Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Wait, is that actually the old West revolver? That shotgun looking deal that you hold in both hands? Not, like, an actual pistol sized revolver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Looks like it has both a shotgun and a revolver.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gat's sunglasses and a gun that shoots knives? I'd have paid for that.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Knifegun is amazing. New Thumper skin has changed my entire perception of the Thumper. Also sunglasses. Overall very pleased with the GAT V pack.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
GAT V is better than GTA V.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
And of course one of the Western DLC outfits is Clint Eastwood from the Dollars films. Just put a vacuum into my pocket, Volition.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PureRok posted:

No, those are what the Xbox reports. You need to open specific ports to get an "Open" NAT. Or just stick your 360 in the DMZ.

Or enable UPnP and/or get a NAT gateway that supports it properly. Then the Xbox can open ports for itself, which is required if you have multiple boxes behind the same NAT.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Knifegun and the Thumpgun GAT V skin are seriously two of the best weapons in the game.

On an unrelated note, I had a fun little thing happen while I try to wrap up the remaining gold medals in Super Power Fight Club: I ran up to Julius with a Freeze Buff on and he iced over just as the timer clicked into the Silver bracket I rolled my eyes and restarted the challenge, and Julius was still iced over in the preview screen. :haw: Some of the glitches in this game are really fun. Except for all the glitches that aren't, of course.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Probably my favorite one is when the animations gently caress up. It carries over to Super Power Fight Club, your Boss ends up in the default t pose when it shows the versus screen.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Probably my favorite one is when the animations gently caress up. It carries over to Super Power Fight Club, your Boss ends up in the default t pose when it shows the versus screen.

I have a ladyboss with the Laura Bailey voice and I hate the SPFC versus screen because I hate that gross kissy face she makes, it doesn't fit the character at all.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahaha yeah my FemBoss looked really creepy doing that face, while my Travis Brit boss looked downright hilarious.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Shindragon posted:

Sometimes my Boss would scale up buildings without doing the vertical run animation, but in a falling pose. She looked like she was ascending a ladder in Counter-Strike really fast.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

I'm assuming the GATV pack is only free on Steam and PSN, correct? Or is it available though some sort of hoop via XBL, as on their marketplace, it shows up under the normal charge.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Magil of Shadow posted:

I'm assuming the GATV pack is only free on Steam and PSN, correct? Or is it available though some sort of hoop via XBL, as on their marketplace, it shows up under the normal charge.

I think that's more of an issue with Microsoft not letting them put free DLC on the market? I know Valve had issues putting free patches for TF2 on the 360 for a similar reason, which is why it's largely a relic.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So apparently some strange things happen when you try to spawn a vehicle while using the glitchy "ride a tiger" mod...

Things didn't get any better once I hopped off either.

And hey it works on multiple vehicles too! Not sure why you would care but hey, who am I to judge how you play your big cat sims.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is it still worth it to go back and play Saints' Row 3? I remember that the reaction to it was kind of middling, but after renting SR4 and having fun with it, I was thinking about picking it up when it goes on sale.

Also, would I be best off buying SR4 on PC? I've heard that the console versions suffer from frame-rate issues.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Max Wilco posted:

Also, would I be best off buying SR4 on PC? I've heard that the console versions suffer from frame-rate issues.

Not just for the potential of improved frame rate, but also for mods, which are already amazing and only look to get better.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Max Wilco posted:

Is it still worth it to go back and play Saints' Row 3? I remember that the reaction to it was kind of middling, but after renting SR4 and having fun with it, I was thinking about picking it up when it goes on sale.

