Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Do never buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

On the one hand, do never buy. On the other hand, I don't think Santa Rosa has really recovered yet. My mother-in-law bought an apartment there at the peak of the boom (against our advice) and is still underwater. I don't know if that means Santa Rosa is still going up, or if it will not get back to the peak prices, but I guess my point is, there's still upside in the area and not as much downside as in the hyper-inflated markets in the bay area.

HUD houses aren't really a thing in the bay area or surrounding areas.

I think $350k can get you a home, but if you are set on buying, you will need to adjust your expectations downward. I'd say don't be too discouraged, we're coming off a hot buying summer and the prices may soften a bit during the winter (although inventory will also drop). Keep looking, don't give up yet, give yourself a few months to shop and you'll have a much better chance at finding what you want.

Also, Zillow can be a useful tool, but it's not MLS. If you aren't working with a realtor yet, take a look at Redfin. Zillow's info tends to lag behind reality, it can make some really bad estimates at times, and nobody should actually use it for making buying decisions.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
OK, so we hate it up north...wife and I are thinking of picking up stakes and moving to Austin Texas area. Can anyone tell us something about it the area? Also, will anyone suggest a good realtor? One of the things we want to do is get a property with a lot of acreage, and ideally low property taxes(since acreage costs money right?). We'd like to build a long distance shooting range on the property for personal use(think 600 yards shooting). I know that I am going to get torn to poo poo over this, but its something I've always dreamed of doing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Do you have a couple million dollars in the bank?

Allow me to poke a few holes in your plan.

1: Texas is a no income tax state, so our property taxes are pretty high. Not as high as some of those crazy East Coast states, but estimate 2.7% of the properties value annually. I bought my house for about 160K and it's tax value is around 143. I pay about 4,000 a year in property taxes. Unimproved land is pretty cheap tax wise though but still something to consider.

2: Austin Real Estate is insane right now. You're not going to get what you're looking for anywhere close to Austin. 30+ minutes out maybe, but then you have to deal with the special kind of hell that is Austin traffic if you're working in the city. I'm not even sure if your gun range idea is feasible. Yes it's Texas but you'll probably have to be out in an unincorporated area to do something like that.

Seriously though, Austin is a 'cool town' if your into one of the local scenes, but it's insane right now. There are tons of very high paying jobs moving into the city and the city can't keep up with the growth.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also you should not buy a house in a city you've never lived in before. What if you hate it? Rent for a year or two, and then you'll have some basis to decide if it's the city you want to live in for the next 8 to 10 years.

e. Or rural area, since you apparently want a big plot of land to shoot guns on.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
To pile on about Austin: My employer is consolidating offices and moving "headquarters" to Austin. Part of this is offering a bunch of people working remotely/at other offices in CA, Denver, and Boston relocation packages.

The average salary for the people who will be moving to Austin is ~$150-$175k. Half of them want to live downtown and the other half want a McMansion in the burbs.

There are at least 10 other companies drawing the same types of salaries there through relocations/staff-ups. I'm staying far away.

Endestroy
Jun 3, 2013
In general, if you own over 40 acres you may shoot on your land anywhere in the state. Over 10 acres is permissible in unincorporated ares as well as many incorporated areas.
Property taxes are high, but if you have over 10 acres you can potentially apply for an 'open-space land' exemption which will drastically reduce your property taxes. You'll still pay taxes on the house, but all that extra land will be fairly cheap, tax-wise.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Redfin is saying my house is worth $211k lol nope

I bought it in March for $160k and it appraised at $165k. Unless it has somehow appreciated 28% in 7 months, that number is fantastically wrong. Zillow is Zestimating my house at $173k, which seems reasonable. Chase says it is $175k. The market here has been selling really hot, however, so if I got it appraised for real it might kick up an irrational number.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Redfin is saying my house is worth $211k lol nope

Redfin doesn't really do automated estimates.

The estimate tool tries to dig up nearby homes that sold recently, and have comparable beds/baths/etc. After that, it's pretty important that you pluck out the bad comps, pick better ones, and tweak all the knobs.

bartkusa fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 17, 2013

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

That makes sense. Based on the available houses, I got my estimate more in line with my house's likely value.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

lord1234 posted:

OK, so we hate it up north...wife and I are thinking of picking up stakes and moving to Austin Texas area. Can anyone tell us something about it the area? Also, will anyone suggest a good realtor? One of the things we want to do is get a property with a lot of acreage, and ideally low property taxes(since acreage costs money right?). We'd like to build a long distance shooting range on the property for personal use(think 600 yards shooting). I know that I am going to get torn to poo poo over this, but its something I've always dreamed of doing.

