Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can buy a cable box--basically a giant plastic shoe box to organize cables and power bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

TX297 posted:

This is my #1 tool for cable management (top result) http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=hook+and+loop

Instead of bothering with a cable basket I just drilled a series of 3" screws at an angle to the back of the desk and threw the cabling on it. Since the desk faces the wall, nobody ever sees it. Then I mounted 1 power strip to the front, 1 to the back.

I saw someone post these in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one, I forget) and I'm a big fan of them: Velcro Reusable Ties

Same general idea, but the material is a lot thinner and you get the convenience of zip-ties with the reusability of velcro tape.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
Spent too much time paging through this thread at work so figured I might as well show what my work desk is looking like these days, I'll post a shot of my home machine later if I remember :)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
OK, done screwing around with my desk. After several revisions and some OCD, here is what I came up with:

On the subject of cable management, I completely fail in that department. The floor under my desk looks like a snake pit.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
There is no way you come even remotely close to OCD.

I still like your desk though. Why do you have three pairs of headphones?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

front wing flexing posted:

Why do you have three pairs of headphones?
Why not? Why do I have three cell phones?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

z06ck posted:

I only ask because it's odd.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

z06ck posted:

Drug dealer? Secret agent? Terrorist? Terrible place of employment that won't buy you a decent phone?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

One of them is a gaming headset with a mic, one of them is a popular model that is now out of print, which is also semi-portable, so I take it places when I want to indulge a little. The last a super high-end pair that needs a beast of an amp, never leaves the desk, and brings grown adults to tears.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Finally got a picture of my desk. Need to clean a bit and get my wires from my work computer organized (That'll happen when I get the new modem mounted and poo poo). The rat's nest of wiring won't be too hard, some I just have to re add to the group.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

BabyRyoga posted:

The last a super high-end pair that needs a beast of an amp, never leaves the desk, and brings grown adults to tears.
:jerkbag:

I implore you to conduct a double blind test with those Audeze vs. some generic Senns at 1/3 the price.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wario In Real Life posted:

:jerkbag:

I implore you to conduct a double blind test with those Audeze vs. some generic Senns at 1/3 the price.

The LCD-2s were made to directly compete with Sennheiser's flagship model, the HD800, so lesser Sennheiser headphones would stick out like a sore thumb. Most headphone collectors and enthusiasts consider the LCD-2 the victor in that match-up, actually, but that is talk for the headphones thread or the forums over at Head-fi. There is no gimmicky audiophile voodoo or anything involved, they are just among the best of the best.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hardtarget posted:

Spent too much time paging through this thread at work so figured I might as well show what my work desk is looking like these days, I'll post a shot of my home machine later if I remember :)

Oooh! Where'd you get that laptop stand? I *need* that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

Oooh! Where'd you get that laptop stand? I *need* that.

I have the same one, and got it from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Design-10032-mStand-Laptop/dp/B000OOYECC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379191083&sr=8-1&keywords=laptop+stand
Currently $44 and Prime shipping if you have that.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mucho thanks...I have two on the way

(One for home and one for office)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Audiophilia is a very serious disease.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Hardtarget posted:

That's a bluetooth keyboard right? Can you easily switch between the Macbook and PC with this keyboard? I've seen those 'easy switch' ones from logitech but I want a full size keyboard.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Here's a crappy photo of how wonderfully neat and organized my desk looks when I'm chasing three impossible deadlines.

I need a new iMac, but I hear they might update them in the coming month or so, so I'm going to wait it out.

Fiscal Conservative
Feb 26, 2006

woot fatigue posted:

Here's a crappy photo of how wonderfully neat and organized my desk looks when I'm chasing three impossible deadlines.

I need a new iMac, but I hear they might update them in the coming month or so, so I'm going to wait it out.

Lovely pictures

Your desk hit me in the right feels, making me wish I would've finished architecture school *sigh*

You better love it

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

SEKCobra posted:

Hey it looks decent in that photo and that photo is like actually really neat, just don't actually use that setup.

I used it for a day and couldn't read a thing on it. It was promptly replaced the next day:

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Coolnezzz posted:

I used it for a day and couldn't read a thing on it. It was promptly replaced the next day:

What size monitors are they if you dont mind me asking?

24?

*edit*

I am retarded, what other size could they possibly be :\

insidius fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 17, 2013

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

insidius posted:

What size monitors are they if you dont mind me asking?

24?

