Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

gently caress the ROW posted:

Actually, public shaming is a great way to stop bigots and fat people from being that way.

You are terrible and wrong.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0070048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Dr. Lariat posted:

Did that same mental illness keep him from completing college?

Yes/ no?

Well...

Benny the Snake posted:

I was caught by surprise when I found out in January that the university graduated me automatically. Ordinarily I'd have to apply two quarters in advance.

So, just so the people arguing that Benny was perfectly fine at school - he was basically "done" with all of his classes, and KNEW that he was going to have to apply TWO TERMS in advance to graduate. And didn't. But somehow got graduated anyway.

So, actually, no he wasn't doing ok on his own in school and his issues quite possibly WERE keeping him from graduating.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
hey benny, whatup? Did you get your pills fixed?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

So which are you, fat or a bigot? Maybe a fat bigot? Bigoted against fat people?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Benny is a dude who has no problems pretending to have a hang over to avoid work, throw his coworkers under the bus after promising to cover him and flat out lies to his bosses about damaging cars. He can't work 20 hours a week without being completely exhausted. He still believes he's going to get some sort of writing job despite being incapable of writing movie reviews that aren't riddled with grammar and logical mistakes.

The thread had to scream at him to go back to the doctor and get new meds.

Having Benny be able to make a grilled cheese sandwich without burning down his mom's house is probably the most we can ask for right now.

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.
Benny, how's the family been? Seems like forever since we've heard about them. Are they still riding your rear end? Have the comic books been thrown out? Has the TV been locked on the Disney channel and the remote thrown out yet?

Comrade Black
Dec 5, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Having Benny be able to make a grilled cheese sandwich without burning down his mom's house is probably the most we can ask for right now.

Also, getting Benny to update more than once a week with several people asking for updates seems to be more than he can handle as well.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Comrade Black posted:

Also, getting Benny to update more than once a week with several people asking for updates seems to be more than he can handle as well.

It's clear at this point he really wants the thread to die and be forgotten. There's a depression joke in there, but :effort:.

Benny, has changing your medication been helpful? Do you feel better/worse than the last time you posted? How many Seuss posts do you have left for the political cartoon thread?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Spicy Chili posted:

Benny, how's the family been? Seems like forever since we've heard about them. Are they still riding your rear end? Have the comic books been thrown out? Has the TV been locked on the Disney channel and the remote thrown out yet?
My Grandpa fell and we don't know if he had a heart attack. He's on the way out so now I'm volunteering myself to look after him. I love him to bits and I could never understand a word he says (I speak English he speaks Spanish). So excuse me for not being in a conversational mood right now.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
Benny now has the responsibility of taking care of a frail and dying old man who doesn't speak English. Surely this will end well.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Benny the Snake posted:

My Grandpa fell and we don't know if he had a heart attack. He's on the way out so now I'm volunteering myself to look after him. I love him to bits and I could never understand a word he says (I speak English he speaks Spanish). So excuse me for not being in a conversational mood right now.

Te Amo means "I love you"

Just hold his hand and tell him that.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

the runs formula posted:

Benny now has the responsibility of taking care of a frail and dying old man who doesn't speak English. Surely this will end well.

This ends up being the tactic used by family members when they want to kill an elderly relative. They see Benny at the window, half dressed since his mother was at work, knocking and just... staring. And they know. They know it's time to go.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Dead Cow posted:

Te Amo means "I love you"

Just hold his hand and tell him that.
Yeah I told that to my Grandmother when she was dying. I held her hand and told her "Te amo" over and over again as I could see that cancer was ravaging her body :smith:

the runs formula posted:

My grandpa understands English and I understand enough Spanish to comprehend what he's saying so it's like a Han/Chewie kind of thing. All I'm going to do is keep an eye on him and help him up and around. Poor guy.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 16, 2013

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
"Te amo" has more of a romantic connotation, "te quiero" / "te quiero con todo mi corazon" is more appropriate when referring to familia.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

gently caress da Mods posted:

"Te amo" has more of a romantic connotation, "te quiero" / "te quiero con todo mi corazon" is more appropriate when referring to familia.
Thanks for the Spanish lesson. It was a generational thing why my parents never taught me Spanish and I tried to learn it on my own with classes but it's really difficult to learn a second language after 13. One of my biggest regrets was never being able to converse with either my grandpa or my grandma and now it's too late :smith:

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Sounds like a good opportunity to learn some spanish.

