Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Fix posted:

DAAAAAAAYUUUUUMMMM!

Uhh, holy poo poo. I don't know what that thing is (Warmahordes, I imagine?) but would like to second Fix. Nice work Gareth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
:siren: It's time I drop in my Judgement as well! :siren:

1 Point: Brock Samsonite

I know how much of a pain it can be to paint black well, but you took a unique approach that looks like it'll really pop on the board.

2 Points: Germ

Those custom maggot bases are disgustingly fantastic and work perfectly with your nurgler.

3 Points: Slimnoid

You not only knocked out a bunch of different models this month, you took the time to put a creative touch on almost every single unit. You've got OSL, weathering, water effects and more going on in there.

Bonus Point: Irving Washington

I really love the ancient worn out vibe you worked on this model. Everything is dark, beat up with an faded aged appearance. Not to mention the extra touch the cobwebs add to it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

The Bachtere Clause MkII states "Anyone who receives first or second place from a judge will only be eligible for points for third place the next month. An oather may receive bonus points from more than one judge during a month." So I think he's OK for you to give him first place!

In case anyone's wondering, I've been quietly checking for Bachtere Clause II whenever I enter the monthly judging points. So far, nobody's screwed up! Good job, judges!

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...

Sole.Sushi posted:

Special Cool Kid's Point: Mmmtheblue!

So, there were a ton of models that had a ton of great weathering. I choose yours because, seriously, who else would weather the bottom of a tank? Just you buddy.

Dats where it gets da dirtiest! :pseudo: It makes ruining that Chimera all worthwhile.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Alright, guys and gals! Thread sponsor Games & Gears is launching their website tomorrow, the 18th of September, a month before their general sale opening. You can order tons of stuff directly from their site before anyone else!

Here's all the deets, copied from their Facebook post:

Games & Gears Website Sneak Peak!

This picture is just part of our website main page!

We want to focus on our main section which you can see headlines in the picture

Games & Gears Brushes: Where you can get your innovative hobby brushes made for you and your miniatures and Brush hobby care line.

Legendary Items: This section will be live in December 2013. The title will speak for itself . More info closer to the date

Games & Gears Battle Boards: Will be live after the Games & Gears Battle Board Kickstarter. Servicing our backers and a lot more

Hobby Gears: Leading, innovative products that will enhance your gaming experience. To be live November 2013

G&G Retailers Section: Supporting Local Gaming Stores all around the world. Get the best margins and return in the market available and become a stockist of our are extraordinarily high in demand products.

G&G New Media Section: Our relaunch of new media Section covering the entire industry and a lot more.

*Site Preliminary launch 18th of September 2013

Get your Limited pre order Games & Gears Brush & care line Products on the launch day as we are expecting to sell out very quickly. These are limited numbers per product and will be delivered a month before general world wide release.

All orders over £30.00GBP free tracked delivery world wide.

*Date subject to change at Games & Gears discretion and when site is 100% ready for public consumption.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I, Grey Hunter, Oath one Hive Tyrant by Gamesworkshop.

I've lost a load of time this month, but I've got all of next week off, so I should be good.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Grey Hunter posted:

I've lost a load of time this month, but I've got all of next week off, so I should be good.

Are you gonna paint him up old school-style? Old Tyranids in day-glo colors own so hard.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

SRM posted:

Are you gonna paint him up old school-style? Old Tyranids in day-glo colors own so hard.

This was his old paint scheme, by teenage me.

Currently thinking of doing him a mix of purples (The pots in the shot), with the ridges bone colour. but part of me wants to to redo the old scheme of red blue and white in more "Natural" shades and with some better painting.

I'm really not sure.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

part of me wants to to redo the old scheme of red blue and white in more "Natural" shades and with some better painting.

I'm really not sure.
Just highlight the blue up to white instead and you'll be fine. Do it old-style :colbert:

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

That Hive Tyrant just screams "AMERICA, gently caress YEAH"

Germ
May 7, 2013

So very, very loving cool. The Goblin Green base is just a cherry on top. I wish I had the foresight to preserve photographs of my early painting.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Dog Warrior from Corvus Beli (Infinity) 5 Fantasy Football Zombies from Impact! Miniatures (28mm scale minis) and 1 Devilman from Reaper Miniatures(28mm scale):siren:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 17, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Grey Hunter posted:

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Dog Warrior from Corvus Beli (Infinity) 5 Fantasy Football Zombies from Impact! Miniatures (28mm scale minis) and 1 Devilman from Reaper Miniatures(28mm scale):siren:

Accepted

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I Mr.Booger, Oath 1 Vickers Medium Machine Gun and crew (British) for Septermber
28mm - Bolt Action (Warlord Games)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Leperflesh posted:

I think that would be a good idea! Show off your figure for the judges. Edit it into your Oath Complete post, and I'll give you the points now.

e. Oh yeah, and since it's 6 figures that's a Themed Group, too.

