very lucky to have a landlady that let you keep the kitty while you found a good home for him. More should be so kind!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Cat Underfoot posted:

The "CRAIGSLIST IS FULL OF PSYCHOS" crap is mostly urban soccermom hysteria. The kind of psychos who torture cats usually do it to the ones they find on the street, either strays or outdoor cats. If you advertise the cat on craigslist, you can ask for a rehoming fee to weed out people who aren't serious (or the rare rear end in a top hat), and then waive it if you find good people who are serious about taking her in as a pet. I've never actually paid a rehoming fee for the pets I've gotten from craigslist because every time they have seen that I love my pets and I was going to be a good owner, and that's what most people care about.

I'd say the most important thing that will give you the best chance of finding her a good home is cute pictures. Tie a little bow around her neck and take 6 million pictures, then narrow it down to 2 or 3 good ones to post with her ad. Most people don't really look at random cat ads with no pictures, and good pictures make the difference between "random cat in an ad" and "potential pet for my family."

Cat Underfoot
Feb 16, 2013

Serella posted:

The "CRAIGSLIST IS FULL OF PSYCHOS" crap is mostly urban soccermom hysteria. The kind of psychos who torture cats usually do it to the ones they find on the street, either strays or outdoor cats. If you advertise the cat on craigslist, you can ask for a rehoming fee to weed out people who aren't serious (or the rare rear end in a top hat), and then waive it if you find good people who are serious about taking her in as a pet. I've never actually paid a rehoming fee for the pets I've gotten from craigslist because every time they have seen that I love my pets and I was going to be a good owner, and that's what most people care about.

I'd say the most important thing that will give you the best chance of finding her a good home is cute pictures. Tie a little bow around her neck and take 6 million pictures, then narrow it down to 2 or 3 good ones to post with her ad. Most people don't really look at random cat ads with no pictures, and good pictures make the difference between "random cat in an ad" and "potential pet for my family."

You've just allayed my fears significantly. And GREAT idea about the photos. I will have my husband help me get some good pics of her, or at least try. She's a tricky little bugger to get a picture of, other than the back of her head as her face is smooshed in the food bowl. I'm glad you pointed that out. As obvious as it should be, I hadn't thought of it yet.

Thank you so much for your advice! I wanna give this girl the best chance I can at finding a good home.

triskadekaphilia
Oct 29, 2004
So, uh, my dog seems to have admirably taken up the mantle of momma catting the three weekish rescue kitten I posted about a couple pages back. In fact, she seems to think it's her one true calling in life to lick kitten's butt until properly stimulated whenever kitten wants :gonk:

I guess I've got no problem with this if it's not going to cause either of them problems, other than absolutely disgusting dog breath. The vet did a fecal sample last week and said kitten is healthy.

I can't believe I'm actually posting this question, but should I keep the dog away from her backside, or can we all just roll with it.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

PFlats posted:

edit: Double sided tape has worked in the past on a sofa he liked to scratch, but I'm not sure how to make it feasible on the rug. I'll try a perimeter of tinfoil in the meantime.
Our new kitten, Calvin, has decided that tinfoil is his favorite new toy. Oh well. Trying this:

Organza Quiz posted:

What worked to keep our cat from scratching the brand new carpet was to put her scratching post down horizontally on the actual carpet. Now she goes goes to that when she feels like scratching. Of course, this has the obvious disadvantage of having a scratching post sitting in the middle of the living room all the time, but at least we can put it away when we have people over so they don't know how much she owns us.
Incidentally, anyone have any litter recommendations? I've been very happy with the Scoop Away brand, but my wife worries that it's too dusty and ruining our/the cats' lungs. The other bands I've tried, though, don't actually hold clumps and smell terribly.

edit: Tidy cat hasn't worked well at all, I forget how well I liked Fresh Step a bunch of years back but I don't recall hating it. If you suggest Yesterday's News I swear I will defenestrate you.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 17, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

triskadekaphilia posted:

So, uh, my dog seems to have admirably taken up the mantle of momma catting the three weekish rescue kitten I posted about a couple pages back. In fact, she seems to think it's her one true calling in life to lick kitten's butt until properly stimulated whenever kitten wants :gonk:

I guess I've got no problem with this if it's not going to cause either of them problems, other than absolutely disgusting dog breath. The vet did a fecal sample last week and said kitten is healthy.

