Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Beerdeer posted:

The first is called Up Schist Creek. It's from Anthonology by SA's favorite literary perv, Piers Anthony.

Thanks to the internet, I was able to reread it (ugh). My dad had tons of Piers Anthony books while I was growing up, which explains how I came across it the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

navyjack posted:

The Hidden Ways series by Joel Rosenberg. As to quality, I shan't say. I thought they were boss when I was a teenager.

Huh. Did he pull an Eddings on his "Guardians of the Flame" series, or are they sufficiently different?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Gorbash posted:

Huh. Did he pull an Eddings on his "Guardians of the Flame" series, or are they sufficiently different?

Yeah, completely different. About the closest you get is some mental voice similarities between Ian Silverstein and Walter Slovotstky.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

navyjack posted:

Yeah, completely different. About the closest you get is some mental voice similarities between Ian Silverstein and Walter Slovotstky.

Thanks - I'd never heard of them, but I may have to look them up. I spent many happy hours as a youth with Karl Cullinane, but I never knew he'd written much more than that.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Sri.Theo posted:

Thanks very much. I wonder why the internet decided to attribute it to A.A. Milne of all people, I thought that was George Orwell/ Mark Twain's job.

Are you sure it's from a Winnie-the-Pooh book? He wrote plenty of others.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
My dad was a huge sci-fi fan his whole life and read pretty much every sci-fi book known to man. He had boxes and boxes of them in his garage. There is one that sticks out clearly in my mind from when I was a kid and I went back home after he died to try and find it, but by then my mom had thrown all the book away. I was hoping someone might be able to identify this book for me.

What I remember very clearly was the cover. It totally fascinated me as a kid. The cover was some big menacing and angry space alien that was basically an elephant looking humanoid and he was holding some kind of ray gun in his trunk. He may have even had two trunks. I think there was also a human man and maybe a woman too, hiding from the alien behind a crumbling wall.

The book was much too long and hard to read for me at the time since I was only like 8 years old, so I just flipped to the end and read the last couple pages. The story ended with the man standing triumphantly on the back of a dead space-elephant, holding the woman in his arms, as he reflects on the victory of planet Earth.

At least that's how I remember things. I could be off by a bit since it was almost 20 years ago when I saw this book. Any ideas what it might be? It was probably from the 80's or early 90's and it may have been a giant piece of poo poo. At least that's how I interpret it now what with its dumb cliche ending and cheesy cover and everything.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

My dad was a huge sci-fi fan his whole life and read pretty much every sci-fi book known to man. He had boxes and boxes of them in his garage. There is one that sticks out clearly in my mind from when I was a kid and I went back home after he died to try and find it, but by then my mom had thrown all the book away. I was hoping someone might be able to identify this book for me.

What I remember very clearly was the cover. It totally fascinated me as a kid. The cover was some big menacing and angry space alien that was basically an elephant looking humanoid and he was holding some kind of ray gun in his trunk. He may have even had two trunks. I think there was also a human man and maybe a woman too, hiding from the alien behind a crumbling wall.

The book was much too long and hard to read for me at the time since I was only like 8 years old, so I just flipped to the end and read the last couple pages. The story ended with the man standing triumphantly on the back of a dead space-elephant, holding the woman in his arms, as he reflects on the victory of planet Earth.

At least that's how I remember things. I could be off by a bit since it was almost 20 years ago when I saw this book. Any ideas what it might be? It was probably from the 80's or early 90's and it may have been a giant piece of poo poo. At least that's how I interpret it now what with its dumb cliche ending and cheesy cover and everything.

Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

navyjack posted:

Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell

Ha! That is totally it.

Is it worth reading or is it a piece of poo poo like I was afraid of?

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
It's pretty good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sri.Theo posted:

I'm looking for a Winnie the pooh book that contains this quote:

Everyone attributes it to AA Milne but I'm unsure which book its from, would love the help!

