Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
Radio premier of Work Bitch is at 3pm EST for the people that missed the leaked version.

Edit* here's the link for the official Work Bitch audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra-h_p-vD2s
Her goofy accent makes me laugh way harder than it should and the beat reminds me of the underground vampire club scene in Blade.

squeee fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

DominoDancing posted:

In her defence, the people who made headlines lately wearing grills (Madonna, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus) are wealthy white girls, so to me that kinda softens the vaguely racist undertones you might detect.
That's a good point but all of those examples happened after the song's release.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

She's a huge rap/Kanye West fan.
That doesn't really contradict anything.

quote:

I'm not a critic so I don't think writing out my musings on Royals would be especially interesting but I do think there is a good amount of depth and nuance there if you approach it more graciously and it certainly isn't just making fun of rappers or celebrities or materialism.
It's a music discussion forum, that's sort of what it's for. Also "I think you're wrong but I'm unwilling to go into any detail or make an actual argument" is not exactly a desirable post.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

het posted:

That doesn't really contradict anything.

It contradicts you're interpretation that Royals is a vaguely racist dig at rappers.

het posted:

If the primary target of derision is rappers...

het posted:

That addition really turns it from a generic middle class kid's cry for relevance to the sort of complaint about pop music I'd expect from a vaguely racist middle class dad.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Gold teeth is just one thing in a long list of examples of big-money excess. It fits in with other things listed, such as Cristal and Maybach which are also heavily associated with hip-hop culture. But then ball gowns, bloodstains are also included, and things which can be taken in a more general way like islands and diamonds. I've not seen a huge number of rappers wearing ball gowns lately but there you go. She's targeting glitz and wealth in pop music in general which obviously includes hip hop music as that is a big part of the music scene today.

Even if the song was blatantly about rappers and the hip hop music scene I don't see why it would necessarily be distasteful or vaguely racist as there are a lot of potential criticisms you could fairly target at the industry which have absolutely nothing to do with race. As it is I don't see anything at all which suggests there is anything distasteful about the song's lyrics.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It contradicts you're interpretation that Royals is a vaguely racist dig at rappers.
It's like "Some of my best friends are black", that doesn't mean it's impossible for her to say something racist.

edit: to clarify, I really meant precisely what I said, "it sounds like something a vaguely racist dad would say". I'm not saying this is some hugely racist thing or she's horribly bigoted, just that when I hear these sentiments expressed like that, my first thought is that I don't really want to hear that person elaborate on them.

Wandle Cax posted:

It fits in with other things listed, such as Cristal and Maybach which are also heavily associated with hip-hop culture.
Like I said, they're actual things that wealthy people own, even if hip hop has latched onto those in particular as symbols of wealth.

het fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 16, 2013

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I actually like Work Bitch, although I'm not sure why. Maybe just because it's a pretty ballsy risk for Britney, not relying on her usual tricks or collaborators.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

het posted:

Like I said, they're actual things that wealthy people own, even if hip hop has latched onto those in particular as symbols of wealth.

So you agree with me then? They are symbolic of hip hop culture's display of wealth. Just because they are actually things that other wealthy people may own doesn't change that.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lord Krangdar posted:

I actually like Work Bitch, although I'm not sure why. Maybe just because it's a pretty ballsy risk for Britney, not relying on her usual tricks or collaborators.

I don't think so. This is another will.i.am production coming right after the HUGE success of Scream and Shout. At this very moment, going into this direction is not risky, it's a no-brainer.

Leonard Pine
Apr 20, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm sure you must have all heard Work Bitch by now the new Britney song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g58N_wKk3Bg&t=234s

I find it very amusing and I enjoy it. I think it's a good song but I can't really tell. I just love they way she rhymes fancy with mansion, and then France for some reason. Brilliant.

