Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Does anyone know how the Hashshashin's succession works? I was getting annoyed I couldn't vassalize them for about 20 years because they were ruled by Persians, with the cultural difference malus being the only stumbling block. Then all of a sudden some random Egyptian guy took over, which let me do it (sidenote: 14 piety hire cost :swoon:). It says Agnatic Open Elective and has a bunch of random people as next in line but I've no idea how/why it picks them. Not really a big deal but I'm curious :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I played this game a while ago before they added sword of islam and the pagan DLC and am now just starting to get back into it. For some reason I remember Judaism existing in the game back then, but looking in-game and googling around I guess it never was? I don't think I played any mods either.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Judaism never existed in vanilla, only in CK2+.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Maybe I did play CK2+ I guess.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Allyn posted:

I believe inbred is based on the character string for DNA which you can see with the charinfo command though, so not *exactly* related to the dynasty. It just so happens that the two were very similar genetically
I really, really don't think that this is the case. Do you have reason to believe it?

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
I've recently picked up this game. I've forced myself through the daunting complexity and I'm glad I did; I'm having a lot of fun after getting a grip on the mechanics. :shobon: I do have a question, and I apologize if this has been answered previously: is there a way to dump the event log for the current game? It'd be really neat if I could save the event log from a session to go back and reconstruct the 'story' more accurately. Supposedly there is a "debug_dumpevents" command, but it returns an error saying "command only available for developers." I'm away from my main computer so I have yet to try this out; is this still the case?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Allyn posted:

Does anyone know how the Hashshashin's succession works? I was getting annoyed I couldn't vassalize them for about 20 years because they were ruled by Persians, with the cultural difference malus being the only stumbling block. Then all of a sudden some random Egyptian guy took over, which let me do it (sidenote: 14 piety hire cost :swoon:). It says Agnatic Open Elective and has a bunch of random people as next in line but I've no idea how/why it picks them. Not really a big deal but I'm curious :)

Anything that has open elective for the succession law means that the next in line is the next most powerful adviser on the council (aside from the ruler himself). So after the current leader will be his high chancellor, then his marshal, and so on and so forth.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

I really, really don't think that this is the case. Do you have reason to believe it?

Well I read it here but I don't really know if it's actually close to reality or not :shobon:

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
I remember reading on the paradox forums that the DNA string is only used for portraits and that the chance of a child being born with a congenital trait is just a base chance + a bonus if the parents have it, nothing further.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Just lost my best character ever. I was content to sit on my laurels with this one, figuring he wouldn't really go anywhere. He got to be about 54 or so, got sick, and I thought "Yep. Gonna see what my next character does" and then I randomly got holy warred on and lost one of my duchies. A few years later, the HRE gets involved in two wars that go very bad for them, and I spend the next couple of decades conquering the entirety of France from under them. My guy dies with something like 14,000 prestige and 4,000 Piety, almost all of which was gained when he was an elderly man.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Is it just me or does CK2+ make it way more difficult to gain territory? Pressing vassals' claims doesn't get me the territory unless I've got a spare ducal or higher title to hand out, Holy Wars can only be waged once every 5 years and can be freely ended by the loser with a decision, Fabricate Claims seems even more useless than in vanilla, and marrying into territory isn't any easier than before. Are there any tricks I can rely on here? Two character deaths in quick succession left me with zero claims and there's no de jure claims left for me to press.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Main Paineframe posted:

Is it just me or does CK2+ make it way more difficult to gain territory? Pressing vassals' claims doesn't get me the territory unless I've got a spare ducal or higher title to hand out, Holy Wars can only be waged once every 5 years and can be freely ended by the loser with a decision, Fabricate Claims seems even more useless than in vanilla, and marrying into territory isn't any easier than before. Are there any tricks I can rely on here? Two character deaths in quick succession left me with zero claims and there's no de jure claims left for me to press.

