Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ManOfTheYear posted:

Do I necessarily need a guide to max all the s. links? I'm on my second playthrough so my "real life" stats (courage etc.) are maxed, so I don't have to worry about that.

Nah. Just don't be willfully obtuse about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Whelp.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

On the bright side, maybe the people at Atlus will replace the higherups and start running those IPs well instead of...how they are now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

On the bright side, maybe the people at Atlus will replace the higherups and start running those IPs well instead of...how they are now.

Doesn't matter, they'll never come to the US.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sonic is totally gonna be a secret Persona, isn't he?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

BreakAtmo posted:

Oh god, kill me now :cripes:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

That or a Panzer Dragoon

edit: or the guy from NiGHTS

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

You have accepted Hornet into your heart!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The heck's with all the doom and gloom? I doubt Sega's stupid enough to not bring over Persona 5, Persona games are the like the only profitable JRPGs alongside Darks Souls in the West anymore right? Plus this means we have a really good chance of getting a PC release. :swoon:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

God is dead :negative:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Poonerman posted:

God is dead :negative:

Well He has been killed a few times over the course of all the SMT games.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

The heck's with all the doom and gloom? I doubt Sega's stupid enough to not bring over Persona 5, Persona games are the like the only profitable JRPGs alongside Darks Souls in the West anymore right? Plus this means we have a really good chance of getting a PC release. :swoon:

You know what else would be an awesome game to bring over?

Phantasy Star Online 2.

Or Yakuza 5.

Yeah.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

You know what else would be an awesome game to bring over?

Phantasy Star Online 2.

Or Yakuza 5.

Yeah.

What's up with Yakuza not bgeing brought over? Does that series really sell so bad outside Japan?

Though it really isn't too hard to imagine SMT getting the same treatment :eng99:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yakuza sells like utter dog poo poo in the west, it loving sucks since the series owns but from a business standpoint it's not really unreasonable.

SMT games sell a lot better so I don't really think it'll suffer the same fate.

And PSO2 is mostly because of all the third party marketing/promotion stuff from what I understand, which probably is a legal nightmare.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

And PSO2 is mostly because of all the third party marketing/promotion stuff from what I understand, which probably is a legal nightmare.

I just want to play it on my Vita. :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I just want to play it on my Vita. :(

The Vita version is.. passable.. but PSE Bursts (and even moreso, Cross Bursts) in Multi-Party Areas.. jeeeez. The frame-rate tanks to sub-ten and it starts missing button inputs. I can kinda deal with that because I play a bow Braver/Ranger, but it's a death sentence for Fighter/Hunter/katana Braver.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yakuza sells like utter dog poo poo in the west, it loving sucks since the series owns but from a business standpoint it's not really unreasonable.

SMT games sell a lot better so I don't really think it'll suffer the same fate.

Sega has a good chance to relaunch Yakuza if they rename it for the West on PS4. However, it's Sega, so they won't. Please look forward to Persona and SMT staying in Japan.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Most likely Sega will go "You guys make money, keep on doing that" and leave them alone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sega didn't bring over poorly-selling games. Why do people assume this means they won't bring over good-selling games even if we were assuming Sega was going to be in direct control of everything.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

Sega didn't bring over poorly-selling games. Why do people assume this means they won't bring over good-selling games even if we were assuming Sega was going to be in direct control of everything.

Actually no, Sega hosed up marketing for games and had too high expectations for sales in the West. If they handled translation along with dev, didn't cut crap from 3 and properly marketed Yakuza games, they would have been fine. Then they f-d up VC franchise by moving it to PSP when it actually sold fairly decently in US for new IP on PS3, and VC2 was not the game that VC1 was by any means. Recently they didn't bother to translate Y5 when they could have at least thrown it in onto PSN.

So, Persona is fine (for now), but everything else is really niche in US to Sega (any other large companies). Atlus could make money on smaller titles by keeping tight budget and having Atlus USA do outstanding job with localization, marketing, special edition packages (look at SMT IV), etc... although of course, Europe got short end of the stick. All of this is a huge jeopardy as Sega has been cutting localization teams for Japanese games, and it would bloat the costs (huge corp vs small company). Western franchises like Total War are a separate entity and developed for West first while Sonic is also almost more Western facing then Japanese.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 18, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

oblomov posted:

Actually no, Sega hosed up marketing for games and had too high expectations for sales in the West. If they handled translation along with dev, didn't cut crap from 3 and properly marketed Yakuza games, they would have been fine. Then they f-d up VC franchise by moving it to PSP when it actually sold fairly decently in US for new IP on PS3, and VC2 was not the game that VC1 was by any means. Recently they didn't bother to translate Y5 when they could have at least thrown it in onto PSN.

