Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Is there any reason to update your recovery if nothing's broken? I decided to check out the TWRP page, and I see there are 3 new versions since the one on my Nexus 4 (2.5.0.0). If I do update it, do I need to wipe anything/will it automatically wipe anything?
It won't wipe anything and yes you should update it. Recovery updates are important and you should do them. I don't know how much TWRP updates, but CWR updates are in the CM changelog so I know what's in every commit and there are real, necessary improvements in the recovery updates even when they aren't paired with a release (I just build the latest version every time there's a change).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I remember seeing a Google+ post by Koushik Dutta talking about how new CWM recoveries were coming out around the same time as the CM 10.2 nightly releases were starting up. He said generally you shouldn't update your recovery unless you're having issues with what you already have. v:shobon:v

Of course I can't actually find that post, so believe whatever you want.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

I remember seeing a Google+ post by Koushik Dutta talking about how new CWM recoveries were coming out around the same time as the CM 10.2 nightly releases were starting up. He said generally you shouldn't update your recovery unless you're having issues with what you already have. v:shobon:v

Of course I can't actually find that post, so believe whatever you want.
You certainly don't need to but if it's pushed to ROM Manager it's usually for a good reason. As it stands most times even when there's a version bump don't get pushed out to ROM Manager so it's not like the changes are fixing something critical. The last one if I remember correctly was to fix the problem with root being broken on 4.3 and if you don't update the recovery it won't properly install the daemon for Superuser to work.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

ninmeister posted:

Alright, so I just tried out CM10.2 nightlies on my Sprint GS3. Is there any good reason why it seems to want to drop my data connection alot in it? I'm at work, which really doesn't have the best signal to begin with, but in stock TW it works fine. On CM I watched data drop out left and right.

Have you updated your firmware recently? If you haven't taken an OTA in a while you may have outdated radios and other important partitions.

http://invisiblek.org/d2firmware.html

Cyanogenmod ROMs typically assume you're running the latest radio version, so check your current radio version and see if it's on MD4 yet.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

ProjektorBoy posted:

Have you updated your firmware recently? If you haven't taken an OTA in a while you may have outdated radios and other important partitions.

http://invisiblek.org/d2firmware.html

Cyanogenmod ROMs typically assume you're running the latest radio version, so check your current radio version and see if it's on MD4 yet.

Yeah I'm on MD4. I just reflashed CM 10.2 while at home where I have an actual signal, unlike my work sometimes. I'm gonna give it a longer test to see how it works out.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
I posted this on XDA the other day but it hasn't been responded to so I figure I'll try my luck here.

I've been trying to unlock the bootloader on my LG L9 P769 (stock rom, rooted), and I'm fairly certain I've softbricked it. My only options right now are Upgrade Mode, CMW, and a strange white screen that says "Encrypting" on it. This screen pops up whenever I try to regularly boot my phone, and so far I've found no explanation for what it is or does. In addition, Windows doesn't recognize the phone in any way, and I've hard-reset and data wiped about 5 times to no avail. Has anybody experienced anything like this?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I remember many pages back people talking about setting up a script that removes unused apps from CM every time you update. I never use Apollo, Movie Studio, etc. How do you set that up? I'm not exactly sure what to Google for.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

I remember many pages back people talking about setting up a script that removes unused apps from CM every time you update. I never use Apollo, Movie Studio, etc. How do you set that up? I'm not exactly sure what to Google for.
It was me. Here is an xda link to how scripts work.

This is my backup script:
code:
#!/sbin/sh
# 
# /system/addon.d/91-cm.sh
# During a CM10 upgrade, this script backs up /system/etc/hosts,
# /system is formatted and reinstalled, then the file is restored.
#