Edited my original post with a pic of the backs. Thanks!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I finally got some inspiration and did up the Kharnov in Gulf War 1 Desert camo, then sort of lost momentum.

I still have two mechs to do, and i got 300 punched 30mm x 0.55mm disks from a sheet metal place. Now i feel like putting a shitload of trees and terrain markers on these bases.

Still got half a month. I've gotta get some inspiration.

My Osteon is now flat black. I was thinking fluro green or red edging. I dont know.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Germ posted:

So very, very loving cool. The Goblin Green base is just a cherry on top. I wish I had the foresight to preserve photographs of my early painting.

HEY! Goblin Green bases were the height of fashion back when I painted him! Every model in White Dwarf had a goblin green base.

Also, I think I'm going to recreate the old scheme in less garish colours.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 18, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

HEY! Goblin Green bases were the height of fashion back when I painted him! Every model in White Dwarf had a goblin green base.

Also, I think I'm going to recreate the old scheme in less garish colours.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I was right there with you! Looking forward to seeing the update.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is Graveyard Earth going to be the laughable Goblin Green 10 years from now?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Whoa man :aaa:

Edit: Lucky for me I paint black rims. Classic. Timeless.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Who the gently caress doesn't use mimetic paint on bases? I mean, what if you have your bases grassy, and want to play on a desert table, or arctic, or urban? That'll clash right there.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Graveyard Earth is soooo 4th edition. It's all about Rhinox Hide/dark brown bases now.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
or Vallejo Beasty Brown!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

SRM posted:

Graveyard Earth is soooo 4th edition. It's all about Rhinox Hide/dark brown bases now.

Hipster cred: I was using SCORCHED BROWN (heh you kids and your Rhinox Hide) before it was cool :smaug:

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
With the release of the new codex, I'm starting a new Space Marine army. I'm genuinely thinking about getting new models, and then doing traditional ultramarines with old school goblin green bases. I shall call them Hipster Marines

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I, Deanut Pancer, oath 3x GW Ork Deffkoptas:

(The yellow stuff is blu-tac I'm using to mask some bits for glueing, and the green stuff is... greenstuff)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Deanut Pancer posted:

I, Deanut Pancer, oath 3x GW Ork Deffkoptas:

(The yellow stuff is blu-tac I'm using to mask some bits for glueing, and the green stuff is... greenstuff)

It all just looks red :v:

Accepted

:siren: ATTENTION SLIMNOID :siren:

YOU are the winner of the first Oather's Choice Prize: 40K Blood Angel Captain Games Day 2012 Finecast miniature donated by goon Vondizimo!

With 9 votes you edged out Irving Washington by 2 votes, taking the clear win.

Get in touch with me: krushgroove169 at gmail!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Hipster cred: I was using SCORCHED BROWN (heh you kids and your Rhinox Hide) before it was cool :smaug:

I used up all mine and had to switch to Rhinox Hide with my Valhallans :v: Was out of the old stubby hexagonal pot too.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

All the cool kids keep their base rims black :cool:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr.Booger, on this page.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mr.Booger posted:

I Mr.Booger, Oath 1 Vickers Medium Machine Gun and crew (British) for Septermber
28mm - Bolt Action (Warlord Games)

Sorry I missed this. The date on that is super fuzzy, try to get it in focus next time (a couple of pictures are fine)...

...but it's just about readable enough. Accepted

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
:gifttank:Judgement!:gifttank:

3rd Place, 1 Point: Matgash

Normally your paint jobs look clean enough to eat off of, the transition into well worn griminess is awesome. Great from top to bottom, love the extreme close ups so we could see your colors and placement. Lenses are top notch.

2nd Place, 2 Points: Slimnoid

Those bases on the space marines look so good. They look like they've been walked on, for decades. They work great with the miniatures themselves, perfect match in tone. I always like to see brown skinned space marines, dude with the chain sword looks bad rear end.

1st Place, 3 Points: Red Shoe

"Those drat water bases of yours are ridiculous." - Fix They really are. All of your bases kick rear end month after month, but those especially. The gunners are sweet, smooth paint jobs, multi-colored bases complement the blue of the coats perfectly.

