Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FunOne posted:

So, if I read that correctly, the lowest it'll go is 110, then to 0 when the contract runs out.

Thats some bullshit.

$120, but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Did I miss a change in wireless technology in the last year that removed the limits of wireless bandwidth?

Wireless carriers arguably charge too much for most/all of their services, but wireless spectrum is a limited commodity shared between users and VZW services wouldnt work for poo poo if everyone used it like some of the people in this thread.

But it was their mistake to every offer it as unlimited if they couldn't supply it. And that is something that they are trying to fix.

To these people who say they are gone if they are forced off, Iam curious which carrier they will switch to. Att is the next best network, but they dont have unlimited anymore. Tmobile and sprint do but tmobile throttles and sprint is functionally usless in most areas.

The issue is, caps and overages aren't a way to combat congestion. A congested node with everyone under their cap is still a congested node. If I'm on a node that's only a partial capacity, why does it make sense to count my bandwidth usage the same as at an overcapacity site?

It's not like that $10 overage you pay for going over your cap is directly funding infrastructure improvements.

Soft caps are the way to go. I would have no issue with giving up 'unlimited' if it meant that I got full speed bandwidth for my first 2gb and am then throttled to something reasonable like 3Mbps for the remainder of my cycle.

Congestion is a real problem and it does take money to upgrade networks to deal with it, but their pricing model really doesn't make a whole lot of sense for dealing with it.

As to leaving, yes AT&T isn't unlimited anymore. But all that means is the playing field is leveled. AT&T coverage most places is nearly on par with Verizon and you get FAR more freedom of devices. The only reason why I tolerate the device selection and restrictions on Verizon at this point is because I'm grandfathered into unlimited. If that goes away, all bets are off and I'm going to evaluate all carriers equally.

Honestly, AIO seems to be a direction I might lean. It's not super high speed, but 4Mbps is plenty fast enough to do what I want to do with a smartphone most of the time and they only throttle if you go past your cap. For $55 (including all taxes) for unlimited talk, text, and 2gb of data on AT&Ts network, it's really enticing compared to the $90ish I pay now after all taxes and fees and such. Then I also get a ton more freedom with devices.

It's a snowball effect for me. If I switch my cellphone plan to someone else, I'm also likely to downgrade my FiOS service to internet only and rely on Hulu+ and Google Play for my TV since I'm getting a bundled discount right now.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

Did I miss a change in wireless technology in the last year that removed the limits of wireless bandwidth?

Wireless carriers arguably charge too much for most/all of their services, but wireless spectrum is a limited commodity shared between users and VZW services wouldnt work for poo poo if everyone used it like some of the people in this thread.

But it was their mistake to every offer it as unlimited if they couldn't supply it. And that is something that they are trying to fix.

To these people who say they are gone if they are forced off, Iam curious which carrier they will switch to. Att is the next best network, but they dont have unlimited anymore. Tmobile and sprint do but tmobile throttles and sprint is functionally usless in most areas.

Umm, this might have been the case with CDMA, but with real 4g on the way this is absolutely not the case. congestion (even in major cities) and the solution to it was almost finished being built out by verizon 2-3 years ago. Real network congestion on 4g doesn't exist, because you will not be on a single tower for pretty much any period of time. Also because data usage has no correlation to actual congestion which refers to phone calls, and not to data.

To be honest, unlimited on 3g was bad. unlimited on LTE in any flavor however, is correct.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm heading to Verizon to upgrade off unlimited and get into that 6GB plan for $30. Is there a specific code or plan name I can tell them so they don't try and pitch me the Edge plan? Is it called Verizon Max?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Interested in that too. I might end up buying a 5S from the Apple store so I will probably go the retroactive route but good to know in case I go into VZW.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
So I went ahead and started using my vzw iphone (4g lte) as a hotspot, and if it weren't for the data cap I would be absolutely thrilled.

Here are my last 3 Speed tests, at different times of day on different days:

Day 1:
Ping 51
D/L: 28.33
U/L: 5.23

Day 2:
Ping 69
D/L: 26.45
U/L: 3.91

Day 3:
Ping 52
D/L: 25.82
U/L: 7.36

These numbers blow our old cable internet away, and I could easily use this for just about everything if it weren't for the cap. Unfortunately as soon as you add Netflix streaming or Dropbox to the mix (both of which I used extensively at our old place), you will blow through any data cap they give you.