I can't believe I'm actually posting this question, but should I keep the dog away from her backside, or can we all just roll with it.
Don't mother dogs have to do that to puppies too? They will probably be fine.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I work at a rescue, and someone wanted to adopt a cat but was disgusted by the idea of having litter boxes in their house so always in the past let their cats potty outside.

This seems crazy to me, what if your cat has to go at 3am? What if it is pouring rain outside? As a child I always had indoor/outdoor cats but still always had a box in the house. Is this some widespread practice that I'm not aware of? Am I a huge jerk for rejecting the adoption?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
My cat was inside/outside for the first 13 years of her life and we always kept a litter box for her, though she rarely used it. It's probably a bad sign to have someone assume they'll never need a litter box, because it does imply that the cat could probably be left outside overnight quite a lot. Also, during the day, if the person works. That's basically like 'I have an urban barn cat who I occasionally hang out with'.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bananaquiter posted:

I work at a rescue, and someone wanted to adopt a cat but was disgusted by the idea of having litter boxes in their house so always in the past let their cats potty outside.

This seems crazy to me, what if your cat has to go at 3am? What if it is pouring rain outside? As a child I always had indoor/outdoor cats but still always had a box in the house. Is this some widespread practice that I'm not aware of? Am I a huge jerk for rejecting the adoption?
I think the issue would be less having the cat go outside to dump, but whether they would get rid of the cat if it crapped inside or it became otherwise apparent their desired arrangement of pissing outside and not having litter boxes inside wouldn't work out.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

duckfarts posted:

I think the issue would be less having the cat go outside to dump, but whether they would get rid of the cat if it crapped inside or it became otherwise apparent their desired arrangement of pissing outside and not having litter boxes inside wouldn't work out.

This.

We've had three outdoor cats, and never routinely used litterboxes, and we've never had any problems.

But, when one got sick, we got him a box till he got better. Plus when you're introducing a cat to a new place you absolutely need a box for a couple of weeks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
From my own observations as a lad in England and now a surly adult in North America (which has been corroborated by people in this thread), indoor/outdoor "hybrid" cats seem a lot more common in the UK than in the US/Canada. Not quite sure why, but I grew up on a typical street in a typical English town, and everyone who had a house had a nice little garden that was perfect for cat play and cat hygiene, so putting the cat out for the night or letting him go into the garden to eliminate was just the way of things. I keep my two inside at all times for various reasons and they have not shown *any* desire to go outside since I adopted them as ferals, and so far so good. Not sure what is done in other places, but I imagine that being urban/rural has a lot to do with it.

By the way, since this thread was recently discussing dental hygiene for cats, I wanted to recommend a product. I have tried very hard to keep my girls on a grain-free diet, and I picked up a bag of Authority dental treats from Petsmart a few weeks ago. They are shaped like tiny fish and, while a little hard to handle for the tiny mouths of 4-month kittens, they enjoy the flavour and are very crunchy - my two really have to work to chew them, so I hope that means that they are good for fighting plaque. I free-feed mine Wellness Kitten CORE No-Grain, so they get plenty of crunchy food, but I really want to avoid those horrid dental problems that others have had.

Now I have to pack up these two hyper little fluffballs and take them in for a booster shot. May God have mercy on my soul.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Yeah, please don't post it on Craigslist. It's more likely to be taken by a lunatic that wants to abuse cats, a lab that uses cats for animal research, or other horrible things. You don't know and can't tell anything about the person that replies, they can sound and look totally nice but are loving horrible people. Please look into no-kill shelters in or near your area.

lab animals do not come this way, any studies with animals picked up this was would be invalid. Don't believe random internet horror stories.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Random question about cat behavior, because I'm still a new cat owner and slowly getting over my "strictly a dog person" self-image:

I have two cats, unrelated males, one adult and one kitten. They playfight all the time, eat together, sleep curled up with each other, and are good buddies in general. However, when it comes to grooming each other, the adult grooms the kitten but the kitten never reciprocates. The kitten loves it and purrs in delight, but he never helps a brother out in return. What's up with that? Is he just a selfish baby? Is it a submissive thing, with the big cat clearly in the parental role? The kitten is the aggressive one when they play and he will steal treats right out under the big cat's nose, so he's not submissive to the big cat otherwise.

