Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Apologies in advance, I have to rant.

My daughter is three years old. I've posted sporadically in this thread over the years since she was born. I took her out to the park to ride her big wheel tricycle today. The park was deserted when we got there and we were the only ones playing and having a good time. I'm trying to get her to be more physically active and do athletic things since I sort of detect it doesn't come that naturally to her. I want her to be self confident when she grows up and sports and athletic activity I think are critical to her.

So we're happily playing by ourselves and she's doing pretty good on the trike when this other little boy that I'd judge to be about 2.5 years old rode in on his bike and basically started to be an obnoxious weenie. He yelled at my daughter and harassed her saying how his bike was bigger and she couldn't peddle. I try to be friendly, but not really engage him because he's acting like an rear end and I don't want to interact with him. My daughter and I ride away, but he's basically following us and yelling about how she can't ride a bike. Basically making her feel like poo poo. It eventually gets so bad that my daughter is on the verge of tears and asks me to leave. We leave and start to walk away, and she's so worked up that she won't even let me pick her up or hold her until about 5 minutes later after she can calm down a bit. The kid's parents were there the whole time and said absolutely nothing.

It was an awful experience, and compounded by my feeling that I should have done something to shut the kid up or told him to leave us alone. I try to be friendly to all kids and I absolutely don't try to be a helicopter parent. But in this case I feel i should have done something because my daughter is was so upset.

So, what could I have possibly done? And will my daughter ever want to ride a bike again? :smith:

edit: Sorry to say this, but I wanted to kick him off his bike.

Vladimir Putin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Once when my brother and I were young, a kid was being mean to my brother and stuck his foot out and tripped him. The next time this kid ran by my dad tripped him.

I don't think you should do what my dad did by knocking the kid off his bike, but you're justified in wanting to.

Personally I probably would have started by telling the boy he wasn't being very nice and needed to stop. If he continued being a brat, I would have said something to the parents.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

frenchnewwave posted:

Personally I probably would have started by telling the boy he wasn't being very nice and needed to stop. If he continued being a brat, I would have said something to the parents.

Yeah, I should have told him at the very least to leave us alone. I was just immobilized by how obnoxious he was at such a young age. I've never met somebody who was so young and so mean to strangers like that.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Vladimir Putin posted:

Yeah, I should have told him at the very least to leave us alone. I was just immobilized by how obnoxious he was at such a young age. I've never met somebody who was so young and so mean to strangers like that.

It's sad that the parents aren't doing anything about it, because that generally doesn't just go away on its own, either. "Ha ha, it's fine! He's so little, he doesn't know any better!" :manning: My friend has a 2 and a half year old daughter and has been teaching her even before she could speak to be polite. It's never too early to start setting that precedent. Oh, but I'm sure they'll turn that behavior off like a light switch once he's 3/4/5/etc...

I've had things happen to me like that where I used to work. Where the kid is just being so weirdly nasty, and the parents just look on as if it's a TV show and they have no input or control of the situation. Almost like they're so used to their kid being a brat that they can't even see it anymore, like people who put on so much perfume every day they can't smell it despite using up half the bottle.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
It would not surprise me if that boy was just reflecting the sort of environment he was largely in, which may very well have also been the parents. For all we know, they might have been proud of how much he was acting like they wanted him to.

Sadly, there really are jerks like that in the world :(

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

edit: Sorry to say this, but I wanted to kick him off his bike.

It's pretty normal to want to I think, I still remember the first kid who was mean to my son (15 years ago now) and seeing my happy charming confident baby look so confused and hurt by some horrible little turd being nasty to him for no reason - I wanted to punch him in the face.

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:
I recommend a passive aggressive approach. Now I know what you might be thinking here, "Aren't we, as adults, supposed to be mature enough to convey our needs, thoughts, and opinions in a super mature and adult manner?" Yeah. Right. Tell that voice in your head to shut up and listen to some good advice.

In a situation like that I recommend NOT speaking directly to the other parents. A seemingly normal and well adjusted person can turn into a snarling fire breathing hate infested troll when confronted about their lack of parenting skills.

