Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hashal posted:

Your baby Bentleys may suck, but when I google baby Corvette, I found what what my future offspring will (hopefully) be:

(wrong thread and all)

Actually I always thought the FD RX7 looked like a baby Corvette:

Although to be fair the FD was first, so maybe more accurate to say the Vette is a giant RX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Speaking of terrible cars, about what year did Hyundai go from being a bad idea to a good value?

Early to mid 2000's.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Speaking of terrible cars, about what year did Hyundai go from being a bad idea to a good value?

I have a 2005 Elantra, which has done the metric equivalent of 125,000 miles, and cost me the Australian equivalent of US$1600.

I got it after it had been given to a 21 year old guy who spent 3 years beating the ever loving poo poo out of it, and not maintaining it at all.

I bought it knowing it needed tyres, a timing belt, a clutch, replacement driveshafts, rear wheel bearings, suspension bushings, a service, spark plugs, complete fluid change, and one hell of a loving clean (hence why I paid about 1/4 of book value) but even still, it started right up after sitting for three months, the engine ran smoothly, it shifted well, and despite having a bit of a shabby body, the rest of the car has cleaned up pretty nicely.

Admittedly, I've dropped about $800 on parts for it, but considering that it's a Hyundai, and an old, very abused one at that, it runs and drives brilliantly now it's actually had some TLC... No smoke, no rattles, and everything works perfectly.

Edit: The other advantage to driving a cheap car, of course, is being able to do stuff like this and give zero fucks:

Red steelies and lettered hotrod tyres? :whatup:

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 17, 2013

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I like this comparison. It looks like the before/after pictures on a weight loss infomercial.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fucknag posted:

Actually I always thought the FD RX7 looked like a baby Corvette:

Although to be fair the FD was first, so maybe more accurate to say the Vette is a giant RX?

I always thought the FD looked like a shrunken Viper GTS, but that's uncanny.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

animeliker posted:

Non-Turbo Mk3 Supras and Z32 300ZXs all seemed to share the same bloody fate; riced to oblivion by idiots with poor taste and even poorer attitudes to maintenance. At the very least some were turned into budget drift/track cars, so it isn't all bad I guess.

And some have been taken care of better-than-showroom-standards like my 91 TT with 102 on the chassis, and 500 on the build 650-700hp motor. I've put well what i could have bought a 911 into my Z32, but it's my car. It's my bby, I love it, It';ll never go anywhere. I'll always own it.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Maybe 2018-2022 or so.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Method Loser posted:

And some have been taken care of better-than-showroom-standards like my 91 TT with 102 on the chassis, and 500 on the build 650-700hp motor. I've put well what i could have bought a 911 into my Z32, but it's my car. It's my bby, I love it, It';ll never go anywhere. I'll always own it.

You are a good person. Just thought you should know that. :)

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

I think it was around when they started doing the Hyundai Assurance 10yr/100,000mi warranties.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Method Loser posted:

Non-Turbo, man. The Turbo versions of those cars were desirable enough to be well taken care of (and more than quite a few are, such as yours), the same cannot be said for their non-turbo brethren.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Caught this on the way home from work, yes those are chrome truck nutz and the bumper says "tickle this", it was also on gigantic rimz

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

I never expected to see one of these in the US. Weirdly it showed no signs of a rollover.

Aww it made a friend.

This is outside of a sort of gift shop somewhere near the Franconia Notch area of New Hampshire no? It's been so long, so I might be wrong. They have a bunch of old cars on display inside as well.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Yep. I wonder how many of them there are in the US. It can't be many.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
Yeah I don't really know who would think it would be worth the effort to import one, unless you have a ton of free time and disposable income. Each to their own, I guess. It doesn't seem that desirable outside of the immediate novelty and quirkiness. I've seen a right hand drive VW Beetle that someone brought with them to the States when moving here from Britain. It seems like a bit more of a sound idea, considering it was personalized and modified with quite a bit of added kick, but it still certainly sticks out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Uthor posted:

Early to mid 2000's.