Please don't buy without spending at least one summer here to see if you can take it. Seriously, I have friends who move here thinking "Alright, I make a decent salary but don't have to pay coastal prices to live in a cool city :dance:" and then summer hits and it's 100 loving degrees for months on end (the summer I moved here it was over 100 degrees for something like 90+ days in a row) and they run screaming or stay and piss and moan endlessly about the heat. Now you may go "Oh I've dealt with hot before hyuck :downs:" but unless you've lived someplace like Arizona, no, no you haven't.

Real estate market here is currently turbo-powered insane and it's impossible to predict if the bubble will pop or if enough companies moving here will finally push us into LA/SF/Seattle territory, pricewise.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 17, 2013

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If I were to buy a house is there a reason to not buy outright vs loan keep stock in Exxon? I'm looking to save driving 1.5 hours five days a week and 3 hours for my gf. Rent is currently $910 a month, looking at house for $70-90k range.

House payments look like they would be $600-700 with 20% down depending on flood insurance rulings and gf can pay $250 a month that I would put back to savings. Between driving and rent looks like it would benefit around $600-700 a month?

Thanks for advice

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Christobevii3 posted:

If I were to buy a house is there a reason to not buy outright vs loan keep stock in Exxon? I'm looking to save driving 1.5 hours five days a week and 3 hours for my gf. Rent is currently $910 a month, looking at house for $70-90k range.

House payments look like they would be $600-700 with 20% down depending on flood insurance rulings and gf can pay $250 a month that I would put back to savings. Between driving and rent looks like it would benefit around $600-700 a month?

Thanks for advice

I'm confused. Do you have 90,000 dollars worth of Exxon stock that you would be selling to buy a house outright and you are asking if you should take a loan instead of selling the stock? One of the financial whiz's around here would probably answer that question better, but I would hold on to the stock and take the loan.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Real estate market here is currently turbo-powered insane and it's impossible to predict if the bubble will pop or if enough companies moving here will finally push us into LA/SF/Seattle territory, pricewise.

My uneducated opinion is nothing short of a dot com bubble burst in the tech sector will stop the run away train that is Austin real estate.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

skipdogg posted:

I'm confused. Do you have 90,000 dollars worth of Exxon stock that you would be selling to buy a house outright and you are asking if you should take a loan instead of selling the stock? One of the financial whiz's around here would probably answer that question better, but I would hold on to the stock and take the loan.

I spoke to my accountant this month about the best way to sell stock to buy a house and avoiding taxes. He advised me that as long as you can put 20% down to avoid PMI you are better leaving the money in the market and paying interest. In my area I could get a 15 year fixed mortgage with an interest of around 3.5%. My portfolio is up around 12%, the tax deduction for mortgage interest doesn't suck either. So I would be ahead 8.5% on my investment by putting money in the market over paying cash for a house. I am also under thirty so my savings goals are more long term and I can afford to be a little riskier with my investments.

But looking at the mortgage calculators and seeing how much of my payment would go towards interest still makes me uneasy.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
If Exxon doesn't work out, you can always sell it and invest in something more promising. Probably not as easy to do with greater home equity.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Keep in mind that mortgage interest is 1) tax deductible, and 2) largely unavoidable unless you pay significantly more toward your balance each payment. If you really want to avoid it, buy it with cold, hard cash.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Yeah, take the loan for sure

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If more than like 10% of your net worth is invested in a single stock - even a blue chip - you're taking on a hell of a lot of risk. You might want to stop by the stock picking thread and/or the long-term investing thread to discuss strategies for diversifying your portfolio.

Also, past performance does not guarantee future returns, etc. etc.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

skipdogg posted:

My uneducated opinion is nothing short of a dot com bubble burst in the tech sector will stop the run away train that is Austin real estate.

