Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
Probably my favorite alternate universe comic that's ever been put out was Space Punisher

Four issues of absolute balls out insanity. It's basically What If?: The Marvel Universe was Star Wars, with Space Punisher taking on an intergalactic crime syndicate led by Space Dr. Octopus, Space Red Skull, Space Ultron, Space Magneto, and a Space Brood Queen who has bonded with Space Symbiote.

Throughout, Space Punisher fights against Space Hulk,an army of Space Hitlers, Space Jarvis (who is a superpowered robot who protects planet Avengers), the trio of Space Deadpool, Space Sabertooth, and Space The Leader, and it all culminates with Space Punisher using Space Hulk to slaughter the Space Watchers. Throughout this he is accompanied by a robot version of his dead son, and his spaceship's A.I. has the voice and personality of his dead wife. The book is INCREDIBLY huge amounts of fun, does not take itself seriously at all, and each panel is like the cover to a bad 1960's sci-fi pulp. Not least of all, though, the Space Marvel universe that it proposes is actually really interesting, and I personally would LOVE to see it explored more. If you haven't read it yet, do yourself a favor and track it down. Seriously.

Belmont Geoffrion fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Belmont Geoffrion posted:

Probably my favorite alternate universe comic that's ever been put out was Space Punisher

When I saw that cover I thought it was like Punisher becomes Galactus and starts shooting planets which displease him. Also I like how they don't try to come up with some meaningful clever title. Just Space Punisher.

So I've been reading Kingdom Come and Justice and I just a thought. In fifty years will we have a graphic novel with gorgeous painted artwork about the need for grim and gritty 90's style anti-heroes?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Four issues of absolute balls out insanity. It's basically What If?: The Marvel Universe was Star Wars, with Space Punisher taking on an intergalactic crime syndicate led by Space Dr. Octopus, Space Red Skull, Space Ultron, Space Magneto, and Space Magneto, and a Space Brood Queen who has bonded with Space Symbiote.

You've got space Magneto in there twice. But this is comics, so I'm not sure if that's accurate.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm almost certain that when Tom Taylor started writing the Injustice comic, he had a vision in mind and it took him 36 issues to finally get to it. And it is beautiful.

After Superman cripples Batman, he notices that the super pill Green Arrow stole is missing and the Batcomputer finished uploading the pill's ingredients to another location. Superman starts to torture Batman for information until Batman points out, "Hey, you're Superman and you're resorting to torture. gently caress you." Even Superman's taken aback by this realization. Then he turns around and ALFRED KICKS THE LIVING poo poo OUT OF SUPERMAN BECAUSE HE INGESTED THE PILL!

I imagine a meme is going to come out of this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollis posted:

I think what's really interesting is that the future Doom knows must come to pass (Doomworld) happens in 2099. Like Doom is in control of the World, Spider Man works for him and so does the Punisher.

I enjoyed 2099 Spider-Man alot, he had a cool design, interesting character etc.. I dunno I just liked him.

Interestingly, the best 2099 book, Doom 2099, was written by Warren Ellis.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Interestingly, the best 2099 book, Doom 2099, was written by Warren Ellis.

Wasn't that the one where it actually was Doom or someone who thought he was at least?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Wasn't that the one where it actually was Doom or someone who thought he was at least?

Yeah, there's a whole arc with that incredibly convoluted story to deal with the discrepancy of "real Doom or no", something Marvel editors are obsessed with for some reason.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Gavok posted:

I'm almost certain that when Tom Taylor started writing the Injustice comic, he had a vision in mind and it took him 36 issues to finally get to it. And it is beautiful.

After Superman cripples Batman, he notices that the super pill Green Arrow stole is missing and the Batcomputer finished uploading the pill's ingredients to another location. Superman starts to torture Batman for information until Batman points out, "Hey, you're Superman and you're resorting to torture. gently caress you." Even Superman's taken aback by this realization. Then he turns around and ALFRED KICKS THE LIVING poo poo OUT OF SUPERMAN BECAUSE HE INGESTED THE PILL!

