Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I just really hope the next Saints Row is a remake of SR2. I really want to like SR2 but the gameplay is aging, and I can't get any of my friends to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Suzuki Method posted:

I just really hope the next Saints Row is a remake of SR2. I really want to like SR2 but the gameplay is aging, and I can't get any of my friends to play it.

As much as people would love this, I can't see Volition doing this, honestly. A remake of the first game, maybe, but even that's a stretch. I'm more willing to bet, as many have said, that if anything, we'd get a reboot/re-imagining of the series

Of course, a great way to do this, could be going pseudo-MGS2 on us, where someone is plugged into a virtual Stillwater, and made to go though everything The Boss went though, in order to see if 'anyone' can be The Boss.

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

I DO NOT EAT HUMAN FOOD; I ONLY EAT
PINE CONES

New Leaf posted:

Finally got this yesterday, having an absolute blast.

One question- I'm not a graphics snob by any means, but the close-ups textures in cut scenes are a bit rougher than I was expecting. If that's just how it is, that's totally fine- the game is amazingly fun and you don't even really notice it when everything is going on. I'm running on 1920x1080, Ultra graphics settings, and my character's features are almost fuzzy and jagged and the textures on the alien commander's armor early on almost look pixelated. Is this just a limitation of the port?

Are you sure it's not the intentional glitching going on due to the whole thing being a simulation?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
God gently caress the intentional glitching. Either it's poo poo that's constantly making me think my console is dying (which, y'know, it was) or it's the nightmare glitch-people. In a giant silly sandbox where I have superpowers, my reaction to enemies should not be OH GOD WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT, AAAAAAAHHHH, OH gently caress OH GOD OH GEEZ KILL IT KILL IT

Alien-controlled territory actually feels safer!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Magil of Shadow posted:

As much as people would love this, I can't see Volition doing this, honestly. A remake of the first game, maybe, but even that's a stretch. I'm more willing to bet, as many have said, that if anything, we'd get a reboot/re-imagining of the series

Of course, a great way to do this, could be going pseudo-MGS2 on us, where someone is plugged into a virtual Stillwater, and made to go though everything The Boss went though, in order to see if 'anyone' can be The Boss.
Alternate timeline SR1, where the boss doesn't get blown up with the boat and a few other things turn out different as well. The follow-up game would basically be an entirely new Saints Row in Stilwater, since SR2 as we know it wouldn't happen in this reality.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

PicklesMcGillicuddy posted:

Are you sure it's not the intentional glitching going on due to the whole thing being a simulation?

Unless they were intentionally blurring the faces during character creation.. doubtful. It isn't glitching- it's blurry and blocky, which is different. It's like the textures are turned down, but this is on Ultra. (Edit: And for the record, I'm not forcing my computer into Ultra, it auto-detects and runs smooth as silk other than the graphics weirdness.) The bit about the alien armor happened when the Boss is brawling with him right at the very beginning, which (I have to assume at this point) is pre-simulation. I also have a white outline against my hair where it meets set pieces in cut scenes. It was more evident during the walk down the hall to the presidential speech sequence just before the aliens struck.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 18, 2013

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

PINE CONES
I have that outline around my boss' hair as well, and the same thing happened in SRTT. Guess the game has graphics issues.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

New Leaf posted:

Unless they were intentionally blurring the faces during character creation.. doubtful. It isn't glitching- it's blurry and blocky, which is different. It's like the textures are turned down, but this is on Ultra. (Edit: And for the record, I'm not forcing my computer into Ultra, it auto-detects and runs smooth as silk other than the graphics weirdness.) The bit about the alien armor happened when the Boss is brawling with him right at the very beginning, which (I have to assume at this point) is pre-simulation. I also have a white outline against my hair where it meets set pieces in cut scenes. It was more evident during the walk down the hall to the presidential speech sequence just before the aliens struck.
On textures: unfortunately SR4 didn't put super HD textures into the PC release like some other recent games (Dishonored, bioshock, etc). So the textures are ok but not amazing. And if you haven't played many open-world games before, they always have much lower res textures than a game with discrete levels in the first place.

On blur: I think that's the DOF effect that you're seeing. You might actually be happier turning *down* the post-processing effects. But with the white outlines thing, you should also check your video drivers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The stupid wall-texture scrolling effect you get on pretty much every building in the city is more annoying than cool looking. I want to turn it off but nobody has found a way to do so yet.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Samurai posted:

Saint's Row V needs to be their version of Red Dead Redemption.

