Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

Doom's still-active modding community means it's one of the few games with truly infinite replayability.

There's always something new to do!

If, by some crazy force of will, you play through the near two decades worth of custom content for Doom, there's always Quake's modding community as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TerminusEst13 posted:

Doom's still-active modding community means it's one of the few games with truly infinite replayability.

There's always something new to do!

Like play it on a piano!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJu997jwBcA

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

They need to map the controls so that playing the E1M1 theme correctly results in finishing the level.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Samsara is awesome fun but Duke's explosive shotgun and devastator seem overpowered. Admittedly I never played Duke 64 so never saw the explosive shotgun, and the devastator was super powerful in Duke 3D, but running it off cells just makes it feel like it gets too much ammo. It's not a big concern cause it's not like balance is totally crucial in a singleplayer game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Samsara is awesome fun but Duke's explosive shotgun and devastator seem overpowered. Admittedly I never played Duke 64 so never saw the explosive shotgun, and the devastator was super powerful in Duke 3D, but running it off cells just makes it feel like it gets too much ammo. It's not a big concern cause it's not like balance is totally crucial in a singleplayer game.

My brothers and I had a moratorium on using the explosive shotgun in multiplayer. It's practically a railgun and rocket launcher combined, including damage.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

How much ammo does the Devastator get? Because didn't the original only get like a hundred rounds, and it could blow through it in a couple of seconds?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Samsara is awesome fun but Duke's explosive shotgun and devastator seem overpowered. Admittedly I never played Duke 64 so never saw the explosive shotgun
The explosive shotgun was stupidly OP in Duke Nukem 64--it had the shotgun's rate of fire and accuracy, with the strength of a dead-on rocket. Stupidly OP. It's really telling that I've had to nerf the thing about three times and it's still quite troublesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfvIs_dSLxc

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How much ammo does the Devastator get? Because didn't the original only get like a hundred rounds, and it could blow through it in a couple of seconds?
It uses two Cells per shot, so 150 ammo sans backpack and 300 with backpack. Still quite blow-worthy.

It's not a big concern cause it's not like balance is totally crucial in a singleplayer game.
Samsara is multiplayer-focused, though! I'd like to make every character viable both alongside and against each other, so I'm really quite happy to hear feedback of what people think is OP and what isn't. I've been tweaking with both the XSG and Devastator for 0.3, too... :3:

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 18, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

My youngest brother's first experience with Duke Nukem was Duke Nukem 64, and the shotgun with explosive rounds was his favorite weapon, all because it was dumb and overpowered. He was actually a bit disappointed when he finally got around to playing Duke Nukem 3D proper and it lacked the weapon. Other weapons have secondary ammo as well, or were changed completely, like the pistol getting some stronger dum dum rounds, a grenade launcher that replaces the RPG, a missile launcher that replaces the Devastator with both standard and heat-seeking missiles, and a plasma cannon that replaces the freezethrower and has a chargeable shot.

It also wasn't broken up into episodes, so the whole thing needed to be beat from beginning to end, and only went as far as the end of the third episode, with two stages from the fourth serving as secret levels. It's a pretty good game, if only to see a weird, less "mature" Duke Nukem game. Hell, you don't even miss the Devastator because explosive shotgun rounds were more common and way too strong.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Samsara is multiplayer-focused, though! I'd like to make every character viable both alongside and against each other, so I'm really quite happy to hear feedback of what people think is OP and what isn't. I've been tweaking with both the XSG and Devastator for 0.3, too... :3:

I've been using it to play as other characters in vanilla single-player campaigns of these games, and it's still goofy fun. Having an infinite ammo starting weapon breaks those games pretty hard, though. I'm sure Chexen isn't supposed to be that easy when you can just not melee anybody in the first stage at all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mercury Crusader posted:

I've been using it to play as other characters in vanilla single-player campaigns of these games, and it's still goofy fun. Having an infinite ammo starting weapon breaks those games pretty hard, though. I'm sure Chexen isn't supposed to be that easy when you can just not melee anybody in the first stage at all.

Play vanilla Hexen as a mage. You get an infinite ranged weapon which fires super-fast rippers. Drawback: it deals like one half point of damage, so using it is an extremely monotonous exercise in plinking monsters to death. (On the other hand, if you have huge hordes of monsters and you can get them to stand in a line, then since the projectile is a ripper, it may very well be the fastest way to kill them all as it won't take that much longer to slaughter them all than to slay a single one.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cat Mattress posted:

Play vanilla Hexen as a mage. You get an infinite ranged weapon which fires super-fast rippers. Drawback: it deals like one half point of damage, so using it is an extremely monotonous exercise in plinking monsters to death. (On the other hand, if you have huge hordes of monsters and you can get them to stand in a line, then since the projectile is a ripper, it may very well be the fastest way to kill them all as it won't take that much longer to slaughter them all than to slay a single one.)

