Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Reminder: Multi Unite Morphs weren't even added to the game until three months before launch. They weren't advertising the game because it wasn't done and they had no idea if it was even gonna turn out to be any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Why do publishers keep giving Platinum money? Dont get me wrong, Im incredibly glad that they do, but their games are pretty much always a guaranteed flop. It just doesnt seem to make a whole lot of business sense.

I dunno.

Bayonetta did well, Metal Gear Rising did well.

They haven't had that many utter stinkers (maybe anarchy reigns?). Hmmm..

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So how do I drop a weapon Ive picked up? If I pick up a dropped weapon after all the guys are dead, it just means that Im slowed to a crawl until the thing is used up or I get hit.

Edit: Oh I found out. You wiggle around. Makes sense.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 17, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I've been playing this game quite a bit and the first thing I've learned so far is unlike MGR, Bayo, or DMC4 where I could take my rad beat 'em up and hack 'n slash skills into them and come out with relatively good scores and a good grasp of the game, I cannot do that with W101. This game is tough for me, like even knowing the gimmicks of enemies I'll still get caught off guard by something off screen, it's frustrating. The dynamic nature of the game sort of makes it hard to play sometimes too, I can remember several times when a building is collapsing or the loving room is spinning or I'm in a box and I got annoyed just trying to find my way through all of the anarchy, puzzles and being in a box. Bosses also felt like a puzzle to me, at times I could get them down pat, but then at others they would wreck my poo poo and I'd have no idea how to respond to them. I also feel like in general whenever a character chance for a counter pops up (Whenever the Wonder that can like reflect a move or interact with a boss) it's really annoying trying to find what the intention is. Enemies do a shitton of damage and it really feels like some of these gimmicks kind of drag the game down at points. I also hate the loving gamepad parts where an entire area is inside of a room and I can't see poo poo because the camera is both controlled with the gamepad and the shoulder buttons, it's obnoxious and nauseating.

This all being said though, I am having plenty of fun with the game. The combat is very smooth and it's easy to transition into Unite Morphs and whatnot. Using the Unite Attacks in mid combo (Where you make the shapes and then Press X) also is fantastic, I love that ability, especially with Unite Bomb. I like how every weapon has a purpose and doesn't solely exist for gimmicks (Okay, well Hammer kind of exists for gimmicks). It's easy to get into your Unite Morphs and just tear crap apart, especially with Claw and Sword. Hand being your central power though works, it's your damage dealer and what's going to be carrying you for quite a while, I love it. The boss fights are very dynamic despite being stationary for the most part, it feels like I'm playing Superhero versions of Revengeance fights and I love it. I especially enjoyed the Vorkkin fights where Vorkkin grows with you and does his set of nutty stuff, it's another in a long line of great rival fights that Platinum excels at.

On top of this the writing is really good. I've come to expect Platinum to have games with genuinely funny dialogue and great lines, but man I like every character in the game, especially White for the few lines he gets. The voice acting is superb too, accents are really cartoonish along with the delivery on a lot of lines being perfect, especially Green's who does a good job of being sarcastic as hell while still faking generosity. The other heroes are funny too, like seriously man how can a game with a hero that has a portrait for a face be anything but amazing?

So yeah, the game's got problems and I'm really not happy about how many problems there are, but there's enough good to make me overlook the bad and consider it a good game. This was the only other thing besides Last of Us I thought would top Revengeance as my game of the year and neither could, but I still feel it was worth the 60 bucks and don't regret putting time into it. I just wish some of the more gimmicky parts of the game were looked into more and handled better, it seems like Platinum was insanely ambitious with this game, but it didn't pan out as well as they thought it would. I'm especially sad to say this because I love Hideki Kamiya's games and he's my favorite video game dude out there right now.

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
There's something strange going on with taunting, even after reading that article. I've only managed to do it successfully once.

Gutcruncher posted:

So how do I drop a weapon Ive picked up? If I pick up a dropped weapon after all the guys are dead, it just means that Im slowed to a crawl until the thing is used up or I get hit.

Edit: Oh I found out. You wiggle around. Makes sense.

You can also use Unite Ball to move around at a regular speed if you don't want to drop it.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

in the miso soup posted:

There's something strange going on with taunting, even after reading that article. I've only managed to do it successfully once.

You can also use Unite Ball to move around at a regular speed if you don't want to drop it.