For that matter, what is driving the big cat to groom his little buddy? Do male cats have paternal instincts? Does he think of the kitten as his son? (:kimchi:)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Bananaquiter posted:

We had inside/outside cats when I was growing up and never had a litter box until we decided to start keeping them in at night, maybe 10 years after getting the second one. They basically never used it, it was just there in case they did. I don't see a problem with not having one inside, especially if they put one outside in a covered area to save the cats from ever having to get their paws wet ever. I certainly wouldn't have thought it'd be a dealbreaker for adopting out cats, but maybe my idea of how many cats get adopted vs put down is skewed.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping a kitten from bolting out the front door when I get home from work? I've brought a jar of pennies with me to shake when I open the door, and I've got a few things to act as a barrier to stop Toast from trying to sneak by, but I'm worried that won't stop him if he's determined. I might just have to lock him in my room while I'm at work, even though I don't really want to.

I'll consider taking him on walks; he just isn't done with his vaccination schedule and he isn't going to be neutered until next month after his last round of shots. My vet said it's a good idea to keep cats indoors exclusively until they're at least one. He's almost four months old.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Bananaquiter posted:

Some cats may prefer outside but refusing point blank to ever have a tray indoors? That's pretty radical.

As an example, my cats will not use trays or go inside the house unless they are confined to one room/area for some reason. Every winter I put trays down and every spring I lift them again having never once found anything in them while cleaning them (no waste, it gets sieved and put back - not like it smells or anything).
They dash out under a bush if it's raining and when it snows I clear a path for them. But at least they have the option, personally I (like you it seems) feel that distinction is important.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Last night, right when I was about to go to sleep, my cat just pooped in his litter box and he came out just somber/sad. His tail was down and there was something off. He would cry randomly and this is the way he sat:

http://i.imgur.com/tclDvX6.jpg

I fed him and he ate but it was strange to hear him cry. This is probably the second time that this has happened in the past two weeks. He would also only cry when I was near him or petting him. Once I fell asleep, I didn’t hear him crying or anything overnight. The next morning, he was chill as usual but I have no idea why he’s crying.

The last vet check up was about a month ago and the vet didn’t see anything out of the ordinary.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Hey I'm going to be adopting some kittens in the next couple weeks. I had cats as a kid but this will be the first time I have them on my own and have a few questions.

-I live in the south with a bunch of roaches around, and thus have spread some boric acid around the house, likely places the kittens won't be able to access (under the fridge, oven, etc), but should I vacuum it up anyway? How dangerous is it to have around kittens?

-Is there a preferred method of feeding at certain times of the day versus just leaving food out in a bowl and refilling as necessary. My family always just left dry food out all the time and we never had any problems, but I heard that can lead to cats being overweight.

-I was going to get two kittens, so should two litterboxes be enough? The OP says 3 but that seems a little excessive to me, just wanted a second opinion.

Also if anyone has a good (current) link to cat food ratings, the link in the OP looks like the domain name expired, and I don't have archives to see the nutrition megathread.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Geno posted:

Last night, right when I was about to go to sleep, my cat just pooped in his litter box and he came out just somber/sad. His tail was down and there was something off. He would cry randomly and this is the way he sat:

http://i.imgur.com/tclDvX6.jpg

I fed him and he ate but it was strange to hear him cry. This is probably the second time that this has happened in the past two weeks. He would also only cry when I was near him or petting him. Once I fell asleep, I didn’t hear him crying or anything overnight. The next morning, he was chill as usual but I have no idea why he’s crying.

The last vet check up was about a month ago and the vet didn’t see anything out of the ordinary.

Is he neutered? Does his bum smell or sensitive close to it? I'm thinking maybe impacted/infected anal glands, that's fairly common and I remember my girl cat was not happy when she had it. Basically though, vet if you're worried or it happens more.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

aghastly posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping a kitten from bolting out the front door when I get home from work? I've brought a jar of pennies with me to shake when I open the door, and I've got a few things to act as a barrier to stop Toast from trying to sneak by, but I'm worried that won't stop him if he's determined. I might just have to lock him in my room while I'm at work, even though I don't really want to.

I'll consider taking him on walks; he just isn't done with his vaccination schedule and he isn't going to be neutered until next month after his last round of shots. My vet said it's a good idea to keep cats indoors exclusively until they're at least one. He's almost four months old.

You can buy something like a Ssscat! which is a motion-detecting can of compressed air. Set it near the door so that anytime your cat goes near it will get a PSSSST! of air. Harmless, good entertainment value.

There are also the methods of putting down tin foil or tape to deter the cat from going near the door. Hopefully once the cat decides that near the door is no fun, you can remove the deterrent and the cat will have learned to avoid the area. Some cats are door-darters for life and require diligence though so YMMV.