Instead, talk to that brat in a nice and polite way. Make sure you are loud enough that the parents hear you. If all else fails? Talk to your child and use the brat as a "Don't do this" example. Basically you need to shame the parents into action. You are not actually saying anything to the parents so it is unlikely that they will confront you.

However, if they do confront you? STEP TO IT! Show your child that you can handle things without being downright mean and nasty but also show her that when it comes right down to it? Mommy will take anyone to task who messes with her baby!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I would've asked the parents to take their child away if he was upsetting my child, gently caress being polite. I've also yelled at another kid (just a "Hey! Stop!") when he cornered Chris in a jungle gym and was smacking him in the face while he cried, but that was a more urgent situation.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.

Istari posted:

Hi, goons.

I'm not a parent, but I saw a post toward the beginning of the thread by someone who was working as a nanny, so I hope this is alright.

I'm going to be spending 3 months over Christmas this year living abroad with a Finnish family as an au pair, and teaching their 6 kids (aged 2-8) English.

I'm studying to become a primary school teacher, and I have years of experience babysitting, so I'm not going in completely unprepared.
That said, I've never dealt with a group of kids that spans such a broad age range, and I've never dealt with kids with a limited understanding of English (I don't know how much English they actually speak; I assume a little bit).

So I'm hoping you experienced parents can give me some ideas for games/activities I can do with them that will involve listening/speaking (and therefore be educational for them), and be interesting for the whole group.

Any ideas ?

E: I should add that I don' speak a word of Finnish.

You'll definitely need to get a feel for how much English they know first, but if their English is limited enough that they need to learn the English words for basic objects, you could show them songs like "Head, Shoulders Knees & Toes." You could play Simon Says and vary the things they have to do depending on their English fluency (for example if they're still getting familiar with basic English vocabulary, simple requests like "Simon says touch your nose," "Simon says point to the chair" will do, but if they're more fluent you can give more complex instructions like "Simon says spin around twice and touch the floor.") You can play Red Light Green Light and vary the vocabulary that you use for "stop" and "go." ("Halt!"/"Continue!") You can play simplified Pictionary.

For the littlest one(s) who aren't quite at that level of direction following, you'll probably have more luck reading a lot of English children's books together and describing what you see. Point to the pictures, talk about details in the pictures, etc. If the weather permits, you can also go on walks and talk about what you see out in the world. You could involve the older kids by making scavenger hunts (find five blue cars, two white houses, etc.)

Honestly, they're young enough that they're going to pick up a lot just from having you around, constantly talking to them in English. Use varied and descriptive words, read out loud from chapter books aimed at grade schoolers, prompt them to describe things to you as much as possible. Praise them for their English accomplishments, no matter how small they seem to you. If you want to get really into it you could create some kind of sticker chart or other reward system that tracks their individual achievements, but that might be tricky with so many different ages and skill levels.

Also, it might be worthwhile to check out the library/bookstore for ESL resources just to get a feel for the kinds of activities that ESL teachers like to do with students.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Budget Bears posted:

Also, it might be worthwhile to check out the library/bookstore for ESL resources just to get a feel for the kinds of activities that ESL teachers like to do with students.

Thank you for all your suggestions; this is really helpful !

I've checked out some ESL resources (and I'm currently learning about teaching ESL children at uni), but a lot of the stuff I'm finding is classroom activities that look and feel like classroom activities (I'm not there to be their schoolmarm; they're supposed to have fun). Your suggestion that I can just tailor the games I already know to suit their English level is a real relief, and makes it all seem a little less daunting. (Not sure why I didn't really think of it myself.) Thanks for that.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Istari posted:

Your suggestion that I can just tailor the games I already know to suit their English level is a real relief, and makes it all seem a little less daunting.

When I tutored Japanese in college, one of the ways I helped drill numbers was by playing "Uso!" ("Lie!"; that is, Bullshit) with the students, though a few didn't know the game until I taught it to them. Finding ways to slip language into already-fun activities is a good idea.

Though ultimately, I echo above: the more you just use English around them, the more they'll just pick it up.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
I'm having problems with breastfeeding my 4 month old baby. She gets blood in her stools occasionally, and spits up a lot. Her pediatrician advised cutting out dairy and soy. I am pretty hardcore about this, and scrutinize ingredient lists and quiz waiters (I have stopped eating out so much due to this but I am in the middle of a big house move and do not have a great kitchen.) However she still gets some blood in her stools, although the spit-up has improved. She is also putting on good weight (previously she was not, probably due to the excessive spit up.)

