Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Verizon is possibly refusing to activate LTE on the new Nexus 7 and customer service is taking shots at Google. I don't want to believe they're this stubborn and stupid, but if anyone's going to pull this crap it's Verizon!

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/9/17/4741568/verizon-reportedly-wont-activate-nexus-7-on-its-network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

FistEnergy posted:

Verizon is possibly refusing to activate LTE on the new Nexus 7 and customer service is taking shots at Google. I don't want to believe they're this stubborn and stupid, but if anyone's going to pull this crap it's Verizon!

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/9/17/4741568/verizon-reportedly-wont-activate-nexus-7-on-its-network
Verizon's already tried to fight the open devices clause in court once and withdrew. Maybe we'll get to see if the FCC can actually be useful.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

fondue posted:

I own a TF201 ... when I got it I was very happy with it, in particular after the update which upgraded the entire OS. Compared now to my phone it seems pretty slow and unresponsive, though I still use it for everything I bought it for; browsing recipes, reading the SA and other forums, playing games. I do wish it was faster and more responsive but come January I'll have had it for two years and felt I got my moneys worth. Then I'll buy another 10" Android tablet.

I feel the same way, except I'm so hopelessly addicted to the keyboard dock I don't even want to consider another tablet without one. I wish ASUS would come out with a new android Transformer. I hate ASUS and their support, but god I need that sweet sweet keyboard dock.

On that note... anyone with a TF201 installed a custom ROM did that fix the responsiveness? I won't even open firefox anymore on mine it just shits things up so bad now; I splashtop into my old netbook to do any actual web surfing and it keeps things nice and snappy on the tablet.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Does anybody have any recommendations for Galaxy Note 8.0 covers? I feel like I need one.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

SeaWolf posted:

I feel the same way, except I'm so hopelessly addicted to the keyboard dock I don't even want to consider another tablet without one. I wish ASUS would come out with a new android Transformer. I hate ASUS and their support, but god I need that sweet sweet keyboard dock.
I got a lot of utility out of the keyboard dock the first year; I used it as a keyboard as well as battery backup while I volunteered on the local sports team. Once I was done with that I seldom docked the tablet though, it was just cumbersome. I liked that it was an option though as on a few long trips the keyboard could recharge the tablet so one kid could play games while the other used mom's phone.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Some anecdotal evidence, but both mine and my girlfriends aunts Portenzo cases fell apart after ~ 6 months of use.

Was it an Alano? If so my whole motivation for getting a 7/'13 just disintegrated. Was it in good condition when it arrived?

RhoanAegis
Dec 2, 2007

Repelex posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for Galaxy Note 8.0 covers? I feel like I need one.

It wasn't made by this same company, but I got something like this one. I've been really happy with it considering how cheap it is price wise. It's got little grooves on the inside of the cover that hold the device in landscape mode for watching video acting as a stand. The S-Pen is accessible. I can't tell from the amazon photos of the one I linked, but mine also had a little stretchy strap that is used to keep it shut.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Nvidia's makin' tablets.
It's a 7" 1280x800 and has some kind of special stylus capabilities that puts it somewhere in-between a normal capacitive screen and one with an inductive layer. It's still capacitive, though. $200 target.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

People with Transformers all killed themselves at this point.

Edit: Or bought iPads.

This is very true. I have replaced my tf201 with a nexus 10 yesterday and oh boy what difference does it make when the device in your hands is not an unusable laggy piece of loving trash.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

SeaWolf posted:

On that note... anyone with a TF201 installed a custom ROM did that fix the responsiveness? I won't even open firefox anymore on mine it just shits things up so bad now; I splashtop into my old netbook to do any actual web surfing and it keeps things nice and snappy on the tablet.

The bottleneck is the terribly slow internal NAND, so it can't be really fixed in software. That said, when I unlocked mine and installed androwook on it it became marginally less terrible. Still terrible, though, trying to use it after my phone or nexus7 just made me sad.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Daimo posted:

Was it an Alano? If so my whole motivation for getting a 7/'13 just disintegrated. Was it in good condition when it arrived?