So, Persona is fine (for now), but everything else is really niche in US to Sega (any other large companies). Atlus could make money on smaller titles by keeping tight budget and having Atlus USA do outstanding job with localization, marketing, special edition packages (look at SMT IV), etc... although of course, Europe got short end of the stick. All of this is a huge jeopardy as Sega has been cutting localization teams for Japanese games, and it would bloat the costs (huge corp vs small company). Western franchises like Total War are a separate entity and developed for West first while Sonic is also almost more Western facing then Japanese.

Are you honestly surprised that a Japanese company moved an IP (VC) to the PSP, a handheld that did obscenely well in japan, during a peak time where the Japanese market shifted to portable gaming?

Also Y5 has a fuckload of text and the Yakuza series just does not sell here they probably would barely break even if at all. Sega isn't this evil corporation seeking out ways to gently caress over the west like people keep claiming. Even a niche series like SMT sells better here, so they aren't really comparable.

Also SEGA USA's big issue is they're pretty bad at marketing niche things, but SMT and Persona sell decently here with next to no marketing outside videos atlus USA released, meaning it won't really be an issue.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 18, 2013

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are you honestly surprised that a Japanese company moved an IP (VC) to the PSP, a handheld that did obscenely well in japan, during a peak time where the Japanese market shifted to portable gaming?

Also Y5 has a fuckload of text and the Yakuza series just does not sell here they probably would barely break even if at all. Sega isn't this evil corporation seeking out ways to gently caress over the west like people keep claiming. Even a niche series like SMT sells better here, so they aren't really comparable.

Also SEGA USA's big issue is they're pretty bad at marketing niche things, but SMT and Persona sell decently here with next to no marketing outside videos atlus USA released, meaning it won't really be an issue.

Considering VC2 sold like crap in Japan as well, it was a pretty bad decision. They lost any and all sales in the West, and really didn't get much out of Nippon. Yes, Y5 has a ton of text, but the reason it does not sell here is because of terrible marketing mainly. It's not a GTA clone, they cut a lot of poo poo from Y3 which upset people, and Y4 was just not marketed properly. I am not mentioning Dead Souls as that was a terrible game to localize.

Problem is for Sega a small but consistent profit stream which would keep their fan base alive here is not enough (unlike Atlus), hence my worry that they will cut a lot of smaller/niche titles like EO line. The reason that EO/SMT sell is that Atlus properly does online marketing to their fan base which Sega does not do.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

oblomov posted:

Considering VC2 sold like crap in Japan as well, it was a pretty bad decision. They lost any and all sales in the West, and really didn't get much out of Nippon. Yes, Y5 has a ton of text, but the reason it does not sell here is because of terrible marketing mainly. It's not a GTA clone, they cut a lot of poo poo from Y3 which upset people, and Y4 was just not marketed properly. I am not mentioning Dead Souls as that was a terrible game to localize.

Problem is for Sega a small but consistent profit stream which would keep their fan base alive here is not enough (unlike Atlus), hence my worry that they will cut a lot of smaller/niche titles like EO line. The reason that EO/SMT sell is that Atlus properly does online marketing to their fan base which Sega does not do.

There were no sales to be had in the west, VC1 only sold about 40,000 copies for a long, long time. It was a big deal that the DLC was even translated.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Well poo poo. I was well on my way to maxing all my S.Links, but I neglected to confront Adachi by myself in the TV and change his Arcana to Hunger. I don't have a save from before that, and now I'm in a rush to reach an ending so I can do a 3rd playthrough and finally max all my S.Links. I've set Marie's quest into motion, is there any detriment to failing/skipping it? I've already gotten a True Ending on my first playthrough, and any ending that let's me NG+ ASAP would be fantastic.

What do I do?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you've already maxed her S. Link and have set the "quest" in motion (via the conversation with Margaret in January) I'm pretty sure you are railroaded into finishing it. Had you neglected to do either, the only consequence I believe is that you miss out on the P4G epilogue.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Nate RFB posted:

If you've already maxed her S. Link and have set the "quest" in motion (via the conversation with Margaret in January) I'm pretty sure you are railroaded into finishing it. Had you neglected to do either, the only consequence I believe is that you miss out on the P4G epilogue.