Also, his third weapon goes from floor to ceiling at all times, so you can hit things down drops or behind ledges with it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

TerminusEst13 posted:

The explosive shotgun was stupidly OP in Duke Nukem 64--it had the shotgun's rate of fire and accuracy, with the strength of a dead-on rocket. Stupidly OP. It's really telling that I've had to nerf the thing about three times and it's still quite troublesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfvIs_dSLxc

It uses two Cells per shot, so 150 ammo sans backpack and 300 with backpack. Still quite blow-worthy.

See for some reason I get 300 cells without backpack and 600 cells with backpack, so I can fire the devastator for 10 friggin years. It's the same in heretic and doom. I haven't knowingly modded the game at all to get that cells limit, I don't know if something else like brutal doom affected my overall doom or what. My only thought for balancing stuff more would be to make the explosive shotgun use cells, and use a bunch per shot, cause right now it does more damage for less ammo than the rocket launcher does. Then make the devastator work more like the firemace works in samsara, using rocket ammo, so it fires off a couple of bursts for each rocket used. But there's a bunch of flaws with those ideas too, cause it'd be a huge pain to not have full control over how many bursts you fire with a weapon that can splash damage you.

edit: i feel like I should give some better examples of what i mean with the rocket launcher vs explosive shotgun thing. they're gonna be from heretic cause that's what i've been playing:

- I can kill an iron lich (which I think is baron of hell equivalent, maybe even more hp) with 3 explosive shotgun shots up at close-mid range. those guys take a hell of a lot of killing in base heretic unless you have a tome of power and the hellstaff. I think it's so quick to kill them with the xp shotgun because they occupy multiple in-game squares (or whatever the right term is) so they get hit more, which is why they are easy to kill with the hellstaff tome rain. Or maybe i'm full of poo poo.

- the weredragons take juuuust over 1 rocket to kill, so it takes 2 rockets to kill a single, undamaged weredragon, whereas I can kill one in one hit with the explosive shotgun.

- the spread means it is easier to kill a big crowd of say, gargoyles or golems, with the xp shotgun than with the rocket launcher. I think this is because even though the rocket launcher has a bigger splash, the different projectiles/hitscans of the shotgun mean it spreads out wider and can hit at multiple depths, so in an uneven crowd can hit through gaps to get monsters behind. The damage from a couple of pellets is enough to kill these basic monsters so it works out more effect than using the rocket launcher.

so basically for big and little monsters the explosive shotgun seems flat out better than the rocket launcher, the only place it isn't is single target damage at long range, which you don't see to often, and the devastator does better anyway.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 19, 2013

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Devastator consumes two ammo per shot. Hence, 150 or 300 shots, even though you're carrying double that in ammo.

It's still absurdly powerful given the ammo consumption, but I think that makes up for the Freezethrower being crap.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

finalgirl posted:

So, I spent the last few days reading through this whole thread. It inspired me to download GZDoom and a bunch of WADs, which has been a complete loving blast. Brutal Doom is gnarly, and I really dig Reelism as well.

Then today, like so many others, I picked up my copy of GTA5. After I got home from work I popped it in the PS3 and played for a couple hours.

It's really cool...but now, taking a break, I kind of just want to play some more Doom. :allears:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25836

Do try project MSX too! I honestly like it more then Brutal Doom, tho' you cant beat that hilariously juvenile as gently caress vibe it gives by telling a cyber demon to go gently caress himself. :getin:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I asked a while back and didn't get any feedback, but am I the only one who has a broken HUD with MSX? On multiple computers running on GZDoom, I have issues with the mod telling me that I'm running in an unknown resolution, even though the resolution is an ordinary one like 1366x768 or 1920x1080. It causes the console to be spammed with errors whenever I am hit and the game draws a "shields up" sprite.

Totenstille
Nov 15, 2012

Shadowmorn posted:

Do try project MSX too! I honestly like it more then Brutal Doom, tho' you cant beat that hilariously juvenile as gently caress vibe it gives by telling a cyber demon to go gently caress himself. :getin:

Will do! I think I bookmarked it earlier when I was reading, it looks rad.

For all the silly, rip-and-tearin'-huge-guts craziness of BD, I think my favorite part is actually rescuing the captured Marines. The first time I saved one with a rocket launcher he almost immediately blew me up while rushing to splatter a bunch of imps :v:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

If I knew how to properly sprite rip, I'd give him guns that look vaguely more futuristic. (Mostly ripped from PLanetside 2 and Killzone :V)

^ I hate rescuing the one Marine in Doom 2's third level secret, because he immediately goes to the teleporter and I wind up telefragging him, because DooM AI can't get off heights. :sad:

The guy who did Russian Overkill is doing a Heretic mod, where you're essentially Booker DeWitt, if Booker DeWitt was an angry dragon with guns.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Hey, does anyone here know if there's a native Mac version of the V2-branch of Chocolate Doom? Really want to try to play Strife.

vvv Blah, thought as much. Thanks anyway!

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 19, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

NuclearPotato posted:

Hey, does anyone here know if there's a native Mac version of the V2-branch of Chocolate Doom? Really want to try to play Strife.
You'd likely have to compile it yourself, as the only pre-compiled builds seem to be for Windows. Sorry!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Project MSX is pretty awesome, albeit really hard. I keep blowing myself up with grenades like a fool.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
MSX is indeed incredibly difficult. I've been playing through Plutonia and it demands quite a lot of patience to ensure every heavy grunt is dispatched before you move on.