Mine was the Alano, and hers was the Composition notebook style. They both fell apart in the same exact ways, right around the same time. I was extremely disappointed.

Yes, they were in excellent condition when they arrived. I would say it lasted fine for ~ 3 months, and then rapidly began to fail. I gave up on it around the end of May as the wooden sides fell apart. (I got it as a Christmas present from my girlfriend).

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Any recommendations for a minimalist N7 2013 case that can act as a stand? I won't be travelling with it much so I don't want it to be ironclad but want something I can prop it up with for cooking and what not.

Looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKA1IYU/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

vvvvv Thanks a lot! Just purchased this one, looks a bit nicer and more simplistic.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 18, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hot Jam posted:

Any recommendations for a minimalist N7 2013 case that can act as a stand? I won't be travelling with it much so I don't want it to be ironclad but want something I can prop it up with for cooking and what not.

Looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKA1IYU/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

The poetic slimline case is pretty good, and -if its the same general design as the 2012 case- unlike the MoKo, has no segments that wrap around to the front of the tablet, which makes it compatible with all screen protectors and generally looks better.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'll also say Poetic has really good customer service. They slightly changed the design of the Slimline (removed one of the magnets on the clasp to make it easier to open and made it easier to remove from the case if you want to), and I got a revised one in the mail for free today. Didn't ask for it, didn't pay for it, just got it out of nowhere because I had the old design and they think the new design is better. Can't argue with that.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I got a Nexus 7 today. I really like it so far, but I'm keeping the option of returning it open, since last week, I purchased a ThinkPad and returned it this Monday because I didn't feel like I could use it much.

But that's not what I'm posting here about. If I decide to keep it (it's looking likely so far), what high quality cases would you guys recommend? I ask you guys because the XDA forum for accessories is a mess and if it's anything like the HTC One's accessory forum, it's going to be full of people using condom-thin cases that don't protect from anything, or saying their low quality case from Hong Kong is great.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Seconding changing the thread name to Android Tablet (2013 nexus 7 case recommendation) Thread

On that note, my new Poetic slimline case has 2 magnets and it opens and closes fine. Will report if it falls apart like the nexus 4 case I got from them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SirSigma posted:

I got a Nexus 7 today. I really like it so far, but I'm keeping the option of returning it open, since last week, I purchased a ThinkPad and returned it this Monday because I didn't feel like I could use it much.

But that's not what I'm posting here about. If I decide to keep it (it's looking likely so far), what high quality cases would you guys recommend? I ask you guys because the XDA forum for accessories is a mess and if it's anything like the HTC One's accessory forum, it's going to be full of people using condom-thin cases that don't protect from anything, or saying their low quality case from Hong Kong is great.

I've got nothing but good things to say about the rooCase Executive. It feels really 'drop friendly.' The only negative is that I'm a bit loathe to keep the tablet *on* when I have it zipped up completely, and leave a vent hole open in the bottom by not zippering the case fully closed. It also makes it look like a personal organizer or journal instead of a tablet.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
My Nexus 7 likes to restart on its own but only when I'm not using it. No idea what's up.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

People with Transformers all killed themselves at this point.

Edit: Or bought iPads.
Me and my OG TF101 are still quite happy together.

I mean, it's really slow and occasionally reboots randomly. And some apps just don't play well with it (AndChat, for instance).

We're like an old married couple. It was blissful harmony when I got it, but now I just shake my cane and ask when it's going to finally open that .pdf file, and it says "WHAT?" while cupping a hand to its ear.

SeaWolf posted:

This. Except this time don't disable the USB ports when the tablet screen is turned off (like when it's closed) so that we can charge a phone without interruption.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SirSigma posted:

I have a Poetic slimline case in black for the Nexus 7 2013, I got it when I was planning on buying the tablet, but I ended up getting a laptop instead, so I don't need the tablet. If anyone wants the case I'll dump it for just a few bucks. Maybe 10 bucks to cover shipping and get me a cup of coffee? I think that's a less than amazon charges. I never even opened it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a Poetic slimline case in black for the Nexus 7 2013, I got it when I was planning on buying the tablet, but I ended up getting a laptop instead, so I don't need the tablet. If anyone wants the case I'll dump it for just a few bucks. Maybe 10 bucks to cover shipping and get me a cup of coffee? I think that's a less than amazon charges. I never even opened it.
Dibs.

e: this one, right?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Bobcats posted:

My Nexus 7 likes to restart on its own but only when I'm not using it. No idea what's up.