I asked about this issue at her 4 month check up and he said if it didn't improve I should consider a special formula milk. I don't want to feed my baby formula. She has never had formula. I like breastfeeding, so does she, and my gut feeling is that it cannot be a good idea - the special formula is made of cow's milk (heavily broken down.) And if I lose my milk by using formula, I can't go back.

It is also really hard to follow this diet without much ability to cook. I'm hungry all the time :( Losing the baby weight no problem! :)

Anyone else had this issue, or know about allergies?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

DwemerCog posted:

I'm having problems with breastfeeding my 4 month old baby. She gets blood in her stools occasionally, and spits up a lot. Her pediatrician advised cutting out dairy and soy. I am pretty hardcore about this, and scrutinize ingredient lists and quiz waiters (I have stopped eating out so much due to this but I am in the middle of a big house move and do not have a great kitchen.) However she still gets some blood in her stools, although the spit-up has improved. She is also putting on good weight (previously she was not, probably due to the excessive spit up.)

I asked about this issue at her 4 month check up and he said if it didn't improve I should consider a special formula milk. I don't want to feed my baby formula. She has never had formula. I like breastfeeding, so does she, and my gut feeling is that it cannot be a good idea - the special formula is made of cow's milk (heavily broken down.) And if I lose my milk by using formula, I can't go back.

It is also really hard to follow this diet without much ability to cook. I'm hungry all the time :( Losing the baby weight no problem! :)

Anyone else had this issue, or know about allergies?

Have they checked for other issues? Blood in the stool is not only caused by food allergies.

That said, I was wheat, dairy, soy, corn, egg, and potato free for a long time because of my son's allergies while I breastfed him. It can definitely be done, but it is hard at times.

You can still cook a lot of things even in a crappy kitchen. Do you have a rice cooker? That was a big help to me. You can buy frozen precooked chicken and throw it in a microwave if you have access to that.

Take a good multivitamin, eat a lot of vegetables and fruits, make smoothies with coconut milk yogurt. Cook with lots of olive oil. I ate a lot of chicken and rice with veggies and fruits for the sides. Tinkyada make delicious rice pastas.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. My 8-year-old son is still allergic to eggs, dairy, sesame, and pecans but eats a wide variety of foods and is very healthy.

dreamcatcherkwe fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 17, 2013

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
I do not have any gadgets like a rice cooker or a blender. I have a stove, microwave and refrigerator. In two weeks I move into our new apartment and can have any gadget I like.

Before cutting out "wheat, dairy, soy, corn, egg, and potato" I'd use the formula milk, because that'd be pretty much impossible. I'm eating a lot of fruit and veg but it makes me feel horrible - overfull, farty and hungry at the same time!

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

DwemerCog posted:

I do not have any gadgets like a rice cooker or a blender. I have a stove, microwave and refrigerator. In two weeks I move into our new apartment and can have any gadget I like.

Before cutting out "wheat, dairy, soy, corn, egg, and potato" I'd use the formula milk, because that'd be pretty much impossible. I'm eating a lot of fruit and veg but it makes me feel horrible - overfull, farty and hungry at the same time!

Ah, if you're not willing to cut anything else out of your diet then I'd just suggest you switch to the formula. There are hypoallergenic ones you can try if you're worried about the milk allergy. Your doctor should be able to advise you on the best type. I can assure you that cutting those things out of one's diet is not impossible though, as I did it for over two years. ;) YMMV though.

I'd also be at the doctor's a lot more frequently until there is no longer blood in your baby's stool. That's a pretty serious sign of a problem and ignoring it isn't a great idea.

ETA: I just gave you the foods MY son was allergic to. A real elimination diet would be wheat, nuts, peanuts, shellfish, dairy, egg, soy-free. The potato and corn are weird things my kid ended up reacting to but most people's kids are fine with them. Two weeks on an elimination diet and then adding one food back in at a time to watch for reactions is the recommended course of action. A lot of babies are sensitive to wheat so I wouldn't be surprised if it was that one.

dreamcatcherkwe fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 17, 2013

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

I'd also be at the doctor's a lot more frequently until there is no longer blood in your baby's stool. That's a pretty serious sign of a problem and ignoring it isn't a great idea.