The Nail Shotgun and Gauss Sniper are massively useful and fun to use.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So what do you guys think of ZDoom Wars?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
How's eRampage now? I thought I saw that it had some work done fairly recently? Last time I tried it out it was really unfinished, and several items didn't work right, instead acting as Duke3D items and weapons.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

In Duke3D, is there a sector effector for instant death or did you use a special "this is space, if Duke is in a sector with this texture kill him" texture? I forget exactly how you did it in space maps.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
It's whatever sky texture the first few maps of episode 2 use (except when the palette is set to some value that I don't remember)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

In Duke3D, is there a sector effector for instant death or did you use a special "this is space, if Duke is in a sector with this texture kill him" texture? I forget exactly how you did it in space maps.
As I recall, it happens if the sky is a specific space texture as long as you didn't apply an alternate palette to it. The original plan was to have a space suit inventory item that disabled this effect, similar to Scuba Gear, but it ended up only being needed for a single room in the entire game, so they applied a palette to the sky in that room to disable the effect and added some visual justification, then cut the suit entirely.

The pickup sprite's still among all the pickups in the "Zoo" example map that came with BUILD!

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

xanthan posted:

So what do you guys think of ZDoom Wars?

I'd tell you if I could get it running. Does it not work with gzDoom? There's fuckall documentation to be found.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

daft punk railroad posted:

It's whatever sky texture the first few maps of episode 2 use (except when the palette is set to some value that I don't remember)

So I guess it'd be feasible to make a "mine field" where you had a bunch of nested sectors that were tiny enough to not be seen, then put the space texture on them? It seems like it'd be possible, kind of like how if you make a tiny sector at the player start with a lava texture it takes the player's pistol away.

Speaking, why exactly does the lava texture work like that if you put it at the player start? I always thought that was one of the weirder quirks of Duke3d's BUILD engine.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Scyther posted:

I'd tell you if I could get it running. Does it not work with gzDoom? There's fuckall documentation to be found.

It's a multiplayer mod for Zandronum, actually! Pretty RTS-esque.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

TerminusEst13 posted:

It's a multiplayer mod for Zandronum, actually! Pretty RTS-esque.

Boy do I have an egg on my face. I'm too used to just downloading poo poo and dragging it onto gzdoom.exe and expecting it to work.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

So I guess it'd be feasible to make a "mine field" where you had a bunch of nested sectors that were tiny enough to not be seen, then put the space texture on them? It seems like it'd be possible, kind of like how if you make a tiny sector at the player start with a lava texture it takes the player's pistol away.

Speaking, why exactly does the lava texture work like that if you put it at the player start? I always thought that was one of the weirder quirks of Duke3d's BUILD engine.
I'm 99.99% sure it's because it comes under the same category in the game code as the electric floor texture which is used in E1L3's electric chair, which also removes the player's equipment.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I really like ZDoom Wars, but the problem with any strategy game for me is that I lose interest while other people become too interested. I started playing it with a friend and we were both complete newbies, and it was a blast. A few weeks later, he kept playing against strangers while I did other things. Now he can wreck me every time and I don't feel like playing.

It removes the "I'm good at FPS so I can put up a fight even if I took a break from computers for 2 years" barrier.

Anyone having trouble getting it to run, just sort by wads in Doomseeker and join a server that starts with "ZDoomWars".

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I love ZDoom Wars, but im just really bad at it and get killed all the time on the servers that i find.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but does anyone remember that FPS that came in a cereal box of some kind? You fought green alien blobs or something. It may be nostalgia blurring my vision, but I'm almost certain that it was pretty decent for just being a promotional thing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

That would be Chex Quest.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Amulets and Armor is thinking about upresing.. We've been talking about it over in the A&A thread, but you guys have probably thought about this more than I have... what are your takes on it?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but does anyone remember that FPS that came in a cereal box of some kind? You fought green alien blobs or something. It may be nostalgia blurring my vision, but I'm almost certain that it was pretty decent for just being a promotional thing.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

That would be Chex Quest.

Which was a doom mod, hence a part of it actually being pretty good.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Keiya posted:

Amulets and Armor is thinking about upresing.. We've been talking about it over in the A&A thread, but you guys have probably thought about this more than I have... what are your takes on it?

All for anything that makes A&A more playable because it's a neat game. Thanks for the thread link too, hadn't seen it.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

The Kins posted:

The pickup sprite's still among all the pickups in the "Zoo" example map that came with BUILD!
And the HUD graphic is still in the art files!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Heads up for anyone looking for UT99 mods to play with: Be careful with Operation: Stingray. I had it installed and it played fine, but when I booted UT99 up today after not playing it for a while, the Botmatch option would crash whenever I clicked on it. Turns the crash happened because Stingray was loving up for some reason whenever I tried to open the Botmatch menu. I deleted the .u and .int files for it, and the Botmatch menu worked like normal again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Been playing some doom 64 ex, but the lack of reloading animations and some enemies is bumming me out. Anyone know if there are mods for it that can spruce it up?