Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Torrannor posted:

Besides, how long was Khalid dead before you began to flirt with Jaheira?
I don't know who these people are, so I'm afraid I don't know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cortez was really boring. Lord, was he boring. I think it was because of his generic face-generated model, which didn't stand out in any way from any of the other generic crewmembers that just salute you in the hall when you pass them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Torrannor posted:

Wow, way to be dishonest about the best romance in the game. I'm not saying it is a masterwork of romantic fiction or something like that, but ME3 is not a visual novel. For an action RPG I thought Cortez was designed quite well, especially considering that he is not a party member. Of course it is ridiculous to help somebody get over his self-destructive grief in about 4 conversations, but this is an abstraction after all. Besides, how long was Khalid dead before you began to flirt with Jaheira? Steve's husband was dead for at least a year if I remember correctly.

Kaidan > Steve every day.

I genuinely thought Cortes was watching a soap opera when you first walk into the cargo bay in ME3. His husband's death is some embarrassingly hammy poo poo.

Talking to Kaidan in ME1 on the other hand? You could fry an egg in that heat.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

sassassin posted:

Kaidan > Steve every day.

I genuinely thought Cortes was watching a soap opera when you first walk into the cargo bay in ME3. His husband's death is some embarrassingly hammy poo poo.

It's always amusing to see how people have wildly different reactions to characters. I hesitated way more about picking any single piece of decor for Anderson's apartment than I did about sending Kaidan to die on Virmire.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I'm still trying to figure out if Thane has a harem of heaven wives or what. :v:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cobalt Chloride posted:

I'm still trying to figure out if Thane has a harem of heaven wives or what. :v:

I found this interesting because it's a real issue some people have to deal with if they believe in an afterlife where their loved ones are waiting for them. Some people have 2 wives or 2 husbands in their lifetime, that they legitimately love, and will have to make peace with when it comes to their belief of heaven. Same thing here with a Thane romance.

BTW: A Thane romance is the only time I go with the green ending. We need to speed up this reunion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NihilCredo posted:

It's always amusing to see how people have wildly different reactions to characters. I hesitated way more about picking any single piece of decor for Anderson's apartment than I did about sending Kaidan to die on Virmire.

If nothing else he's the most powerful and versatile squad member in 2/3 games.

Letting Ashley live is letting the reapers win.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

sassassin posted:

Kaidan obviously was frying like an egg and his gross flop-sweats and general weirdness are why he got volunteered to be a hero.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Elysiume posted:

Kaidan obviously was frying like an egg and his gross flop-sweats and general weirdness are why he got volunteered to be a hero.

Kaidan in ME1 was my crash course in The Importance of Being A Dick To Your Crewmates. What I thought was a 'let down easy' line was, apparently, 'share some of those gross flop-sweats with me, please, I, too, would like to be in the running for 'shiniest crew member.''

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
1. What the heck are flop sweats, and why does Kaidan have them?

2. My FemShep just had her first romantic conversation with TWO characters back to back: Kaidan and Liara. Kaidan asked if the lower deck rumors were true about me and Liara. I said NO because I want to romance Kaidan and sacrifice Ashley on Virmire. But I turned right around and, in a moment of weakness, told Liara I had feelings for her and Kaidan was just a friend. Does this make me a slut? What is going to happen? :ohdear:

Kameh fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 22, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Just nuke Kaidan (as you should be doing anyway) and you'll be fine :)

Nobody needs to know :ssh:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Kameh posted:

1. What the heck are flop sweats, and why does Kaidan have them?

2. My FemShep just had her first romantic conversation with TWO characters back to back: Kaidan and Liara. Kaidan asked if the lower deck rumors were true about me and Liara. I said NO because I want to romance Kaidan and sacrifice Ashley on Virmire. But I turned right around and, in a moment of weakness, told Liara I had feelings for her and Kaidan was just a friend. Does this make me a slut? What is going to happen? :ohdear:

In space, everybody is a slut.

What will happen is you'll get this hilariously awkward side dialogue where they basically go "dude what the hell" and you pick one or the other.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

GenericOverusedName posted:

In space, everybody is a slut.

What will happen is you'll get this hilariously awkward side dialogue where they basically go "dude what the hell" and you pick one or the other.

