Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Preorder discount was 27ish. Current price should be steady, excepting sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I'm just hoping it will appear on steam. Since they already got 3 up there I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

ZLogic posted:

Get out of my swamp!

:ducksiren::getin: to my Dominions Four :ducksiren:

As soon as I saw this, I knew my Ally in TestPantheon was in trouble.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I just spent some time playing around with the AI. It's been a while since I played Dominions 3, but I still remember enough to get around. I think I'll ease my friends into this with the promise of real team play. Heck, we did it to a limited degree with 3, but now there's a little bit more support for it. I'm really happy to see this coming out, the tiny improvements really add up.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
So what do you guys think of Ur?

They have some pretty decent sacred mages, varied paths but pretty much no Death/Astral/Blood which were the powerhouses in Dom3. I thought an Earth bless might be good for them but the sacred troops are cap only and not really top tier sacreds and Sirrushes really doen't look like they're worth the StR and 200 gold. You can expand quickly with the bless but I think you'd have issues mid and lategame.

Seems like a scales build with 5 air for boosters/precision on your mages, maybe a minor earth bless and then a bit of astral or death to add diversity is the way to go, but I was never that good at Dom3 so maybe not. I'm also really not sure what research to go for first. Evo has some good stuff but you need conjuration first for earthpower/stormpower. They don't really have any thugs but some alteration might be nice for troop buffs.

For troops I've been going for the spear guys since everyone is saying repel is super strong, but the hatchet ones have more attack and damage, might be good to have a mix. They also have range 40 archers but they're hard to mass since you can't get them at forts. Makes a Production scale pretty useful.

They're basically Where the Wild Things Are the nation. Which is awesome.

I've also been playing around with the new Carrion Woods but I'm running in to similar problems with Pretender builds. A W9 bless on the Black Centaurs tears up indies, but you're really starved for diversity. The normal Centaur Troops are pretty strong but pricey so scales seem to be a good way to go again. You don't really need an SC but rainbows are boring so I'm never sure what to build.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

TheDemon posted:

Darkness is different, though. Cave Darkness and Solar Eclipse is -3 att def prec. Darkness spell is -6. Neither is as good as Darkness was in Dom3.

I'm surprised they didn't change DV to work like the other resistances, in this case. I feel like this makes more sense, since elite troops were more shafted by darkness than line troops. It'd be nice if the Eclipse/Cave penalty were higher, but you make do with what you've got.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I like how LA Agartha's Reanimators give a resource bonus. No rest for the dead, only sweatshops for toy crafting and MMO farming :whip:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
For Ur:

The Sirrush isn't that bad, really. 100g a turn is actually a small price for a unit that's very useful in the midgame. Your mages have really drat good buff paths for them in the midgame. That said the Sirrush isn't an early-game unit. It's spell bait in the midgame and counters to specific things like elephants.

The giant sacreds aren't terrible but I can't see basing a strategy around them, given that they're cap-only and outclassed by most other sacreds of their type stat-wise. That said, you have really good potential for N9 + shrouds on your mages, some of which have great buff paths and other abilities like Stealth. If you don't go this route, you need a regen item which costs a lot more. I wouldn't build the cap sacreds unless I was gold starved and had extra resources even with a bless.

Entu and Ensei are way too expensive for their hitpoints, paths, stats, etc. That said you want them anyway once they're affordable, but I wouldn't bother prioritizing affording them going early. Water Bracelet is an extremely key item for Falling Frost and Freezing Mists. The Gudu reminds me of Hinnom's research mage in that both A2 and E2 are quite handy in battle. The A2 can self bless & mistform, another synergy with N9, but 9 morale on a thug is questionable. Even so, I'd keep that as an option.

All your giant troops are fantastically cheap for size 3. Compare with Hinnoms which are 28 to 30 gold. I think the insanely low prices on your size 3 giants is the nation's main strength.

You have stealth giants in swamps (and D mages). This is great. 17g Long Bow archers everywhere nonfort are actually fairly good, and I do not agree that they're hard to mass because they are res-cheap. Enkidu Shaman are ok utility mages and they are not bad at research effectiveness even if they're not very efficient. As far as troops go, I would actually use the Hatchets as they are +2 attack score up on most of your other giants. Repel has been changed in the unreleased next version to add unit size, so you won't be at much of a disadvantage. And your swamp hatchet troops are also good because berserk, but you'll still need shields from your forts.

You have late-age equivalent forts. I can't see this as much of an advantage as they're still only 25 and 30 admin but are more expensive and longer to construct.