I feel like I've been waiting my whole life to put ground effects and a spoiler on a horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnF2ROKtdMY

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
:siren: If you have a Xonar sound card, the latest version (patch 9/16) has a major, but fixable, crash bug. :siren:
SR4 will crash at startup, generally before it even draws anything to the screen, and Steam will give the "can't start already running" popup. This crash happens because the Xonar drivers are trying to inject their EAX emulation software into the process and crashing the game. The EAX emulation in Xonar is known to be buggy, and unfortunately even if you disable the "GX" option in the control panel the injector is still active.

Solution 1: Open task manager, click Show processes from all users. Find HsMgr.exe (or possibly HsMgr64.exe) and force end process. Play SR4, repeat this every time you reboot.

Solution 2: Do #1, then use Start -> Run -> msconfig. Switch to the Boot tab, and uncheck all HsMgr.exe startup items. Or use regedit if you know where to look. Recommended because unless you play a lot of games from 10 years ago EAX emulation is a useless feature. No audio features of the soundcard besides EAX are lost by doing this.

Final Solution: Do 1 & 2, then delete HsMgr.exe from Windows\SysWOW64 and HsMgr64.exe from Windows\System. This might be needed if the asus control panel software ever tries to re-enable GX mode, it didn't in my short trial but I did this anyways. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
:regd11:

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 19, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My brother was over last night so I get him through the first few missions and he did something I didnt for the intro missions: He left the terrorist in the chair with the headphones on during the slow-mo shootout alive, and you can proceed. The guy is just rocking out and dancing in his chair. And one of the other terrorists was looking at Shaundi's playboy shoot. :v:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You don't elect emperors! :psyduck:

:thejoke:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I heard that the 360 version of this game, like the PC version, was graced with a "patch" that basically made it crash more than an Obsidian title on a go-kart track. Is that still a thing, or was it fixed/never real to begin with?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Alternate timeline SR1, where the boss doesn't get blown up with the boat and a few other things turn out different as well. The follow-up game would basically be an entirely new Saints Row in Stilwater, since SR2 as we know it wouldn't happen in this reality.

I was thinking about something like that too. Like an alternate universe where, say Gat dies instead of Lin in the SR1 part, then Donnie takes the place Aisha during the SR2 part, maybe have Shaundi or Pierce die instead of Carlos. Maybe even switch Kinzie and Matt Miller's roles during the SRTT part. Just little differences that would have a huge effect on the story.

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

PINE CONES

CJacobs posted:

The stupid wall-texture scrolling effect you get on pretty much every building in the city is more annoying than cool looking. I want to turn it off but nobody has found a way to do so yet.

The no glitching cheat doesn't do it?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking about the Boss's presidency today and the following scenes kept coming into my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG0qxRdTAw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvkBvzpbBPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTN6Du3MCgI

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

PicklesMcGillicuddy posted:

The no glitching cheat doesn't do it?

Using that disables achievements.

You know, because it makes the game so much easier.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

Using that disables achievements.

You know, because it makes the game so much easier.

If you install Idol Ninja's Additional Cheats, it won't.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

I was thinking about the Boss's presidency today and the following scenes kept coming into my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTN6Du3MCgI

Dammit, now I have to start a new game just to play the second mission as a pantsless Lincoln.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kibayasu posted:

People can feel guilt about something and, you know, recognize that its still just a video game and not be a complete emotional wreck. You're acting as if the people expressing discomfort with something in a video game must be emotionally maladjusted babies who can't separate fantasy from reality.

There's a difference between experiencing discomfort and feeling guilt. You can find a situation or action in a work of fiction disturbing or unsettling or uncomfortable, but guilt means that you feel like you have done a bad thing. If killing pretend people in a fictional story makes you feel guilty, you're reacting to it not like a story but like it's real life.

I think the Zimos missions are terrible, I don't like them, I find them unpleasant and distasteful. I don't feel guilty about anything that happens in the game because it's a video game and I haven't actually done anything wrong to anyone.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

There's a difference between experiencing discomfort and feeling guilt. You can find a situation or action in a work of fiction disturbing or unsettling or uncomfortable, but guilt means that you feel like you have done a bad thing. If killing pretend people in a fictional story makes you feel guilty, you're reacting to it not like a story but like it's real life.

People react to all sorts of things in completely different ways. Emotions aren't something that can be easily identified and categorized. Why is "guilt" the specific emotion you think its not right to feel when playing a video game? I can find pretend people in a video game funny or charming, but as soon as I express a desire for those same pretend people not to come to harm I'm some kind of mental deficient? If I find a pretend person infuriating or disturbing, am I now some kind of psychopath for wanting them to come to harm?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Oxxidation posted:

So I heard that the 360 version of this game, like the PC version, was graced with a "patch" that basically made it crash more than an Obsidian title on a go-kart track. Is that still a thing, or was it fixed/never real to begin with?
Fixed yesterday, apparently.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Tiggum posted:

I think the Zimos missions are terrible, I don't like them, I find them unpleasant and distasteful. I don't feel guilty about anything that happens in the game because it's a video game and I haven't actually done anything wrong to anyone.

