Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
I wonder what Trinity and Scion 2nd Edition (?!) will bring to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Stephenls posted:

We really are going to be shooting for Old-Timey White Wolf levels of release density once the corebook is out—that was six to eight releases per gameline per year, although in this case it's just the one gameline. Those numbers were doable back in the day.

What's got you guys convinced you can meet that kind of pace again? Is it just a change in workflow, is it the way the PoD/Kickstarter model affects your income? Do you just have a bunch of freelancers churning away under the lash in Rich Thomas's basement?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Attorney at Funk posted:

What's got you guys convinced you can meet that kind of pace again? Is it just a change in workflow, is it the way the PoD/Kickstarter model affects your income? Do you just have a bunch of freelancers churning away under the lash in Rich Thomas's basement?

We hit deadline for Autochthonia and Masters of Jade; Shards was two months late, which is not ideal, but not terrible all things considered. We're picking up more freelancers -- the Exalted crew at this point includes two or three people who have writing chops and are in on the conversation and Skype meetings but not actually contributing text to the corebook because they were brought on after the assignments went out; they'll be given supplement work. Rich has hella-tons of experience on keeping a line on track. Things look pretty good.

It's just, well, corebooks. Corebooks are something else.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

NIV3K posted:

I can almost guarantee they will not meet it. At least with regards to the splat books.

I really hope they don't, given how sticking to the planned release schedule for 2E really resulted in some shoddy work as they were badly rushed.

Stephenls posted:

It's just, well, corebooks. Corebooks are something else.

Mummy: The Curse was also hella late, IIRC.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm all good. I just want the best product I can defend my house with. If it takes a little bit extra then that is ok.

Also I am seriously hyped about 3rd Edition Trinity. I really want to take my guy from Adventure all the way to Aeon.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
There was a thing about how the Charm fluff needed to be worked on or revised.

I was going to make a joke that they had to excise all the awful creepy charms from the Solar charmset.

Oh wait I just did.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bedlamdan posted:

Mummy: The Curse was also hella late, IIRC.

Not really. The printed copies are late because the printer royally screwed up the embossing on the covers and they had to be completely redone, but the PDFs went out a long time ago.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Swagger Dagger posted:

Not really. The printed copies are late because the printer royally screwed up the embossing on the covers and they had to be completely redone, but the PDFs went out a long time ago.

Pretty sure even the PDF was a lot later than it was supposed to be. This caused some additional problems because the God-Machine Chronicles came out very shortly afterward and Mummy wasn't built to work with the God-Machine (as it probably would have been if they'd realized it would come out just a month or two before).

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Pretty sure even the PDF was a lot later than it was supposed to be. This caused some additional problems because the God-Machine Chronicles came out very shortly afterward and Mummy wasn't built to work with the God-Machine (as it probably would have been if they'd realized it would come out just a month or two before).

I also know the kickstarter for the product was also heavily delayed.

But the final product was worth it!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm not sure who actually follows this thread but doesn't follow the Nishkriya tracker site thing, but here's good news:

Nishkriya.com posted:

The Demented One wrote:
My take on Abyssals: Humerus Caste, Mandible Caste, Cranium Caste, Femur Caste, Pelvis Caste. Also none of them have skin. Or muscles. Or organs. All Abyssals are skeletons.

Holden, on a separate subject, wrote:
Good news: It will be. 3e Breeding is probably going to be a fixed-cost Merit denoting good breeding, and conferring social advantages in Dynastic society and a greater likelihood of your kids Exalting. The 1e/2e Breeding Merit, while it made sense as a setting expression given the importance of strong blood for the Dragon-Blooded... as a game element, it had all the problems of Generation and none of the benefits.

I don't actually care a lot about Dragon-Blooded but if I can't play an Abyssal character who is literally a skeleton from head to toes there's gonna be trouble.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

I don't actually care a lot about Dragon-Blooded but if I can't play an Abyssal character who is literally a skeleton from head to toes there's gonna be trouble.

Foolish, naive Ferrinus. You should have checked more recently, that your dreams may be destroyed.

The Demented One posted:

One of the perks of having Freelancer Charms is that people assume I am much more insightful and meaningful when I post than I am actually am. ^_^

I just think skeletons are really funny. They're like regular people, but skeletons!

No longer tying motes to breeding levels is really nice though. Anything that makes it easier to be a scruffy looking, yet magical, Toshiro Mifune is good in my book.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
That doesn't mean Demented One can't exert some kind of influence and ensure there's a Resistance charm somewhere that removes all your flesh or something like that. I still believe

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

That doesn't mean Demented One can't exert some kind of influence and ensure there's a Resistance charm somewhere that removes all your flesh or something like that. I still believe

Just make your character App 0 and play it as being a spooky scary skeleton, 24/7.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Bedlamdan posted:

Just make your character App 0 and play it as being a spooky scary skeleton, 24/7.

