Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
IDK, I liked it and it fit the song. Not sure if you guys were expecting Interstella 5555 or something for this album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

an skeleton posted:

IDK, I liked it and it fit the song. Not sure if you guys were expecting Interstella 5555 or something for this album.

I wasn't expecting that, but a bit more flash in the actual direction and editing wouldn't have hurt. Everything's shiny and there's a lot of people but there's no energy or inventiveness to any of it. It's shot like a nature documentary of people having fun.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

sethsez posted:

I wasn't expecting that, but a bit more flash in the actual direction and editing wouldn't have hurt. Everything's shiny and there's a lot of people but there's no energy or inventiveness to any of it. It's shot like a nature documentary of people having fun.

A sterile representation of humans dancing in a disco kind of makes sense with the whole 'robots emulating 70's music' shtick, no?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

an skeleton posted:

A sterile representation of humans dancing in a disco kind of makes sense with the whole 'robots emulating 70's music' shtick, no?

Eh, I'm finding using this excuse as justification for everything they've done with this album to have stretched thin past the point of plausibility.

At some point sterile and flat, no matter what the intent, is just sterile and flat.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

an skeleton posted:

Sure, if that was actually the angle they were going for here, but somehow I doubt it was. It's not a blatant "robots approximating humans" kind of sterility, it's just dull in its direction and editing. It's the kind of sterility that happens when the director of photography is phoning it in.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 17, 2013

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Daft Punk used to have such good videos.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
This is a lot of moaning over one little promo video they did.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rocco posted:

I think it's a lot of moaning over the fact that some folks just feel like *this decade's* Daft Punk is just kind of a hollow shell of crud. And as these videos and promos come out, it just sorta drives that nail home even further.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I like the album and what they were trying to accomplish with the music itself, but I feel that a lot of missteps have been made in terms of PR and marketing. How much of that is Thomas & Guy and how much is Sony, I don't know.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

I think it's a lot of moaning over the fact that some folks just feel like *this decade's* Daft Punk is just kind of a hollow shell of crud. And as these videos and promos come out, it just sorta drives that nail home even further.

This is crap. I love the album to death but I hate the promo materials simply because they're lazy and uninspired. Just because you don't like RAM doesn't mean every complaint that anyone has to do with DP is an indicator of that.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Rocco posted:

It's the most recent thing from Daft Punk, and the first full video from them in three years. What do you want people to talk about in the Daft Punk thread if not this? Nobody's slitting their wrists over it being a boring video, we're just disappointed since their videos are usually better.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
It also kind of annoys me that Guy is playing bass in the video, when it's not actually him playing bass in the song, but that's nitpicking I guess. I guess the long wait and previous albums and videos has made me put them on a pedestal and expect flawless integrity in every way, which is silly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bown posted:

This is crap. I love the album to death but I hate the promo materials simply because they're lazy and uninspired. Just because you don't like RAM doesn't mean every complaint that anyone has to do with DP is an indicator of that.

I didn't say it was?

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

sethsez posted:

It's the most recent thing from Daft Punk, and the first full video from them in three years. What do you want people to talk about in the Daft Punk thread if not this? Nobody's slitting their wrists over it being a boring video, we're just disappointed since their videos are usually better.

I'm disappointed too, I don't like it, but for it to spiral into A BAND I ONCE LOVED IS NOW DEAD is just as boring.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol what the gently caress now they release a "remix" of Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out...where they hardly did anything to it at all hahahahaha. These guys.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol what the gently caress now they release a "remix" of Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out...where they hardly did anything to it at all hahahahaha. These guys.

That came out a long time ago (I think?) on one of the imports for the single. If I remember correctly, it's entirely forgettable.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Here's the link for those of you playing along at home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxX_7WAvXn4

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Here's the link for those of you playing along at home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxX_7WAvXn4

If that's the one Intel&Sebastian was talking about it's at least five years old...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Odd, rolling stone was posting on facebook like it was new.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Doctor Claw posted:

Daft Punk pretty famously only tours once every ten years. They didn't tour for Discovery and did not tour for Human After All until two years after it's release. They don't want to and they don't need to.

That said, Alive 2007 was loving amazing and I'd drive twice as far and pay twice as much to see it again.

You saw Alive 2007 in person? drat. It's definitely one of my favorite albums of all time, I would pay anything to have been there.

mogran posted:

I still think the RAM remix album (THE THING BY DAFT PUNK THAT IS THEM REMIXING THESE SONGS LIKE ALIVE) will be better than the original album.

When is this happening?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 20, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What was the point of that remix? That reminds me of the Moby remix of Son of Flynn from Daft Punk's TRON Legacy OST in which Moby barely did anything to song at all :psyduck:

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!

Michael Scott posted:

You saw Alive 2007 in person? drat. It's definitely one of my favorite albums of all time, I would pay anything to have been there.

When is this happening?