My 2001 Accent was absolutely rock loving solid until the end of 2010. I changed the oil every 3-4 thousand miles, replaced the tires once or twice, and eventually had to replace the original battery in 2009. It took me back and forth across the country repeatedly on pretty much a steady 30 mpg city or freeway.

Then the timing belt broke, because my family had never owned a car with a timing belt and we had no idea that was really a thing that could happen. I preferred the 01 Accent to my 2010 Honda Fit, frankly.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

metaxus posted:

I have a 2005 Elantra, which has done the metric equivalent of 125,000 miles, and cost me the Australian equivalent of US$1600.

I got it after it had been given to a 21 year old guy who spent 3 years beating the ever loving poo poo out of it, and not maintaining it at all.

I bought it knowing it needed tyres, a timing belt, a clutch, replacement driveshafts, rear wheel bearings, suspension bushings, a service, spark plugs, complete fluid change, and one hell of a loving clean (hence why I paid about 1/4 of book value) but even still, it started right up after sitting for three months, the engine ran smoothly, it shifted well, and despite having a bit of a shabby body, the rest of the car has cleaned up pretty nicely.

Admittedly, I've dropped about $800 on parts for it, but considering that it's a Hyundai, and an old, very abused one at that, it runs and drives brilliantly now it's actually had some TLC... No smoke, no rattles, and everything works perfectly.

Edit: The other advantage to driving a cheap car, of course, is being able to do stuff like this and give zero fucks:

Red steelies and lettered hotrod tyres? :whatup:

Did you do the lettering? If so nice job.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

General_Failure posted:

Did you do the lettering? If so nice job.

I did. Thought these tyres deserved it with a name like Sneaker - that and the Bridgestone logo are pretty much the only really visible text on the sidewalls.

Only got one wheel done as a bit of a trial before my (admittedly quite old) paint pen ran out, and I've wiped it off.

I'll be buying more paint and doing them all once the weather dries up.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Hyundai did an amazing job entering the car market. Their first attempts at cars (which was a far cry from their background in heavy industries) were dirt cheap because they needed to be. No one was going to spend a fortune on a eco box from a company who has never built them before but buy a cheap disposable car from them? Hell yes!

And let's face it older Hyundais were designed as disposable. They probably even did the math so that when they changed tack and started moving towards cars you'd actually wanted most of their poo poo-boxes were already a memory and the ones that were running were just proof that even a cheap as dirt hyundai will keep on rocking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tobu posted:

Hyundai did an amazing job entering the car market. Their first attempts at cars (which was a far cry from their background in heavy industries) were dirt cheap because they needed to be. No one was going to spend a fortune on a eco box from a company who has never built them before but buy a cheap disposable car from them? Hell yes!

And let's face it older Hyundais were designed as disposable. They probably even did the math so that when they changed tack and started moving towards cars you'd actually wanted most of their poo poo-boxes were already a memory and the ones that were running were just proof that even a cheap as dirt hyundai will keep on rocking.

Didn't they have a few years where their transmissions would die at 50k?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

tobu posted:

Their cars mirrored the general state of the South Korean economy and the automobile budgets of the workers therein, I don't think there was a deliberate move to build shitboxes for years

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 18, 2013

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Didn't they have a few years where their transmissions would die at 50k?

That just fits in with my conspiracy that they built their cars to last a very specific amount of time. :downs:

Also here is some terrible car stuff once again courtesy of my universities car-park.

Click for massive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

tobu posted:

Also here is some terrible car stuff once again courtesy of my universities car-park.

Every second rav4 I see is like this. The rear bumpers must come off pretty easily.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

I think with a blow-out like that they are pretty lucky they only lost a bumper. Look at the tire marks - it must have really shredded in one go or they just kept driving on it.

meanwhile, I keep finding terrible car things today.

http://geekologie.com/2013/09/bad-ideas-car-expertly-modded-to-drive-f.php

Click for video and more pictures of the car you drive from the backseat.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

tobu posted:

I think with a blow-out like that they are pretty lucky they only lost a bumper. Look at the tire marks - it must have really shredded in one go or they just kept driving on it.