. /tmp/backuptool.functions

list_files() {
cat <<EOF
app/com.nolanlawson.logcat.apk
EOF
}

case "$1" in
  backup)
    list_files | while read FILE DUMMY; do
      backup_file $S/"$FILE"
    done
  ;;
  restore)
    list_files | while read FILE REPLACEMENT; do
      R=""
      [ -n "$REPLACEMENT" ] && R="$S/$REPLACEMENT"
      [ -f "$C/$S/$FILE" ] && restore_file $S/"$FILE" "$R"
    done
	rm /system/app/Calendar.apk
	rm /system/app/CMFileManager.apk
	rm /system/app/CMFileManagerThemes.apk
	rm /system/app/CMWallpapers.apk
	rm /system/app/Email2.apk
	rm /system/app/Exchange2.apk
	rm /system/app/Galaxy4.apk
	rm /system/app/HoloSpiralWallpaper.apk
	rm /system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk
	rm /system/app/MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
	rm /system/app/NoiseField.apk
	rm /system/app/PhaseBeam.apk
	rm /system/app/QuickSearchBox.apk
	rm /system/app/Trebuchet.apk
	rm /system/app/VideoEditor.apk
	rm /system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.apk
  ;;
  pre-backup)
    # Stub
  ;;
  post-backup)
    # Stub
  ;;
  pre-restore)
    # Stub
  ;;
  post-restore)
    # Stub
  ;;
esac
The files under the line "cat <<EOF" are what will be backed up and restored after each flash. The lines beginning with "rm" are files that CM flashes that I don't want. You can remove all of those lines or add paths to files you'd prefer be removed. Note that I have CatLog backed up and restored after each flash at the top, you'll need to remove that too (if the script fails on a line I believe the entire rest of the script is aborted). This script gets placed in the /system/addon.d folder (with other scripts that will look the same) and should be named 91-cm.sh or something similar.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Thanks so much for this.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ProjektorBoy posted:

Have you updated your RPM/Radio/Trustzone lately? Newer CM's rely on keeping those things up to date on SGS3 variants.

Looks like the latest firmware update on the d2att is known as MG2.

This was a while back but I want to thank you again because of something neat I saw today:

Never seen anything like that even on stock rom of my old phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vin BioEthanol posted:

This was a while back but I want to thank you again because of something neat I saw today:

Never seen anything like that even on stock rom of my old phone.
When I sold my Nexus One on CM7 it had somewhere north of 1750 hours of uptime.

----------------------------------------------

A couple interesting commits on tonight's CM10.2 build which is being built right now:

Focal is being removed. Comments say because it's broken on a number of devices (it is) and that's causing ~~drama~~ in the community but I'm unaware of that although I'd love to read about it if anyone knows what Steve is referring to. Good riddance to bad trash though.

And There are three commits that deal with connectivity when dealing with RIL errors. I sure hope this resolves the flaky connectivity restoration in low signal areas. I barely get a signal at work so I usually go into airplane mode while there but if I turn off airplane mode before I'm in an area where I know I get connectivity it will never rejoin the network. I think this is the same issue that ninmeister was seeing in his post above and hopefully this will resolve it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Focal is being removed. Comments say because it's broken on a number of devices (it is) and that's causing ~~drama~~ in the community but I'm unaware of that although I'd love to read about it if anyone knows what Steve is referring to. Good riddance to bad trash though.

Steve Kondik posted:

Patch Set 1:
I spoke with Xplod at length about this. I think Focal is a great piece of work with huge potential, but there's now this perception that CM is trying to steal his hard work and run with it. I would rather see him continue this as a standalone project (which will no doubt be successful) rather than continue to generate drama in the community.

The stock camera app has always worked fine for me, so I don't care if Focal never comes back.

On a different note, I'm still losing all sounds on a near daily basis and I can't figure out what's causing it, but boy is it annoying. I sure hope it gets fixed soon though because now I can't live without the notification syncing that 4.3 brought.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
LastInLine, since you seem to be somewhat involved in CM (to the extent of building it yourself, anyway), do you know why the built-in SuperUser functionality would crap out after a day or two? It's been happening for perhaps a month on my Nexus 4, across many different nightlies. I'll wake up some morning and see that Titanium Backup couldn't get root privileges to back poo poo up in the middle of the night, and when I test other root apps, they all say they can't get permissions either. If I reboot, things are fine for another day or so. People on G+ suggested I use SuperSU, but it doesn't want to flash through the app (which is the recommended way to get it), and I'd rather not have to periodically check for a new version to flash in recovery.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

And There are three commits that deal with connectivity when dealing with RIL errors. I sure hope this resolves the flaky connectivity restoration in low signal areas. I barely get a signal at work so I usually go into airplane mode while there but if I turn off airplane mode before I'm in an area where I know I get connectivity it will never rejoin the network. I think this is the same issue that ninmeister was seeing in his post above and hopefully this will resolve it.