Searching google books doesn't turn up the direct quote anywhere except in "chicken soup for the soul" books, though there is an alternate attribution to various versions of the musical Annie.

I suspect it's a false quotation.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Trying to remember this one. It's a paperback I read with a purple? cover. I bought it maybe 4-5 years ago at wal mart, so it has/had a national release or at least a big one.

It's a book about callers that call into this night radio show and talk about all the weird, spooky poo poo that goes on.

I cannot remember the name of it though. It's driving me nuts.

The only story I remember was some guy who called in and was talking about how he missed his wife, and he was a scientist who worked with alternate dimensions, and no one ever remembered him because he was falling through them all the time, and the story kept calling him different names and whatnot.

Any ideas?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Ha! That is totally it.

Is it worth reading or is it a piece of poo poo like I was afraid of?

It's been a lot of years, but I remember finishing it with a feeling of "not bad for what it is". Try not to roll your eyes too hard at the subplot where the US government asks a bunch of scifi authors (including an rear end-kissing notHeinlein, on whom Niven had a massive mancrush) to help save the world because nobody else can get inside the aliens' heads.

Middle of the road for a Niven-Pournelle collaboration.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Trying to remember this one. It's a paperback I read with a purple? cover. I bought it maybe 4-5 years ago at wal mart, so it has/had a national release or at least a big one.

It's a book about callers that call into this night radio show and talk about all the weird, spooky poo poo that goes on.

I cannot remember the name of it though. It's driving me nuts.

The only story I remember was some guy who called in and was talking about how he missed his wife, and he was a scientist who worked with alternate dimensions, and no one ever remembered him because he was falling through them all the time, and the story kept calling him different names and whatnot.

Any ideas?

Turns out it's Ghost Radio by L. Gout.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I have a slightly odd one I want to throw out there. I recall reading a couple of books when I was younger, possibly 25 years ago. They were children's / young teen books but from the art work and the humour seemed to be from the mid twentieth century - I'm vague about that because my memory has gone fuzzy on its exact contents but I recall reading it in the late 80's and thinking they were from 'before the war'. That being said they were brand new books when I read them, the style was obviously older.

They were compendiums and consisted mainly of art, lots and lots of drawings and picture all humorous in nature, puzzles etc. Lots of puns, etc. They weren't stories they were just lots of unconnected cartoons(I hesitate to use that word) and drawings. Two of the books I recall were hard cover, black, had I think three stripes on the binding or along the bottom (red, yellow, green). Sizes were probably 10x12 inches? I'm wondering if it had an art deco flare to its cover design?

Cannot remember anything regarding the name of it. Collins or Colliers keeps popping into my head but that could be a red herring due to how obvious they are and I would discount them completely in my search but they do keep popping up in my head.

They're very vague memories at this stage, I've only just started trying to recall it in the last week or so and have had no luck with my very vague searchers. The only reason I remembered it was reading one of my old childhood books with my daughter (Richard Scarry's Busy Busy World) and recalled I used to read these others books too, but that they belonged to a friend of the family and I have no way of tracking them since.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 26, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

hambeet posted:

I have a slightly odd one I want to throw out there.

Was it Cole's Funny Picture Book?

mbottoms
Nov 15, 2012

Wouldn't you like to...

krunaldo posted:

I'm looking for a fantasy book where the lead is a female character who is a magician, iirc she was a redhead and also immortal in some way(at least unable to die of age). It's a series of 4 books. Any clue guys?

I suspect this is the Symphony of ages series by Elizabeth Hayden, now up to 6 books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_of_Ages

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo, from what I thought was a fairly vague description you got it in one! I'm completely floored someone got it so quickly I thought this was a massive stretch. That is indeed what I was after and I recall those pictures quite clearly.

Thank you so much. I see you have plat, can I buy you a no-ad upgrade or archives?

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

hambeet posted:

Thank you so much. I see you have plat, can I buy you a no-ad upgrade or archives?