This is woeful considering that games are really the only media which can utilise guilt (because its the only one in which you are an active participant rather than a passive observer). A lot of games are specifically designed to make you feel guilt (e.g. any 'choose your own adventure' game like the Walking Dead), or play jokingly on the way it is easy to elicit guilt in games (incinerating the cube in Portal). I think you are missing out on one of the important things games have to offer!

Of course here the player really has no choice - it's do that mission or stop playing - but the job of a game is to encourage player-character identification so you feel as if it is really 'you' doing things your character is doing. If that happens, it means the game is skilfully made and the player is engaging well, not that the player is some kind of oversensitive weirdo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, the only time I ever really felt guilt was that time I played NWN and defected to an enemy faction and basically lead all my friends into an ambush and eventually got them all killed, but not before I got myself killed like an idiot. We were roleplaying an italian family and I received a kiss of death from the don, it was very dramatic. :v:

Now let's see that in a video game and then I'll feel guilty about killing my drat pixels.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Of course here the player really has no choice - it's do that mission or stop playing - but the job of a game is to encourage player-character identification so you feel as if it is really 'you' doing things your character is doing.
The more defined a character is and the less choice you get in the matter, the less I feel like "drat that was an awful thing I did" and the more like that awful thing was what was always going to happen as defined by the game writers, and me pushing the buttons to make it happen is no different than pushing the play button on the DVD player. It's not me as a player choosing to shoot the hostages, the game's plotline simply demands that the hostages get shot. If the writers know their poo poo that happens to further some other plot goal down the line or demonstrate some point about the protagonist (Spec Ops: The Line comes to mind here), otherwise it's just a gratuitous bit of violence fluff. That human trafficking mission is pretty firmly on the fluff side, but it's also predetermined that you go and do it so I have a hard time feeling too beat up about it. It's morally outrageous, sure, but that's what the Boss does before breakfast.

GTA IV was pretty good about choices like that, come to think of it. Niko is strongly defined by the script, but you also get to define him further through choices in missions, and the outcome of each option is generally written well enough to feel natural.

e: I guess a better way to put it is that it's pretty good about choices when it deigns to give you some, but fails to do so often enough that it creates a pretty harsh contrast.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 19, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I tend to think Niko is the worst character to use as an example, since his actions are really disjointed with any of the gameplay.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Killing my Oblivion Dark Brotherhood family was the worst thing. Just as I was starting to like them. :smith:

So is it important to play Saints Row: The Third before this game? I kind of stopped after a while because the plot wasn't as engaging as SR2's and Shaundi became Gat mk.II for some reason?

Mordaedil posted:

I tend to think Niko is the worst character to use as an example, since his actions are really disjointed with any of the gameplay.

I stopped playing GTA IV when the annoying crime show guy and his cameraman got killed and Niko just made a crass comment about it. I guess I was supposed to find those characters insufferable, but they were pretty much the one of the most "innocent" aspects of the game and I didn't like their prescribed fate or my character's reaction to it.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 19, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
SRIV builds upon what happens in the Third and sort of restorescorrects the worst attrocities it commited.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Why is "guilt" the specific emotion you think its not right to feel when playing a video game?

Because guilt is feeling that you've done the wrong thing. If you hurt someone you feel guilty because you feel that you shouldn't have done that. If you're watching a movie and the protagonist kills some people you don't feel guilty because A) You didn't do it and B) They're not real, it didn't happen, no one actually died.

Kibayasu posted:

I can find pretend people in a video game funny or charming, but as soon as I express a desire for those same pretend people not to come to harm I'm some kind of mental deficient?

What? How is that even close to the same thing? To use the movie example again, you can be sad that those characters died without actually blaming yourself for it or feeling like anyone was actually harmed. This is the ability to separate reality from fiction.

This is woeful considering that games are really the only media which can utilise guilt (because its the only one in which you are an active participant rather than a passive observer). A lot of games are specifically designed to make you feel guilt (e.g. any 'choose your own adventure' game like the Walking Dead), or play jokingly on the way it is easy to elicit guilt in games (incinerating the cube in Portal). I think you are missing out on one of the important things games have to offer!

You can feel sad about it without feeling guilty about it. Guilt is not the same as wanting it to not have happened.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Tiggum posted:

Because guilt is feeling that you've done the wrong thing. If you hurt someone you feel guilty because you feel that you shouldn't have done that. If you're watching a movie and the protagonist kills some people you don't feel guilty because A) You didn't do it and B) They're not real, it didn't happen, no one actually died.