If I was ignoring it would I have seen the pediatrician 3 times about it and posted here, and cut an absurd amount of things out of my diet (remember it is not just milk/soy but ALL milk/soy byproducts including obscure additives)? I am not ignoring it.

But maybe I should. I'm wondering if this is such a big deal. Is a little bit of blood a big deal now she is putting on weight well? The pediatrician didn't seem greatly bothered about it, as long as she is putting on weight well (which she is.) She's happy and growing well.

Probably I am just being overanxious.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Breastfeeding is great and all but if your baby is passing blood in their stools that should take priority. You shouldn't just settle for blood in the stools now and then. Gaining weight and not spitting up as much is great and you're on the right track, but don't just ignore passing blood. Your doc was the one who brought up the formula so I wouldn't be so quick to say the doctor isn't concerned. If nothing else think of how much happier and calmer your baby will be if she has a happy digestive tract.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

DwemerCog posted:

If I was ignoring it would I have seen the pediatrician 3 times about it and posted here, and cut an absurd amount of things out of my diet (remember it is not just milk/soy but ALL milk/soy byproducts including obscure additives)? I am not ignoring it.

But maybe I should. I'm wondering if this is such a big deal. Is a little bit of blood a big deal now she is putting on weight well? The pediatrician didn't seem greatly bothered about it, as long as she is putting on weight well (which she is.) She's happy and growing well.

Probably I am just being overanxious.

When I was on my son's diet, I also avoided every single tiny amount of his allergens so I know it can be obnoxious.

Has your doctor checked for other common causes of blood in the stool?

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bloodystool/

OK, I went back and read some of your previous posts. Your baby had weight gain problems until less than a month ago. I would either do a full elimination diet or find a formula that agrees with your baby. August 20th you said she had weight gain issues. It hasn't even been a full month of her putting on weight well. Shrugging it off seems like a huge mistake.

dreamcatcherkwe fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 17, 2013

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
The doctor suggested formula in a sort of "If you are really worried, we can do this" sort of way, not "You must do this for the health of your baby." I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so I try not to go crazy on this medical stuff. For a start, I don't want to overmedicate my daughter and make her a hypochondriac too. She's too young to know for now, but y'know, start as you mean to go on.

I can see now why breastfeeding rates are so lousy. It seemed so easy before I started. Any sign of trouble and everyone is "Use formula!" I'm breastfeeding as easily as can be, no pain after week 2, plenty of milk, baby latched like a pro from birth, but it's still not easy.

Sorry if this is overemotional, but I am hungry and it makes me a bit emotional.

As for the other possible causes, it's not a cracked nipple, she's not constipated, my supply seems to pretty much match her appetite, and she's not sick in any way. So I guess it must be an allergy, and I'm guessing she must be allergic to something else/in addition to milk.

I've been googling stuff it could be and frankly, it could be any number of very common foods. You get a lot of mums on the internet who seem to have cut out everything but white rice and steamed lamb. They seem a bit overenthusiastic about it as well, as if it was some awesome new diet they are on. I find diets in general to be neurotic and never intended to be on one. I'm too neurotic to risk picking up sort of eating disorder. I eat widely and healthily. Ironically I've stepped up my junk food intake, because you have to eat something, and junk food always has very clear lists of ingredients.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Have you checked her for tears or taken her to the pediatrician on a day she had blood in the stool to have the ped check for tears? Even if not constipated babies can manage to get fissures (don't ask me how, I only know this because it has happened to me) and then that causes blood in the diaper of course, without it actually being blood in the stool. Of course that only applies if it looks red ;)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Giving your baby formula will not make her a hypochondriac. Frankly I would get a second opinion and/or try the formula if you're not willing to do an elimination diet. I get not wanting to worry overmuch but bloody stool is not something I would ignore.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Can you try the formula and pump in the meantime to keep your supply?

Personally I'd make a big batch of chicken and rice with some sautéed veggies and eat that for two weeks to judge improvements. If it worked, then you know what you have to do.