Get duolingo, it's free and fun.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 17, 2013

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Good luck and be careful! Sorry to hear about the accident. Are you going to be in direct care of him? Learning some more Spanish would probably deliver a nice confidence boost and the feeling of accomplishment, similar to what you get from writing. You don't even have to try. Languages are one of those things you let sink in. Have your grandfather point to poo poo and say it in Spanish. Even if you don't learn a lot right away, you may find yourself recalling some of the information, later.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Benny the Snake posted:

Thanks for the Spanish lesson. It was a generational thing why my parents never taught me Spanish and I tried to learn it on my own with classes but it's really difficult to learn a second language after 13. One of my biggest regrets was never being able to converse with either my grandpa or my grandma and now it's too late :smith:

Pretty sure you should google what the guy you quoted told you to say.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Dude, sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Was it confirmed that your grandfather had a heart attack?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Araenna posted:

No, I understand what he said. I can comprehend Spanish: I just can't converse.

cname posted:

Good luck and be careful! Sorry to hear about the accident. Are you going to be in direct care of him? Learning some more Spanish would probably deliver a nice confidence boost and the feeling of accomplishment, similar to what you get from writing. You don't even have to try. Languages are one of those things you let sink in. Have your grandfather point to poo poo and say it in Spanish. Even if you don't learn a lot right away, you may find yourself recalling some of the information, later.
I'm just gonna be there to help him along. I'll look into learning Spanish.

Ms. Happiness posted:

Was it confirmed that your grandfather had a heart attack?
Yep, a minor one. We're not to tell him 'cause the stress would make his condition even worse.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Benny the Snake posted:

Yep, a minor one. We're not to tell him 'cause the stress would make his condition even worse.

His doctor has to be breaking some sort of medical ethics rules.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Benny the Snake posted:

Surely there had to be a hospital closer to him than 1935?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Araenna posted:

:stonklol:

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.
Sorry to hear that, Benny. Losing family sucks, man.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Spicy Chili posted:

Sorry to hear that, Benny. Losing family sucks, man.

He isn't dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Araenna posted:

It seems like "I love you with all of my heart" is a valid translation of that phrase many Spanish speaking places. A quick Google indicates that quiero really is the more appropriate word to use with family (depending on location), even though a literal translation to English sounds weird.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrainParasite posted:

It seems like "I love you with all of my heart" is a valid translation of that phrase many Spanish speaking places. A quick Google indicates that quiero really is the more appropriate word to use with family (depending on location), even though a literal translation to English sounds weird.

OK, then. I just assumed people would be putting Benny on when I saw a translation. Sorry!

Blue Steel
Aug 19, 2009

GET YOUR BITCH ASS OUT OF E/N AND BACK TO TFLC
C'mon Benny lift some weights bro. Nothing boosts self confidence like starting out weak and seeing strength improvements only after just a few workouts.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Yea Ben, do something physical. You'll have more energy to deal with all the bullshit in your life. Trust me, it helps.

My life is a pile of poo poo, right now. Work is grinding me to the core and just when I think I'm about to snap, I hit the gym and it absolutely recharges my batteries.

Before the gym, I'll be asking myself how much longer I can possibly go on like this. After the gym, I feel like I can keep trucking for as long as it takes to find a way out.

I know, I'm projecting. gently caress it, I don't have time to see a therapist and this week has been a shitstorm.

Hit the sidewalk, Benny! I promise if you break a sweat, you'll have more energy to face your deamons, instead of putting them off till another day. I speak from experience.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
His abuelito is dying and your suggestions are to work out. Fuckin' retards over here.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Bench your grandad for quality time and a buff bod.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Dex posted:

Bench your grandad for quality time and a buff bod.

Excuse me, didn't we just argue about this a few pages back? He should clearly start off by walking on his granddad.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
Do something physical, like pack up your poo poo and move it outta your mom's place.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Excuse me, didn't we just argue about this a few pages back? He should clearly start off by walking on his granddad.

No, no, he's gotta just make sure he takes grandpa's meds, on time, every day. Gotta take it slow.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dr. Lariat posted:

No, no, he's gotta just make sure he takes grandpa's meds, on time, every day. Gotta take it slow.

Plant grandpa in the garden. Grow a grandpa tree.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
Grandpa is about to get wacked in the head with a serving tray.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ThatCguy posted:

Grandpa gonna bleed out on Coumadin.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ThatCguy posted:

Grandpa I can't come give you your medicine I have a hangover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Grandpa, I know that I promised my brother that I'd cover his shift taking care of you, but there was a good TV show on and I figured that I'd just pretend that I didn't agree to take care of you.

• Locked thread