My ticket to the Brooklyn show was $42. I would have easily paid $120 to go, especially now knowing how historic it was. I don't care what they do next, I'll be there. Also, if you pause the HFBS live video at 2:32 you can see the back of my brother and I's heads :)

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Doctor Claw posted:

My ticket to the Brooklyn show was $42. I would have easily paid $120 to go, especially now knowing how historic it was. I don't care what they do next, I'll be there. Also, if you pause the HFBS live video at 2:32 you can see the back of my brother and I's heads :)

After everything was tallied up I think I ended up spending about $1000 for the trip to Keyspan park, that included tickets for me and a few I ended up giving to broke friends that lived in NY, hotel for a few nights, the party at Studio B, and a flight from New Orleans to JFK on jetblue.

I'd spend twice as much next time.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It looks like Guy-Manuel also released a playlist on spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/user/daftpunkofficial/playlist/0XfDbGcirqCJsVf2z9cRuQ

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Do we know about when we might get the next remix? If at all?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Some dude won a contest to get a tour inside the three studios in LA that Daft Punk recorded in. Now he's making videos of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx6Lb4rTGVA

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Late but I just skimmed through the Lose Yourself to Dance video for the first time. Isn't that pretty much the Get Lucky video but with people dancing around with it?

If Doin' It Right is the next single, will it be Panda Bear just photoshopped over Pharrel's body? And that guitarist still there too?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I hope they do nothing, and perpetuate the view and eventual wikipedia edit that Pharrell Williams is the lead singer of daft punk.

e: or get Pharrell to redo the vocals for doing it right for a special single.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Deluxe Edition of RAM revealed:

A. The Deluxe Box Set Edition is presented in a cloth-bound box (333mm x 333mm / 13” x 13”) stamped with the Random Access Memories logo in gold foil on the cover. All individual contents are separated by vellum dividers printed with a circuit pattern texture inspired by the gloves of the Daft Punk Robots.

B. A special edition 180 gram double vinyl with gold and silver foil labels. Includes an 8 page saddle stitched booklet containing album artwork, credits and lyric sheets.

C. A 56 page cloth-bound, hardcover photo book of images from the RAM recording sessions and film shoots, featuring a foreword by Paul Williams.

D. A special edition 10” collector’s vinyl containing an extended interview with Giorgio Moroder taken from the original session recordings for the song, “Giorgio by Moroder”.

E. Two sets of Robot helmet design schematics with individual components separated onto 8 layers of unbounded transparencies. Each set is contained in a clear presentation pouch.

F. A pair of full body Robot design schematic posters (304mm x 608mm / 12” x 24”) printed on heavy weight matte finish poster paper.

G. A 70mm motion picture film strip containing 5 sequential frames from the “Lose Yourself to Dance” original production dailies, mounted in a heavy weight matte stock with an open back.

H. A pair of gold and silver plated, metal encased, reusable USB drives containing the following*:

AUDIO:
    High-resolution digital audio files (88.2KHz / 24Bit) of the 13 original tracks on RAM plus the high-resolution audio files of the bonus track, Horizon and Daft Punk’s Get Lucky Remix.

VIDEO:
    High-definition, Apple Pro Res 422 (1920×1080) video files of: the full length video for “Lose Yourself to Dance”; the original RAM TV campaign spots; the extended Coachella version of the “Get Lucky” promo featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers.

http://web.randomaccessmemories.com/deluxe/

Jesus Christ :stare:

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
$275. Thank god I looked at the price before I hit ORDER.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I sure hope that book shows up separately.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
That's disgusting.

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!
Everything about post-RAM Daft Punk is gross. I hope they become a bit more humble and realistic whenever they choose to embark on their next musical foray.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

A few things they've done recently HAVE been gross, but I don't see why this falls under that category. It's a neat thing for hardcore fans if they want it. Nobody's forcing you to buy it.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Because it's clearly a cash grab and grossly overpriced? Maybe they are trying to get their retirement funds built up or something, but that deluxe edition is grossly overpriced.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I would not mind paying $275 for that. I may end up doing that. Have to see if I can afford it.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Shadowgate posted:

Because it's clearly a cash grab and grossly overpriced? Maybe they are trying to get their retirement funds built up or something, but that deluxe edition is grossly overpriced.

It's got pieces of their original film print poo poo and a thousand other things. $275 is a lot of money but I don't think it's overpriced for everything you get. It's a collector's item.

These are the same guys that sold gold and silver Coke bottles for a mint years ago too. Nothing new here.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm not buying it because I already own both the CD and the vinyl, plus some of those bonuses seem completely unnecessary, and not even in the "holy poo poo I have to have them anyway" kind of way.

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!
I just don't understand the point of a "deluxe" edition that is basically just the album plus a bunch of nonsense posters and usb drives, it's not really about the music or even the album at this point. A remix album, a few b-sides, or unreleased stuff etc.. is more what i consider deluxe but whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Modest Mike posted:

I just don't understand the point of a "deluxe" edition that is basically just the album plus a bunch of nonsense posters and usb drives, it's not really about the music or even the album at this point. A remix album, a few b-sides, or unreleased stuff etc.. is more what i consider deluxe but whatevs.

The same reason they sold $200 action figures multiple times in the past- some people want cool Daft Punk poo poo.

• Locked thread