Sometimes babies bellies get stronger as they get older too. I eliminated dairy for 6 months or so and then gradually added back in.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

DwemerCog posted:

I've been googling stuff it could be and frankly, it could be any number of very common foods.

Our 10 month old son had the same problem. Egg's seem to be a big factor for him. My wife cut out all dairy including eggs. She uses alternative milks. Find a vegan restaurant near you for when you want to go out. It makes life much easier not having to quiz the waiter.

Once you get your own kitchen life will be easier but you still have to read every ingredient label for the next year.

http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/enf1...=1&r=3556919023

That is the formula our doctor gave us 2 cans of as a sample. We've never had to use it. It's the one you will want though. It's pretty expensive.

Be careful of junk food. Most types of chips for example have dairy in them for some reason. If I'm correct it will also take almost a week for dairy to be out of your system.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 18, 2013

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Hdip posted:

Our 10 month old son had the same problem. Egg's seem to be a big factor for him. My wife cut out all dairy including eggs. She uses alternative milks. Find a vegan restaurant near you for when you want to go out. It makes life much easier not having to quiz the waiter.

Could be eggs. I've been eating a lot more because when you cut something out, you have to add something. Vegan is a no-go, because vegan restaurants use a tonne of soy.

Hdip posted:

Once you get your own kitchen life will be easier but you still have to read every ingredient label for the next year.

I already am!

Hdip posted:

Be careful of junk food. Most types of chips for example have dairy in them for some reason. If I'm correct it will also take almost a week for dairy to be out of your system.

Plain potato chips generally don't have dairy, (yes I read the labels) so I've been eating a lot of them, because they are the only snack I can be confident in when I go out.

I've been doing this diet for longer than a week - a month in fact - and things were getting better,then I saw specks of blood in her diaper again. (we are not talking a lot of blood or else I'd be more worried - just tiny streaks.)

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:

frenchnewwave posted:

Personally I'd make a big batch of chicken and rice with some sautéed veggies and eat that for two weeks to judge improvements. If it worked, then you know what you have to do.

Excellent idea! Go to a few hearty and filling basics and start from there. Afterwards you can slowly start to introduce new foods and will hopefully identify the problem. If the Dr. thought you REALLY needed to switch to formula he would have made that clear.

DwemerCog posted:

I can see now why breastfeeding rates are so lousy. It seemed so easy before I started. Any sign of trouble and everyone is "Use formula!" I'm breastfeeding as easily as can be, no pain after week 2, plenty of milk, baby latched like a pro from birth, but it's still not easy.

Yeah, I don't know why there seems to be such a mistrust of breast milk. It was frustrating for me too. Hang in there!

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

mcknitknot posted:

Excellent idea! Go to a few hearty and filling basics and start from there.

This is difficult for the next two weeks due to lack of access to a good kitchen, lack of access to a good supermarket, and no time due to trying to run a small business, move apartment and raise a baby.

I also do not have the temperament to go hungry - it makes me upset and a bit crazy (which should be apparent from my posting!)

mcknitknot posted:

Yeah, I don't know why there seems to be such a mistrust of breast milk. It was frustrating for me too. Hang in there!

I just found out from my husband that he had a milk allergy as a baby, too, and was fed on soy formula (being formula fed from birth.) This is encouraging to me as a world of vegan foods open up if I can have soy.

It is possible that my baby is only allergic to milk and I let a milk product slip through somehow. I have only eaten out once in the last week, at a supposedly vegan food truck. But I guess I might have had some processed food with hidden dairy (I scrutinize labels but there are a lot of obscurely-named additives that are processed from milk in some way.)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I'll be honest, I don't see how cooking chicken (place on pan, sprinkle with herb, cook) and eating veggies (you can even get microwavable ones that'll steam themselves) is taking up more of your time than anything else you might be eating.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Ben Davis posted:

I'll be honest, I don't see how cooking chicken (place on pan, sprinkle with herb, cook) and eating veggies (you can even get microwavable ones that'll steam themselves) is taking up more of your time than anything else you might be eating.

Compared to takeaway it does! Also microwaved vegetables turn my stomach, ugh. My steamer is in storage.