Ur's battlemagic isn't very strong, but nations with size 3 giants don't need that. What they do need is good buffing to make their troops more effective in the midgame, and Ur has that in spades. I think the nation is quite good early and mid, and if they fall off late that's acceptable because you can sitesearch everything but fire, astral and blood with national mages and go for a D endgame built off of the pretender.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 17, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Still waiting on one jerk for the EZDomEZGod game

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Considering I was playing a blood nation, I would've thought this increases dominion.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

amuayse posted:

Considering I was playing a blood nation, I would've thought this increases dominion.

Only virgins can be blood slaves, girls being promiscuous out in the woods is bad for business.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE
Perhaps your citizens reasoned: if you can't capture these singing, naked girls then how will you handle silent, armored warriors?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Blisster posted:

So what do you guys think of Ur?
Really nicely balanced nation, unlike the bullshit fest that is Berytos.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
The N9 bless makes sense for the Sirrush but not sure about the mages. Sure they're giants, but their stats aren't amazing and they don't really have many special abilities for thugging. They seem like they'd be better for support from the backline and E9 bless would be better for that. The troops are definitely good value.

Gonna agree that the Gudu definitely seems like the bread and butter mage for Ur. My thoughts would be that with earth power or storm power and an E bless you could spam blade wind and thunderstrike pretty well. Then your more expensive mages do a bunch of buffing. Of course the only nation I have a lot of experience with is Dom3 Abysia so blowing stuff up (and summoning demons) is just my go-to strategy.

One fun thing about Ur is that if you don't have your Entu and Ensi at the capitol on the new year for their fertility ritual it's seen as a bad omen and you start getting hit with unrest, misfortune and famines. Caught me by surprise in my first test game. It's a pretty nice touch.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
More screenshots of super large monsters and new pretenders please. It's been a long time since I last played Dominions 3 and I had no idea that 4 was in development, really looking forward to this.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

jBrereton posted:

Really nicely balanced nation, unlike the bullshit fest that is Berytos.

What is wrong with Barytos?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What do you guys think of the new 'Raid' command for commanders with pillage bonuses? You can raid adjacent provinces and get their gold and kill their pop without having a battle.
Shift-Click btw.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 17, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

WYA posted:

They have basically everything, so long as they're near the coast.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It has too much stuff AND a gold income steroid for coastal provinces (which include their cap). You can see 600+ gold income first turn. I think the units are fine, kind of along the lines of Hinnom-fine, but the mages are Bogarus-quality or old-LA-Marignon-quality and the income boost kind of puts the nation over the top. That said if the income bonus is toned it's not like the nation doesn't have exploitable weaknesses, notably a MA/LA style human troop roster in EA.

New sailing is also powerful but that's a different discussion really.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
One weakness of Berytos is that the mages that are good are StR and need to be on the coast. All the rest are week.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

amuayse posted:

One weakness of Berytos is that the mages that are good are StR and need to be on the coast. All the rest are week.

Same as any nation really

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

amuayse posted:

160g B1 are good for blood hunting, I think. The E1?AW are poo poo thought, I dont think their is anything you can use them for. Basicly their power depends on start and map.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

And this is in an age where pretty much all the EA nations have had their good noncaps stripped or never had any in the first place, AND you are guaranteed a coastal start so you WILL have coastal provinces.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

TheDemon posted:

And this is in an age where pretty much all the EA nations have had their good noncaps stripped or never had any in the first place, AND you are guaranteed a coastal start so you WILL have coastal provinces.

I still weep for old Marveni druids. Making them StR makes sense, but why make them cap-only aswell?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

WYA posted:

They have access to almost every kind of Titanic pretender you'd like to choose to make up the two and a half deficiencies they have in terms of magic (nature, death and Astral, ish), and they can get 676 gold on turn one on their capital with full income scales, due to their 25% coastal income bonus.

Mage-wise, they have access to almost everything you'd want. Cheap researchers in Berytan Sages, light water/air at a low price in Mage Pilots, heavier StR stuff in Storm Callers (A2W2 100%FAWS), a sacred Blood hunter with a 25% shot at B2, and cap-only Brides-in-Waiting which are F2A2E1B2H2 110%FAEB, plus summonable Hinnomite Melqarts at Blood 6.

Troop-wise, their sacreds are pretty low-encumbrance for a giantesque unit (enc 5), and they're cheap enough in terms of both gold and res that they're very usable. If you're not up for size three foot troops, they also have decent lance-armed cavalry, a range of perfectly good chaff infantry (MM2 archers, spearmen and swordsmen are available), and War Elephants.

They also start in a middle-era Castle, with increased defence and administration as a result.