*edit*

I am retarded, what other size could they possibly be :\

Actually they're all 23", having a resolution of 1920x1080 and an aspect ratio of 16x9 as opposed to 16x10. The outside two are Dell IPS panels and the middle one is an Acer that had the most favorable reviews / best average price on PCPartPicker. I love them but I still feel like I'm making inefficient use of the available real estate.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I guess the difficulty is that you risk hitting the cupboards to the left/right of your desk if you want to use monitors that are any larger.

I bet you'd be able to fit 5 in, portrait style though.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Fiscal Conservative posted:

Lovely pictures

Your desk hit me in the right feels, making me wish I would've finished architecture school *sigh*

You better love it

I left architecture school after one semester and switched to art school. I found out I appreciate architecture more than I enjoy the process of doing it myself. Now I do architectural photography with some branding and interior design on the side.

VagueRant posted:

Does anyone have advice on cable management and just general tips on fighting dust? I have an absolute mess of cables and adapters with cobwebs and dust all in-between and I can't exactly lift everything up to hoover/vacuum it.

Under my desk and behind my desk is a nightmare. Same with my TV.

I use C-Clamps from the hardware store attached to the back or cross-supports of the desk and use them to hang the cables. You can also use the smaller ones at the back edge of your desk to prevent unused plugs from falling into the abyss.

woot fatigue fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 17, 2013

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

thegoat posted:

My work desktop

I'll throw up another picture of my home setup soon

Taiwan? At a buxiban? I'd know that water bottle anywhere.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
You are correct

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Home

Away

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Sup Hong Kong multi-monitor background buddy. That exact picture lends itself very well to very wide setups. It's pretty. (Can tell even exactly which one, due to the ICC still being under construction in it)

I have a general question that your pic reminded me of: Are keyboard trays really that useful? I have one on my desk and I never use it, it feels too low. Am I doing it wrong, or is it just a matter of taste?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Golbez posted:

Sup Hong Kong multi-monitor background buddy. That exact picture lends itself very well to very wide setups. It's pretty. (Can tell even exactly which one, due to the ICC still being under construction in it)

I have a general question that your pic reminded me of: Are keyboard trays really that useful? I have one on my desk and I never use it, it feels too low. Am I doing it wrong, or is it just a matter of taste?

I'm normally with you, but I went full neckbeard with that build, so I had maybe an inch of "too low" feeling, and the recliner fit it perfectly, so I could literally play like this:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Awesome multi monitor stand and cable management. Wall paper is nice, but I got the real deal :smug:

Tone mapped of my window by caberham, on Flickr

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

caberham posted:

Awesome multi monitor stand and cable management. Wall paper is nice, but I got the real deal :smug:

I feel unless you're working in an administrative or legal department, you shouldn't have your portrait in portrait mode.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm normally with you, but I went full neckbeard with that build, so I had maybe an inch of "too low" feeling, and the recliner fit it perfectly, so I could literally play like this:

I employ a similar stance, down to using my belly to prop up my left elbow, except I also put my left leg up on the table alongside the keyboard, and rest my second leg on a footstool under the desk.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's a nice set up, but why the processor box on the desk?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

El Scotch posted:

It's a nice set up, but why the processor box on the desk?

I was kinda forced to spend an extra $500 on the processor, when you couldn't GET a 3930K (Newegg accidentally sold one to me they never had and renegged) and only one other processor fit the build...

I'll be damned if I'm not gonna show off my $1000 processor box. It also holds SD cards, thumbdrives and random cables.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's kinda like having an hourglass on his desk only instead of simply measuring it time, it measures monetary worth over time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

caberham posted:

Sorry for the late quote, but I noticed you were mentioning the monitor stand; most are really expensive -- the one I have here is not.

http://amzn.com/B006FZY2XK

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I moved in at the beginning of the month, it's still a work in progress.

Center-right monitor is 2560x1440. :black101:

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 21, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
That is a relatively classy gooncave.

Whats the deal with the laptop on the left though? It makes me think of duplo blocks :downs:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's a Toshiba T2100 that I use to fool around with DOS when the mood strikes me. My X230 is in for repair, usually it sits on top of it. I also used it as a mousepad throughout highschool. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rime posted:

I moved in at the beginning of the month, it's still a work in progress.

Center-right monitor is 2560x1440. :black101:

Hey there SMAC-tech-tree-having buddy. Mine's packed somewhere safe, but that's easily the best and most imaginative tech tree in all of video games.