I'm keeping Ball off for right now. If you really want to move fast and keep the weapon, use Stinger. Stinger dash everywhere :unsmigghh:

Also, my Unite Spring is ungodly awesome. Hero Time, mines, and Drill plus the infinite energy from drawing lines into enemies means non-stop bouncing and exploding and killing and slo-mo.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

in the miso soup posted:

You need to stand right next to an enemy and hold down X + A for a while. It's pretty risky, but I haven't had any trouble activating it when I don't straight up get hit.

E: Oh hey, Platinum fixed the blog entry. It used to say that the alternate input for the taunt was clicking the right stick, when it's actually clicking the left stick.

Doc V fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 17, 2013

Hook
Jun 3, 2011

red knight
I've played through 006A so far and I'm in love with this game. It feels like a good example of the benefits of having a simple (or rather, not hyper realistic) style. I've only had slowdown in a couple parts when fighting a particular type of enemy, and even that only came about due to team attacking and having several unite morphs out at the same time.

I only have a couple complaints. My major gripe is with the camera when in gamepad rooms. It's awful, even after fixing it with the right bumper. Generally just an annoyance but one segment in 006A was made much more frustrating. It's kind of disappointing because I think puzzles that have you react to both screens is an actual interesting use of the gamepad. Second complaint (that I expected but is still disappointing) is every time a new main female character has been introduced I get to roll my eyes at the fixation on how sexy she is.

Everything is great otherwise. Well, except that I've been getting more consolation prizes than I think I deserve, but that's my own fault for dying while trying to puzzle through encounters or taking too long to catch on to an enemy's weakness. This game is seriously fun and the set pieces are a blast.

Does anyone know if there is a way to view the various Wonders' intro/stat screens or character models outside the initial recruitment? I feel like I've tried everything on the game pad and in the menu. Hopefully I'm just being dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hook posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to view the various Wonders' intro/stat screens or character models outside the initial recruitment? I feel like I've tried everything on the game pad and in the menu. Hopefully I'm just being dumb.

Finish the game and you unlock not only that but bios for each one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone give me tips on the Shmup sections. I'm so loving bad at that genre that I die 1-2 times and then get pissed off. I also have trouble telling distances, so (009 spoilers) Racing through those small holes as Platinum Robo sucked complete and utter rear end and 1shot me

I really do love the game now that I'm getting used to the controls but all the "fun" new ideas kill me more then the actual combat.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
By the way, here's something handy to know when fighting certain enemies, especially Prince Vorkken. When you're not holding down the Y button, all of your Wonders stay spread out. The benefit to this is that they will automatically attack enemies they bump into, as well as the fact that a spread out group will protect the leader from a lot of attacks. This comes in super handy when Prince Vorkken starts busting out the Unite Claws. Get a little distance from him and keep your group spread out. All of the projectiles he'll fire from his claws will be absorbed by your group..

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just hit the biggest glitch at the worst time. MAJOR SPOILERS

"I am the space station! *turns into a huge gently caress off robot* UNITE UP *game freezes on a black screen with the music playing*

Just finished :stare: I love platinum games.

Is there a list of bottle caps yet? I wanna get started on those and some of these titles are vague as hell

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 17, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno what to say about that last battle. I wowwed, I laughed, and my thumb hurts from mashing buttons, really nice game though. Now hopefully I can get better and have a better chance at getting Platinum's. Does anyone know if there's a gimmick with the highest difficulty like with Bayonetta and Revengeance or is it just the normal stuff?

Also please tell me that, Immorta, Vorkken, Chewgi, Nelson, and Luka all join the team as permanent weapons. I'd love to use that drill whenever I possibly can.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 17, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Any character with a special Unite Morph is unlockable.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Yeah I haven't heard anything about the difficulties beyond Normal. I really hope they're different in some way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

whaley posted:

Yeah I haven't heard anything about the difficulties beyond Normal. I really hope they're different in some way.

Enemy placement changes. I haven't fooled around with the hardest difficulty mode but I think it removes slowdown during drawing ala Mission Mode.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What am I missing with the hammer? I found a secret portal thing and it gives me like 15 guys and wants me to wreck house with the hammer but... the thing is so goddamn slow and unless I can make it large enough I never seem to get anything done with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What am I missing with the hammer? I found a secret portal thing and it gives me like 15 guys and wants me to wreck house with the hammer but... the thing is so goddamn slow and unless I can make it large enough I never seem to get anything done with it.

The best way to speed up the hammer is to use it and level up your hammer skills. Rising and Cyclone on the Hammer drastically speed it up

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The one in 5B? Use the rising and falling combo. The little guys who die in one hit should drop random weapons you can pick up. Since they're random they may or may not be worth using :v:

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
I feel like im missing something with the mission mode. Easy-a for example i can't do better than gold. The first part of easy-a my best is around 1min 9 seconds and 30k combo score but that's only a gold. Using everything i can, not taking any damage but still only manage gold. Record is 3:39 and 41k combo for easy-A.