Don't get me wrong, I am a good cook and I like to cook, and I like to cook healthy. Most people I know think I am a health nut (I am not.) But right now it is very hard.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

You don't seem like a good cook if literally every single suggestion here is too much work for you. If my baby were bleeding out his rear end, I'd be jumping to fix it.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

But wait, aren't you the person who couldn't use a sling because rings were too complicated, couldn't use a soft structured carrier because buckles were too complicated, and couldn't use a mei tei because you don't know how to tie knots? Thank goodness for slip-on shoes, I guess!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cause when you have a young baby, and you're moving, and you're working, and you're starving and the baby is crying and being fussy and you're stressed out and sometimes the only peace you get currently in your life is when you're on the toilet or the 5 minutes you have to eat your dinner, you don't want to eat chicken breast and steamed vegetables. You want something normal and tasty to enjoy in that sliver of time you have that just your own to enjoy for a brief moment.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

DwemerCog posted:

Compared to takeaway it does! Also microwaved vegetables turn my stomach, ugh. My steamer is in storage.

Don't get me wrong, I am a good cook and I like to cook, and I like to cook healthy. Most people I know think I am a health nut (I am not.) But right now it is very hard.

Do you have a freezer? Rice and veggies (or pasta and veggies) freezes well. Make a batch on the weekend (it takes all of 20 minutes) and freeze in baggies. Microwave when hungry. Done.

How about Chinese food? Every Chinese takeaway place I've seen can do steamed rice with veggies. And on the cheap. Lots of Indian places also have vegan options. PB&J can be a quick and filling breakfast. Toast and honey. I think it's definitely possible. It might take a teeeny amount of :effort: for two weeks, but in the long run it will serve you well -- that specialty formula is incredibly expensive and it might not even be necessary.

Also, this...

hepscat posted:

...if your baby is passing blood in their stools that should take priority. You shouldn't just settle for blood in the stools now and then. .. If nothing else think of how much happier and calmer your baby will be if she has a happy digestive tract.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Alterian posted:

Cause when you have a young baby, and you're moving, and you're working, and you're starving and the baby is crying and being fussy and you're stressed out and sometimes the only peace you get currently in your life is when you're on the toilet or the 5 minutes you have to eat your dinner, you don't want to eat chicken breast and steamed vegetables. You want something normal and tasty to enjoy in that sliver of time you have that just your own to enjoy for a brief moment.

Then switch to formula, which is a perfect safe food for babies. Seriously, feeding breastmilk that has ingredients the baby is majorly allergic to to the point where there is blood in the stool is SO MUCH WORSE than giving formula. Either eliminate foods OR feed formula. Feed the baby something the baby can tolerate.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Then switch to formula, which is a perfect safe food for babies. Seriously, feeding breastmilk that has ingredients the baby is majorly allergic to to the point where there is blood in the stool is SO MUCH WORSE than giving formula. Either eliminate foods OR feed formula. Feed the baby something the baby can tolerate.

I'm not the person that posted, but I had to switch from breast feeding to fomula feeding due to a personal medical problem and it can be absolutely soul crushing when you've been fed since before you were pregnant that you're a selfish monster if you don't breast feed.

I'm just saying cut her some slack. Its a crappy situation to be in between trying to do whats best for your baby and do whats best for yourself mentally.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Elimination diets suck a lot. Soy and Milk are particularly annoying because they seem to be in everything and not always under names that make it obvious what they are. On top of that they take forever to get out of your system.

My son started having issues with his stool around 5 months old and I eliminated dairy and soy. This was really hard for me because I eat a ton of dairy. I eat a lot of yogurt and cheese, I drink a ton of milk, ice cream is my favorite. But I did it anyway because breastfeeding was important to me but so was having a healthy kid. While eliminating I was eating a lot of chicken and veg or PB in oatmeal. We went to visit family for Thanksgiving and at that point I had been on the elimination diet for long enough for the dairy and soy to be out of my system but there was no improvement. A few days into the trip his diapers got better.