I'm always a fan of times when Alfred saves the day.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Didn't the New Universe start as "Realistic world except for this one event which causes super abilities" but mutated into your standard mess of unrelated fantasy and science fiction elements? Also was there anything in the New Universe meant to be an alternate universe version of anything in Marvel?

It was more the opposite. That was supposed to be the idea, but the first group of writers didn't really get the memo (and the books were spread across different editors). After a year, they consolidated the more successful titles under one editor and retconned all the mess stuff back to the same single source, which was the white event.

I was/am a huge fan of the New Universe, and the stuff they did after the consolidation was amazing and ground breaking stuff. I did a long post about Star Brand for the 'failed universes' thread but I don't have archives, otherwise I would repost it.

In a nutshell, the idea of Star Brand as a 'failed green latern' is way off. Star Brand is really one of the first "what if Superman was a dick?" stories. I don't mean a dick like evil, or like superdickery, but just someone who completely fails to use his gifts due to a lack of vision/laziness. It's also funny from a meta perspective, because John Byrne took over the story from Jim Shooter, and since Byrne hated Shooter, and because Star Brand already had some autobiographical resemblances to Shooter, Byrne took the whole thing to another level, which is how Pittsburgh got blown up.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Warren Ellis tried his hands at a New Universe reboot. newuniversal yes no captial letter, it died when his hard drive crashed and took a lot of his scripts with it.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Warren Ellis tried his hands at a New Universe reboot. newuniversal yes no captial letter, it died when his hard drive crashed and took a lot of his scripts with it.

Yeah, I really like the direction he took with it, and there were a couple of one-shots (Gillen did at least one of them) that were really good too. I thought it had potential to be a great series. I was pretty irritated with Ellis's lame excuse.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Seldom Posts posted:

It was more the opposite. That was supposed to be the idea, but the first group of writers didn't really get the memo (and the books were spread across different editors). After a year, they consolidated the more successful titles under one editor and retconned all the mess stuff back to the same single source, which was the white event.

I was/am a huge fan of the New Universe, and the stuff they did after the consolidation was amazing and ground breaking stuff. I did a long post about Star Brand for the 'failed universes' thread but I don't have archives, otherwise I would repost it.

In a nutshell, the idea of Star Brand as a 'failed green latern' is way off. Star Brand is really one of the first "what if Superman was a dick?" stories. I don't mean a dick like evil, or like superdickery, but just someone who completely fails to use his gifts due to a lack of vision/laziness. It's also funny from a meta perspective, because John Byrne took over the story from Jim Shooter, and since Byrne hated Shooter, and because Star Brand already had some autobiographical resemblances to Shooter, Byrne took the whole thing to another level, which is how Pittsburgh got blown up.

Star Brand and DP7 both owned.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Mark Hazzard, Merc was also great because it was basically a Nick Fury war comic and had no superhero stuff whatsoever.

Another thing New Universe tried was having a monthly book cover a month's time. Sort of a comic book version of 24's gimmick. It also bit one of the books in the rear end, as Nightmask ended an issue on a cliffhanger with Keith Ramsen about to finally throw down with his arch nemesis...and then a month later it gets mentioned in one sentence and then they move on.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

And I'm pretty sure that we'll be getting more Injustice later since this ended with a 'End Year One' :dance:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please tell me everyone is referred to as Space Name. Especially the space aliens.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Please tell me everyone is referred to as Space Name. Especially the space aliens.

Space Space Phantom!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
gently caress Yes!!! Injustice 36 was awesome, as has already been said Alfred loving beats down Superman after ingesting the super powers pill , it was loving awesome I really loving hope we get more Injustice, I really want to see where this goes now. I mean Batman has the pill formulae which he will most likely use, hopefully on himself and holy poo poo SUPER ALFRED

Also, the quality of art has improved a lot plus honestly the dialogue and most of what's happening is waaay better than it should be.