Joink fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 18, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

So did Nintendo hire old Dexters lab voice actors for the game? Because Green and Blue sound exactly like Dexter and Vanhallen from the justice friends.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pixeltendo posted:

So did Nintendo hire old Dexters lab voice actors for the game? Because Green and Blue sound exactly like Dexter and Vanhallen from the justice friends.

Funny enough neither Candy Milo or Tom Kenny are in the game. Blue is voiced by Roger Craig Smith of Chris Redfield, Sonic the Hedgehog, and the new Batman for Arkham Origins fame. Green is voiced by Kari Wahlgren who's voiced characters like Lady (DMC), Courtney Collins, and Elena Ivanova. Platinum does a really good job of getting mainstream animation VAs for their games also has Fred Tatasciore (Chewgi, Shirogane), Debi Debiberry (Luka), and even Tara Strong (Wonder Pink). I dunno how a Japanese-based company that doesn't do gangbusters on their games gets access to Union VAs, but they do it and they make their games in English before there is a Japanese version more often than not and it's always great since the localization team they have does a fantastic job.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Are Stinger, Rising, and Cyclone the only skills unite morphs get? I'm hoping for more variety than that but it's fine in any case.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I just beat Operations 005 and 006.

This loving game :allears:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Only just finished 001C. My god that was so much fun.

Question about the first section:
It took ages to whittle away his health while flying the ship. Is there anything in particular I should be targeting or trying?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone gimmie a hand, I want one of the unlockable characters but in order to get it I need to use 10 unite morphs in a single combo.

I drill, gun, tombstone, rocket, hammer, dodge (spike/slinky), sword, bomb, punch, claw, whip, etc but it won't pop for me.

Gets nice points though I guess.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Are you sure you need 10 different Morphs instead of just doing Hand -> Sword -> Hand -> Sword etc?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dunban posted:

Are you sure you need 10 different Morphs instead of just doing Hand -> Sword -> Hand -> Sword etc?

"Land 10 types of Unite Morph attacks in a single combo." Is all it says, so trying to figure that out.

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
Try doing it against thegenerators near the end of 009-b, when you have naginata, boomerang and crossbow.

New short Saur video about juggling with non-combat unite morphs!

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Check it out everybody it's the same thing as Pikmin practically, it's like they're the same game, I mean it

whaley fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 19, 2013

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
The Wonderful 101 is a really good game even though some parts in the middlish (particularly around operation 004) made me mad. The ending was really good but I'm really scared about the prospect of going for high scores and platinums. Ok those are my thoughts on the video game.

e: actually also is there anywhere online I can find a high resolution version of that fuckhuge image at the very end of the game? You know the one.

Raizor fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 19, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Just stayed up all night finishing this.

game of the fuckin year

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Man operation 7 was super underwhelming compared to the previous 6. Oh well.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
This is the best anything ever.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Where did you find him?

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
So I just found out that while Unite Bomb never gains any skills, the inputs for the skills the other Unite Morphs get still do things. Wonderful Stinger makes you throw the bomb further ahead of you, Wonderful Rising makes you throw the bomb upwards into the air, and Wonderful Cyclone makes you throw multiple bombs all around you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What's the deal with Unite Rocket? I bought it after Operation 001 because it seemed like it would come in handy to reach things that were high up. But now I can't figure out how to activate it. It looks like I'm supposed to hold down the B button to charge it up but when I do nothing's happening. And yes I do have it turned on. What am I missing?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dunban posted:

Where did you find him?

006B, IIRC. You need to open up a cave by melting some ice with your fire/hand combo.

Also, to use unite rocket you have to mash b and it will launch when you stop.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

006B, IIRC. You need to open up a cave by melting some ice with your fire/hand combo.

Also, to use unite rocket you have to mash b and it will launch when you stop.

Oh it's mash B. Thank you. That little graphic with a downwards facing arrow was not clear at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

Chip Cheezum posted:

So I just found out that while Unite Bomb never gains any skills, the inputs for the skills the other Unite Morphs get still do things. Wonderful Stinger makes you throw the bomb further ahead of you, Wonderful Rising makes you throw the bomb upwards into the air, and Wonderful Cyclone makes you throw multiple bombs all around you.

Oh, I suppose that makes sense. I was kind of confused about why sometimes I'd throw out an assload of bombs, I thought it might have been my drawing size.

• Locked thread