So this definitely works for now, but we will have to change our internet habits and I will have to do some stuff at the office that I used to do at home (in terms of transferring files to Dropbox).

The speeds are fantastic, though.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Ishamael posted:

So I went ahead and started using my vzw iphone (4g lte) as a hotspot, and if it weren't for the data cap I would be absolutely thrilled.

Here are my last 3 Speed tests, at different times of day on different days:

Day 1:
Ping 51
D/L: 28.33
U/L: 5.23

Day 2:
Ping 69
D/L: 26.45
U/L: 3.91

Day 3:
Ping 52
D/L: 25.82
U/L: 7.36

These numbers blow our old cable internet away, and I could easily use this for just about everything if it weren't for the cap. Unfortunately as soon as you add Netflix streaming or Dropbox to the mix (both of which I used extensively at our old place), you will blow through any data cap they give you.

So this definitely works for now, but we will have to change our internet habits and I will have to do some stuff at the office that I used to do at home (in terms of transferring files to Dropbox).

The speeds are fantastic, though.

What city? Just curious. Speeds in DC are about 10Mbps lower than that

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm helping a coworker buy his first smartphone. He's on Verizon right now with an ancient flip phone.

He's looking to spend around $100 for a phone, hooked into a 2 year contract with a minimal data plan (to start with). I suggested the S3, since I have one and like it. But I'm also out of the loop on phones. Is there a better choice (Android or iOS) for that price range? He has no bias toward OS.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

I'm helping a coworker buy his first smartphone. He's on Verizon right now with an ancient flip phone.

He's looking to spend around $100 for a phone, hooked into a 2 year contract with a minimal data plan (to start with). I suggested the S3, since I have one and like it. But I'm also out of the loop on phones. Is there a better choice (Android or iOS) for that price range? He has no bias toward OS.

I would recommend a phone on the platform you currently have, since you are probably going to be fielding questions from him for a long time. The S3 is as good as any 100 dollar android phone.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Hughmoris posted:

I'm heading to Verizon to upgrade off unlimited and get into that 6GB plan for $30. Is there a specific code or plan name I can tell them so they don't try and pitch me the Edge plan? Is it called Verizon Max?

Let me know too. I'll probably do this on Friday when trying to get the 5s.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I'm on a single line account so that's not really an option.

Thank god for family plans and compliant family members, I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, my parents are pay as you go people and spend less than $30 /month on cell service and my sister's phone is provided by her job. It will never be in my financial advantage to go to a family plan.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Hughmoris posted:

Tell them it's the Verizon Max plan but be expected to have to call in. I doubt they'll know what the plan is and even if they did they'll probably be trying to sell you on the Edge plan first.

This was from the first post in the thread about :

SFO 79398: $30 Loyalty Max 6GB

I didn't tell them that when I called as they just knew what it was but that might simplify it if you have them look that plan up.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sigma posted:

I would recommend a phone on the platform you currently have, since you are probably going to be fielding questions from him for a long time. The S3 is as good as any 100 dollar android phone.

Thanks - that was my rationale as well.

He's a longtime Verizon customer so I guess he should ask about the loyalty plan? I'm going to do my best to meet him at the Verizon store this weekend, but if I can't make it I want to help him as much as possible in advance. He's not the most savvy person.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

bam thwok posted:

What city? Just curious. Speeds in DC are about 10Mbps lower than that

About 30 miles west of Raleigh NC.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

me your dad posted:

I would say an iPhone 5C would hit the spot here, really.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kitten smoothie posted:

I would say an iPhone 5C would hit the spot here, really.

Yup. Just tell him to get 5c and he'll be blown away.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Ishamael posted:

About 30 miles west of Raleigh NC.

Oh wow, I've been pulling down like one tenth of that in Durham lately on my Galaxy S3. I guess I should go in the store to get that checked out.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
We're in a spot where we need to buy a phone today. Best Buy will price match Amazon and sell the Samsung S4 for $119. Verizon will sell it in-store for $199. Is there any reason not to use best buy when upgrading? The plan will change from nationwide f&f with unlimited to one of the share everything plans. It sounds like I'll have to call in to get the Verizon Max 6GB either way.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Hughmoris posted:

We're in a spot where we need to buy a phone today. Best Buy will price match Amazon and sell the Samsung S4 for $119. Verizon will sell it in-store for $199. Is there any reason not to use best buy when upgrading? The plan will change from nationwide f&f with unlimited to one of the share everything plans. It sounds like I'll have to call in to get the Verizon Max 6GB either way.

