Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm surprised there's such a hatedom for Saints Row among GTA players. You'd think GTA fans would be feeling pretty secure with themselves. :shrug:

At least Saints Row players are pretty chill.

Losing the fight before they can even throw their first punch can do that to a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Slate Action posted:

The whole joke to naming the DLC 'GAT V' is so there's a Stream entry for 'GAT V' and sites can say 'GAT V out today on PC!' whereas Grand Theft Auto V won't be out on PC for years.
Not only that, but headlines on Kotaku saying "GAT V free today only on Steam".

It was a wonderful troll.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The announcement on Steam that it's free today is also pretty great.

"Want to buy GAT V on PC? Too bad! Because we made the GAT V pack FREE on Steam for today only!"

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Cleretic posted:

Losing the fight before they can even throw their first punch can do that to a person.

Pretty much.

I'm really amazed how little interest I have in GTA V now that I have Saints Row 3 and 4 under my belt. The world of GTA V is certainly going to be a lot more detailed, which is interesting to me and scratches an itch the past two Saints Rows never quite reached, but god drat does everything I see about that game's sense of humor make me roll my eyes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I'm probably gonna have a lot of fun with the open world and I'm really interested in what GTA Online is gonna be like, but I'm pretty sure the main thing that's gonna go through my head while playing will be "what would a Saints Row game with GTAV's budget be like?"

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Rocketlex posted:

I think Volition agreed with you, which is the reason he goes almost entirely unmentioned in SR4.

To be fair, though, apparently he had almost his entire storyline either cut out or merged with other characters'. I have to think a lot of details about how he runs his prostitution ring (which might have had elements to salvage him) were lost in the cut. Saints Row's writers are smart enough that I wouldn't think they'd add something that incongruous unless something went really wrong in translation from concept to creation.

Aren't they planning to have Zimos return as part of a DLC though?

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm surprised there's such a hatedom for Saints Row among GTA players. You'd think GTA fans would be feeling pretty secure with themselves. :shrug:

At least Saints Row players are pretty chill.

That only applies inside of this forum, unfortunately :suicide:

PicklesMcGillicuddy posted:

Everywhere I go online, people are foaming at the mouth about GAT V. It's so beautiful, I love it.

This sounds hilarious. What sites have you been visiting where this is a thing? I enjoy watching trainwrecks :shobon:

edit: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GATV&src=hash

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 18, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Aren't they planning to have Zimos return as part of a DLC though?

Apparently. I'm interested to see if they manage to rehabilitate him. I didn't expect them to be able to make me not hate SR3 Shaundi, so I'm not writing Zimos off yet, but they have a lot further to go with him.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Tiggum posted:

You're saying they definitely weren't being forced because of how they were dressed? :psyduck:

Look... if they didn't want to be treated that way, then shouldn't have dressed like that.

What was I supposed to do? There they are, in brightly colored... animal suits. Just encouraging me. These... hot dogs and soda cans.

When I see how they're dressed I just... I just have to... throw a fart in a jar at them.

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

I DO NOT EAT HUMAN FOOD; I ONLY EAT
PINE CONES

Hatbox Ghost posted:

This sounds hilarious. What sites have you been visiting where this is a thing? I enjoy watching trainwrecks :shobon:

So far it's been Facebook, GameFAQs, and Salty Bet

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Buff is amazing for screwing up cutscenes (linked for minor story spoilers).

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

PicklesMcGillicuddy posted:

So far it's been Facebook, GameFAQs, and Salty Bet

For Gods sake, stay away from the SRIV Facebook. It just makes me sad.

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

I DO NOT EAT HUMAN FOOD; I ONLY EAT
PINE CONES
I only looked at Steam's announcement for GAT V. I imagine the offical page is some kind of wasteland right now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
God drat it Volition. Give away DLC for loving FREE, and it's a funny joke to tweak the nose of the 500-pound GTA gorilla. Now I have to buy one of the other cosmetic DLCs to express my appreciation. Dubstep songs or plunger gun?

Rocketlex posted:

I'm really amazed how little interest I have in GTA V now that I have Saints Row 3 and 4 under my belt. The world of GTA V is certainly going to be a lot more detailed, which is interesting to me and scratches an itch the past two Saints Rows never quite reached, but god drat does everything I see about that game's sense of humor make me roll my eyes.
Eh, I personally don't have to make a decision since I'm PC only, but watching Giant Bomb's 2 hour stream of the beginning of GTA V was pretty neat. We've talked in here about the good chatter between all the different homie combos, but GTAV has near constant dialogue, and most of it is really well written. I can't even imagine the VA budget. And that's just one of a number of things that look really good.