Yes. There are a ton of references to The Third in 4 so it would be definitely worth going back through the that game. Best to do it before you get too spoiled by the awesome superpowers. :black101:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Are any of the weapons from the Grass Roots Pack or Wild West Pack actual distinguishable weapons with their own unique upgrades or are they all skins? I'm not fond of any of them aesthetically, really, but I might jump on them if they have fun unique effects.

e: The former says that it includes a new weapon while the screenshot shows two, same for the latter with the revolver, so I assume those two specifically are actual weapons so I guess maybe the better question is what their unique upgrade is.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Are any of the weapons from the Grass Roots Pack or Wild West Pack actual distinguishable weapons with their own unique upgrades or are they all skins? I'm not fond of any of them aesthetically, really, but I might jump on them if they have fun unique effects.

e: The former says that it includes a new weapon while the screenshot shows two, same for the latter with the revolver, so I assume those two specifically are actual weapons so I guess maybe the better question is what their unique upgrade is.

The Plunger Gun is a unique weapon that slots in the explosives category and upgrades to shoot instant-death while the Hillbilly and Wild West shotguns are just shotgun skins and the Wild West revolver is a quick-shot pistol skin.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

I'm replaying it now and I think it's great. Superpowers are nice but sometimes you just want to have a car chase ending when you power slide cars into a group of guys and have a good old fashioned gun fight.

They are both fun in different ways.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

itskage posted:

I'm replaying it now and I think it's great. Superpowers are nice but sometimes you just want to have a car chase ending when you power slide cars into a group of guys and have a good old fashioned gun fight.

They are both fun in different ways.

I've started driving places again in 4. It's just... fun.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Throckwoddle posted:

The Plunger Gun is a unique weapon that slots in the explosives category and upgrades to shoot instant-death while the Hillbilly and Wild West shotguns are just shotgun skins and the Wild West revolver is a quick-shot pistol skin.

That's a bummer about the Wild West stuff but a plunger gun sounds pretty loving great.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Differo Cathedra posted:

Yes. There are a ton of references to The Third in 4 so it would be definitely worth going back through the that game. Best to do it before you get too spoiled by the awesome superpowers. :black101:

I got The Third the other day and am having an absolute blast with it, it's definitely worth a playthrough. Haven't played IV yet but definitely will now.

The main thing that impresses is that the characters are genuinely likeable, with well-written and funny dialogue. GTA/Sleeping Dogs/etc are good but always so po-faced, it's nice to have a narrative that fits the actual gameplay and despite how ridiculous it all is the net effect is that I'm having fun and am really, really attached to The Saints. Oleg, Viola, Matt and Pierce especially. Bioware need to pull their heads out of their collective arses and take some tips on how to just make characters rather than melodrama/angst/romance/lovely joke vehicles.

The only misstep so far for me is Zimos. He's alright as a character but his plot seems such a ridiculous turn in the game, all of a sudden I'm forcing women into sex work and treating them as literal property. It's really unnecessary and unpleasant, especially when the rest of the game feels good-natured and progressive. Kinzie feels a bit like nerdbait too, but is still funny and more charismatic than Liara or Merrill or whatever.

Anyway The Third is great, I just hosed up Cyrus' boat and endgame must be coming soon, basically gonna get IV immediately after to see what happens to the crew.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Differo Cathedra posted:

I had never played SR3 until after I'd played through SR4 once, and I wish I'd played the third game first. There's so much in the fourth that makes more sense after you've played the third.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I played SR2 and SR3. I enjoyed both of them but there was such a huge gap in the content and tone between the two that was jarring to me. Characters, themes and plots just seemed miles apart from their incarnations in the other game.

Then SR4 comes along where you're the president of the USA fighting off an alien invasion from inside a Matrix simulation with superpowers and it bridges the gap between those two games as well, holy poo poo.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TJO posted:

The only misstep so far for me is Zimos. He's alright as a character but his plot seems such a ridiculous turn in the game, all of a sudden I'm forcing women into sex work and treating them as literal property. It's really unnecessary and unpleasant, especially when the rest of the game feels good-natured and progressive.

You did the same thing in SR1 and SR2 where you conquered the red-light district and the sex-trade in Stilwater. Twice. You grabbed women off the street and essentially sold them to another pimp multiple times with the "Snatch" activity. You are a literal monster in all the games, just with a "plucky rouge" demeanor that makes it slightly less obvious. Every horrible thing Zinyak says about the Boss is 100% true and they are scum who does things like treat hos as property or tainting tattoo ink with toxic waste. It wasn't the sudden shift people make it out to be, it just becomes more obvious than in the first two games where the same drat thing happens.