I think this is the best Britney single in some time, and makes me very hopeful for the album. I like the message, too - sure, "if you want stuff you need to work for it" isn't revolutionary but coming from the desk of will.i.am it's basically Sartre. I'm pretty sure that part of the success of Roar is its generic "I've been in a tough situation but I'm strong and I got out"-message, and I think people could latch onto this in the same way. If nothing else "Work Bitch" is pretty much the best treadmill song ever.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

I don't think so. This is another will.i.am production coming right after the HUGE success of Scream and Shout. At this very moment, going into this direction is not risky, it's a no-brainer.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that song. I was thinking her usual trick is her trademark croak, and I thought she had been working mainly with Dr. Luke for some time now.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Wandle Cax posted:

So you agree with me then? They are symbolic of hip hop culture's display of wealth. Just because they are actually things that other wealthy people may own doesn't change that.
I think you're missing the part where I think it's kind of gross to specifically be targeting hip hop, and how she could have just left off "gold teeth" and it would just be about generic celebrity excess. You don't have a problem with targeting rappers, I get it. I think it's unpleasant and a little tonedeaf.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lord Krangdar posted:

Oh, I wasn't aware of that song. I was thinking her usual trick is her trademark croak, and I thought she had been working mainly with Dr. Luke for some time now.

It's true that her last album was mainly done by Dr. Luke/Max Martin/Shellback, but even that already had a will.i.am contribution (Big Fat Bass). And her last song with Dr. Luke (Ooh La La from the Smurfs 2 OST) was a massive piece of poo poo.
Scream and Shout was a single from will.i.am's studio album, and after that went to number one basically everywhere around the world he was named executive producer for Britney's new album.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

het posted:

I think you're missing the part where I think it's kind of gross to specifically be targeting hip hop, and how she could have just left off "gold teeth" and it would just be about generic celebrity excess. You don't have a problem with targeting rappers, I get it. I think it's unpleasant and a little tonedeaf.

She isn't 'specifically targeting' hip-hop, she's just not excluding it arbitrarily from her list of opulent music videos. I could say that she shouldn't have specifically targeted women by referencing ball gowns because it comes across as a little bit sexist and tone deaf and it would just as absurd.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Dunno if Twin Shadow falls into this thread but the new track is an absolute monster dance jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFiDnErxU_A

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

het posted:

I also don't think she is specifically targeting rappers. As I said i haven't seen many wearing ball gowns. I'm a big fan of hip hop but I also fail to see how critiquing the excesses of hip hop is in any way unpleasant. It can be a valid commentary. Oh well, some people are determined to find offense where there isn't any, I get that.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Wandle Cax posted:

I also don't think she is specifically targeting rappers. As I said i haven't seen many wearing ball gowns.
Again, the fundamental issue is punching up versus punching down. I'm saying that citing "gold teeth" is crass because it's not exclusive to rich people and has a specific racial minority component that none of the other aspects mentioned has (post-release White Girl Grills aside). It's a lame dad complaint. For that matter, so is the "I'm tired of being told to put my hands in the air" thing. I'm half-expecting her next song to be complaining about how dubstep is "just noise" and "isn't even music" (NOTE: this is a joke. Also, I strongly advise against googling "lorde dubstep", yikes)

edit: off that topic, Work Bitch is pretty catchy, dang.

het fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 17, 2013

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Just an FYI the CHVRCHES album is really good, 'We Sink', 'Gun', 'Tether' and 'Lies' are my favourites, with 'Recover' being my least and when they let one of the guys have a go (layered in some songs, solo in 'Under The Tide', 'You Caught The Light') it sounds like what the new Naked And Famous album should've been.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

het posted:

Again, the fundamental issue is punching up versus punching down. I'm saying that citing "gold teeth" is crass because it's not exclusive to rich people and has a specific racial minority component that none of the other aspects mentioned has (post-release White Girl Grills aside). It's a lame dad complaint. For that matter, so is the "I'm tired of being told to put my hands in the air" thing. I'm half-expecting her next song to be complaining about how dubstep is "just noise" and "isn't even music" (NOTE: this is a joke. Also, I strongly advise against googling "lorde dubstep", yikes)

Fine. I really don't think that was her intention though. You did seem to be implying that any critique against hip-hop would inherently hold a racial connotation which I don't think is necessarily true. Also, I think her message is not really about the crassness or evils of wealth. And it's not necessarily entirely derisive in tone. It's more about the shallowness and irrelevance to her and her friends of the symbols used to display wealth in popular music, and their lack of aspirational worth to real young people.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Katy Perry "Dark Horse" featuring Juicy J

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vknABmlOPwU

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 17, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Just an FYI the CHVRCHES album is really good, 'We Sink', 'Gun', 'Tether' and 'Lies' are my favourites, with 'Recover' being my least and when they let one of the guys have a go (layered in some songs, solo in 'Under The Tide', 'You Caught The Light') it sounds like what the new Naked And Famous album should've been.