Not really, no. I think Best Buy is starting to pair down their price matching stuff though - they recently changed their Geek Squad insurance plan so now it's basically the same ripoff as the carrier's insurance (they used to not charge a deductible for replacement, but now they do) so I would maybe call up and double check on the Amazon price matching. Looks like they're starting to re-tool their pricing schemes a bit.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Verizon being petty and dickish for no good reason? Any company people able to shed light on this?

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/9/17/4741568/verizon-reportedly-wont-activate-nexus-7-on-its-network

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I would say they are about to get into trouble with the FCC again.

My guess is it's a case of the systems being ill equipped to deal with BYOD to the network even though there's zero technical hurdles. They better get it sorted out soon or they'll be in trouble.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 17, 2013

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just a follow-up from my purchase experience today. Went to Best Buy, was hoping they'd price match Amazon's price of the Samsung S4 for $129. They stated that they only match local competitors pricing on contract phones. However, the helpful rep called Sam's Club for me and Sam's was selling it for $98. Works for me!

Of course, the best buy rep had no clue about the Verizon Max 6GB upgrade. He called Verizon Customer Support to work out some issues with the upgrade and their rep said Verizon Max is only available for Verizon Edge customers...

Here's where it gets interesting. The Verizon customer service rep stated that she could put the phone on a $60 unlimited talk/text with 2GB of data. Due to trying to port out an old number at the same time, she stated I would have to call back tomorrow and try and get that plan. For our Verizon people here, have you heard of this seemingly amazing deal? The $60 was all inclusive for the voice/text/data.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Well, I would say they are about to get into trouble with the FCC again.

My guess is it's a case of the systems being ill equipped to deal with BYOD to the network even though there's zero technical hurdles. They better get it sorted out soon or they'll be in trouble.

There was a useful comment on the G+ post here where this was originally brought up. It sounds like it is a system issue and not a policy issue.

quote:

This is a technical limitation of the system.

Verizon absolutely does support LTE-only devices, and is required to activate any compatible device on the LTE network. However, the system is still set up to check an internal Device Management Database for the ESN/MEID - this is the way their system has always worked, as a whitelist - and has not been updated to allow non-whitelisted MEIDs.

This is because Verizon's internal system is a terrifyingly complicated beast and will take quite a while to modify without breaking everything. This isn't malice on Verizon's part - just the inertia of making massive changes to an old, Frankenstein's-monster of a system.

There are a couple ways to get your Nexus 7 activated. The easiest is to just throw an existing SIM in; it will automatically activate and provision. You can also submit your device for approval and addition to the DMD, but that requires sending your device in and takes a few weeks. 

So basically, if you already have a Verizon SIM that is provisioned with service, stick it in the device. It'll apparently add your IMEI to the whitelist automatically. But if you don't already have service, well, you're kinda boned unless you borrow a MiFi or something so you have an IMEI to give them when establishing service.

There are other comments there and on the associated Reddit thread that seem to corroborate this; lots of people were saying they pulled their SIM out of another Verizon device and popped it into a N7, and things just worked.

edit: he also says at the end of this that he took the SIM from his Chromebook Pixel and put it in the N7, and it just worked. So I guess in his case he could just get a new SIM for the Chromebook and be in business, if not for the principle of the matter

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 18, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ultimately though, it's Verizon fighting the spirit of the law even if they are obeying the letter. They technically aren't keeping any devices off the network. However, by making the process inordinately difficult, they are discouraging those devices.

The system may be difficult to change, but it doesn't take much to send a memo out to store saying "pop an activated sim in the device first to auto-whitelist it and then issue a new one." They just aren't much motivated to do so.

I don't expect the "system issue" to be fixed anytime soon.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Test device ESN was showing as a "tablet" for a while on Share Everything plans. Someone try it and see if it works.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Hughmoris posted:

Just a follow-up from my purchase experience today. Went to Best Buy, was hoping they'd price match Amazon's price of the Samsung S4 for $129. They stated that they only match local competitors pricing on contract phones. However, the helpful rep called Sam's Club for me and Sam's was selling it for $98. Works for me!

Of course, the best buy rep had no clue about the Verizon Max 6GB upgrade. He called Verizon Customer Support to work out some issues with the upgrade and their rep said Verizon Max is only available for Verizon Edge customers...