Injustice a comic based a video game by Mortal Kombat has not right to be that bad rear end and good but it totally loving is.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 17, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Super Seven, absolutely my all-time favorite Elseworlds. It's a two-parter, with the Adventures of Superman Annual ending on a cliffhanger and being concluded in Superboy Annual. I got the AoS annual in the supermarket (back when supermarkets had comic racks, I miss that) but their selection was spotty at best. They didn't have the Superboy Annual, so I stayed cliff-hangered for years. Undoubtedly that contributed to my being so obsessed with it, but I've re-read it since and it really does hold up. It's a drat good story that takes full advantage of the Elseworlds format giving them the freedom to go big and actually have consequences. I love it.

So, aliens invade Earth. They're a big scary armada who's crushed plenty of much more technologically advanced planets and views Earth as an easy win, so they suffer the fate of all alien invaders trying that poo poo -- they're surprised by the unexpectedly fierce resistance of the superheroes, and the tide turns against them.

And then, because this is an Elseworlds, these aliens turn out to be smart. They issue a decree: Every time a super-powered individual or one in costume is sighted, they'll kill 1000 civilians. Every time that individual so much as raises a fist in anger, they'll kill another 5000. They park a battleship over Coast City and pretty much dare the superheroes to do something about it.

So, of course, they do. Hal leads an attack to reclaim the city, which ultimately succeeds, but not before the aliens prove to be as good as their word. Every last man, woman, and child in Coast City is slaughtered. Whoops.

Turns out Lois Lane snuck into Coast City to report on the fighting. Double whoops.

Public opinion turns on the heroes after that, and lynch mobs kill, cripple, or simply drive off the heroes. Lex Luthor is placed in charge of Earth to rule it for the aliens, because of course he is. A few years later, when the alien leader's on Earth for a ceremony, the human resistance makes an assassination attempt. In a nice touch, their crack squad is made up of Slade Wilson, Dick Grayson, Selina Kyle, Ted Kord, and so on -- none of them wearing their costumes. The attack is an utter debacle. They're slaughtered. Lex turned out to be a member of the resistance and is part of the attempt to kill the aliens lording it over humanity, because of course he is. He's publically executed as an example. The resistance is crushed.

This all happens in the first eight pages. That's the set-up. Humanity is out of heroes, the resistance is defeated, and they've spent years as a drudge race, utterly beaten. And then Jimmy Olsen finds out where Superman's been hiding, and comes to recruit him for the resistance, which is marshalling its forces for one last, desperate attack.

One last Justice League is formed, awesome poo poo happens, and it all ends nowhere near the status quo, but on a world that's interesting and new. I'd still love a sequel.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Matlock posted:

I'm always a fan of times when Alfred saves the day.

Batman vs. Predator had the best.

CapnAndy posted:

The Super Seven

That sounds awesome.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Space Punisher always confused the gently caress out of me.

A rogue group of Watchers are behind everything? Okay...wait, Uatu is one of them? I thought there was only one Uatu? And why were they controlling the universe through a mob?

Also not a fan of the way they forced in the Hulk in issue two. But goddamn was the art wonderful. It looked just like a pulp sci fi magazine.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
I had almost forgotten about Super Seven :) I had the opposite problem, I picked up the Superboy issue first and was rather confused for a couple years. The things that stick out for me the most about the story were Wally's robot legs (he got crippled, but he can still shoot a gun super fast!) and that one intro page with Batman instructing people in hand-to-hand and it shows him punching through a robot-head and saying "AIM FOR THE HEAD!" Great job detective.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

catlord posted:

Batman vs. Predator had the best.

Batman vs. Predator is the best written Batman tale of the 90s.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

holy poo poo SUPER ALFRED

I would buy that DLC yesterday and pay way too much money for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hollis posted:

Injustice a comic based a video game by Mortal Kombat has not right to be that bad rear end and good but it totally loving is.

Indeed. I really hope we get more issues because this poo poo is great and there's so many loose ends to go.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Indeed. I really hope we get more issues because this poo poo is great and there's so many loose ends to go.

Volume 2 has been announced to begin in January! :dance:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Volume 2 has been announced to begin in January! :dance:

Pretend I posted that stupid success kid meme with Batman instead.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Anyone know of any Shazam elseworlds?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Mind Loving Owl posted:

There was that one that was made by the dude behind the Bone books, but I'm not sure if its elseworld or not.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

catlord posted:

That sounds awesome.
It's pretty great. They've never been collected, but if you can ever track 'em down, it's worth it. Art takes a hit in Part II, but oh well.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

There was that one that was made by the dude behind the Bone books, but I'm not sure if its elseworld or not.