My 2013 does this and I'd be more worried about it if I wasn't already RMA'ing it for a distorted speaker.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Yours. I've moved on from flipping phones to flipping case.

I also have that same case for the Nexus 10 in white, if anyone wants it. I used it a lot though, so it's a little beat up. I also peeled off the lettering it just says "Poe" now, that seemed funny to me for some reason.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bobcats posted:

My GNex does this and along with older issues I had (rebooting when trying to write a file) I'm highly suspicious that it has something to do with the TRIM functionality that's supposed to run when it's been idle for a while

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a bug in Chrome Beta right now causing reboots if either of you use that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

There's a bug in Chrome Beta right now causing reboots if either of you use that.

Oh... well, gently caress.

Edit: Link?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh... well, gently caress.

Edit: Link?

If you mean a link to the bug:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=287260

Google said they're looking into it. They'll probably have a fix in the next Beta update.

I've switched to normal Chrome on my Nexus 4 and things are better now.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Facebook stop raping my battery! Facebook will use like 70% of my battery if my N7 is just sitting idle. Normal?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Absolutely normal.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Tunga posted:

More accurately it's a bug in Android 4.3 which Chrome Beta just happens to be triggering. The Chrome team have filed a bug on the internal Android bug tracker: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=286378#c14

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you mean a link to the bug:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=287260

Google said they're looking into it. They'll probably have a fix in the next Beta update.

I've switched to normal Chrome on my Nexus 4 and things are better now.

Until the Android team/Qualcomm fixes the underlying problem the best the Chrome team can do is a temporary workaround for 4.3. Doesn't really make sense to roll back advancements in Mobile Chrome just because Android itself is broken.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

SB35 posted:

Facebook stop raping my battery! Facebook will use like 70% of my battery if my N7 is just sitting idle. Normal?

The Facebook app has the ignominious distinction of being awful on Android AND iOS, it's really quite an achievement for a company that went as far as selling their own branded Android device with a Facebook-themed launcher.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

Sure don't, I value my battery life :eyepop:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Chome Beta has had zero effect on my battery life and it's easily my most used app. The reboot thing is disheartening.

e: vvvvv not that I've experienced.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Is the beta using a lot more battery life too or something? As the stable version doesn't cause any particularly noticeable drain.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

Sure don't, I value my battery life :eyepop:
I have no idea what this is in reference to.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

I have no idea what this is in reference to.

Chrome (beta or not) is a huge battery and memory hog on my GNex. It renders nice but I ain't getting my potential 6 hours of browsing with that sucker

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

baka kaba posted:

...GNex...
...potential 6 hours of browsing...

Oh this is just adorable, especially if you have the Verizon version.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I've noticed that I can get a new Nexus 10 from Amazon for $355 shipped now, and they are popping up on Swappa at under $300. Is it dumb to buy one at this juncture if I don't absolutely need it (i.e., is a referesh due soon)?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

I've noticed that I can get a new Nexus 10 from Amazon for $355 shipped now, and they are popping up on Swappa at under $300. Is it dumb to buy one at this juncture if I don't absolutely need it (i.e., is a referesh due soon)?

There's rumors of a new Asus Nexus 10, nothing solid yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

plester1 posted:

There's rumors of a new Asus Nexus 10, nothing solid yet though.

The only thing that's not a rumor is that Sundar Pichai DID confirm a new Nexus 10 back in July.

The reason why the ASUS Nexus 10 holds water is because the person who has announced it has been right about two other things so far and he's a rather trustworthy guy to boot so people tend to listen when he says something.

I'd say, still, take it with a grain of salt that it's ASUS until we get more information, but take to heart that we WILL recieve a new Nexus 10 as it's only obvious within Google's "refresh the Nexus line each year" thing.