CK2+ is all about slow expansion, and it's not the best mod to play if you want to go all out and paint the map your color in a single generation. I would recommend Project Balance for a good mod that still retains (and augments quite well!) the fun of vanilla. Throw VIET on top of that and you've got yourself a pretty robust game.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

I remember reading on the paradox forums that the DNA string is only used for portraits and that the chance of a child being born with a congenital trait is just a base chance + a bonus if the parents have it, nothing further.
Inbred is special, every other trait has a "birth=x" modifier where x is the chance (in 10,000) of any random child receiving that trait at birth. Instead of "birth=x", inbred has "inbred=yes", so the game does some hardcoded calculation for inbreeding and assigns the trait based on that. It can't be based entirely on dynasty, as distantly related members of the same dynasty can reproduce with no problems at all, while closely related members of different dynasties (an uncle-niece marriage, for example) can produce inbred offspring.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Watching the inbred trait proliferate among continental Europe's ruling monarchs is pretty fun to chart from the 867 start!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Supposedly characters inherit half their dna from each parent and if the two halves are to similar they get the inbred trait.

(I have no clue if this is true)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nutranurse posted:

CK2+ is all about slow expansion, and it's not the best mod to play if you want to go all out and paint the map your color in a single generation. I would recommend Project Balance for a good mod that still retains (and augments quite well!) the fun of vanilla. Throw VIET on top of that and you've got yourself a pretty robust game.

Ah, I'll definitely have to try those, then. It's not even a matter of conquering everything so much as it is looking at Diplomatic Relations and realizing that there's basically nothing for me to do anytime this decade, except pick a fight with a nearby Kingdom in order to put some random jackass courtier in control of one of their counties, and I don't even get the county.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Kainser posted:

Supposedly characters inherit half their dna from each parent and if the two halves are to similar they get the inbred trait.

(I have no clue if this is true)

I had thought this might be the case, but have a look at one pair and see what you think:

pre:
Father: gogjhcpumix
Mother: hmudpnpnasl
Son:    holdhcpnail
If the strands of DNA are being compared for similarity it is more complex than can be seen at first glance, at least

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Experiment idea: find a husband/wife pair who are totally unrelated to each other, then edit their DNA strings to be identical. Use [pollinate] a bunch of times and see if their children all come out inbred.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Whatever happened to the "fall in love" ambition in CK2+? It made for a rather nice incentive to butter up your wife.

Edit: Also can you de jure drift titles UNDER the Kingdom of Jerusalem? I want to add Sinai so I can make it part of my de jure empire when I get to that point, but I'd need to wait for Petra to de jure drift using Syria. Can I use Jerusalem?

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 17, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Allyn posted:

What advantage do you have if you vassalize them? Can you hire them as armies? Or can they really assassinate other people for just 14 piety? I did not know that you could do anything with them! If I play Muslims it is nearly always as a Sunni.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

NihilCredo posted:

Experiment idea: find a husband/wife pair who are totally unrelated to each other, then edit their DNA strings to be identical. Use [pollinate] a bunch of times and see if their children all come out inbred.

One time my bastard's father was also its mother. I imagine that had to have involved identical dna calculation.

Main Paineframe posted:

I think the other one is that Requesting Invasion will not actually give you all the territories that you've captured when you win. IIRC, fabricate claim works exactly the same though, I believe one time my chancellor fabricated 3 claims in the space of a year.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Torrannor posted:

What advantage do you have if you vassalize them? Can you hire them as armies? Or can they really assassinate other people for just 14 piety? I did not know that you could do anything with them! If I play Muslims it is nearly always as a Sunni.

Literally just a cheaper hiring cost, and possibly preventing any other Shia from hiring them. (Hard to tell on the second one as I'm the only Shia nation on the map :shobon:). By hiring cost I don't mean to assassinate people -- they're actually a holy order like the Knights Templar et al. They just give you about 5k troops, which at this point isn't actually anything worthwhile at all as my levies are at 250k, I just wanted to see if it was possible or not. :shobon: They still assassinate my courtiers at random which is pretty bizarre.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 17, 2013

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

...Well done, dad.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Rejected Fate posted:

...Well done, dad.

I like to think of that as one of those Pseudo Dimitry situations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rejected Fate posted:

...Well done, dad.

Well, seems like we have to rewrite the history of artificial insemination...

How does this happen? Is this some variant of the illegitimate child event? Did the mother never remarry after her husband died, and she now hooked up with a random courtier who refuses to confirm his fatherhood? 10 years are a pretty big gap.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love all the rules that you just have to learn by getting hosed over. I gave my son a duchy when he turned 16 and didn't realize that takes away my ability to arrange a marriage for him. My last heir (me currently) arranged a marriage with his bastard aunt and turned out an inbred baby before I could divorce them so I was not confident in the odds. I'm just gonna reload from an earlier save next session.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

fleshweasel posted:

I love all the rules that you just have to learn by getting hosed over. I gave my son a duchy when he turned 16 and didn't realize that takes away my ability to arrange a marriage for him. My last heir (me currently) arranged a marriage with his bastard aunt and turned out an inbred baby before I could divorce them so I was not confident in the odds. I'm just gonna reload from an earlier save next session.