Except in alot of games, you did do it. You pushed the buttons and performed the bad thing. The characters not being real isn't really a problem with eliciting an emotional response. Do you not read books and feel something? Most people do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kokoro Wish posted:

So is it important to play Saints Row: The Third before this game? I kind of stopped after a while because the plot wasn't as engaging as SR2's and Shaundi became Gat mk.II for some reason?

It's probably skippable if you don't want to play it, but it builds enough on it that you would benefit from playing it first.

I remember someone said that the end of the Deckers storyline (the mission named "http://deckers.die") is the 'sweet spot' for SR3 experience, and I'd say that's about right. There's still decent missions and things that are mentioned in 4 afterwards, but it's nothing you can't pick up from context.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Except in alot of games, you did do it. You pushed the buttons and performed the bad thing.

You may as well blame yourself for turning the page in a book. Pretend that Boromir lives as long as you never read The Two Towers. It's nonsense, the book's written, the story plays out the same way whether you personally read it or not.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Do you not read books and feel something?

Not guilt.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tiggum posted:

You may as well blame yourself for turning the page in a book. Pretend that Boromir lives as long as you never read The Two Towers. It's nonsense, the book's written, the story plays out the same way whether you personally read it or not.

I think video games are a little different. Even though the storyline and your actions may be predetermined by the developers, you have to actually click the buttons to "make things happen". It's not the same as turning pages in a book, because you can't turn a book's pages "wrong". With a game, you're taking the role of the character who's actually doing things, instead of just following the story of characters who do things.

There's a Hitchcock movie that I can't remember the name of (:mad:) where a lady is murdered and the camera is shooting over the shoulder of the murderer. It's an unusual perspective for a film, and I've seen a reviewer describe it as "making the viewer complicit in the murder". That's not the same kind of thing (the film is going to play without your taking any action), but it's similar.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

You know, it's funny. In games with morality systems, I'm always going to go for the Good/Light Side/Paragon options because I feel bad when I pick the Evil/Dark Side/Renegade (unless it's badass or funny) options. But in GTA style games? I go full on douchebag with no problems.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Since Spec Ops was brought up before, I think that had a point to make about how the line between 'not real' and 'real' outcomes of pushing buttons is increasingly blurred and it is hard to separate one from the other emotionally. I agree that the mission in SR3 is not likely to elicit much guilt, because yes, the only choice you had was either to play or not play, but in games in general, I think guilt is very important.

Tiggum posted:

You can feel sad about it without feeling guilty about it. Guilt is not the same as wanting it to not have happened.

In The Walking Dead, there is a point where a child has been infected and needs to be killed before turning. I let the kid's mother go away into the woods to do it, instead of going myself or sending the father, both of which were alternative choices. She shot herself instead. I was responsible for the decision and therefore her death. Is it your claim that I can only feel sad but not guilty about this because it was not real (thereby excluding guilt from all games)? Or is it OK in this case because I was really making a decision, but in SR3 I wasn't?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sometimes things happen that make you have emotional reactions. Sometimes different people have different reactions to things. Are we really having an argument telling people that they're wrong for feeling a way about a thing? And sperging about what is the correct term for the specific emotion? Come on, people.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Or is it OK in this case because I was really making a decision, but in SR3 I wasn't?
If you ask me, yeah, that's the difference. You had options, you picked one, and it went badly, but any option would have progressed the game. In SR3 your only option is to do the mission or not do the mission and essentially give up on finishing the game. The mission end choice is a bit of an edge case; beyond the monetary reward you're never shown any consequences of your choice, but you can pick up on enough contextual stuff that you might be happier with one choice over the other; you can say "at least with me they're unionized and I know they'll be alright in the Saints" or "welp I guess I sold them out" (or also "what kind of bullshit justification is that union thing"). And like I said, GTA IV doesn't give you a whole lot of choices, but the ones you do get always have minor to major consequences. (They also always feel like the wrong choice because it's GTA but that's a different issue.)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Starhawk64 posted:

You know, it's funny. In games with morality systems, I'm always going to go for the Good/Light Side/Paragon options because I feel bad when I pick the Evil/Dark Side/Renegade (unless it's badass or funny) options.

For me, going Good™ just means getting more rewards and stuff; in games where this isn't penalized, you feel a lot more free to play it however you want, which is nice. I mean, sometimes in SRIV I'll drive perfectly, sticking to the right lane, slowing down in traffic etc, but sometimes I do the exact opposite, and the fact that the game okays both approaches makes it lots of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It'd be funny if you got respect points for stopping at traffic lights and keeping under the speed limit.

• Locked thread