I'd agree with this. It kind of feels like a bubble situation but a lot of the companies here and moving here are fairly solid. I mean, Apple's not exactly Flooz.com. I'd say the traffic situation would be kind of a throttle on it but everyone in LA seems content to sit in traffic for hours all the time.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I'd agree with this. It kind of feels like a bubble situation but a lot of the companies here and moving here are fairly solid. I mean, Apple's not exactly Flooz.com. I'd say the traffic situation would be kind of a throttle on it but everyone in LA seems content to sit in traffic for hours all the time.

Traffic is the #1 reason why I'm reconsidering buying a house in Austin, I'm sad to say. In the past few years my commute has gotten progressively worse. Plus, no one at city council seems to care about getting GOOD public transportation in place. We're so busy building all these condos but it seems like no one is considering how the people will get around, other than by another car on the streets.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Lixer posted:

Traffic is the #1 reason why I'm reconsidering buying a house in Austin, I'm sad to say. In the past few years my commute has gotten progressively worse. Plus, no one at city council seems to care about getting GOOD public transportation in place. We're so busy building all these condos but it seems like no one is considering how the people will get around, other than by another car on the streets.

That's why I'm pretty happy with university hills. My wife's job is just across 183, I can take Springdale->MLK to get downtown, and am going against traffic the majority of the time. Plus in theory they are going to put a rail terminus of some sort around Mueller, someday.

On that note, I saw an SUV of some kind with a grenade sticker at a property for sale up the block from me. I don't want you guys dragging down my property values.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't actually live in Austin, I commute from Schertz to our office there a few days a week. When I leave though 183N is always complete gridlock. I have no idea how those folks up in Cedar Park/Leander deal with it every day. A lady who lived up that way told me her and her husband were paying 20 dollars a day in tolls almost so they didn't lose their mind in traffic. They found a closer rental home eventually.

I can't move there though, anywhere without a crippling commute to the office around 183/Braker I can't afford. I'm not a 6 figure earner like most folks in the area, and at most I could afford a 200K house. That's going to put me out way north, or way south, and honestly if I have to move to Kyle, I might as well stay in Schertz. I don't have to be in the office 5 days a week though, so it isn't so bad for me.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I got a quote for a new wooden fence last night, and it seems kind of high. I'd like your opinions:

The fence is 60 ft total, 1 gate, 4 feet tall, and the price includes removal of the existing chain-link. The price quoted is $1400.

The guy said we'd get a better deal if we did the fence along the opposite property line as well, but I haven't had an opportunity to make a deal with that neighbor to split the cost.

Anyways, Homewyse is suggesting that the average install price for a wooden fence in my zip code is $16.68 per ft, so 60 ft is roughly $1000. That leaves $400 for removal of the chain link, waste disposal, and a gate. Does that sound reasonable at all?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd be amazed if I could get it done here for under twice that, so I may be a bad judge.

So yeah, $1400 seems like a fine price.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I don't actually live in Austin, I commute from Schertz to our office there a few days a week. When I leave though 183N is always complete gridlock. I have no idea how those folks up in Cedar Park/Leander deal with it every day. A lady who lived up that way told me her and her husband were paying 20 dollars a day in tolls almost so they didn't lose their mind in traffic. They found a closer rental home eventually.

I can't move there though, anywhere without a crippling commute to the office around 183/Braker I can't afford. I'm not a 6 figure earner like most folks in the area, and at most I could afford a 200K house. That's going to put me out way north, or way south, and honestly if I have to move to Kyle, I might as well stay in Schertz. I don't have to be in the office 5 days a week though, so it isn't so bad for me.

183 and Braker, you say? If you don't need a large house, check out Lamplight Village (Parmer east of Mopac, within walking distance of Fry's, 1970's construction). For a while there were a number of houses for sale and rent, all under $200k. And behind/near/surrounding that is Scoffield Ridge. No idea what the prices are there but it's the same area.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

I got a quote for a new wooden fence last night, and it seems kind of high. I'd like your opinions:

The fence is 60 ft total, 1 gate, 4 feet tall, and the price includes removal of the existing chain-link. The price quoted is $1400.

The guy said we'd get a better deal if we did the fence along the opposite property line as well, but I haven't had an opportunity to make a deal with that neighbor to split the cost.