I like to think of my family home as a sort of prison camp. Nobody gets out.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fintilgin posted:

I like to think of my family home as a sort of prison camp. Nobody gets out.

The game will punish you for this.

All characters not banging your ruler get a hidden reduction to fertility. Your dynastic population will dwindle, topped up only by rulers.

I manage this problem by landing distant cousins, who will then start breeding at the normal rate again.

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Or load the game as your duke son and make the marriage proposal that way. Barely counts as cheating, in my opinion, to have junior follow dear old dad's marriage advice.

edit: Though his lack of political clout might make it harder, I guess.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I dunno, I've done okay so far.

The first five - six kids I have always stay home... forever. Daughters are matralinitally married as insurance, sons are married and never landed. Daughters born after I've had half a dozen kids sometimes get married off across the map.

If I'm handing out land to family members it's generally to nephews or cousins with minimal claims.

If you land your sons they all instantly turn into cruel, arbitrary, excomunicated, kin-slaying heretics, so they all stay in the nursery until I die. :colbert: (It's not like prestige is hard to come by)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Ugh. I hate how bloated and unwieldy the CK2 save games get after a while. I'm editing the save file of a game ~200 years in, adjusting dynasties and whatnot, but the goddamned file's so large that notepad++ seizes up randomly and just decides to crash. It's taken 2+ hours to do work that should take me half an hour because of how CK2 decides to keep most information on everyone everwhere for forever.

I'm hoping someone makes a save game trimmer like that one dude did for CK1.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

All characters not banging your ruler get a hidden reduction to fertility. Your dynastic population will dwindle, topped up only by rulers.

I manage this problem by landing distant cousins, who will then start breeding at the normal rate again.

I keep fearing that they might rise up and claim the throne, so I always make relatives into barons. They'll get the benefits of being landed without the vague threat that comes with being a Count. Also, if you make married men into priests, they can still have kids.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
As the Byzantines do you get any de jure claims if you pursue the restoration of the Roman Empire?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I get a little sad that my rules probably have no Robert/Ned style friendships with non-family members because all my vassals in my starting kingdoms end up as non-title claimant family members.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Always invite claimants with the Viking trait to court, they seem to have a higher chance to get up to ridiculous poo poo and gain lustful, greedy, kinslayer, martial in the 20s and produce loads of kids.

That's how you get your robert/ned friends going on.

I try to poach Varangian characters wherever possible - land them, kill off family members, push succession crisis claims and you just added a total badass with some land into your empire. Admittedly it only seems to work when you're playing someone with de jure claims on Scandinavia.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As the Byzantines do you get any de jure claims if you pursue the restoration of the Roman Empire?

Nothing beyond what appears on the de jure empire mapmode, no. So you've gotta fabricate claims/invite claimants and land them for Genoa/Ferrara/Latium.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Allyn posted:

Nothing beyond what appears on the de jure empire mapmode, no. So you've gotta fabricate claims/invite claimants and land them for Genoa/Ferrara/Latium.

Once you do reform, though, you get the very powerful Imperial Restoration CB against any Christian lands within the historical maximum bounds of the Roman Empire.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
For the restoration to happen at all you have to have "complete control" over a shitton of territories. Is that just owning all counties in a territory or does it have to de jure drift?

(Also, sorry if this has been asked before but can the AI ever restore the Empire itself or is it something the player'd have to take over to do?)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm playing as a Suomenusko character, and am trying to create the Suomenusko Church title, and I have the required 300 ducats, but it's still telling me that I can't do it because "The title can only be held by Suomenusko characters". What the hell?

Do I need to reform the religion first? Because I thought it wasn't even called Suomenusko after being reformed, so can the title just not be created at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

I'm playing as a Suomenusko character, and am trying to create the Suomenusko Church title, and I have the required 300 ducats, but it's still telling me that I can't do it because "The title can only be held by Suomenusko characters". What the hell?

Do I need to reform the religion first? Because I thought it wasn't even called Suomenusko after being reformed, so can the title just not be created at all?

The Church is created upon Reforming the faith. It can't be created before that.

• Locked thread