Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Trench_Rat posted:

what is the spot in the middle of spain?

Madrid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Trench_Rat posted:

Either Madrid or Toledo, scale is a bit weird to make out with certainty, but I'd assume Madrid.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
France looks relatively "clean", a red area on the Parisian region, Marseilles and the south-east, and some yellowish areas in the north and around Lyon.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought that was because every Frenchman lives in Paris and the rest is just a couple of dying villages with only some old goatherders still around.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I thought that was because every Frenchman lives in Paris and the rest is just a couple of dying villages with only some old goatherders still around.

For a second I thought I was reading the comments section of Le Monde any major French newspaper.

What exactly is going on in northern Italy? Do they burn tires for warmth or something?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Trench_Rat posted:

Madrid.

Soviet Commubot posted:

What exactly is going on in northern Italy? Do they burn tires for warmth or something?

If you ask someone raised in southern Italy? Yes.

I can't really tell how the pollution map differs strongly from a heavily exaggerated population density map.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 15, 2013

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Soviet Commubot posted:

Climate & geography. The winds can't push them beyond the Alps, so all the poo poo sort of concentrates in the air there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

For a second I thought I was reading the comments section of Le Monde any major French newspaper.

I didn't say it was good, far from it. The current situation in France is the result of a centralization policy taken too far (as well as historically low birth rates), which I incidentally assume you're opposed to.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I'm surprised that Germany outside of the Ruhr is as blue as it is on that map.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I can't really tell how the pollution map differs strongly from a heavily exaggerated population density map.

It seems to correlate closely with population density, yes. Also interesting (if predictable) that those areas are the same ones that already underwent urbanization as early as the Middle Ages, and that even today the pattern of migration is leading to higher population growth there. People across Europe are still moving to the Western European metropolitan centers.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I didn't say it was good, far from it. The current situation in France is the result of a centralization policy taken too far (as well as historically low birth rates), which I incidentally assume you're opposed to.

You're not wrong, it's just that I've been torturing myself reading comments sections lately and so many Parisians seem to think that France (and the world) begins and ends at the borders of Île de France. Your assumptions about my opinions of French (over)centralization are probably pretty correct.

sweek0 posted:

I'm somewhat surprised Berlin isn't more yellow, it's a fair bit bigger than Lyon.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Soviet Commubot posted:

You're not wrong, it's just that I've been torturing myself reading comments sections lately and so many Parisians seem to think that France (and the world) begins and ends at the borders of Île de France.

Except during the holiday season, of course.

My country is, unsurprisingly, a disgusting mess, especially Flanders, one of the most densely populated areas in Europe. It also lacked any urban planning regulations until quite recently (the 80's I think), with predictable consequences.

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 15, 2013

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Antwan3K posted:

Except during the holiday season, of course.

My country is, unsurprisingly, a disgusting mess, especially Flanders, one of the most densely populated areas in Europe. It also lacked any urban planning regulations until quite recently (the 80's I think), with predictable consequences.

Wait no planning at all, so you mean people were building poo poo up wily nilly? :psyduck:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Wait no planning at all, so you mean people were building poo poo up wily nilly? :psyduck:

What he means is that Flanders looks like this:

While the Netherlands look more like this:

With comparable population densities. Flemish spatial planning is a complete clusterfuck.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Yes. Large areas of previously rural land are now dominated by the pattern of so called ribbon development. This is basically the least efficient way of building imaginable, from a conservationist and environmental (eg. concerning car dependency, heating costs that are larger for detached houses) point of view.

Not entirely sure, but I think the law used to be that you could build on any plots next to a road and 50m or less from another house. Everyone of course built exactly 50m from each other initially. (Not entirely sure on the exact distance) The space between was often developed later which also leads to absurdist combinations of building styles and house types along a typical Belgian semi-rural road.

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 15, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Trench_Rat posted:

Probably Madrid, its capital.

Badger of Basra posted:

urbanization.jpg

That doesn't really explain why in Austria Linz is darker than Vienna. From what I remember of Upper Austria it wasn't really urban at all.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ras Het posted:

Climate & geography. The winds can't push them beyond the Alps, so all the poo poo sort of concentrates in the air there.

It's also a near perfect outline of the Po Valley, basically the only low-lying portion of Italy (i.e not hills or mountainous) , and the most fertile region. Lot's of concentrated industrialization happened there and not in the South. Ya know, corruption and regionalism.

