Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

no troi gets violated the most by far

god drat space was not kind to that woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

haveblue posted:

someone said earlier that enterprise was supposed to be the story of the creation of earth's first major starship and that they weren't even supposed to have launched the thing until well into the story

then they got overruled and forced to make a show that was the same as all the other treks except with "shields" changed to "hull plating" and a sexy vulcan

Brannon Braga said that the plan was the first plan Berman came up with was that, it's in the comments section.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Brannon braga is the worst

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Yo dudes, book recommendation: 2312

It owns

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
KSR owns, that ones been on my list for awhile

gotta get done with school before I do any more serious reading

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3016899/all-80-original-star-trek-episodes-rendered-as-movie-posters

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 18, 2013

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
write sci fi about how your starfleet captain has sex with alien babes

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

right i was saying farscape is already like the thing i said i wanted

scrap that though i like this new idea about a civilization on the verge of ftl

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

stoutfish posted:

write sci fi about how your starfleet captain has sex with alien babies

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

duTrieux. posted:

is this why we got that "die hard in space" episode where it's just picard and some terror-thieves on an empty ship?

hahah was that the one where he had to go back to get his saddle

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

if the transporter kills the person being transported and creates an exact duplicate at the destination, how does that account for Kirk talking through being transported in Star Trek six the undiscovered country

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

I think the same thing happened in one of the other TOS movies

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dur posted:

hahah was that the one where he had to go back to get his saddle

yes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dur posted:

if the transporter kills the person being transported and creates an exact duplicate at the destination, how does that account for Kirk talking through being transported in Star Trek six the undiscovered country

the clone has his memories down to the last byte or whatever of data and is physically accurate down to the last atom and the tension state of his muscles, it would come out of the transporter thinking and posed like it was in the middle of saying the same sentence the original was

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
trek tech is inconsistent? say it ain't so, gene

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

finally the first launch is sabotaged by extremists who think were going to pull GALACTIC DOOM down on our heads if we meet aliens

stolen page by page from contact, too

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

didn't geordi once explain to some dude on a genetic purity planet that you aren't being rebuilt, it's still the same atoms and poo poo? (before he saved the day and was all "a blind man saved you I WOULDn"T HAVE EXISTED IN YOUR SOCIEYT

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dur posted:

it's a "fun" bit of philsophical masturbation that assumes that any break in consciousness is equivalent to death

it's one of those things that is meant to make the person that won't shut up about it sound really smart, but instead just makes them an insufferable jackass

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's pretty much a half-step above trying to argue that every single character is massively delusional because FTL is literally impossible

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
the trek transporters don't just cause a "break in consciousness", they literally destroy the person and rebuild a duplicate from the original component atoms somewhere else

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

yes, trap sprung, but really how the hell is that not death

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it doesn't even cause a break in consciousness, remember the episode where barclay is all scared of being torn apart at the atomic level and sees the weird floating worm things in the transporter beam that turn out to be people

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Stymie posted:

it doesn't even cause a break in consciousness, remember the episode where barclay is all scared of being torn apart at the atomic level and sees the weird floating worm things in the transporter beam that turn out to be people

wat

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
thank god it's probably not actually possible otherwise it might be a worthwhile philosophical question

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

those worm things are some all time bad scifi special effects

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realm_of_Fear

it was also a clever riff on the fact that murdoch is now the one that's scared of flying/transporting

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Al! posted:

those worm things are some all time bad scifi special effects

yeah, they looked like a poo poo artist's impression of an amoeba

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Stymie posted:

it was also a clever riff on the fact that murdoch is now the one that's scared of flying/transporting

Crusher has to surreptitiously sedate Worf before any Transporter beaming

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

your consciousness is the pattern of atoms, not the atoms themselves, hth.

transporters don't kill you any more than eating and excreting does.

it's philosophy 101 ship-of-theseus thought-wankery applied to a non-quantifiable concept of "self"

basically if you want to argue that teleportation = death then you logically have to also believe in a non-physical soul so yeah

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Crusher has to surreptitiously sedate Worf before any Transporter beaming

lol

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

"transporters actually kill you" is right up there with "human brains are non-turing-computable" as far as horseshit is concerned

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

stoutfish posted:

write sci fi about how your starfleet captain has sex with alien babes

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ol qwerty bastard posted:

"transporters actually kill you" is right up there with "human brains are non-turing-computable" as far as horseshit is concerned

lol you really are a transhumanist :allears:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

your consciousness is the pattern of atoms, not the atoms themselves, hth.

well then it's kind of a problem that the pattern gets completely disrupted while those atoms are getting shuttled around, isn't it

that's the whole point, trek transporters actually disassemble the body, record the pattern, shove the component atoms through bullshit-space, and reassembles them at the other end using the stored pattern. there's a period there where your atoms are just a disassociated mass of raw materials

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

okay well you're dead while you're being transported but then afterwards you are alive again

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

okay well you're dead while you're being transported but then afterwards you are alive again

so, theoretically, if the pattern is the important thing (which is what you said earlier), the transporter could then use the pattern twice with two different sets of raw materials and reassemble two people instead of just one

now which one of them is the original consciousness, and which is just a copy that thinks it's the original?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stymie posted:

oh my god

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

haveblue posted:

the clone has his memories down to the last byte or whatever of data and is physically accurate down to the last atom and the tension state of his muscles, it would come out of the transporter thinking and posed like it was in the middle of saying the same sentence the original was

to be fair the way transporters work is they copy the person and then destroy the original at the source

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Heresiarch posted:

yes, trap sprung, but really how the hell is that not death

if a transporter rebuilds your body out of atoms different from the ones in your body before beaming then it replaces all the atoms in a few seconds but in one to two weeks ~60-75% of the atoms in you today will be gone and in 10-15 years maybe all of the atoms in your body will be replaced so why would one bother you but not the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
w/r/t command staff beaming 2 a planet i rly l;iked when picard went to the swamp planet to gently caress around and got almost kiled by a space poison ivy monster that put like an invisible snake inside him or something. that was pretty cool.

also, that ep w/ the invisible spiders that sucked out ur brainwaves or whatever was [pretty fraaky. dr crusher made that cool light and shined it on some dude and there was a shadow spider bug on him and it was shociking. space is hosed up and full of crazy poo poo

also that time when worf raped? idk but definately bit troi and then turned into a monster. hahah and she turned into a fish

• Locked thread