Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I haven't heard anything since the Gamespot article which said that up to 20 publishers (including Sega but christ no) were interested in bidding on Atlus. It said they expected to have a buyer before the end of August.

Of course, it's now mid-September, so who knows really.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There hasn't been any news for a while now. I've been checking official sources and they really haven't been saying anything. All we know is that some 20 companies have submitted bids for Index and two of the contenders are a banking firm wanting the cell phone division and Sega. I'm not sure if they are selling off portions of the company or if it's the whole thing altogether.

Devil Survivor 2 Break Record was "delayed due to quality concerns" just before they got delisted from the stock exchange and the only thing out of the Atlus division recently has been the Persona 3 movie and promotions for the Devil Survivor 2 anime Bluray/DVD releases this month.

E: Tokyo Game Show is this weekend, so maybe it's a good time to announce a buyer?

E2: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.indexcorp.myportrait

Yeah, right now they're in cashgrab mode. There has been a steady flow of :swoon:Anime:swoon: games for mobile devices coming from them.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 17, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Playing Soul Hackers, so far so good I suppose. As I understand it, you can't get the good ending unless you play through the game twice? That in of itself wouldn't be a problem if you retained basically everything, but from the sounds of it NG+ is actually harder (you take more damage) and you only get to keep a few things like the compendium and bank balance. Did most people really play through this twice or is it expected to just watch the alternate ending on youtube?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Nate RFB posted:

Playing Soul Hackers, so far so good I suppose. As I understand it, you can't get the good ending unless you play through the game twice? That in of itself wouldn't be a problem if you retained basically everything, but from the sounds of it NG+ is actually harder (you take more damage) and you only get to keep a few things like the compendium and bank balance. Did most people really play through this twice or is it expected to just watch the alternate ending on youtube?

The 3DS version allows you to change the difficulty at any time, even in NG+. You can just watch it on Youtube unless you really, really want to play through again and just roll around with Frost Five.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Breaking news out of Japan is claiming that Sega Sammy is acquiring Index. (Article in Japanese, English one coming soon?)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Please god no, don't let it be true. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/09/17/sega-purchases-atlus-for-14-billion-yen/55909/

Welp. Considering Sega and Nintendo's relationship this at least means Fire Emblem x SMT is probably still on-track.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
This means Atlus will localize Valkyria Chonricles 3, right?

Right?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Pureauthor posted:

This means Atlus will localize Valkyria Chonricles 3, right?

Right?
Right?

:argh:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

There's a translation patch in the works.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Note that Sega Sammy acquiring Index is not the same as Sega acquiring Index. Depends on how much autonomy the parent company gives them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alteisen posted:

Please god no, don't let it be true. :smith:

You wouldn't play an Eternal Champions reboot with the Fiends and the demi-fiend added in or Jack Frost: Total War?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
RIP Atlus USA (the now redundant localization company owned by index.) I hope the new Persona VAs are good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neo Rasa posted:

You wouldn't play an Eternal Champions reboot with the Fiends and the demi-fiend added in or Jack Frost: Total War?

Yakuza 5: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Naked Bathhouse Brawlers. :getin:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So what's the worst case scenario from this it it comes to pass? There's a chance Megami Tensei games won't be coming out in North America or Europe?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

Yakuza 5: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Naked Bathhouse Brawlers. :getin:

Please put Raidou in ISHIN, Sega. Thank you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

So what's the worst case scenario from this it it comes to pass? There's a chance Megami Tensei games won't be coming out in North America or Europe?

The worst case scenario is that SMT is turned into a pachinko-exclusive franchise that never appears outside of smokey Japanese arcades.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SgtSteel91 posted:

So what's the worst case scenario from this it it comes to pass?

I can't help but expect an inevitable Demikids re-imagining, for some reason.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ImpAtom posted:

The worst case scenario is that SMT is turned into a pachinko-exclusive franchise that never appears outside of smokey Japanese arcades.

Even if that happens, at least it went out on a good game, right?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

SMT being a profitable franchise and all, I'm pretty sure it would make more sense to keep making SMT games and churn out those SMT-branded pachinko machines.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

This is indeed the worst case scenario and something that is frightening the living poo poo out of any westerner who loves Atlus right now.

Dec 26, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

SMT being a profitable franchise and all, I'm pretty sure it would make more sense to keep making SMT games and churn out those SMT-branded pachinko machines.

Yeah, this seems most likely.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Atlus already makes pachinko/pachislot games of their SMT/Persona franchises. Sega Sammy would probably just let them reach an even larger market because pachi-games are a huge money maker for them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah it can either be really good or really bad. Sega is good at keeping the PC developers they bought in the past few years like Relic and Creative Assembly in mostly the same shape as they were prior, but Sega is also odd about not bringing over niche titles like Valkrie Chronicles 3, Yakuza 5, or Phantasy Star Online 2. If they were smart, they would take over the US Atlus so things would stay the same.