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

Kinda surprised to see Eastern Europe so relatively unpolluted, I would've expected at least big cities like Kiev and Minsk to be redder.

I also found a similar map of the whole world:

China :thumbsup:

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The map is of nitrogen dioxide levels, to quote the ESA "Nitrogen oxides are produced by emissions from power plants, heavy industry and road transport, along with biomass burning." Here is another map of fine particulate matter, another type of air pollution.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'm somewhat surprised Berlin isn't more yellow, it's a fair bit bigger than Lyon.

Going by a quick Google search, it seems Berlin made reduction of air pollution a major policy objective and adopted a comprehensive strategy to achieve the cleanest air possible, and succeeded. There's a study from 2011 that found that Berlin has the cleanest air of any major city in Europe.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sweek0 posted:

There are surprising amounts of Germany that is just green with nothing there at all. You can drive for hours without saying anything larger then a small village.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

The map is of nitrogen dioxide levels, to quote the ESA "Nitrogen oxides are produced by emissions from power plants, heavy industry and road transport, along with biomass burning." Here is another map of fine particulate matter, another type of air pollution.

This one seems much more climate-dependent. I'm assuming that the Sahara is red due to the type of soil that is prevalent there and not because of pollution caused by the (virtually non-existent) locals.

Davincie posted:

There are surprising amounts of Germany that is just green with nothing there at all. You can drive for hours without saying anything larger then a small village.

Same with France and Spain, to an even larger extent. People always talk about how densely populated Western Europe is, but in reality it's limited to specific regions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's basically just where the industry is. Northern Italy is an industrial power house, so is the Ruhr area in Germany. It's just a mix of climate, population density, and industrial activity.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Purno posted:

Kinda surprised to see Eastern Europe so relatively unpolluted, I would've expected at least big cities like Kiev and Minsk to be redder.

To be fair, at least 350 million people live in that dark region around Beijing.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Rebel Blob posted:

If anyone is wondering why there's such a huge band of red going across Eurasia and North Africa, it's that particulate matter includes not only stuff like smog and ash, but also dust and silt as well. Eastern China is so insanely dark red because of both coal-burning power plants and huge amounts of airborne silt from riverbeds that gets blown up during the dry season. A few years ago, it made the news when prevailing winds were blowing it all the way to western Japan.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Purno posted:

The weirdest thing about this is you can clearly see where Russia use to test Nuclear weapons on this map. The Ottawa Valley is still populated as poo poo as well despite all the industry being gone for 20+ years.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

That doesn't really explain why in Austria Linz is darker than Vienna. From what I remember of Upper Austria it wasn't really urban at all.

Linz has heavy industry, Vienna doesn't.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

The weirdest thing about this is you can clearly see where Russia use to test Nuclear weapons on this map.

Is that the red splotch in (what is I think) eastern Kazakhstan?
E: Nvm, I think that's actually the area around Urumqi.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 15, 2013

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

What on Earth's up with South Africa there? It can't just be Johannesberg given what Cape Town looks like, and anyway it looks a bit too far east.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

House Louse posted:

What on Earth's up with South Africa there? It can't just be Johannesberg given what Cape Town looks like, and anyway it looks a bit too far east.

Eh, from the map it really looks like greater Johannesburg (which would technically include Pretoria).

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

House Louse posted:

Lots of mining going on around there, which can't be great for air quality.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Purno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ4K0hHin9s

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In the half-second before I saw the Onion logo, I thought that was serious. It's the kind of thing they'd do.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sbaldrick posted:

The weirdest thing about this is you can clearly see where Russia use to test Nuclear weapons on this map. The Ottawa Valley is still populated as poo poo as well despite all the industry being gone for 20+ years.

To be fair, we have the capital (and Ottawa's actually part of the yellow stain beside that red dot, which is Montreal).

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Purno posted:

what is going on in the Congo on this map? (mining)

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

World of equal-population districts:

Closeups here:
http://worldofequaldistricts.tumblr.com/

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Closeups here:

You should at least describe it as being 665 roughly equal districts of 10-11 million people each.

Poor cartography. :colbert:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Closeups here:

Neat that Tunisia is roughly the same.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

PrinceRandom posted:

Neat that Tunisia is roughly the same.

Laos, Somalia, Rwanda, Bolivia, and Guinea, too. Basically any country with roughly 10 million in population stays the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I'm assuming that vaguely triangle-shaped purple country in Western Europe is just Belgium, but it's a bit hard to make out. Is there a higher-resolution map available somewhere?