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, Weathering, 1 Point: Iris of Ether

The overall weathering on the figure is effective. I dig the bleeding of the rust into the ground around the various bits of junk on the ground, that really popped out at me.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A neutral brown like Graveyard Earth is the best for base rims because it wont clash with the model, wont clash with the base, and wont clash with the table. And it looks like the model is standing on a cutaway of the ground. Black looks unpainted in a bad way.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, Oath this Reaper Bones Frost Giantess for September
I think all the Bones are 28mm-ish, but she's a giantess, so who knows?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Bachtere posted:

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, Weathering, 1 Point: Iris of Ether

The overall weathering on the figure is effective. I dig the bleeding of the rust into the ground around the various bits of junk on the ground, that really popped out at me.

:neckbeard: Thanks!

I admit I was concerned about being more precise with the drybrushing until I realized that real iron bits would be flaking and dripping oxide everywhere.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Woot! All the judgements are in, so we'll be seeeing soon where the leaderboard stands :)

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, Oath this Reaper Bones Frost Giantess for September
I think all the Bones are 28mm-ish, but she's a giantess, so who knows?

Accepted

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

:siren: I TarDolphinorShark oath this Reaper Bones Goblin for the month of September :siren:

I finally got most of my stuff unpacked from a recent move. Time to paint!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

TarDolphinorShark posted:

:siren: I TarDolphinorShark oath this Reaper Bones Goblin for the month of September :siren:

Accepted

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Woot! All the judgements are in, so we'll be seeeing soon where the leaderboard stands :)

Yes!

Well, by nearly sweeping the judges (a 2nd place and two 1s places) in August, Slimnoid has established a significant lead on the leaderboard with 61 points! Red Shoe is 2nd with 56, Germ has 54 in third place, and moths and Iris of Ether are tied at fourth place with 50 each. IrvingWashington has sixth place with 49, and then there's a four-way tie for seventh place between Pash, Android, Achmed Jones, and Booley to round out the top ten!

Note though that there's 37 more goons who have at least 40 points, so the above have by no means run away with things.

Also note that these are the scores as of August, including August judging and excluding September oaths, but not excluding any One-Time Bonus points a few goons have already earned during September. They also do not include the "consistency" points you get for consistently finishing oaths; we've had four full months of Oathing so many of you have, technically, already earned a point for that.

And of course, Slimnoid having secured first and second place wins across the board will be affected by the Bachtere Clause II, so those judging points are up for grabs for September (Slimnoid can still get third place and/or the theme point if he does a great job, but that's it).

Also! Don't despair if you're not even close to the top: while the top ten are in the running for some fabulous grand prizes, there are also a bunch of prizes to go out that don't depend on points! We've got our monthly drawings (just finish an oath and you can win!), our quarterly drawings (just finish three oaths in a row, with the monthly Detektuv's Jurnals, and you can win!), various themed prizes (why not try painting a Corvus Belli miniature next month?), and more.

Want to push up your points totals anyway? Don't forget you can get 2 points for doing a Diorama (only two goons have done that so far), and 1 point for doing a Display Board (again only two of those so far). There's a bunch of one-time bonus themes you can do for a point each, too. Some of the ones the fewest goons have done, are the easiest to do, too, like Strike A Pose and In Battle. Back Story is another bonus that only takes a little time and creativity; just write up a couple paragraphs of colorful fiction about your models when you have some spare time, and you can get a point. Why not? It's fun.

We're practically swimming in awesome prizes to give away, more than ever before, thanks to our generous sponsors. And of course, finishing an Oath is always its own reward, so even if you never win a prize, you'll be satisfied by completing a bunch of your naked models. So get painting, goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Well, in that case, I will claim the Strike a Pose one-time bonus!

"I don't know, she looks sick" said Arl. "No no my friend, that is just her breed," countered the merchant. "She is a fine cow, but for you, I will offer her half price. Only five pieces of gold. And remember, she is a milker, not a beef cow. She will provide milk for your children, cheese for your wife, and butter for you. This is not a purchase, but an investment!"

Arl looked into the cow's eyes. The were brown and round and dumb. The farmer saw himself in that cow's eyes - he saw the years of meaningless toil, scraping a meager existence from the barren earth. He saw his children's hunger when the winter freeze outlasted the grain in the silo. He fingered the eight gold in his purse, his life savings, and thought about Francis. Arl's brother had set sail for Marqash a year ago, and hadn't been heard from since. That eight gold could buy his family passage south, away from the bitter winters and infertile soil. If Francis was established, they could even work together, and if not - well, anything was better than farming the frozen Northlands. "Keep your cow," Arl said at little more than a whisper. "We're heading south."

I edited my Oath Complete post to include this information as well.

• Locked thread