Well you can ask if you can have both. :shepface:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As others have noted, I'll be happy so long as I get to be space-bros with a cool alien and some form of robot, which is where the Mass Effect trilogy shone for me.

I know they can produce an exciting, fun to play game. My only real concern is because of being Origin exclusive and their pants-on-head retarded regional pricing, I'll probably have to wait years to get the game at anything remotely close to a realistic price. :sigh:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Have you looked into getting the pack with all 3 games that goes for the price of a new one these days?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Kaidan is one.......interesting man to decline a threesome with his C.O. and a hot alien chick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Regalingualius posted:

Have you looked into getting the pack with all 3 games that goes for the price of a new one these days?

I own the games, I bought the first two back before I'd cottoned on to the fact that Steam mostly allows me to buy at US prices as opposed to 2-5x that price (and as a result, I bought maybe ONE new game a year up to 2010), and I was given the third as a Christmas present. But even if I wanted to buy the Trilogy edition now (it is currently half price) it would cost me at least twice the normal price of the US edition.

Regional pricing for digital products really sucks, and it means I miss out on a lot of good games because they take so long to drop in price (if they ever do!) that I either forget they exist or lose interest. It's not an Origin Exclusive problem by any means, but at least even Ubisoft eventually drops prices on games that have been out for awhile, or else I never would have played ANY of the Assassin's Creed games. Maybe EA will do another Humble Bundle in a few years and I can pick up the new Mass Effect and Dragon Age that way instead :shrug:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

mastajake posted:

Kaidan is one.......interesting man to decline a threesome with his C.O. and a hot alien chick.

He's probably scared that when he 'embraces eternity' someone's head will explode. And he'd rather it not be his own.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

An Old Boot posted:

Kaidan in ME1 was my crash course in The Importance of Being A Dick To Your Crewmates. What I thought was a 'let down easy' line was, apparently, 'share some of those gross flop-sweats with me, please, I, too, would like to be in the running for 'shiniest crew member.''
There's really no need for that because, in all honesty, Shepard's just as shiny as Kaidan when (s)he talks to him on the Normandy (if not moreso).

Jerusalem posted:

I know they can produce an exciting, fun to play game. My only real concern is because of being Origin exclusive and their pants-on-head retarded regional pricing, I'll probably have to wait years to get the game at anything remotely close to a realistic price. :sigh:
I don't know where you live, exactly, but pricing on Origin doesn't seem that unusual to me here in continental Europe. Battlefield 3 excepted, a lot if not most of the catalogue's titles have been reduced in price pretty significantly in relatively little time. ME3's 10 euros now, Dead Space 3 is 20, Crysis 3 is 20. They're also running a 50%-off sale right now, which is nothing to be sniffed at.

That being said, it looks like none of the ME2 or ME3 DLC is on sale, which is admittedly a bastard thing to do.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Sombrerotron posted:

There's really no need for that because, in all honesty, Shepard's just as shiny as Kaidan when (s)he talks to him on the Normandy (if not moreso).

So it's contagious? :gonk:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Has anyone tried the ME Trilogy set for PS3? How does it run compared to the 360 version? And does it come with all the DLC?

Also, does ME1 run well on PC if you have good hardware? I remember ME1 having weird framerate issues in some places on 360.

Just wondering which platform I should buy ME for.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ME1 had a good port, I think it got some criticism for performance issues when it came out, but on modern hardware it's basically an early UE3 game, AKA really easy to run. The PC interface made a decent, if futile attempt to make the inventory system worth using, too.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Mustang posted:

Has anyone tried the ME Trilogy set for PS3? How does it run compared to the 360 version? And does it come with all the DLC?

Also, does ME1 run well on PC if you have good hardware? I remember ME1 having weird framerate issues in some places on 360.

Just wondering which platform I should buy ME for.

ME1 is a 2008 game and it wasn't even that demanding back in the day, it should run flawlessly even on a 5 year old system.

I've also played ME2 and ME3 on my (now roughly 5 years) old PC without problems.

The thing is you'll want to settle fore one platform beforehand and get all of them for the same system, what with your savegames carrying over throughout the series.