Here's where it gets interesting. The Verizon customer service rep stated that she could put the phone on a $60 unlimited talk/text with 2GB of data. Due to trying to port out an old number at the same time, she stated I would have to call back tomorrow and try and get that plan. For our Verizon people here, have you heard of this seemingly amazing deal? The $60 was all inclusive for the voice/text/data.

Maybe call back and try again tomorrow. They knew what I was talking about immediately. PM me and I'll send you the info for the rep I had helping me. He's from the tech support area so he may know more than the normal reps.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

Test device ESN was showing as a "tablet" for a while on Share Everything plans. Someone try it and see if it works.
The test device ESN can be provisioned as any any type of device. It is not normally allowed to be used for longer than a week since it is used to suspend a line when the normal suspend/reconnect limit has been met for the day or when retardos can't figure out how to do a multi-line phone swap in one system order.

Please do not try to use the test device on a long term basis because it gets audited by the Verizon Secret Police. If you have an extra line you don't use but don't want to disconnect it because of ETF use an old ESN or Device ID from some other line. Your customer service person can look that up and put it in place for you.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
Realizing now that the droid maxx I just got has a different sized SIM card than my VZW gnex, so I guess I need an adapter now to pop the SIM card into my ipad. Anyone buy one of these that wasn't a dainty plastic piece of junk?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

bam thwok posted:

Realizing now that the droid maxx I just got has a different sized SIM card than my VZW gnex, so I guess I need an adapter now to pop the SIM card into my ipad. Anyone buy one of these that wasn't a dainty plastic piece of junk?
You can get a new 4G LTE SIM from any corporate owned store for free. You can also order them from CS but it has standard two day FedEx shipping.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
For what its worth for people interested in the Max/6GB plan, I called customer care, and she knew what I was referring to immediately, notated my account that I had already been proven eligible, and said to just go ahead and do the upgrade, then call back and they would change it.

So basically what others in here have said, but I wanted to make sure.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

You can get a new 4G LTE SIM from any corporate owned store for free. You can also order them from CS but it has standard two day FedEx shipping.

Then what would I put in my phone? Can I have two active SIMs at once? No, right?

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

bam thwok posted:

I just trimmed off the extra plastic of my big SIM card to fit into the nano size. You can also google a template to print out if you want a little more precision.

edit: I had a nano sim card to use as a template and just used some sharp scissors. Basically just don't cut the gold part.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On some SIMs you'll have to cut the gold, but it doesn't matter.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Well, that was painless. Called Verizon back today and had my sister put on a Loyalty Plan since she was coming off an unlimited plan. Unlimited talk/text and 2GB for $60/mo. The most she has ever used in a month is 600MB. She gets Verizon coverage for almost pre-paid rates.

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
It looks like Verizon is offering $200 for my iPhone 4S 16GB from Sprint if I trade in. My phone is in pretty much perfect condition except for a loose charging port. Any thoughts if I can get the full $200 (or close to it) for trade in value?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Killmaster posted:

It looks like Verizon is offering $200 for my iPhone 4S 16GB from Sprint if I trade in. My phone is in pretty much perfect condition except for a loose charging port. Any thoughts if I can get the full $200 (or close to it) for trade in value?

Gazelle isn't even offering close to that. AT&T iPhones have the best resale value and Verizon ones are only ok, so I'm guessing you should go for it.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Congobongo posted:

I just trimmed off the extra plastic of my big SIM card to fit into the nano size. You can also google a template to print out if you want a little more precision.

edit: I had a nano sim card to use as a template and just used some sharp scissors. Basically just don't cut the gold part.

I don't get it :(

The new sim for my phone is smaller than the one my ipad takes (2nd or 3rd generation, I can never remember which). How is making it smaller going to help?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

The test device ESN can be provisioned as any any type of device. It is not normally allowed to be used for longer than a week since it is used to suspend a line when the normal suspend/reconnect limit has been met for the day or when retardos can't figure out how to do a multi-line phone swap in one system order.

Please do not try to use the test device on a long term basis because it gets audited by the Verizon Secret Police. If you have an extra line you don't use but don't want to disconnect it because of ETF use an old ESN or Device ID from some other line. Your customer service person can look that up and put it in place for you.

Oh I know. I wasn't advocating parking it, simply activating the line with a test device to get the SIM scanned in and then device swap to the N7 IMEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Killmaster posted:

That's rally good, you would be hard pressed to get that from eBay. For reference ATT would offer $155.

• Locked thread