Awesome, time to try out CM10.2 again. I could never get a stable data connection with my verizon galaxy nexus on 3g/4g so I downgraded after a few days of fiddling with everything. I do miss the speed improvements though.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
How are people finding MIUI these days? I don't tend to hear a lot about it anymore. I've recently flashed the latest version for my Nexus S and I love the aesthetic of it. I've had to switch to Performance Mode though, as opposed to Power Saving or Normal, so I'm not sure how my battery is gonna enjoy it.

Feels like my Nexus S is getting a little sluggish these days in general though, so I can't really blame MIUI. Main reason I swapped in the first place was that CM10 was laggy as well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Here is the drama that was referenced. Edit: Definitely worth reading.

hooah posted:

LastInLine, since you seem to be somewhat involved in CM (to the extent of building it yourself, anyway), do you know why the built-in SuperUser functionality would crap out after a day or two? It's been happening for perhaps a month on my Nexus 4, across many different nightlies. I'll wake up some morning and see that Titanium Backup couldn't get root privileges to back poo poo up in the middle of the night, and when I test other root apps, they all say they can't get permissions either. If I reboot, things are fine for another day or so. People on G+ suggested I use SuperSU, but it doesn't want to flash through the app (which is the recommended way to get it), and I'd rather not have to periodically check for a new version to flash in recovery.
I've never had problems with that. You do have the current recovery, correct? If you disable the flash-recovery.sh script (as the older recoveries would) it won't start the daemon that needs to run to have Superuser work in 4.3. That's almost certainly what's wrong but I don't know how to fix it if you're regularly flashing nightlies and that isn't working for you. If you're not regularly flashing nightlies, grab the latest one and fastboot flash the current recovery then use that to install CM. You haven't uninstalled some critical CM file, have you?

I know it's something to do with the daemon not running/getting stopped but I don't know how or why that would happen and a logcat is going to be tough to get since it could be happening at any time.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 20, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I see his point but meh, welcome to the wonderful world where people want to get paid. Writing was on the wall. Besides, Focal has been a buggy pile of poo poo for me and can't wait for it to be gone. Even when it did decide to randomly take pictures like it's supposed to the UI is terrible.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I actually enjoyed Focals take on the ASOP camera app. Sure it crashed every time I tried to take a picture, but I liked having all those settings easily accessible. I hope they fix the bugs and put it up on the Play Store.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I see his point but meh, welcome to the wonderful world where people want to get paid.

Except no one else knew and they hid it. It's like if someone secretly recorded your high school band and started selling it. Sure they get paid but everyone else got ripped off.

Always open source = drama, it's just a matter of time. I was hoping CM would just stay open source and not commercialized as we already have an army of companies commercializing android but I understand it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Stick100 posted:

Except no one else knew and they hid it. It's like if someone secretly recorded your high school band and started selling it. Sure they get paid but everyone else got ripped off.

Always open source = drama, it's just a matter of time. I was hoping CM would just stay open source and not commercialized as we already have an army of companies commercializing android but I understand it.

Like you said, open source = drama and it is always inevitable. Sure, there are things I think Steve and team could have done better but when there's 7 mil on the line someone's feelings are going to get hurt. That's how it goes. All that means is CM goes 'official' and angry people can fork CM its current state (or go AOSP) and make AngryNerdMod for XDA to clamor over.

That's not to say I wouldn't be a little butthurt too if it was my code but open source phone hackery is a labor of love. Lesson learned, hack the next phone. Still though, I wish the CM venture the best of luck. Never in a million years would I have guessed that the jank piece of poo poo I shoehorned onto my G1 a billion years ago would be an actual company.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 20, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Here is the drama that was referenced. Edit: Definitely worth reading.
I've never had problems with that. You do have the current recovery, correct? If you disable the flash-recovery.sh script (as the older recoveries would) it won't start the daemon that needs to run to have Superuser work in 4.3. That's almost certainly what's wrong but I don't know how to fix it if you're regularly flashing nightlies and that isn't working for you. If you're not regularly flashing nightlies, grab the latest one and fastboot flash the current recovery then use that to install CM. You haven't uninstalled some critical CM file, have you?