I don't think there's any trilogy edition with all of the DLC unfortunately.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mustang posted:

And does it come with all the DLC?

ME1: It comes with the only one that's available at all for the PS3.
ME2: All except for one.
ME3: None.

All together it would cost you an additional 25 dollars on Xbox.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 28, 2013

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mass Effect 2 just updated again through Origin. What was that about?

In other news: Infamous fetish artist Arania finally made some Mass Effect stuff.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The MSJ posted:

In other news: Infamous fetish artist Arania finally made some Mass Effect stuff.

Why would you do this terrible thing :gonk:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The MSJ posted:

Finally, he says. Finally, as though this thread was waiting for that with baited breath.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Nice!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Awesomely realistic Conrad Verner cosplay.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

About time someone cosplayed the best armor in the entire series :colbert:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Just noticed a cool little easter egg type deal while doing Priority 2: The citadel. In the c-sec offices there's a laptop that has a little blurb in it about a guy named Herk needing to do his reports properly. I guess someone at Bioware watches The Wire.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vigilance posted:

Just noticed a cool little easter egg type deal while doing Priority 2: The citadel. In the c-sec offices there's a laptop that has a little blurb in it about a guy named Herk needing to do his reports properly. I guess someone at Bioware watches The Wire.

I just want to know if they ever found the bodies of Ridgefield or Lamont.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Do the social scenes with squad members expire? Like, when Liara asks to see me in my cabin will the option to invite her up no longer be there after X mission? Or meeting Garrus for that sniper match? I like those scenes but when I get them I might not be in the mood for it right that second, know what I mean?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

2house2fly posted:

Do the social scenes with squad members expire? Like, when Liara asks to see me in my cabin will the option to invite her up no longer be there after X mission? Or meeting Garrus for that sniper match? I like those scenes but when I get them I might not be in the mood for it right that second, know what I mean?

No. Do them whenever you want to.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Since The Bureau: XCOM Classified plays sort of like Mass Effect, I now want a Mass Effect game that plays like XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Since The Bureau: XCOM Classified plays sort of like Mass Effect, I now want a Mass Effect game that plays like XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

A man can dream... :allears:

You hear it BioWare? Make it happen and we can all forget the three coloured endings.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Still wanna play Alliance Starfighter, Galaxy of Fantasy, and that fascinating human game: Solitaire.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So I'm playing through this trilogy for the first time, and though I really enjoyed the story of ME1 (hated having delete all those drat upgrades later in the game) and absolutely loved ME2 (scanned so many planets and loved every minute of it), I'm still not digging ME3. Is this normal? It's pretty early in the game yet just saved the female krogan, so is there hope? Part of my dissatisfaction comes with it not recognizing my original face from ME1 when transferring the save from 2 to 3. I really wish I had written down that code when I got the facial reconstruction in the middle of 2.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So I'm playing through this trilogy for the first time, and though I really enjoyed the story of ME1 (hated having delete all those drat upgrades later in the game) and absolutely loved ME2 (scanned so many planets and loved every minute of it), I'm still not digging ME3. Is this normal? It's pretty early in the game yet just saved the female krogan, so is there hope? Part of my dissatisfaction comes with it not recognizing my original face from ME1 when transferring the save from 2 to 3. I really wish I had written down that code when I got the facial reconstruction in the middle of 2.

You are still early, but the high point of the game is the story arc you are in now (specifically the results of the mission you just finished.) If you complete that part (which brings you to roughly the mid-point of the game) and aren't impressed, then the game probably isn't for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I kind of don't want to say any of this this because I hate colouring opinions before the fact (and I'm not even sure the next part is even true or if I made it up after the fact) but I think what carried me through a lot of ME3 were the character moments between missions and the little playdates you get to go on with a few of them. No matter what I say about ME3 as a whole I loved every single moment of talking to people on the Normandy and Citadel. That said if you don't think the Tuchanka arc is all that great by the end of it (though you should :colbert:) then the rest of the main story probably won't Wow you. Parts of Tuchanka don't feel all that important (the Turian squad and bomb mission are a kind of forced way to give the Primarch some character) but overall its easily the best part of the game, partly because it uses previous games' decisions to affect the outcome in a fair number of ways.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 23, 2013

• Locked thread