Anyways, Homewyse is suggesting that the average install price for a wooden fence in my zip code is $16.68 per ft, so 60 ft is roughly $1000. That leaves $400 for removal of the chain link, waste disposal, and a gate. Does that sound reasonable at all?
Depends on materials. Get a second bid and see how close it is.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

It would probably take one person a few hours at least to take down that much chain link fence, load it up into a trailer and haul it away. If that's worth your time, you have a trailer, why not do it yourself and see how much he knocks off?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dogen posted:

On that note, I saw an SUV of some kind with a grenade sticker at a property for sale up the block from me. I don't want you guys dragging down my property values.

There's some surf or skateboard company with grenade stickers. I see them around here a lot. Just FYI.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Is there any way to beat the flippers on foreclosures? A couple times now I've seen a brand new bank-owned listing and in the day or two it takes to call the agent and arrange a viewing, it's sold. Is it just pretty much impossible to grab one of these deals without putting down money sight unseen?

Mutande
May 3, 2006
Why don't you get a sponge?
Stupid question I know, but I've never owned a house and am looking. When you renew your mortgage after X amount of years, is the new mortgage for the new amount I owe (hwat I've already paid off) or what the original amount I borrowed?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Mutande posted:

Stupid question I know, but I've never owned a house and am looking. When you renew your mortgage after X amount of years, is the new mortgage for the new amount I owe (hwat I've already paid off) or what the original amount I borrowed?
The term is refinance. You get a new loan to pay off your old loan.

And yeah, it's for the original amount minus what you have paid off, i.e., the principal remaining on your old mortgage.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

From his terminology I'm guessing Mutande is from Canada where they do those weird 5 year mortgages I'm not familiar with.

Mutande
May 3, 2006
Why don't you get a sponge?
I am, sorry should of specified.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is there any way to beat the flippers on foreclosures? A couple times now I've seen a brand new bank-owned listing and in the day or two it takes to call the agent and arrange a viewing, it's sold. Is it just pretty much impossible to grab one of these deals without putting down money sight unseen?

Why does your agent take two days? Find a new agent. HUD foreclosures give preference to owner occupiers. There should be some of those around. I am not sold on foreclosures are always the best deal wagon though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Elephanthead posted:

Why does your agent take two days? Find a new agent. HUD foreclosures give preference to owner occupiers. There should be some of those around. I am not sold on foreclosures are always the best deal wagon though.

I'm not specifically looking for foreclosures, just this has come up in the area in which I am looking - a house in just the location I want to be and holy cow what a great deal, even if it needs $30k worth of work it would still be worth it. And the two days, for example this listing went up Monday. I email the agent on Tuesday and say I'm interested, let's look on Wednesday when I'm not working. Today is Wednesday and it's already sold. Not that it would matter if I had been able to look the day it went up because it would have taken longer than Mon-Wed to give an initial look, call my inspector, get it inspected, and make a decision anyway.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 18, 2013

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Well with a minimal amount of haggling I got him to $1200, and then said I'd talk to my wife about it.

I could try the demo myself, but I have a feeling it would piss me off, so I think I might just take the $1200 offer.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

Ugh. Two weeks out from closing and now the owner is procrastinating moving out. I'm going to be furious if I busted my rear end for a quick close (in order to win the bid) only to have it hosed up by a lazy seller.

Taking possession on Friday. Anyone have any tips/tricks for (*changing) locks on sliding glass doors?

*edit*

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 19, 2013

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We put a couple cut-off closet rods in the track of ours the day of closing. Even a 2x2 or 1x1 cut to length would work, and keeps the door from sliding open. The doors have locks themselves, but just a latch lock in the handle, nothing keyed at all.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

PitViper posted:

We put a couple cut-off closet rods in the track of ours the day of closing. Even a 2x2 or 1x1 cut to length would work, and keeps the door from sliding open. The doors have locks themselves, but just a latch lock in the handle, nothing keyed at all.

Yeah, I planned to do that already. I don't recall offhand, but one of the sliding glass doors is facing the side of the house, so if it has a keyed lock in it, do you know how hard it would be to get that lock changed? I'm handy enough to change locks on my own, and even swap cylinders in a lock. Just wondering if it would be better to just toss my hands up in a case like this and call a locksmith to do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If it has a keyed lock, the lock cylinder can be replaced. Most likely by opening the door and removing screws from the side. I've never seen a keyed lock on anything that couldn't be replaced in some way or another.

Now, whether it takes a cylinder you can just buy at Home Depot, or whether you have to special-order something online, I dunno. But I bet a call to a locksmith will answer the question for you.