I'm not going to hate on GTA just because I like SR. It's almost weird to consider them the same genre. Rockstar is making the best cinematic game experience they can on an unlimited budget. Volition made the funnest video game they could, with far less.

On the other hand watching someone drive in GTA V was just sickening. The basic car physics are just so awful, every car flops around like a dead flounder. At one point Vinny jacks a city bus, and you can actually see that the wheels have nothing to do with the turning motion of the vehicle. It astounds me that in the 6 years (six! years!) between GTA releases, we've had Saints Row 2 & 3 with far improved driving physics, plus Sleepy Dogs which was even better, and then SR4 transcended the concept of driving entirely. But GTA still has cars that handle badly and look worse in motion. I never knew LA paved their streets with Teflon.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Klyith posted:

On the other hand watching someone drive in GTA V was just sickening. The basic car physics are just so awful, every car flops around like a dead flounder. At one point Vinny jacks a city bus, and you can actually see that the wheels have nothing to do with the turning motion of the vehicle. It astounds me that in the 6 years (six! years!) between GTA releases, we've had Saints Row 2 & 3 with far improved driving physics, plus Sleepy Dogs which was even better, and then SR4 transcended the concept of driving entirely. But GTA still has cars that handle badly and look worse in motion. I never knew LA paved their streets with Teflon.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I've been playing GTA V nonstop for the last 8 hours and I think the driving is wonderful. Considering how bad the driving is in SR, I don't think there's much room to complain, anyway. GTA IV and V have much better driving. Maybe the people you watched are just bad at the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only vehicles I have problems with in Saints Row are motorcycles. They should come with a drat seatbelt Rim Jobs upgrade or something so that you don't fall off of them so easy.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
^^^^ edit: some mod for SRTT changed motorcycles so you needed a way higher collision speed to get thrown off. It wasn't like seatbelts, more like your rear end got superglued to the seat!

PureRok posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I've been playing GTA V nonstop for the last 8 hours and I think the driving is wonderful. Considering how bad the driving is in SR, I don't think there's much room to complain, anyway. GTA IV and V have much better driving. Maybe the people you watched are just bad at the game.
It may be way more appearance than actual handling or control-ability then. Here's when he does a race mission. The fact that he crashes a bunch I put off to just starting the game, but it really seems a lot harder to keep a car under control. There are times that it just spins out with no real provocation. Sorry, but when Gerstmann says he avoided every race in GTA5 after the first I believe he has a reason.

And the appearance thing, I can't be talked out of. Even in low speed turns there is constant exaggerated fishtailing. Look at how the cars often rock side to side as if they're all on raised suspension. Watching someone else drive it just looks nuts.

The SR3 & SR4 driving is completely unrealistic, but it's arcadey fun and at least not difficult to keep a car pointed the way you wanted it. I mean I played with a keyboard and had more crashes from the terrible traffic pop-in distance than anything else.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 18, 2013

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

PureRok posted:

I haven't played GTAV yet, but as someone who is finally getting around to The Ballad of Gay Tony, the driving in GTAIV is awful. I mean, yes, it is 'better' in the sense that it's realistic when you can't just drift into a turn at 90mph a la SRTT or SRIV, but it's also not fun at all in a game primarily about running from the police. I would rather my driving be fluid and responsive then to have my car realistically come to a dead halt and spin out the moment I hit anything larger than a trash bag.

Also, just catching up on this thread...I missed free GATV? drat. I would never buy it because there's also more than enough clothing in the game as-is (and I prefer the regular clothing to the robot hooker outfits/etc anyway) but the knife gun could've been good for a laugh. Ah, well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If the races in GTA V are anything like in IV you can leisurely drive anywhere at half top speed and win, because everyone else will slide and crash into each other in the first corner and all other corners.

CJacobs posted:

The only vehicles I have problems with in Saints Row are motorcycles. They should come with a drat seatbelt Rim Jobs upgrade or something so that you don't fall off of them so easy.
You know, I never tried catapulting myself off a bike or out of a car, recovering in mid-air and transitioning into a glide. Gotta work, right?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PureRok posted:

I haven't played GTA V, but in GTA IV the driving is just loving awful. No matter how fast you go it always feels slow, and if you do get any sort of speed up then you just crash. You can't turn for poo poo. It may be realistic, but I don't drive so I wouldn't know, but I do know that it's tedious and irritating.

