Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
More likely it's because it's entirely irrelevant to the plot and was just edited out for pacing issues. If Switch were a primary character it may have come forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

:geno: "Not like this. Not like this." has become a go to quote for whenever anything bad is happening for me thanks to Switch. One of the best famous last words in cinematic history.

One-hundred percent agreed. That line/delivery was brilliant.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, honorable mention to Hudson's last line from Aliens: "Come on! Come and get it! Come on! Let's go, yeah! YEAH! Come on! Come and get it, bastards! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? Take it! Yeah, gently caress you!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

WampaLord posted:

:geno: "Not like this. Not like this." has become a go to quote for whenever anything bad is happening for me thanks to Switch. One of the best famous last words in cinematic history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECfRp-jwbI4

:allears: It's right up there with the awesome extra moments this thread loves to gush over!

Still more lines than Apoc. He had what, two, three words total spoken?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Choco1980 posted:

Still more lines than Apoc. He had what, two, three words total spoken?

"Hi, I'm Apoc."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

oldpainless posted:

"Hi, I'm Apoc."

And like "What?!" or something when his plug is pulled.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Spalec posted:

Why didn't that make it in? I think that would have been an interesting little plot point, especially considering Lana Wachowskis gender reassignment.

That's the difference between The Matrix and its sequels in a nutshell, isn't it? In The Matrix they discard an interesting and personal side plot because it's irrelevant to the film as a whole and hurts the pacing, while in the sequels they just crammed any old idea in that interested them regardless of if it was interesting or pulled off well.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's the difference between The Matrix and its sequels in a nutshell, isn't it? In The Matrix they discard an interesting and personal side plot because it's irrelevant to the film as a whole and hurts the pacing, while in the sequels they just crammed any old idea in that interested them regardless of if it was interesting or pulled off well.

That's rationally irritating though. So many directors make great films while under studio pressure, then once they do well enough and are given full control they churn out self indulgent wank forever more.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
See: Peter Jackson, the Movie King Kong.

I love dinosaur fights as much as the next person, but man, do those scenes drag on.

e: To be clear, the 2005 remake.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Sep 18, 2013

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
My biggest problem with the King Kong remake is that the whole boat part before they arrive at the island just goes on, and on and it never seems to end. I actually liked the ps2 game more than the movie.

Why weren't the female diplomats in Argo wearing hijabs when they were in public and trying not to attract attention. I'm pretty sure at the time that part takes place, women were legally required to wear one. Also, how come that one shopkeeper in the Bazaar scene acts like a scary, irrational, screaming, hysterical crazy person just because one diplomat starts taking pictures of his store. It was way over the top and no one acts like that. I'm probably just biased because I'm Canadian but I hate how Ken Taylor is reduced to a minor character even though he played a much bigger role in getting the diplomats out than Tony Mendez and the CIA did. Even Jimmy Carter called the movie out on that. That scene at the end where they go "Yay, we couldn't have done it without Canada" seemed really tacked on and felt like it was put there because someone told Ben Affleck that the rescue of the diplomats was called The Canadian Caper for a reason.

At least it's still better than Black Hawk Down about giving credit to nations other than America. I haven't seen Black Hawk Down, but my history teacher who showed us Argo said that he couldn't finish Black Hawk Down because of how much it got wrong and how racist it was towards Somalis.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Celery Face posted:

My biggest problem with the King Kong remake is that the whole boat part before they arrive at the island just goes on, and on and it never seems to end. I actually liked the ps2 game more than the movie.

Why weren't the female diplomats in Argo wearing hijabs when they were in public and trying not to attract attention. I'm pretty sure at the time that part takes place, women were legally required to wear one. Also, how come that one shopkeeper in the Bazaar scene acts like a scary, irrational, screaming, hysterical crazy person just because one diplomat starts taking pictures of his store. It was way over the top and no one acts like that. I'm probably just biased because I'm Canadian but I hate how Ken Taylor is reduced to a minor character even though he played a much bigger role in getting the diplomats out than Tony Mendez and the CIA did. Even Jimmy Carter called the movie out on that. That scene at the end where they go "Yay, we couldn't have done it without Canada" seemed really tacked on and felt like it was put there because someone told Ben Affleck that the rescue of the diplomats was called The Canadian Caper for a reason.

