Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

a medical mystery posted:

They're gonna need to extract some of Zimmy's brain-spiders to cull the population!

Hey, now there's a thought. What if the same sort of thing happened to Zimmy with the spiders? If Annie were to fall victim to this wasp, would she run around with rainbows in her eyes, acting all strange and needing Gamma to help cull the noise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Cat Mattress posted:

An ant, an ant-imony. Whatevs, same diff.

Also: kinda neat. Was it why this rainbow wasp here was poking its little legs on Annie's cranium in the previous page?

Until recently I was working in a lab that works with these guys - they're looking at the mechanism by which the venom does its thing.

They're really beautiful too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_cockroach_wasp

The wasp in the picture of the Wikipedia article is a female - males don't have the extra tusk-like appendages on the head.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, now there's a thought. What if the same sort of thing happened to Zimmy with the spiders? If Annie were to fall victim to this wasp, would she run around with rainbows in her eyes, acting all strange and needing Gamma to help cull the noise?

I don't think the spiders are what cause Zimmytown. She's just like that. The spiders are simply hitching a ride.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The lighting in this update is just so pretty. I love how the line art changes color in the first panel, and the shadows in the second are really nice as well. Another nice touch is that the background behind coyote's infinite eyes and teeth is a panoply of stars.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Male Man posted:

I don't think the spiders are what cause Zimmytown. She's just like that. The spiders are simply hitching a ride.

Yeah Zimmy is just some sort of living ether conduit, if I recall right. Like Annie can touch it with her blinker stone, but Zimmy is more like a living blinker stone, she can't ever turn it off. So unsavory denizens of the ether decided to hitch a ride with her at some point, although likely they didn't realize that she's such a bad rear end and is able to contain them somehow. The few that managed to sneak out on Jack are evidence of how bad they can be if they escape. I wonder if this thing escaped with Annie if it would have puppeted her over to that ether station in the lake again, since they sure seemed interested in that. Makes me wonder would would happen if Zimmy were to come into contact with this parasitic wasp beesmuth thing. This is really just making me want another Zimmy/Gamma chapter, because they're so good.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Male Man posted:

Zimmy's like an antenna of sorts, I think Jones said this. I think she like "connects" with some alternate "plane of dimension :pcgaming:" where there's all sorts of weird poo poo, and weird stuff happens to your brain.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Annie'll be fine, it's just Waspinator. Guy's a worse robot than Boxbot, just hit him with a stick enough and he'll fall apart.

I'm actually kinda upset that someone beat me to this reference.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Zimmy's like an antenna of sorts, I think Jones said this. I think she like "connects" with some alternate "plane of dimension :pcgaming:" where there's all sorts of weird poo poo, and weird stuff happens to your brain.

As far as I can tell, her mind taps directly into the ether, and realises it as the grungy distorted hellhole version of Birmingham. I don't think it can actually escape her mind normally, which puts a lot of stress on her psyche and makes her, well, Zimmy.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh, it was just a Giant Hell Wasp, no cause for alarm. And to think we were so worried!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Here's a handy guide to the characters in Gunnerkrigg Court:

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 19, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Jon Joe posted:

Here's a handy guide to the character in Gunnerkrigg Court:

Seems legit. I don't think we've seen that New Character too much though. When was he introduced?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SerSpook posted:

Seems legit. I don't think we've seen that New Character too much though. When was he introduced?

Just a one-off. It wouldn't be the first time a new character was just Coyote in disguise, though.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Beesmuth makes a lot of sense actually, when you think about wasps transforming resources. There are wasps that pollinate figs as part of their reproductive process in such a way that the male wasps can become part of the fig. There are plenty of other kinds that lay their eggs in other organisms that are devoured by the babies that hatch. Maybe the Bismuth was eating the forest to grow buildings and people.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

The Red Queen posted:

Beesmuth makes a lot of sense actually, when you think about wasps transforming resources. There are wasps that pollinate figs as part of their reproductive process in such a way that the male wasps can become part of the fig. There are plenty of other kinds that lay their eggs in other organisms that are devoured by the babies that hatch. Maybe the Bismuth was eating the forest to grow buildings and people.

I will never eat a fig again.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
that is clearly a hornet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ1eAM8CChc

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Maldraedior posted:

that is clearly a hornet

:stonk: That is some hardcore poo poo right there. Let's hope for Annie's sake that it's not one of those things.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Puella Magissima posted:

:stonk: That is some hardcore poo poo right there. Let's hope for Annie's sake that it's not one of those things.

Most dangerous animal in Japan. Kills about 40 people a year with their venom.

Edit: vvv I'm dumb. Don't know why did that...

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 19, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PrinceRandom posted:

Most dangerous "animal" in Japan. Kills about 40 people a year with their venom.

Is that why Beedrills are so scary in the Pokemon animes?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You don't have to put animal in quotation marks, wasps are definitely animals.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ChairMaster posted:

Are you absolutely sure they aren't some kind of ambulatory fungus?!?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ChairMaster posted:

Wasps are demons.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Prison Warden posted:

Are you absolutely sure they aren't some kind of ambulatory fungus?!?

Pretty sure it's not a fungus.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wasps are demons.

As someone who's been stung by them multiple times in life, I can second that notion.

Seriously, wasps are just evil.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Puella Magissima posted:

Wasps are actually creepier as they actually are one of the few species of animals that will effectively mind control other animals as part of a parasitic process.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Wasps aren't demons. Their hatred and cruelty is too directed for that. They're devils.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I got stung by a wasp once. Under my eye. The day before school picture day. I don't look very happy in my yearbook.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I got stung by a wasp once. Under my eye. The day before school picture day. I don't look very happy in my yearbook.

I was once chased around by an old woman at a rodeo because I had three Wasps stuck down my shirt stinging the poo poo out of me, and once she caught me, she took me to my mom and rubbed a tobacco/spit on my stings.

I also swallowed a bee that was in my can of Doctor Pepper after it stung me on the roof of my mouth.

I hate stinging insects.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

PrinceRandom posted:

I also swallowed a bee that was in my can of Doctor Pepper after it stung me on the roof of my mouth.

The same exact thing happened to my uncle a long time ago, down to the Dr Pepper and everything.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Puella Magissima posted:

On the bright side, Japanese bees have learned to leverage their single evolutionary advantage over the hornets: they can tolerate temperatures two degrees higher than the hornets. They lure them into the hive and swarm them until they overheat. Reminds me a lot of all the sci-fi novels where humanity is worse than their opponent in every way but one which they use to emerge victorious.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

So that's what Coyote hunts.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Classic Coyote, greeting Annie after he already started talking to her.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Got to admit, I felt like it might be coming but I still laughed.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The seed bismuth is gone. Is there any hope for the Court now? :ohdear:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Isn't Ysen going to be sooo embarrassed. Egg all over his face.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 20, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Man, I felt like this was going to happen, and it was glorious.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Haha, she even toasted it a little for him. Really brings out that waspy crunch!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Oh no! Coyote just ate himselfHetty!

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
The fire elemental crown symbol we've seen before is in Annie's fire-burst. Also, I hope Coyote keeps some toothpicks around.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Why are you still talking about him? Clever Coyote said not to mind him. STOP MINDING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Yum, crispy fried rainbow wasp monster.