Welp. Looks like I'm bringing out my Personae with Victory Cry and just blazing through that dungeon. At least once I pass that I can get the Normal Ending. Not going to sink my time into the True Ending.

Christ on toast, why does stubbornly listening to and being loyal to the Investigation Team lock you out of maxing all the S.Links? :bang:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Neurion posted:

Christ on toast, why does stubbornly listening to and being loyal to the Investigation Team lock you out of maxing all the S.Links? :bang:
Well to play devil's advocate, the game does kind of lay it on pretty thick that you should go visit that person. Why even give the player a choice? Besides, it's not the first time you kind of have to go against the IT (see: the way to avoid a bad ending in December).

Not going to lie it's kind of a kick in the balls, but there's some logic there.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Nate RFB posted:

Well to play devil's advocate, the game does kind of lay it on pretty thick that you should go visit that person. Why even give the player a choice? Besides, it's not the first time you kind of have to go against the IT (see: the way to avoid a bad ending in December).

Not going to lie it's kind of a kick in the balls, but there's some logic there.

Yeah, I did find it odd that visiting him was the first option when given the choice. I thought the game was trying to trick me up, because, y'know, he's a trickster. But nope.

Also, I didn't see that scene as going against the IT, but rather getting Yosuke to calm the gently caress down and look at inconsistencies. Yosuke's the kind of guy who latches onto the first idea he gets and runs with it, despite later evidence to the contrary.

Edit: At least Anubis with Victory Cry makes this dungeon piss easy, as nearly everything is weak to Light or Dark.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neurion posted:

Welp. Looks like I'm bringing out my Personae with Victory Cry and just blazing through that dungeon. At least once I pass that I can get the Normal Ending. Not going to sink my time into the True Ending.

If you maxed Empress and killed all the extra dungeon bosses, you can unlock an extra-hard bonus boss by going for the true ending a second time.

quote:

They are opposite sides, after all. :v:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Persona 4 Arena 2 is now called Persona 4: The Ultimax: Ultra Suplex Hold.

They're adding a new character (besides the 2 from P3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Toe2yX7nqU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Huh. Interesting.

Well, now I know who that mystery girl's sprite was when I was ripping resources from Persona 4. They left in some P3 characters' dialogue sprites -- or rather just one. Yukari. Also the P3's protagonist's persona also serves as a placeholder sprite in a bunch of places.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Nice. Though it'll likely have a more succinct English title. In Japan, Persona 4 Arena is Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I refuse to let the game's title be changed for overseas audience. The glory of "Persona 4: The Ultimax: Ultra Suplex Hold" must be enjoyed by everyone! :colbert:
If only Persona still carried the Shin Megami Tensei prefix, to make this beautiful string of words even more insane.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

One other thing- Supposedly the next Persona Team project will be revealed on Nov 24th.

Teaser site- http://p-ch.jp/

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

It also seems that Ultimax is an actual sequel:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/26/persona-4-ultimax-ultra-suplex-hold-arrives-winter-yukari-junpei-sho-minazuki/

quote:

Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold continues the story after the events in Persona 4 Arena. A few days after P4A, a new tournament pops up on Mayonaka TV called the P-1 Climax. A bizarre red fog covers the streets of Inaba and an image of a figure that looks like Mitsuru being crucified is shown on TV. S.E.E.S. and the Special Investigation Squad work together to figure out what’s going on behind the scenes.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sorry, double post. Stupid phone.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Haha, only a few days after P4A? They're really making the most of Yu's week long vacation in Inaba, aren't they.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

BlitzBlast posted:

Haha, only a few days after P4A? They're really making the most of Yu's week long vacation in Inaba, aren't they.

And all of this is still before the P4G Epilogue. Or Naoto's solo novel if that piece of poo poo is still canon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Yosuke wasn't kidding when he said it was REALLY WEIRD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

What I really want to know is whether or not the Persona 4 Arena Story Mode will be included. I never got Arena due to the region-lock shenanigans and wanting to beat P4G first, and I was glad I waited when we heard about the arcade tests for Ultimax, but now it looks like they expect us to actually buy both games when one is obsolete. I hope not.

• Locked thread