You're welcome, but no upgrades are necessary. :)

So you know, there were three books in the series. 1 and 2 were put together by E. W. Cole in the late 1800s, and the 3rd was done by his son a generation later, and seems to be just a compilation of what he thought were the best bits of his father's books. So the 3rd one is probably not as good, unless it's all you can get hold of.

Slight derail before I stop talking about it: There is an interesting article about Cole's Book Arcade in Melbourne on Urban Melbourne. It sounds like it was an amazing sight, now sadly gone. I doubt we'll see it's like again.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Project1 posted:

You're welcome, but no upgrades are necessary. :)

So you know, there were three books in the series. 1 and 2 were put together by E. W. Cole in the late 1800s, and the 3rd was done by his son a generation later, and seems to be just a compilation of what he thought were the best bits of his father's books. So the 3rd one is probably not as good, unless it's all you can get hold of.

Slight derail before I stop talking about it: There is an interesting article about Cole's Book Arcade in Melbourne on Urban Melbourne. It sounds like it was an amazing sight, now sadly gone. I doubt we'll see it's like again.

Funnily enough number 3 is the one I remember first , I think we had #1 and #2.

I'm a Melburnian and never realised these books were from Melbourne. Surprised again!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I asked this a while back and I'm not sure if I ever got an answer, but lets give this another go.

A few years ago I read a book that was set in some alternate universe where apparently the Olympics went free for all in the worst possible ways. Most of the plot was set in nineties Communist China where government officials are looking for the perfect athlete. They find a guy who is pretty much Bruce Lee and his old man is who is somehow a hundred year old dude who took part in the Boxer Rebellion.

They arrest and force the dude into a degrading and humiliating training program where they castrate him and in the end he peels off his face live on the telly during the Olympics and somehow this ends with Nuclear War on the last page.

It was incredibly surreal and weird to read and I want to have another pop at it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

I asked this a while back and I'm not sure if I ever got an answer, but lets give this another go.

A few years ago I read a book that was set in some alternate universe where apparently the Olympics went free for all in the worst possible ways. Most of the plot was set in nineties Communist China where government officials are looking for the perfect athlete. They find a guy who is pretty much Bruce Lee and his old man is who is somehow a hundred year old dude who took part in the Boxer Rebellion.

They arrest and force the dude into a degrading and humiliating training program where they castrate him and in the end he peels off his face live on the telly during the Olympics and somehow this ends with Nuclear War on the last page.

It was incredibly surreal and weird to read and I want to have another pop at it.

Is it Please don't call me Human by Wang Shuo?

quote:

Now Wang Shuo, easily Chinas coolest and most popular novelist, applies his genius for satire and cultural irreverence to one of the worlds sacred rituals, the Olympic Games. In Please Dont Call Me Human, he imagines an Olympics where nations compete not on the basis of athletic prowess, but on their citizens capacity for humiliationand China is determined to win at any cost. Banned in China for its rudeness and vulgarity, this astonishing, tripped-out novel is filled with outlandish antics that have earned Wang Shuo his own genre, hooligan literature.

http://books.google.com.au/books/about/Please_Don_t_Call_Me_Human.html?id=CRsSAAAAYAAJ&redir_esc=y

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Got it in one, thank you so much man!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

Got it in one, thank you so much man!

Not a problem, someone helped me out so I'll stick around for a bit and see if I can pay it back.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Can't for the life of me remember the name of that science fiction short story about a human woman and a non-humanoid alien locked in sexual strife. It was by a female author and I want to say it won an award.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

apophenium posted:

Can't for the life of me remember the name of that science fiction short story about a human woman and a non-humanoid alien locked in sexual strife. It was by a female author and I want to say it won an award.

Well, I could use a bit more detail. From that 30,000 ft view: Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis trilogy?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's a series that's been brought up in past horror threads and I can't remember its name. Or much of anything besides this half-assed quote: The sun will set tomorrow at TIME and it will not rise again.