Yeah, App 0 you can look like a dessicated mummy corpse.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Okay but let's be serious here: from the looks of things if you're App 0 you'll probably be missing out on like 50% of the Abyssal power set. Not being a haunting and seductive skeleton will probably hamstring you completely, even though you don't actually have any hamstrings.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Please: say yes to bone powers, and no to boning powers.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Okay but let's be serious here: from the looks of things if you're App 0 you'll probably be missing out on like 50% of the Abyssal power set. Not being a haunting and seductive skeleton will probably hamstring you completely, even though you don't actually have any hamstrings.

Seriously, fifty percent? Wow. Where did you find that out?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Bedlamdan posted:

Seriously, fifty percent? Wow. Where did you find that out?

Proctonumerology.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I mean, even taking this seriously, boning powers as opposed to bone powers really aren't all that much of a dealbreaker, are they? People are able to enjoy Apocalypse World and it's got problematic content all over the place.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Clearly you weren't here when Ghostrapegate exploded on this thread.

Lets just say that it is a very sensitive subject that a few people believe that WW is not handling correctly. Also Holden, a developer, came on to the boards, got snarky, said some really stupid things and then got banned.

My golden orichalcum edition is now the sign of my sin of trying to defend him.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Clearly you weren't here when Ghostrapegate exploded on this thread.

Lets just say that it is a very sensitive subject that a few people believe that WW is not handling correctly. Also Holden, a developer, came on to the boards, got snarky, said some really stupid things and then got banned.

My golden orichalcum edition is now the sign of my sin of trying to defend him.

I uh, I was there. :haw:

I agree that the charms preview is bad, but I think they'll be changed. I was really dubious of the whole "rape-ghost" meme for a while, even if I agree that I'd have preferred the charms to be more tasteful and have more utility. Besides which, there are other games on SA with even more problematic content that still have a strong following here.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
My apologies then. I do agree that those charms can work, they just need retooling and better word choice.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

My apologies then. I do agree that those charms can work, they just need retooling and better word choice.

I'd frankly have preferred an emphasis on co-dependence rather than actual lust and sex as a theme, to be honest. Anyways, the only thing I'm really having issue with right now is the "hilarious" ironic rape jokes that the preview has inspired for this thread.

"Haha sure hope the ghosts don't rape you," says the James Desborough of internet comedy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

"Haha sure hope the ghosts don't rape you," says the James Desborough of internet comedy.

Says who, exactly?

I mean, I understand that you were "dubious" of the rape-ghost "meme", so you'd surely be a trustworthy source, here.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Says who, exactly?

I mean, I understand that you were "dubious" of the rape-ghost "meme", so you'd surely be a trustworthy source, here.

I mean, you just said that an ugly skeleton won't be very good at raping people nine posts up? Unless you're literally meaning "haunting" and "seduction" here, in which case I apologize, but Ferrinus don't take advantage of my love of skeletons to make a joke about skeletons sexually assaulting haunting and seducing people.

Skeletons are really important parts of the body, you know? Respect them.

EDIT: Actually, realtalk. I realize that the whole haunting and seduction joke is funny, but it's starting to get more than a little tasteless to bring up the "rapeghosts" constantly. Especially for the sake of wacky humor.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 18, 2013

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Bedlamdan posted:

EDIT: Actually, realtalk. I realize that the whole haunting and seduction joke is funny, but it's starting to get more than a little tasteless to bring up the "rapeghosts" constantly. Especially for the sake of wacky humor.

Realtalk: The people who added rape charms to the game and aggressively defended them (and have still not put up the promised post-kickstarter apology, for that matter) are the ones who are tasteless, not the people who are making fun of them for doing that.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

BryanChavez posted:

Realtalk: The people who added rape charms to the game and aggressively defended them (and have still not put up the promised post-kickstarter apology, for that matter) are the ones who are tasteless, not the people who are making fun of them for doing that.

Well, then we'll enjoy our ironic rape-jokes, because this is how we show that rape is not a laughing matter. We can't make fun of someone without it, the rapejoke is just too important.

That said, I'm also pretty down about the lack of post-kickstarter apology though. What happened with that?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

I mean, you just said that an ugly skeleton won't be very good at raping people nine posts up?

But... I didn't.

You can go and read it, we're using a text-based medium here. Seems like you might have a few issues to work through, here, despite your facility with memes.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

But... I didn't.