The Monster Society Of Evil was more like an Ultimate/All Star thing than an elseworld. Really good though. It also got a ongoing series for a while, The Magic Of Shazam.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mind Loving Owl posted:

There was a Legends of the Dead Earth annual for the Power of Shazam book running at the time, but that's the only one I can recall.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well this is all the back story to Injustice not the actual story in the game if people are wondering. I think the game is 5 years later from this point from what I understand.

Also, you can watch all of the cutscenes put together in a movie on Youtube if you want to see what the end of the story is. Just FYI it's just okay not great, just okay.

Personally, I think it's really cool that we're getting a weekly Elseworlds book basically, plus we're getting some annuals and it's all kind of disconnected from main DC continuity so you get all these weird call backs to pre 52 stuff. Basically the universe is Pre 52 DC. All the events in previous DC continuity happened. Or at least I think that's how it's set up. Although the Flash is Barry Allen I think.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 18, 2013

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Hollis posted:

Personally, I think it's really cool that we're getting a weekly Elseworlds book basically, plus we're getting some annuals and it's all kind of disconnected from main DC continuity so you get all these weird call backs to pre 52 stuff. Basically the universe is Pre 52 DC. All the events in previous DC continuity happened. Or at least I think that's how it's set up. Although the Flash is Barry Allen I think.

It's weird that the only real continuation of pre 52 DC is Injustice. And I'm also surprised that Justice League Episode [b] A Better World [b] hasn't come up with all this Injustice talk. It's a shame there isn't any Shazam elseworlds. A lot you could do with the premise, just of the top of my head:

*What if Billy was an adult when the wizard gave him his powers.
*The standard somebody else gets the powers.
*Captain Marvel in Ancient Greece.
*Some other pantheon of gods.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I just realized that Injustice: Year 2 will likely deal with Batgirl's storyline as revealed in her game ending (Barbara started out as Oracle, but Superman killed James Gordon so she became Batgirl in response), meaning that it'll be the first Barbara Gordon comic I've ever looked forward to reading.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

I just realized that Injustice: Year 2 will likely deal with Batgirl's storyline as revealed in her game ending (Barbara started out as Oracle, but Superman killed James Gordon so she became Batgirl in response), meaning that it'll be the first Barbara Gordon comic I've ever looked forward to reading.

drat. On the one hand, I had no intention of following the Injustice comic further than what I've heard/read online, nor did I have any interest in downloading character DLC for the game, but now my curiosity has gotten the better of me. I'll still probably hold off for GOTY edition of Injustice if I bother, but comic is now on my radar.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It really is pretty decent through out excepting the art , and characters actuall act like themselves. It's not Superman running around being a douchebag to everyone it's just this slow steady slide to being a tyrant. Plus Wonder Woman totally backing his play.

There are some really good stand alone issues too, I just can't understand or figure out why Barry is on Bruce's side my theory is he's working for Batman.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Gavok posted:

Did they fix her spine or give her like an awesome flying, armoured and armed chair?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I'm sure the whole "superpill" comes into play since Batman is recovered from having his back broken so I'm sure they can fix her

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Did they fix her spine or give her like an awesome flying, armoured and armed chair?

There's no broken spine to fix. She hasn't been Batgirl yet. It's just one of the few differences between worlds, such as how Injustice Lex Luthor is actually a swell guy who has been using his resources to keep the heroes' loved ones safe without them knowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Gavok posted:

There's no broken spine to fix. She hasn't been Batgirl yet. It's just one of the few differences between worlds, such as how Injustice Lex Luthor is actually a swell guy who has been using his resources to keep the heroes' loved ones safe without them knowing.

I really need to this, so much effort for a tie in for a mediocre fighting game. I'm guessing the super-pill is the game's explanation for why Batman can beat Superman in a fair fight? Also didn't they fix Barbara's spine in the reboot? Something about South African surgery?

• Locked thread