Love the synths on this. If there's any other painfully 80s stuff that came out recently, please recommend away! I've been digging the Blouse album from a couple of years ago myself. Kind of sounds like The Cure, Kate Bush and Blondie in a blender. Listen.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

New Katy Perry "Dark Horse" featuring Juicy J

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vknABmlOPwU

This is WAY better than Roar. Why wasn't it the first single?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

nyquil hangover posted:

Because it doesn't really have a proper chorus? I'm exaggerating, obviously, but while I like this for being not as middle of the road as Roar, I can't see anything great in it either. It never really takes off. I'm still looking forward to Prism, but neither Dark Horse nor Roar have really been as good as I expected from her after Teenage Dream.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

nyquil hangover posted:

Because Roar is Firework Part II and Firework Part I made a crapzillion dollars.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
After hearing Britney's newest song and her spot on Scream and Shout, I've kinda decided she's settling in to her role as the elder stateswoman of pop, like where Madonna was when Britney was first coming up. She's using her lower register a lot more (which I really love), and she's adapting to the times while still sounding like herself. Work Bitch is probably the best she's done since Womanizer at least, and might give Toxic a run for it's money (not really but it's pretty good). I wonder if she'll get tapped to sing the next James Bond song...

(in this analogy, Beyonce is like a more relevant mid-ninties Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake is Bad-era Michael Jackson, and Christina is Paula Abdul)

edit: Also, Dark Horse is way better than Roar, but I don't think it will be a successful single because it doesn't have that hook that most Katy Perry songs (the successful ones, anyways) get people with.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I was enjoying Dark Horse until that Juicy J totally killed the momentum. Also I listened to it last night and can't remember what it sounds like at all, even though I often hear just a snippet of a pop song once and have it stuck in my head for days.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Dark Horse kicks the poo poo out of Roar but I can't see it pulling in the numbers that Katy Perry singles are known for. It's too hip-hop in an age where hip-hop is no longer a guaranteed sell. Ten years ago, hip-hop was where EDM is now on the radio, and while I would never say that it isn't still vital or massive or anything, it's nowhere as ubiquitous or as integrated into pop music as it was then. You have guys like 2 Chainz and ASAP Rocky who only ever work with other rappers or Rihanna, and they get nowhere near the airplay on pop stations as they do on hip-hop ones. Then there's rappers like Nicki Minaj or Macklemore or Pitbull who will collaborate with pop musicians on pop songs that have more EDM or pop in them than hip-hop, if there's any at all. Trap, the type of beat that Dark Horse is built around, isn't the main driving force in pop music so much as it is the dominant form of an alternate equally popular type of music that is increasingly separating from pop, and Juicy J is awesome but cannot do features on mainstream tracks because he works best when he's spitting lines like "You say no to ratchet pussy, Juicy J can't," which will never ever ever make it close to radio.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

Yoshifan823 posted:

After hearing Britney's newest song and her spot on Scream and Shout, I've kinda decided she's settling in to her role as the elder stateswoman of pop, like where Madonna was when Britney was first coming up. She's using her lower register a lot more (which I really love), and she's adapting to the times while still sounding like herself. Work Bitch is probably the best she's done since Womanizer at least, and might give Toxic a run for it's money (not really but it's pretty good). I wonder if she'll get tapped to sing the next James Bond song...

(in this analogy, Beyonce is like a more relevant mid-ninties Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake is Bad-era Michael Jackson, and Christina is Paula Abdul)

A Britney Bond theme would be amazing. I bet Lady Gaga does the next one (unless Artpop totally flops and destroys her career).

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

nyquil hangover posted:

A Britney Bond theme would be amazing. I bet Lady Gaga does the next one (unless Artpop totally flops and destroys her career).

Gaga should really have done Skyfall. Her shtick would have fit well with the tone of that film.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
Dark Horse sucks and if Dark Horse and Roar are any representation of what Prism will be, welp, I'm not buying it.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I really hope Britney doesn't turn into a weird yoga grandma like Madge.