They're total bullshit in almost every respect.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think the cherry on the top is that there is no sailing number limit. Size limit is 2, but they can bring as many dudes as they command.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

nothing to seehere posted:

I still weep for old Marveni druids. Making them StR makes sense, but why make them cap-only aswell?
And still no blood on their mages, nor cap-freedom for their Boar Warriors :negative:

I don't know why they didn't change it so that Gutuater couldn't blood sac, but had a decent chance at some blood access. Even a 25%, Jesus Christ I do not want to be harrying the general public with indie scouts or commanders to trawl for those elusive B0 blood slaves now that we can't set taxes to zero.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
So a few years late to this party, but I just got Doms3 because I had plenty of steambux sitting around. I am absolutely loving this game and kicking myself for not getting it sooner. I am only currently playing against easy ai with http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki open on my other monitor to get a feeling of what the hell I am doing. Is this the kind of game where I should pick a race(theme) I like and go with it? Really like LA Ermor but I feel like that race won't win me any friends if I ever stop being afraid to play online.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You can try Tir na n'Og or Niefelheim since they're pretty forgiving and have great commanders. Hinnom isn't that bad either, since they're powerful and will introduce you to bloodhunting.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

lokipunk posted:

So a few years late to this party, but I just got Doms3 because I had plenty of steambux sitting around. I am absolutely loving this game and kicking myself for not getting it sooner. I am only currently playing against easy ai with http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki open on my other monitor to get a feeling of what the hell I am doing. Is this the kind of game where I should pick a race(theme) I like and go with it? Really like LA Ermor but I feel like that race won't win me any friends if I ever stop being afraid to play online.

Any of the Frost Giant nations are good to learn with: Niefelheim, Jotunheim and Utgard. You have good troops for bless/non-bless strategies, solid path access, and a really cool theme to work from. Most of it even translates over to Dom4!

Yummyeyes
Oct 20, 2012
I've really been meaning to try Dominions, I've heard about this game for sooooo long.

But now with dom4 apparently coming out soon: should I buy dom3 to dip my feet into this madness, or should I just go straight to 4? I know the OP says to just wait for 4, but are the new features worth the price difference, does it obsolete the other game completely?

keeping in mind that dom4 is double the price of dom3.

help me decide goons!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yummyeyes posted:

I've really been meaning to try Dominions, I've heard about this game for sooooo long.

But now with dom4 apparently coming out soon: should I buy dom3 to dip my feet into this madness, or should I just go straight to 4? I know the OP says to just wait for 4, but are the new features worth the price difference, does it obsolete the other game completely?

keeping in mind that dom4 is double the price of dom3.

help me decide goons!

Dom4 is pretty much just Dom3 with some UI tweaks and some of the more obscure stuff like reverse communions cut out. I don't really think there's any reason to get 3 over 4, is there?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

lokipunk posted:

As long as you don't play a blood nation you can't go wrong. Unless you pick Agartha. So I guess you can go wrong two ways. Oh yeah and LA Ermor like you said so three ways I guess.

e: If anyone has a link to Lili's LP where TheDemon was playing Lanka that would probably be an interesting and informative read for the guy

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 18, 2013

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It's rather unlikely anyone will be playing Dominions 3 online after the release of Dominions 4. That's the main reason to get 4.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Decrepus posted:

As long as you don't play a blood nation you can't go wrong. Unless you pick Agartha. So I guess you can go wrong two ways. Oh yeah and LA Ermor like you said so three ways I guess.

e: If anyone has a link to Lili's LP where TheDemon was playing Lanka that would probably be an interesting and informative read for the guy

It's in the OP.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

brainwrinkle posted:

It's rather unlikely anyone will be playing Dominions 3 online after the release of Dominions 4. That's the main reason to get 4.

This is absolutely the reason you should get Dominions 4 instead of 3. Multiplayer really makes this game, and the extra cost is totally worth being able to play multiplayer.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lilli posted:

This is absolutely the reason you should get Dominions 4 instead of 3. Multiplayer really makes this game, and the extra cost is totally worth being able to play multiplayer.

Also, monthly forging. :suicide:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Whoa whoa, what's the hotkey for monthly forging?? I must know.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Thanks for the advice! I plan to wait for doms4 to come out on steam (and funds have been a bit tight this month) before picking it up. One thing I am not getting is magic item crafting. Spells and stuff are starting to make some sense but the magic items system is just something else I need to jump headfirst into wikis for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

How are u posted:

Whoa whoa, what's the hotkey for monthly forging?? I must know.

MOnthly, M was already taken by monthly rituals.

• Locked thread