We taught our cats to fear the door by exiting the house, waiting until we were sure they were investigating the door, then banging the bejeezus out of said door. The cats bolt away, and to this day they flee at the front door opening. It is the rear end in a top hat method of doing things, but we found it effective.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Ratzap posted:

Is he neutered? Does his bum smell or sensitive close to it? I'm thinking maybe impacted/infected anal glands, that's fairly common and I remember my girl cat was not happy when she had it. Basically though, vet if you're worried or it happens more.

Yeah, he's neutered. He did appear to lick near his anus/tail a lot. Maybe he's constipated? There appears to be less poop than before.

The only thing I've noticed with his diet is that he eats a lot slower than before. Last year, he would devour a can of food but the past month or so, he eats like 1/4 of it at first but he does eventually finish it within a couple of hours and will always run for food/treats.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Geno posted:

Yeah, he's neutered. He did appear to lick near his anus/tail a lot. Maybe he's constipated? There appears to be less poop than before.

The only thing I've noticed with his diet is that he eats a lot slower than before. Last year, he would devour a can of food but the past month or so, he eats like 1/4 of it at first but he does eventually finish it within a couple of hours and will always run for food/treats.

Just keep an eye on him if it's only happened once, it may have been as simple as a bone fragment scraping on the way out. If it reoccurs though or if you feel something has changed give your vet a ring.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ratzap posted:

Just keep an eye on him if it's only happened once, it may have been as simple as a bone fragment scraping on the way out. If it reoccurs though or if you feel something has changed give your vet a ring.

Does the cat eat things with bones in it?

Other things to consider are bladder problems, though those get far worse sooner than months. However, if they are mild, self resolving bladder problems (stress induced bladder inflammation being common) there's the chance a next one could be bad.

Your cat is eating slower, and is trying to over groom his back end. I would call the vet, because especially with cats, not all of us are inclined to stick our finger in/near their butt unless we have to, so a normal physical doesn't mean something isn't happening. Cats love to hide things.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

HelloSailorSign posted:

Does the cat eat things with bones in it?

I've found bone fragments in some tinned brands (one reason I switched to all pouches).

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I agree with Ratzap's earlier post that it could be an anal gland thing. Luckily my cat's never had that happen, but a friend's cat would try to poo, cry, drag her butt a bit, cry and overly groom her arse area and sit exactly like that pic of this poor old boy cat, and she got taken to the vet and had noxious goo squeezed out of her gross butt and was put on antibiotics, and then she was fine and never pulled stuff like that again.

Anecdotes 5eva.

Honestly, though, if that happened to my cat twice in a two week period I would take her to the vet because she is my buddy and my comfort animal and that would freak me out. Also because I wouldn't want to run the risk of cat arse pus exploding on my bed because gently caress THAT.

E: also Geno even though he is sitting rudely because his butt hurts he is really, really pretty. :3:

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 18, 2013

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

PFlats posted:

Incidentally, anyone have any litter recommendations?

World's Best.

World's Best

WORLD'S BEST

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabbit Hill posted:

For that matter, what is driving the big cat to groom his little buddy? Do male cats have paternal instincts? Does he think of the kitten as his son? (:kimchi:)
He probably does. Older cats groom younger cats, and some toms have been known to parent kittens as single dads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

turbomoose posted:

Hey I'm going to be adopting some kittens in the next couple weeks. I had cats as a kid but this will be the first time I have them on my own and have a few questions.

-I live in the south with a bunch of roaches around, and thus have spread some boric acid around the house, likely places the kittens won't be able to access (under the fridge, oven, etc), but should I vacuum it up anyway? How dangerous is it to have around kittens?

I've got roach problems and just adopted a cat, so I'm curious about this, too. I haven't put anything down to stop the roaches, but I think I definitely need to. It looks like from my searching that diatomaceous earth is safe for cats. Hell some people even mix it into food. I'm thinking of dropping a bunch everywhere and maybe even putting it in the litterbox since I'm using a wheat litter. I'm taking her to the vet for a visit (I got a freebie for adopting her) and I'll ask the vet about it so I can get a sound medical opinion and I'll report back.

The diatomaceous earth just desiccates the insects, whereas boric acid is a stomach poison for insects. The lethal dose for boric acid is a bit under salt's, but I'm not sure about its long-term exposure risks.