I know it's something to do with the daemon not running/getting stopped but I don't know how or why that would happen and a logcat is going to be tough to get since it could be happening at any time.

I have the most recent version of TWRP (as of ...two days ago?), and I am flashing nightlies (albeit through CyanDelta).

I've run into an amusing problem with the nightly from yesterday where Android System eats up ~4 times the battery as the screen. I've left it plugged in to the OEM charger now for about an hour, and it's gone up maybe 10%. Something is hosed in that nightly.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
The 9/20 nightly fixed all my bluetooth problems! Huzzah!

Still don't have meta data in my car stereo though. Don't know if that's the stereo or the mod at fault though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Stick100 posted:

It's like if someone secretly recorded your high school band and started selling it. Sure they get paid but everyone else got ripped off.

No, it's like if you put your band's recordings out under an open license (I'd say CC-BY-SA would be a reasonable GPL analog for such things) and someone decided to put them in to a compilation album.

When you release code under the GPL that's the agreement you're making with the world. Anyone is permitted to redistribute it, as long as they make source available to those they've distributed it to. They can even charge for it, though the passed down redistribution rights make this a bit of a tricky business model since the next person can just give it away for free.

Not that I'm defending the apparent behavior of the CM team, but what you've compared it to would be illegal where this is just dickish.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I have the most recent version of TWRP (as of ...two days ago?), and I am flashing nightlies (albeit through CyanDelta).

I've run into an amusing problem with the nightly from yesterday where Android System eats up ~4 times the battery as the screen. I've left it plugged in to the OEM charger now for about an hour, and it's gone up maybe 10%. Something is hosed in that nightly.

Haha, when I posted this problem over at the CM G+ page (with screenshots), two people went "Whoa, why's your Bluetooth on all the time? Turn that off!"

I've since changed the kernel to Franco's, here's hoping it helps (the phone only charged to sixty-some percent overnight).

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Well, I flashed the 9/21 CM 10.2 nightly on my Sprint Galaxy S3 after those RIL changes were merged in. It looks like it has helped, but developed an interesting little bug. It will show my connection as no connection (the hollow signal triangle), yet in phone status it shows I'm on eHRPD and data will work fine. This seems to only happen in a low signal situation. But at least the data is working.

I imagine that will get worked out. The weekend will be a good time to see how this works. Thanks LastInLine for the information on that being merged in!

Edit: lol nope data still seems to be pretty broken. Back to touchwiz.

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 21, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ninmeister posted:

Well, I flashed the 9/21 CM 10.2 nightly on my Sprint Galaxy S3 after those RIL changes were merged in. It looks like it has helped, but developed an interesting little bug. It will show my connection as no connection (the hollow signal triangle), yet in phone status it shows I'm on eHRPD and data will work fine. This seems to only happen in a low signal situation. But at least the data is working.

I imagine that will get worked out. The weekend will be a good time to see how this works. Thanks LastInLine for the information on that being merged in!

Edit: lol nope data still seems to be pretty broken. Back to touchwiz.
That's exactly the behavior I get on my GSM Galaxy Nexus. I was hoping that would fix it but I guess not. :(

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Follow up to my MIUI lag issues, I disabled the micloud sync for SMS and call logs and it seems to not take half an hour to unlock and read a message now. Its practically butter smooth. I heartily recommend it if even CM is too laggy on your phone.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
Strangest thing happened to me just now with my HTC One. Not sure if anybody else had a similar experience or not.

I've got a rooted HTC One (GSM AT&T 64GB model) running a slightly outdated version of ARHD (4.3 base). It was fine throughout the day for me, but just a while ago, the mobile data was disabled. I started to wonder why, but toggling stuff didn't make it work again. I also wondered if it was because I had custom icons, but nope, the mobile data really was disabled.