Sometimes I have nightmares where I am driving an out of control car from the back seat. I'm not joking.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

tobu posted:

Uhhhhh. That just breaks me. I never even want to be on the road in the same continent as that thing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have had those, too. Also nightmares about being on a motorcycle in the back with no front rider, and it going into a death wobble. There was a picture on Reddit (yeah) a few days ago where a man loving idiot set his Harley's cruise control and hopped onto the passenger pillion while riding past a school bus to freak out the children. His post freaked me out in two ways: one because of his massive idiocy, and the other because of the horrible dream memories surfaced.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

metaxus posted:

I did. Thought these tyres deserved it with a name like Sneaker - that and the Bridgestone logo are pretty much the only really visible text on the sidewalls.

Only got one wheel done as a bit of a trial before my (admittedly quite old) paint pen ran out, and I've wiped it off.

I'll be buying more paint and doing them all once the weather dries up.

That is so cool! Would you mind sharing a bit about the process and everything involved?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I sometimes have dreams where the footwell is way too small and my feet either keep getting stuck or keep mashing all the pedals at once and I have no way to get the car going or to stop it once it moves.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

thealphabetsez posted:

That is so cool! Would you mind sharing a bit about the process and everything involved?

I'd like to see this too. It'd go perfectly with my Hankook RA-08s on the rattlecan black wheels. Just for fun :)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I never expected to see one of these in the US. Weirdly it showed no signs of a rollover.

I used to work weekends at a small attended service rural petrol station. One of the locals had one and he had rolled it. The only evidence of this was damage to the protruding fuel filler cap which no longer fitted properly so was really hard to get off and on and unlocked!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The parking lot across the street has been a real treasure trove lately.. I guess this guy really likes broccoli?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I hope this guy is a podiatrist.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

JaysonAych posted:

I hope this guy is a podiatrist.

Nah, just has a burning hatred for the metric system

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

thealphabetsez posted:

General_Failure posted:

I'd like to see this too. It'd go perfectly with my Hankook RA-08s on the rattlecan black wheels. Just for fun :)

I did it with one of these Artline 400 paint markers, but I suspect you could just as easily do it with a proper tyre crayon or different paint pen.

Jack up the wheel so it's easier to spin as you work, go around the outline of each letter, one after the other. On my tyres if I followed them around in order, the first letter was fully dry by the time I finished the last letter.

After that, paint the inside of each letter with 3-4 coats until the color is even, one at a time, working around the sidewall. Works best if you keep the strokes running in the same direction and just overlap them very slightly.

The paint out of these pens is quite thin and tended to run if it got into the grooved surface on the sidewall outside the letters, so for my next attempt, I'll do the outlines with a finer tipped pen first, and then use the thicker pen to just do the filling.

I used a cotton swab dipped in thinners to clean up any untidy bits.

It's not hard, but it is fiddly and a bit time consuming.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This is the most offensive vehicle I have ever seen.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 18, 2013

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Linedance posted:

This is the most offensive vehicle I have ever seen.

I recognized it as a Disney princess coach before I recognized it as a PT Cruiser. That's impressive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

I sometimes have dreams where the footwell is way too small and my feet either keep getting stuck or keep mashing all the pedals at once and I have no way to get the car going or to stop it once it moves.

Brakes! Mine is always lovely brakes that do almost nothing.

Of course, this has happened when I was awake as well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This was parked outside of a McDonalds next to the gas station where I was filling up. It had a dealer plate and as I was about to take the picture, the owner/drive walked out of McDonalds. It was a ~19 year old black kid in athletic shorts and a tank top. It boggled my mind why he was driving something like this with a dealer plate - my brother opined that perhaps he worked at a dealership and went on a fast food run for them, but he came out of McDonalds empty-handed.

When I asked him if I could take a picture of his car, he broadly smiled and stepped out of the frame, thinking I was doing so in admiration. Good times.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

A Challenger with a sweet flame motif driven by a 19 year old? This is absolutely the wrong thread for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
That's a nicely done flame job on a sweet car. Definitely the wrong thread.