Does the amazing, awesome, and fantastic plunger fart gun damage vehicles when fully upgraded?

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 18, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

MrJacobs posted:

You did the same thing in SR1 and SR2 where you conquered the red-light district and the sex-trade in Stilwater. Twice. You grabbed women off the street and essentially sold them to another pimp multiple times with the "Snatch" activity. You are a literal monster in all the games, just with a "plucky rouge" demeanor that makes it slightly less obvious. Every horrible thing Zinyak says about the Boss is 100% true and they are scum who does things like treat hos as property or tainting tattoo ink with toxic waste. It wasn't the sudden shift people make it out to be, it just becomes more obvious than in the first two games where the same drat thing happens.

That's not really what happens in the snatch activities in SR2. In both cases you are recruiting the women, not abducting them, and the game softens the blow of being involved in this by setting it such that their current pimps are abusive. It's not sunshine and rainbows and it's certainly still problematic from a feminist perspective, but I'd say there's a definite difference between going to existing streetworkers and offering them a job at a brothel, and having a bunch of human trafficking victims in the back of your truck and deciding if you are going to sell them off or press them into service as prostitutes. Neither is particularly good, but I'd still say the latter is definitely worse.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Today's patch fixed all the freezes I was encountering. According to the patch notes, it was faulty DRM causing an apphang. Amazing!

But hey, I can actually play the loving game now. :toot: If you've been experiencing freezes, now's a great time to not get mad at the game.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Whoever said that the relationship between 3 and 4 is like that between 1 and 2 was on the money. It takes every idea that 3 didn't quite get to work and just runs with it. The structure is improved massively, everything handles better, the jokes land. It's also one of the very few games that broke the 4th wall in a clever way. The only real thing I'd like added is the ability to tweek what your enemies are. You can alter the colour filter, it would be cool to have the ability to set the standard enemies as STAG, or cops, or gangs or whatever. Then again, that would probably be a nightmare to program.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Reveilled posted:

That's not really what happens in the snatch activities in SR2. In both cases you are recruiting the women, not abducting them, and the game softens the blow of being involved in this by setting it such that their current pimps are abusive. It's not sunshine and rainbows and it's certainly still problematic from a feminist perspective, but I'd say there's a definite difference between going to existing streetworkers and offering them a job at a brothel, and having a bunch of human trafficking victims in the back of your truck and deciding if you are going to sell them off or press them into service as prostitutes. Neither is particularly good, but I'd still say the latter is definitely worse.

No, they were already seasoned prostitutes coming by ship to replace the ones lost not random human trafficking victims. So it's basically the same as the snatch activity but on a much larger scale and just shoves what you are doing in your face and forcing you to choose to give the morning star the seasoned prostitutes or give them to Zimos. It' just as bad as the previous games and the boss is still a piece of poo poo, but that's not how it went down.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

See our shenanigans are cheeky and fun, their shenanigans are cruel and tragic.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 18, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Reveilled posted:

That's not really what happens in the snatch activities in SR2. In both cases you are recruiting the women, not abducting them, and the game softens the blow of being involved in this by setting it such that their current pimps are abusive.

Also, in SR2 you're taking them back to the brothel they used to work at before the abusive pimps kidnapped them and forced them to work street corners.

MrJacobs posted:

No, they were already seasoned prostitutes coming by ship to replace the ones lost not random human trafficking victims.

Where are you getting that from? I don't remember that ever being indicated at all.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

TJO posted:

The only misstep so far for me is Zimos. He's alright as a character but his plot seems such a ridiculous turn in the game, all of a sudden I'm forcing women into sex work and treating them as literal property. It's really unnecessary and unpleasant, especially when the rest of the game feels good-natured and progressive.