It was interesting because I had planned to stay off the dairy/soy for a while and then do the full on eliminate everything diet after the trip (because trying to eliminate every possible allergen when I was out of town and 100% of my food was cooked by other people was too daunting to me) and bring things back in one at a time. I didn't want to START with eliminating everything right off because what a giant pain would that be if it turned out milk was the issue- you could potentially end up eating an extremely limited diet for like 3 or 4 weeks straight. So I wanted all the milk/soy out of my system before I tried eliminating all the other possibilities since they take less time.

After getting home it occurred to me that I hadn't had any peanut butter on the trip. So I stopped eating peanut butter and started eating dairy and soy again and everything was good after that.

If the blood is coming and going and isn't in every diaper you really should try being EXTREMELY careful with the dairy and soy elimination and then write down everything you eat to see if there is a pattern. Most other things don't take nearly as long to get out and therefore it is easier to just eliminate all the major allergens, see if problem goes away, then add in one thing at a time to make sure it stays away.

Or, if that is too much work, formula.

enitsirk fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 18, 2013

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Parenting 101: Blood belongs on the INSIDE of the baby.

I would say if you're not willing to change your diet then changing to formula is probably the best thing. I would have probably done the same if Emily had a milk allergy because goddamn I love dairy and I am weak willed. There are still plenty of ways to get the closeness with bottle feeding.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Honestly next time just post and say "hey guys can you back up my opinion and tell me what I want to hear so I don't have to feel guilty?" Instead of asking for advice and then shooting down every bit of help you get? It'd save a lot of time and aggravation.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Alterian posted:

Because none of us in the parenting thread have ever experienced any of these things. Jesus Christ.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

frenchnewwave posted:

How about Chinese food? Every Chinese takeaway place I've seen can do steamed rice with veggies. And on the cheap. Lots of Indian places also have vegan options. PB&J can be a quick and filling breakfast. Toast and honey. I think it's definitely possible. It might take a teeeny amount of :effort: for two weeks, but in the long run it will serve you well -- that specialty formula is incredibly expensive and it might not even be necessary.

I am going to a LOT of effort. I am certainly eating things like toast and honey, duh. You probably don't know this but most bread has soy and milk products in it (I am carefully picking the expensive hippie brands that don't). Most Chinese food is packed with soy, Indian cooking uses a lot of ghee. You ever asked a waiter or server to ask the kitchen whether something has milk, butter, soy, yogurt, cream or cheese in it? It gets garbled in translation. They can usually manage not to serve stuff with dollops of sour cream on it, but I'm pretty sure they are not scrutinizing the ingredients on sauces (they are busy people.)

Rice and veggies I can do on my own stove (and do, but by God, eating like that for a month makes a person hungry.) I know I can live on rice cakes and plain water for a month, but my own weight is crashing, and it makes me grouchy at everyone. My baby needs a happy family as much as anything. Some women with babies like this seem overjoyed that they can practice mortification of the flesh to prove their love for their babies, but I don't think that's a healthy way to be. I'm feeding the baby from my body, so my body needs good ingredients to make good milk.

I was concerned about the baby sling not because of EFFORT but because I am a klutz and think that my baby, for her own safety, needs a more secure option. I know this is hard to understand for people who are not klutzes. If I dropped my baby while tying a knot I am not capable of, you'd all blast me for being an idiot. You have to know yourself and your capabilities. She's growing into the Ergo nicely now.

If you are imagining my baby pouring blood, while I shrug, please don't. This is tiny streaks about once a week, that you can only see if you are peering at the diaper like a witch doctor examining chicken entrails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Schweig und tanze posted:

Honestly next time just post and say "hey guys can you back up my opinion and tell me what I want to hear so I don't have to feel guilty?" Instead of asking for advice and then shooting down every bit of help you get? It'd save a lot of time and aggravation.

I've got some good advice among the guiltfest. Thanks enitsirk for starters.

Alterian posted:

Thanks for the sympathy, but I'm not really having problems with the regular baby stuff. I do eat stuff like chicken breast and steamed vegetables (well, boiled). I am having a problem eating that every day when there is a lot of non-baby stuff going on in my life. I'm moving apartment and living in a small sublet with limited cooking facilities while overseeing renovations and working. Even chicken breast and steamed vegetables is harder than people here assume. I'm following the diet obsessively, nonetheless. It is helping a lot. However it is not working perfectly.

DwemerCog fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 18, 2013