Not much to go on, but from what I remember several people had read it so hopefully one of them follows this thread.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

apophenium posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spar_%28short_story%29 ?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Bingo! I knew it had a title like that. Googling "sci fi sex battle" wasn't really doing it. Thanks.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Good God. THAT won a Nebula?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Captain Equinox posted:

Good God. THAT won a Nebula?

Awards are what they are, and at least it isn't that Mormon space whale rape thing.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Help me, I can't remember a novel. It had various narratives at different times for the same characters. One of them was a lesbian who worked as an Air Raid Patroller in the second world war. It also had a gay guy who went to prison after his boyfriend committed suicide in a botched suicide pact. It was made into a TV mini-series in the UK. Everybody seemed to be dreadfully unhappy. What am I thinking of?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Noreaus posted:

Help me, I can't remember a novel. It had various narratives at different times for the same characters. One of them was a lesbian who worked as an Air Raid Patroller in the second world war. It also had a gay guy who went to prison after his boyfriend committed suicide in a botched suicide pact. It was made into a TV mini-series in the UK. Everybody seemed to be dreadfully unhappy. What am I thinking of?

Sounds like the The Night Watch I think.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Watch_(Waters_novel)

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Young adult book, think it was a reprint by Scholastic.

A couple of kids discover the remains of a long dead miniature civilization (in a cave? basement?) and they slowly excavate more and more of it. Until one day they uncover a building that's designed to prick a human/animal with poison. Of course, one of the idiot kids touches it and gets poisoned.

For some reason, I think they had to cover it all over again. And there's something about a forbidden door that the civilization is locked behind?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Durette posted:

Young adult book, think it was a reprint by Scholastic.

A couple of kids discover the remains of a long dead miniature civilization (in a cave? basement?) and they slowly excavate more and more of it. Until one day they uncover a building that's designed to prick a human/animal with poison. Of course, one of the idiot kids touches it and gets poisoned.

For some reason, I think they had to cover it all over again. And there's something about a forbidden door that the civilization is locked behind?

Close with regards to the door if its Through the Hidden Door you were thinking of.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Hidden_Door

hambeet fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 30, 2013

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

hambeet posted:

Close with regards to the door if its Through the Hidden Door you were thinking of.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Hidden_Door

That's it! Thanks!

PS - Rosemary Wells is very, very under rated and I hope sometime she gets more recognition for her non-Max & Ruby work.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Anyone know the title of Steinbeck's book about a man trying to unionize orchard workers and regularly stopping by a diner for hamburgers? I started it back in middle-school and never finished because my already tattered copy fell apart and lost a bunch of pages.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

Anyone know the title of Steinbeck's book about a man trying to unionize orchard workers and regularly stopping by a diner for hamburgers? I started it back in middle-school and never finished because my already tattered copy fell apart and lost a bunch of pages.

In Dubious Battle.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So Tom Clancy's death reminded me that I did actually read one of his books once. But it was about 7 years ago and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It was about a retired ex-military guy who if I remember correctly his family is dead and he strikes up a relationship with this girl who kind of has a dark past. These mafia/foreign agents/whatever kill her so the retired guy spends the rest of the novel getting his revenge on them, killing them one by one. I remember specifically he tortures and then kills one guy by trapping him in a pressure chamber. I also think he had a houseboat. That's all I got. If anyone knows what I'm talking about it's been driving me crazy, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

So Tom Clancy's death reminded me that I did actually read one of his books once. But it was about 7 years ago and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It was about a retired ex-military guy who if I remember correctly his family is dead and he strikes up a relationship with this girl who kind of has a dark past. These mafia/foreign agents/whatever kill her so the retired guy spends the rest of the novel getting his revenge on them, killing them one by one. I remember specifically he tortures and then kills one guy by trapping him in a pressure chamber. I also think he had a houseboat. That's all I got. If anyone knows what I'm talking about it's been driving me crazy, thanks.

Without Remorse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Without_Remorse

Might want to do some curls at the gym before reading it again.