At the exact opposite side of the spectrum is Sleeping Dogs, which made driving easy and fun. You always feel like you're going fast, and the vehicles respond to the controls like you expect them to. The Saints Row games are somewhere in between those two extremes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, just catching up on this thread...I missed free GATV? drat. I would never buy it because there's also more than enough clothing in the game as-is (and I prefer the regular clothing to the robot hooker outfits/etc anyway) but the knife gun could've been good for a laugh. Ah, well.

It's still free on my Steam.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's driving in Saints Row IV?

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I bought GTAV on a whim today and all it did was make me wish I was playing Saints Row. :sigh: When I see a big huge city like Los Santos my mind is filled with "Ooh I want to dick around in it" but dicking around in it isn't as rewarding as it is in the SR games.

When I was in line for my copy of GTAV some kid pointed to SRIV and said 'that looks so gay' to his friend and I felt like punching a random stranger in the face. I am not a hardcore nerd about anything but I still felt like that. That's how much I enjoy this stupid game. :allears:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Suzuki Method posted:

I bought GTAV on a whim today and all it did was make me wish I was playing Saints Row. :sigh: When I see a big huge city like Los Santos my mind is filled with "Ooh I want to dick around in it" but dicking around in it isn't as rewarding as it is in the SR games.

When I was in line for my copy of GTAV some kid pointed to SRIV and said 'that looks so gay' to his friend and I felt like punching a random stranger in the face. I am not a hardcore nerd about anything but I still felt like that. That's how much I enjoy this stupid game. :allears:

Punch him in the face and go "the gently caress you say?"

Don't punch people in the face, just gotta be better people.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

He uses a sexual slur to dismiss something sight unseen and if you'd acted on it YOU would have gone to jail.

God bless wherever it is you live.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I too believe freedom of expression should allow me to punch anyone I disagree with and get away consequence free.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Yeah dude the gently caress? :psyduck: Someone shouldn't be punched for using a slur. Someone shouldn't be punched for not agreeing with someone about some video games either.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

I too believe freedom of expression should allow me to punch anyone I disagree with and get away consequence free.

Luckily, Saints Row IV is all about doing that, but to simulated citizens.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

That's another thing I like about SR over other shooty sandboxes.

The civilians are made to be as annoying or rude as possible. They are all shallow and one-dimensional stereotypes. Not only does the game try to make you not feel bad about mowing them down, but they actively encourage you to shoot them in the face by being the scum of the earth in a scummy town.

When I get a civilian involved in my violence in Sleeping Dogs, I feel kinda bad. The opening part of GTAV where my dickbag of a character is taking hostages, I feel bad.

In SR:IV, old ladies veer off the street to hit me while I'm walking and scream "PLEBIAN SCUM!! :argh:".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's one thing I think is interesting about Saints Row in general. Its universe exists in a world where literally everyone is an rear end in a top hat and nobody has any problem with that. Normal, working people are jerks. Gangsters are jerks. Corporate jerks are jerks as per. Everyone is a dick to everyone else and somehow by the beginning of SR4 the world is still standing. It took you personally becoming the PRESIDENT for the Saints Row world to start to realize that being an rear end in a top hat to everything is kind of a lovely way to run things. Then Earth gets blown right up so the point becomes moot.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Could be worse.

Actually, maybe it can't. Saints Row's equivalent of progressives probably aspire to hold companies and governments to the levels of responsibility they exhibit in the real world. Also zombie gas is apparently a thing in 3.

Their world's probably in an existential crisis even before the Zin show up.

poptart_fairy posted:

Who said punch? (Oh right, Suzuki said punch.)

Yeah, you do anything more than call them on it in conversational tone - which they probably won't even hear - and some authority's getting involved. Even that much could get you in trouble if it's a kid.