At least it's still better than Black Hawk Down about giving credit to nations other than America. I haven't seen Black Hawk Down, but my history teacher who showed us Argo said that he couldn't finish Black Hawk Down because of how much it got wrong and how racist it was towards Somalis.

The shop-keeper acting like that wasn't really surprising at all to me. I've traveled a bit myself and I can tell you that even today most locals can't stand when a tourist comes through a shopping street or bazaar just to take pictures, especially without asking their permission. In a charged atmosphere like Tehran 1979 I'm sure it would escalate pretty quickly if it was a bunch of white people who could have been Americans.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Celery Face posted:

I still can't believe that Affleck though that casting himself to play a latino because "Oh, well, he looked white :downs:" was totally cool. It's really meta that a movie about a Hollywood movie being used as cover for a diplomatic mission is itself so Hollywood that it hurts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I still can't believe that Affleck though that casting himself to play a latino because "Oh, well, he looked white :downs:" was totally cool. It's really meta that a movie about a Hollywood movie being used as cover for a diplomatic mission is itself so Hollywood that it hurts.

He was only in the movie because his chosen actor dropped out. Also Tony Mendez says he doesn't have any issue with Affleck playing him.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Another problem I had with Argo is that a shitload of the dialogue made me think "Come on, no one talks like this." I know it's a movie but it's a really basic rule that characters are supposed to talk somewhat like real people. This was probably just me but I was distracted by the fact that Ben Affleck only had like 4 facial expressions throughout the film.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Celery Face posted:

Another problem I had with Argo is that a shitload of the dialogue made me think "Come on, no one talks like this." I know it's a movie but it's a really basic rule that characters are supposed to talk somewhat like real people. This was probably just me but I was distracted by the fact that Ben Affleck only had like 4 facial expressions throughout the film.

This is me watching every Kevin Smith movie ever. I don't know why people like his movies, the dude is a super annoying nerd.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

He was only in the movie because his chosen actor dropped out. Also Tony Mendez says he doesn't have any issue with Affleck playing him.

It's cool, my black latino friend said it's OK!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I can't believe Rob Schneider put himself in yellowface in 2007. And no, Rob Schneider, being half Filipino doesn't stop it from being racist as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdja5DSb2O8

This is something I'd expect from Breakfast At Tiffany's and at least that movie was released in 1961.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

You have rather high expectations for Adam Sandler movies.

radiatinglines posted:

This is me watching every Kevin Smith movie ever. I don't know why people like his movies, the dude is a super annoying nerd.
Yeah, same goes for me, as well as for pretty much Joss Whedon's entire oeuvre. At least Whedon doesn't require two airplane seats though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Celery Face posted:

The quite rightfully forgotten U-571 is the king of "Americans did everything important that ever happened ever" films.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Celery Face posted:

Don't ever read Pasternak, I suppose.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Celery Face posted:

The movie was pretty faithful to the book, and Mark Bowden did a really good job on the book. Bowden had access to really good primary sources, and I'm not sure what your history teacher was on about. Was he using Zinn as a text?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The movie was pretty faithful to the book, and Mark Bowden did a really good job on the book. Bowden had access to really good primary sources, and I'm not sure what your history teacher was on about. Was he using Zinn as a text?
No, he didn't like how the Malaysian and Pakistani forces were kind of getting ignored despite the fact that they played a big role too, how the Somalis in the movie didn't even look Somali or speak the right language and how it was treated as much sadder when an American soldier dies even though thousands of Somalis died. But then again, a lot of movies tend to treat it as more important when American/British people die, especially The Impossible.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Celery Face posted:

But then again, a lot of movies tend to treat it as more important when American/British people die, especially The Impossible.

If they wanted to be seen an important, they'd be less brown.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow

radiatinglines posted:

I liked Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back when I was a dumb 14 year old. Trying to watch it as an adult is just painful.

The movie is terrible for legitimate reasons, but my irrational hatred is for the amount of cuts Kevin Smith uses during dialogue. It's like pick a camera angle and stick with it, stop cutting back and forth between each person with every line! And it's always some lovely medium shot with the actor facing the camera square on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tin Miss posted:

I liked Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back when I was a dumb 14 year old. Trying to watch it as an adult is just painful.

The movie is terrible for legitimate reasons, but my irrational hatred is for the amount of cuts Kevin Smith uses during dialogue. It's like pick a camera angle and stick with it, stop cutting back and forth between each person with every line! And it's always some lovely medium shot with the actor facing the camera square on.