Related:

I really hope Work Bitch does well honestly. I can't help but to root for Britney out of some sort of moral obligation to her being the definitive pop princess of my generation. Gaga, Katy, whoever else may write and make better music, but my allegiance will always be to Britney. It's like that Michael Jordan and LeBron James argument Jason Segel has with some kid in Bad Teacher.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm surprised people like Work Bitch so much. It's so generic sounding to me, and there's really no chorus or hook, it's just......talking and a random breakdown. I like Dark Horse, it's something that radio isn't doing much of these days which is refreshing.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I'm not sure I'm sold on the vocals but the production on "work bitch" is loving phenomenal.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Alvarez IV posted:

You have guys like 2 Chainz and ASAP Rocky who only ever work with other rappers or Rihanna, and they get nowhere near the airplay on pop stations as they do on hip-hop ones.

Although 2 Chaniz was on the latest Jason Derulo single.

I too am hoping Work Bitch does well. I'm sure nobody really thought Britney would still be going strong in 2013 but here we are, good luck to her.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

somnambulist posted:

I'm surprised people like Work Bitch so much. It's so generic sounding to me, and there's really no chorus or hook, it's just......talking and a random breakdown.

That second part is exactly what makes it not generic, though.

It's not a good song, but I like it.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
Stans can be so creative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7tCVshTmc

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's a channel on iTunes Radio called "Pure Pop" which has been filling that Top 40 radio niche I've been missing (sans commercials, of course), and most of it has been stuff I've recognized, but as I was coming home from work tonight, I heard two new songs that I have to share with you guys, because they are both amazing.

The first is the greatest tribute to the greatest boy band album ever (that would be No Strings Attached, of course). Apparently this kid is the next Bieber or whatever, but holy gently caress, this sounds like it would have been the biggest hit ever in 2000, and I love it.

This one simply proves that for every 'Nsync, there must be an LFO. Right down to the awful white-boy rapping, and vague cribbing of Stacy's Mom.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I see Katy Perry wants to hop on the trap bandwagon. Although its a bit too late but ah gently caress it pop stars are always late to the bandwagon.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Lorde is fantastic and I'm way too into her music.

Speaking of which, I just heard Royals on a semi-local rock station in Northern Wisconsin. I think that's the definitive sign that she's made it.

e: Although, listening to her always makes me feel bad about my 16 year-old self... what was I doing all those years?

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
If you haven't heard Janelle Monae's new CD, listen to it right now. Goddamn how is she not more popular? She's got catchy fun music and she's a great performer. In a just world, she'd have Katy Perry's success.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

foutre posted:

Speaking of which, I just heard Royals on a semi-local rock station in Northern Wisconsin. I think that's the definitive sign that she's made it.

e: Although, listening to her always makes me feel bad about my 16 year-old self... what was I doing all those years?

Really? I would've thought being #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 was the sign. v:shobon:v Anyway, I totally called it in this thread back in June :smug:

I wonder if it can make it to #1, given that Roar is an awful song, and Wrecking Ball's popularity may be fleeting since the music video was the main force behind its rise to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nyquil hangover posted:

If you haven't heard Janelle Monae's new CD, listen to it right now. Goddamn how is she not more popular? She's got catchy fun music and she's a great performer. In a just world, she'd have Katy Perry's success.

I don't think she's on a major label, so there's only so many resources they can commit to promoting her music.

That being said, I've heard that a lot of Top 40 programme directors are notorious for being pretty reluctant to take chances on uncertain or less well-known acts. My impression is that many of the biggest hits of the past couple of years gained their earliest attention through different media ("We Are Young" had a Superbowl advert, "Somebody That I Used To Know" and "Gangnam Style" had memetic music videos, "Call Me Maybe" didn't start to get attention until Justin Bieber promoted it and parody videos began to emerge, even Adele had the "Rolling In the Deep" video and the BRIT Awards "Someone Like You" performance) and the radio picks them up when they get too big to ignore.

Even then, there's attempts to compromise; I'm pretty sure I heard about an attempt to push a "Top 40 remix" of "Somebody That I Used To Know" which added a fairly generic dance beat underneath the rest of the song, until the original became popular in its own right.

I don't think there should really be any kind of "pop paradigm" though, because one of the most appealing features of pop music is that it's a format with almost unlimited potential diversity.