I think Volition agreed with you, which is the reason he goes almost entirely unmentioned in SR4.

To be fair, though, apparently he had almost his entire storyline either cut out or merged with other characters'. I have to think a lot of details about how he runs his prostitution ring (which might have had elements to salvage him) were lost in the cut. Saints Row's writers are smart enough that I wouldn't think they'd add something that incongruous unless something went really wrong in translation from concept to creation.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Zimos was kind of symptomatic of all of SR3s problems. You get the sense that the team was allowed to spitball almost without restriction, and huge numbers of the ideas that were accepted weren't really developed properly. Zimos never got past the stage of being "autotune voice guy." The presence of pro-wrestlers had an impact on literally one level (doing a pro wrestling plot line for real would have fit the Saints Row universe perfectly) Burt Reynolds shows up and then vanishes. After all the weirdness of Professor Genki, it's just a generic shooting level. It's more of a scattershot of pretty good ideas that never really went anywhere. Zimos would have been a lot less creepy if he'd turned the hos into a kung fu army, Dolemite style, or they'd all turned out to be robots or something equally ridiculous.

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

I DO NOT EAT HUMAN FOOD; I ONLY EAT
PINE CONES
Everywhere I go online, people are foaming at the mouth about GAT V. It's so beautiful, I love it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Also, in SR2 you're taking them back to the brothel they used to work at before the abusive pimps kidnapped them and forced them to work street corners.

Where are you getting that from? I don't remember that ever being indicated at all.

The character models and voices are no different from the hoes you killed in "Trojan Whores" they could have used random female models if they wanted to convey otherwise, and completely shatter the tone of the game. And if you want to over-analyze it why the gently caress would a multinational organization like the Syndicate use random picked off the street women when they could just import actual prostitutes from other areas they controlled overseas? Viola is smart enough to realize this. I'm done with this topic.

Snowman_McK posted:

Zimos was kind of symptomatic of all of SR3s problems. You get the sense that the team was allowed to spitball almost without restriction, and huge numbers of the ideas that were accepted weren't really developed properly. Zimos never got past the stage of being "autotune voice guy." The presence of pro-wrestlers had an impact on literally one level (doing a pro wrestling plot line for real would have fit the Saints Row universe perfectly) Burt Reynolds shows up and then vanishes. After all the weirdness of Professor Genki, it's just a generic shooting level. It's more of a scattershot of pretty good ideas that never really went anywhere. Zimos would have been a lot less creepy if he'd turned the hos into a kung fu army, Dolemite style, or they'd all turned out to be robots or something equally ridiculous.

I agree with all of this. I found Zimos' gimmick funny, but nothing really happened with him after the boat mission. Was he even in the finale in any meaningful way? I beat the game again a few days ago and honestly can't remember.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PicklesMcGillicuddy posted:

Everywhere I go online, people are foaming at the mouth about GAT V. It's so beautiful, I love it.

I'm surprised there's such a hatedom for Saints Row among GTA players. You'd think GTA fans would be feeling pretty secure with themselves. :shrug:

At least Saints Row players are pretty chill.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PicklesMcGillicuddy posted:

What? Why?

MrJacobs posted:

The character models and voices are no different from the hoes you killed in "Trojan Whores" they could have used random female models if they wanted to convey otherwise, and completely shatter the tone of the game.

You're saying they definitely weren't being forced because of how they were dressed? :psyduck:

MrJacobs posted:

And if you want to over-analyze it why the gently caress would a multinational organization like the Syndicate use random picked off the street women when they could just import actual prostitutes from other areas they controlled overseas?

Because then they'd need to replace the prostitutes in the other places. It wouldn't solve their problem, just spread it around. If human trafficking wasn't a thing that happens all the time you might have a point, but it is and is clearly what is going on in that mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Tiggum posted:

What? Why?

The whole joke to naming the DLC 'GAT V' is so there's a Stream entry for 'GAT V' and sites can say 'GAT V out today on PC!' whereas Grand Theft Auto V won't be out on PC for years.

• Locked thread