Hoping Atlus does a image like this when Relic was bought by Sega early this year.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 18, 2013

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Akileese posted:

This is indeed the worst case scenario and something that is frightening the living poo poo out of any westerner who loves Atlus right now.

Hahaha.

I think you're all missing the silver lining: summoning Wreck-it Ralph in the next Persona.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm fluent in 2 languages and know sign language, and I still lack enough words and expression to adequately express my hatred of Sega.

Till time proves otherwise, this is horrible news.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Rirse posted:

Yeah it can either be really good or really bad. Sega is good at keeping the PC developers they bought in the past few years like Relic and Creative Assembly in mostly the same shape as they were prior, but Sega is also odd about not bringing over niche titles like Valkrie Chronicles 3, Yakuza 5, or Phantasy Star Online 2. If they were smart, they would take over the US Atlus so things would stay the same.

Let's be fair, VC3 is on a platform that was stone-cold dead in the West at the time, and Sega gave the old college try with every Yakuza prior before throwing in the towel because no one was actually buying those games.

I dunno about PSO2's circumstances though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN posted:

Hahaha.

I think you're all missing the silver lining: summoning Wreck-it Ralph in the next Persona.

Sonic The Hedgehog themed alternate costume for Teddie.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yakuza came to a standstill when the guy at Sega of America who actually cared about Yakuza quit. The games sold decently enough to justify the small cost of localizing them, but they weren't big money makers. Reportedly ISHIN (the new PS4 Yakuza) is coming overseas according to a Sony rep on NeoGAF and Yakuza 5 is, according to Sony Third Party Production (SCE's new group basically dedicated to making dreams happen), one of the two most wanted games for English localization on PlayStation (its rival is FF Type-0, which Square-Enix is now dancing around teasing a release) so the lights aren't out quite yet on the franchise.

Tough luck for anyone who wants KENZAN! or the Black Panther games though.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Sonikku demon DLC for SMT IV :getin:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Dehry posted:

Sonic The Hedgehog themed alternate costume for Teddie.

Sega is absolutely enamored with product placement and crossovers, from SOAP Shoes in Sonic Adventure 2 to tank decals from Vanquish in Valkyria Chronicles 2. Look forward to FANTA outfits in Persona 5, Pizza Hut Partisans in SMT5, and Hatsune Miku in Devil Survivor 3 (although I'm sure some people here would unironically enjoy that...).

For now we'll just have to be satisfied with a Jack Frost mag in PSO2. :allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Miku in some Atlus property is a given now. For gently caress sake, Miku got into Super Robot Wars on the absolute flimsiest of reasons.

Burroughs DLC for SMT 4 :getin:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Policenaut posted:

Atlus already makes pachinko/pachislot games of their SMT/Persona franchises. Sega Sammy would probably just let them reach an even larger market because pachi-games are a huge money maker for them.

I don't even know why they keep making pachinko/pachislot machines when the perfect one has already been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kh7uBEJbnE

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN posted:

Sega is absolutely enamored with product placement and crossovers, from SOAP Shoes in Sonic Adventure 2 to tank decals from Vanquish in Valkyria Chronicles 2. Look forward to FANTA outfits in Persona 5, Pizza Hut Partisans in SMT5, and Hatsune Miku in Devil Survivor 3 (although I'm sure some people here would unironically enjoy that...).

For now we'll just have to be satisfied with a Jack Frost mag in PSO2. :allears:

One thing I am betting for sure is Teddie or Jack Frost being in Sonic & Sega All Star Racing Transformed soon. They did that with Company of Heroes 2 when they bought Relic this year.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I wonder how probable it will be to hand off the Skies of Arcadia stuff to Atlus now?

I mean yeah a new game hasn't been made in over 12 years, but stranger things have happened.

Then again Shenmue 3 might have a better chance at happening than SOA2. :smith:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Policenaut posted:

Miku in some Atlus property is a given now. For gently caress sake, Miku got into Super Robot Wars on the absolute flimsiest of reasons.

Burroughs DLC for SMT 4 :getin:

I'd buy it. She'd probably be much more likable than Burroughs.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Miku as recruitable/fusable in the next SMT game.

Why not

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Miku as recruitable/fusable in the next SMT game.

Why not

Worked for Dante and later Raidou.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Miku Frost as the new Jack Frost variant. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Miku Frost as the new Jack Frost variant. :getin:

It begins.