I started to wonder what was going on, so I did a reboot. Still a problem. I was hoping the SIM wasn't messed up, or I'd have to go to the AT&T store nearby tomorrow and hope for the best. So to see if the SIM card was the culprit or not, I pulled it out and swapped it into my Lumia 920 (which I keep for amateur development purposes and as a backup device). I put it in by turning off the Lumia, putting the SIM into the tray, and powering it back on. I thought it wasn't going to work at first, but it did. The SIM was working just fine.

That's when I got a bit nervous and started to wonder if it was because I had rooted and tricked out my phone a bit too much that the SIM card wouldn't detect. So just to make sure if the problem was still there or not, I powered down my Lumia, put the SIM back into my HTC One, powered it back on, and it was just fine. I have no idea what really caused it in the first place now. I just hope it doesn't happen again. I'm also still wondering if this whole "mobile data stops working for no apparent reason" thing has happened to anyone else.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I have a Nexus 4. At the moment I'm using cyanogenmod nightlies, which works great for me on the most part.

The lockscreen options are bugging me at the moment. I'd like my phone to work like an iPhone in terms pin locking:
1. Only turn on pin / passcode lock after a user defined delay.
2. Always show the slide-to-unlock lockscreen whenever the screen is turned off & on, no matter the delay.

I used to use Delayed Lock, but I found it a bit buggy (graphical glitches etc.), plus it doesn't work with an encrypted phone.

Do any current roms include built in lockscreen delay features, to make it function exactly like the iPhone?
I could've sworn a previous version of Cyanogenmod did include this by default, but it clearly doesn't at the moment.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

wooger posted:

I have a Nexus 4. At the moment I'm using cyanogenmod nightlies, which works great for me on the most part.

The lockscreen options are bugging me at the moment. I'd like my phone to work like an iPhone in terms pin locking:
1. Only turn on pin / passcode lock after a user defined delay.

Settings - Lock Screen - Screen Security

It's there, man. CM has this feature in the nightlies.

quote:

2. Always show the slide-to-unlock lockscreen whenever the screen is turned off & on, no matter the delay.
Not so sure about this one.

edit: disregard edit.

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 23, 2013

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

nimper posted:

Settings - Lock Screen - Screen Security

It's there, man. CM has this feature in the nightlies.

Not so sure about this one.

Yeah, I know the straight delay is there, but I need both. Pocket dialling happens during the delay otherwise.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

wooger posted:

Yeah, I know the straight delay is there, but I need both. Pocket dialling happens during the delay otherwise.

Oh, I see what you're saying. You want it to always have some kind of lock screen showing, otherwise it will turn on and start doing things you don't want.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Lock Screen > Screen Security > Automatically Lock > Immediately?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LiquidRain posted:

Lock Screen > Screen Security > Automatically Lock > Immediately?

He wants a delay before the PIN kicks in.

I think the best solution is to have the power button always lock the device immediately, and have the delay only apply to the screen timeout.

edit:

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 23, 2013

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Use Widget Locker to get a slide-to-unlock while having a PIN set. As a former iPhone user this drove me nuts too.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I noticed a few vending machines on my campus that are promoting that alternative to Google Wallet that AT&T seem to like much more. The machines even promised me a free drink if I paid with it for the first time.

So I find it on Google Play with overwhelming negative reviews. I still wanted to check it out because of the prospect of a free drink.

I downloaded it and I find a message in the app saying that the app refuses to run because I have a rooted device.

I hate when apps do this.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm trying out a different kernal on my SGS3 CM 10.2. How does updating CM work when a different kernel--does it overwrite it with the one in CM, or will it stay?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I'm trying out a different kernal on my SGS3 CM 10.2. How does updating CM work when a different kernel--does it overwrite it with the one in CM, or will it stay?
It overwrites it every time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Your kernel gets overwritten with the CM one. If you're using CyanDelta, you can move a zip of your kernel to the CyanDelta folder and tell it to flash that after the CM update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it the kernel that handles mhl support? Cyanogenmod doesn't support hdmi out, but I don't know if that's just the kernel or something else.