Its amazing seeing that he has not developed as a director at all. If he filmed Clerks now it would look the same.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Speaking of Jay and Silent Bob, I get mad at the bit where the hot chick (Jays soon to be girlfriend) walks into the restaurant and sees the cup on his erection, and immediately cracks a joke and shakes his hand. People don't work like that.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Celery Face posted:

Another problem I had with Argo is that a shitload of the dialogue made me think "Come on, no one talks like this." I know it's a movie but it's a really basic rule that characters are supposed to talk somewhat like real people.
I have to make a conscious effort to not get really annoyed by this poo poo. It's like that in pretty much every political thriller ever, and it drives me nuts. Politicians aren't all stoic and constantly owning each other with bon mots in private; they're pretty much as goofy and bumbling as anyone else.

What I've seen of House of Cards is full of this stuff, though it is a lot worse in poo poo based on real events.

And yeah, Kevin Smith dialogue becomes pretty insufferable once puberty finishes having its way with you.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Watching End of Watch at the moment and did they really need the whole stupid wearing minicams etc.
They could have used the close up shaky cam style etc to make it all seem more realistic and all that without the silly wearing cans for what near a year(?)

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

kinmik posted:

Holy poo poo. I remember that movie, but was never actually able to put a name to it. For some reason, in later years my teenage brain supplied "The Hunt for Red October". :psyduck:

And yeah, that miscarriage thing stuck with me for years, as well as a scene in which the orca ripped a leg off a woman? I must have been like six when I caught bits of it on television. Good ol' childhood trauma.

Sorry to double post but a few years ago my step daughter( who was 6 at the time) woke up from a bad dream so I let her lay on the sofa for a bit. I switch my game off and put on tv, it's around 11:30 and Orca's on it looks harmless enough so I leave it on then BLAM whale miscarriage all over the deck.
Needless to say it freaked the poor girl out worse than her nightmare....

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Sorry to double post but a few years ago my step daughter( who was 6 at the time) woke up from a bad dream so I let her lay on the sofa for a bit. I switch my game off and put on tv, it's around 11:30 and Orca's on it looks harmless enough so I leave it on then BLAM whale miscarriage all over the deck.
Needless to say it freaked the poor girl out worse than her nightmare....

When I was 7 my aunt was watching my cousin and I, and she put on Deliverance for us to watch. She thought it was a "camping adventure" movie.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
drat, Orca got a lot of us. I wonder what modern movie will be the next Orca for our kids. gently caress, at my old Hollywood Video, Ninja Scroll was in the anime and cartoon sections. How many parents rented that for their kids and left them to watch, before the screaming started?

Let The Right One In, American version: okay, I am cool with the location and all changes, and the fact that Eli is a girl entirely, but what threw me after I read the book was that in the movie, it's pretty clear her adult caregiver is just a kid she picked up years ago, as she's doing to the main character, who lives pretty much as her servant/friend, but mostly the former. In the book, it's disturbing, but Eli meets with a criminal, Hasan, and gets him off the drugs and booze to be the caregiver, knowing he's a sick pedo, but convincing him never to touch Eli. So yes, the attempted rape zombie thing was really weird as gently caress, but better than the idea that Eli is just a literal monster who goes through unlife picking up various loner kids, keeping them as servants until they get too old, and then gets a new friend. In the book, you get the idea that Eli actually wants a friend, and I believe the author was pretty disturbed at the film's ending, to the point he's releasing a sequel soon showing that Eli and Oskar are friends, and Oskar isn't meant to be a slave to Eli for the rest of his life.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought she would find a caregiver and reciprocate what they wanted as long as they were her Renfield. Hasan wanted a little girl he could do gross pedo stuff to, and she obliges. Oskar wanted a friend, so she became his friend. If she wasn't his friend, she probably wouldn't have gone to the swimming pool at the end. I got the feeling she genuinely cared for Oskar in a way she didn't for Hasan.

How is the book? I never got around to reading it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It's really great. If you liked the movie you should read the book.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

bobkatt013 posted:

Its amazing seeing that he has not developed as a director at all. If he filmed Clerks now it would look the same.

To me, the most absolutely insufferable part is when, in Chasing Amy, he has Silent Bob (who is of course played by Kevin Smith himself) suddenly deliver this overlong, grandiloquent speech that makes everyone stare at him like he's a goddamned boddhisatva come out from under the tree and saves the day in a single massive deus-ex-machina self-affirming ego shart.