More of a social issue - and more depressing - than anything else, really.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I like going postal in a world that deserves it. I'm not a grizzled cynical person in real life, I don't like feeling like a sociopath when I play a game. That's just me of course, but I like that I don't have the same amount of guilt when I play SR over another game. Sure they're just pixels and whatnot, but I guess I'm just not as negative as most people. One time in the TF2 thread people started calling me a child for finding Medic getting locked in a shed and being burned to death in Meet the Pyro disturbing. I think it's more disturbing that people find that normal v:shobon:v

Even my grandpa enjoys watching me play, say, Hitman: Absolution or SRIV. It's fairly clear that your targets are shitlords.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

CJacobs posted:

That's one thing I think is interesting about Saints Row in general. Its universe exists in a world where literally everyone is an rear end in a top hat and nobody has any problem with that. Normal, working people are jerks. Gangsters are jerks. Corporate jerks are jerks as per. Everyone is a dick to everyone else and somehow by the beginning of SR4 the world is still standing. It took you personally becoming the PRESIDENT for the Saints Row world to start to realize that being an rear end in a top hat to everything is kind of a lovely way to run things. Then Earth gets blown right up so the point becomes moot.

Not only is everyone an rear end in a top hat, they're all incredibly flippant, to the point of congratulating you/photographing you for doing terrible things, or straight up dissing the most dangerous gang leader in the known world as you walk past. Even old ladies are just as likely to pull a knife on you as run away screaming when you punch them. They just don't give a gently caress. The game can get away with being incredibly violent without being disturbing, or having pole dancers and prostitutes without being misogynist, because the NPCs aren't just passive quivering victims - they're depicted as having their own (violent and funny) personalities and free will.*

I sometimes just run away from pedestrians who I decide don't deserve it, I punched one girl around the uni in SR2 and she yelled indignantly "I AM NOT AN OBJECT :argh:" and maced me. Fair play, sister.

*which is why the SR3 Zimos mission was so lovely - I don't remember the prostitutes saying anything. Even just some funny voice clips or snarky replies to Zimos showing that they weren't poo poo scared would have gone a long way. And I felt bad for the one that was hanging off the edge the whole way back :(

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 18, 2013

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

One time after I defeated a particularly intense 10-wave gang fight in SR3, a lone policeman walks up to me, stepping over the corpses of, I would like to say, 50 or more gang members.

He walks right up to the most dangerous person in the world, who had just killed dozens of people out in the street, wreckage everywhere, and tells me I'm out of line.

I just complimented him and left. What a dude.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Not only is everyone an rear end in a top hat, they're all incredibly flippant, to the point of congratulating you/photographing you for doing terrible things, or straight up dissing the most dangerous gang leader in the known world as you walk past. Even old ladies are just as likely to pull a knife on you as run away screaming when you punch them. They just don't give a gently caress. The game can get away with being incredibly violent without being disturbing, or having pole dancers and prostitutes without being misogynist, because the NPCs aren't just passive quivering victims - they're depicted as having their own (violent and funny) personalities and free will.*

I sometimes just run away from pedestrians who I decide don't deserve it, I punched one girl around the uni in SR2 and she yelled indignantly "I AM NOT AN OBJECT :argh:" and maced me. Fair play, sister.

*which is why the SR3 Zimos mission was so lovely - I don't remember the prostitutes saying anything. Even just some funny voice clips or snarky replies to Zimos showing that they weren't poo poo scared would have gone a long way. And I felt bad for the one that was hanging off the edge the whole way back :(

That is I think the disturbing thing about that Zimos plotline, is that they're never shown as having any agency. And since self determination is a pretty big theme in the Saints Row universe (essentially being the point of the series) it is jarring. Maybe if they'd all joined the saints, or just had a dumb joke (Something like the Whorephonage in Black Dynamite) it would have left less of a bad taste.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God forbid the exploding prostitute and gimp suit-driven pull carts put a little humor into the situation, right?

Zimos' plotline in SR3 is pretty much par for the course in Saints Row world, especially that first mission.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Zimos' plotline in SR3 is pretty much par for the course in Saints Row world, especially that first mission.
Except for the reasons that it isn't, which people have written about, in detail, over several pages.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You guys do realise there are comments in side missions and territory defenses that mention how Zimos is unionizing them and prostitutes are defecting from the Morningstar because of that, right.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

You guys do realise there are comments in side missions and territory defenses that mention how Zimos is unionizing them and prostitutes are defecting from the Morningstar because of that, right.

And between offhand comments and things that happen on screen that the player participates in, one of those things will leave a longer lasting impact.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, stealing a crate full of imprisoned prostitutes with a helicopter and some of them fall out when a rocket hits it... :smith: Oh no I made myself sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Snowman_McK posted:

And between offhand comments and things that happen on screen that the player participates in, one of those things will leave a longer lasting impact.

Right, but all the :qq: it's unrelentingly dark and completely different from the rest of the game :qq: ignores the stuff which contradicts that. So, shrug.

• Locked thread