I really can't stand the guy.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Sep 19, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

To me, the most absolutely insufferable part is when, in Chasing Amy, he has Silent Bob (who is of course played by Kevin Smith himself) suddenly deliver this overlong, grandiloquent speech that makes everyone stare at him like he's a goddamned boddhisatva come out from under the tree and saves the day in a single massive deus-ex-machina self-affirming ego shart.

And it's really just an extension of the self-wank of his from Clerks, where he's silent until suddenly at the end where he gives this out of nowhere deep homily telling Dante what we all already knew but he refused to tell himself.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

There's a deleted scene in Chasing Amy where Kevin Smith owns a strawman of film critics who criticized him: Two comic book store clerks criticize the main character's comic book using exact quotes from negative reviews of Smith's movies, and his response is to smash up their store and then write a check to pay for the damage with a note reading "I can do this because I'm rich as gently caress, suck it losers nobody cares what you think :smug:"

His ego is almost as big as his jorts.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Watching End of Watch at the moment and did they really need the whole stupid wearing minicams etc.
They could have used the close up shaky cam style etc to make it all seem more realistic and all that without the silly wearing cans for what near a year(?)

Yeah, and the setup is that it's for a class too. Must be a really forgiving class.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Sagebrush posted:

My irrational Kevin Smith Wank moment would be like half of Dogma. In which Silent Bob:

Beats up the skater demon kids in his intro.

Knocks out the rubber poo demon twenty seconds after Salma Hayek refers to it as Hell's best assassin or whatever.

Bodily grabs two angels and throws them off a train. He's not even winded enough to refrain from a pithy one liner afterwards.

Murders the Jason Lee demon because he had a blessed golf putter.

And of course that movie just being Smith complaining that he wants to be a good Catholic while having premarital sex and indulging in drugs. Which don't get me wrong do what you like to do but don't expect me to pay money to watch your 14 year old's complaints about your chosen church.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
Another one from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back:

The girl thieves are supposed to be all super hot and badass. You've got Eliza Dushku, Ali Larter, Shannon Elizabeth and then...the other one. I never understood why the skinny long-faced girl was in the group until somebody pointed out that it's Kevin Smith's wife.

He probably thought he was being a cool husband, like "Look, my wife's hot enough to be in the hot girl group", but to me it seems really mean putting her next to three good looking sort of well-known actresses and expecting people to buy it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I always thought she would find a caregiver and reciprocate what they wanted as long as they were her Renfield. Hasan wanted a little girl he could do gross pedo stuff to, and she obliges. Oskar wanted a friend, so she became his friend. If she wasn't his friend, she probably wouldn't have gone to the swimming pool at the end. I got the feeling she genuinely cared for Oskar in a way she didn't for Hasan.

Book is pretty drat good. There's some disturbing poo poo with Hasan coming back as a zombie, in a way of speaking, and trying to rape Eli and getting pretty close to it. There's also a part where Hasan, early on, pays a hustler to bring him a child to gently caress, but he can't bring himself to after finding the child prostitute has had all his teeth ripped out to make him more 'suitable' for his work. And the entire Eli was a physical boy, and there's some description about what happened with that.

But Hasan never actually touches Eli in the book, and I got the sense Eli really didn't like having to kill Hasan, and was really freaked out when she found out that Hasan wasn't fully dead.

I'm waiting for the sequel, Let The Old Dreams Die, which is supposedly to be about Oskar becoming a vampire too and the two of them staying together as friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tin Miss posted:

Another one from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back:

The girl thieves are supposed to be all super hot and badass. You've got Eliza Dushku, Ali Larter, Shannon Elizabeth and then...the other one. I never understood why the skinny long-faced girl was in the group until somebody pointed out that it's Kevin Smith's wife.

He probably thought he was being a cool husband, like "Look, my wife's hot enough to be in the hot girl group", but to me it seems really mean putting her next to three good looking sort of well-known actresses and expecting people to buy it.

If you ever listen to Kevin Smith's talks the dude loves bragging about how hot his wife is and how much awesome sex they have. Like, he has entire monologues about her rear end in a top hat.

Kevin Smith and Rob Zombie should team up and make a movie, it would just be two hours of their wives' asses on screen.

• Locked thread