You can go and read it, we're using a text-based medium here. Seems like you might have a few issues to work through, here, despite your facility with memes.

Haunting and seducing people, my apologies.

The words just blur together.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Bedlamdan posted:

Well, then we'll enjoy our ironic rape-jokes, because this is how we show that rape is not a laughing matter.

Point out the irony, please. Instead of the things that were actually said. It was not a rape-joke, it was a joke about people who included rape charms in a game. Rape is not a laughing matter. Stupid fuckers who include rape charms in a preview for a new edition of a game, and then doggedly defend them on an internet forum, are totally a laughing matter.

BryanChavez fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 19, 2013

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

BryanChavez posted:

Rape is not a laughing matter.

I'm glad you said that. My apologies for misinterpreting your intentions, I assumed that "haunting and seducing" was being used as a euphemism for rape.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

gently caress no, I wouldn't do that. That's the developers of Exalted 3e's job.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bedlamdan posted:

I hope that being spooky, scary, and a skeleton are all available traits, and all of them come with complementary, but not mandatory, bonuses. Therefore, you could be a spooky skeleton (but not scary), scary (but neither spooky nor a skeleton), etc.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Skeletons are played out. If I can't play a Draugr as an Abyssal Exalt, then the developers have failed in their job. This includes blanket immunity to everything but stripping down to the waist and wrasslin' me.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm glad you said that. My apologies for misinterpreting your intentions, I assumed that "haunting and seducing" was being used as a euphemism for rape.

While they ran as far as possible from the actual no-bones(heh)-about-it rape powers that featured in the initial Abyssals preview, the Exalted writers appear to be clinging to the otherwise-harmless tastelessness with incredible tenacity. Therefore, one could claim that in an Abyssals game, even fleshless skeletons will have to worry about their ability to literally, non-euphemistically seduce people, since at least some members of the writing team appear dead(heh) set on making sure there are a bunch of Charms that only function when your character fucks, even if those Charms are carefully vetted for offensive content.

That's the joke.

Ahaha!

What I don't get is how this:

quote:

I was really dubious of the whole "rape-ghost" meme for a while, even if I agree that I'd have preferred the charms to be more tasteful and have more utility. Besides which, there are other games on SA with even more problematic content that still have a strong following here.

-isn't supposed to be read as an implicit defense for the same kind of deplorable behavior you were imputing to me just a few posts ago.

Nessus posted:

I hope that being spooky, scary, and a skeleton are all available traits, and all of them come with complementary, but not mandatory, bonuses. Therefore, you could be a spooky skeleton (but not scary), scary (but neither spooky nor a skeleton), etc.

Yes, exactly. I could just describe App 0 as "skeletal", but I'd love to have some game element that I can point to that makes arrows pass harmlessly through my rib cage, etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ferrinus posted:

-isn't supposed to be read as an implicit defense for the same kind of deplorable behavior you were imputing to me just a few posts ago.
I dimly recall at the time of this unpleasant revelation, we were speculating that a charm which created dependent ghost minions in a generic sense (they could need cocaine, parental affection, cherry blossom viewings, etc.) would have potential use, perhaps it is that he refers to.

quote:

Yes, exactly. I could just describe App 0 as "skeletal", but I'd love to have some game element that I can point to that makes arrows pass harmlessly through my rib cage, etc.
I hope if there's still some neo-perfect defense, it has a title along the lines of "The Only Thing That Could Survive That Is A Corpse." SFX: "Guess what you are, little buddy?"

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

But can you be a seductive skeleton?

:v:

Ferrinus posted:

While they ran as far as possible from the actual no-bones(heh)-about-it rape powers that featured in the initial Abyssals preview, the Exalted writers appear to be clinging to the otherwise-harmless tastelessness with incredible tenacity. Therefore, one could claim that in an Abyssals game, even fleshless skeletons will have to worry about their ability to literally, non-euphemistically seduce people, since at least some members of the writing team appear dead(heh) set on making sure there are a bunch of Charms that only function when your character fucks, even if those Charms are carefully vetted for offensive content.

That's the joke.

Ahaha!

What I don't get is how this:

I don't think I disagree with your first point, that yes the powers will be sexual in nature and thus worse than alternatives. But it's certainly not as bad as the original powers which were incredibly rapey, and like I said before, special gently caress-powers that activate only on sex or are related solely to sex isn't anything really new. And I don't mean just like for games like FATAL and Black Tokyo; even World of Darkness, Apocalypse World, or Legends of the Wulin has things like that. But you can ignore these aspects, or work around that, and I don't think that that's bad enough to bother me, personally. Anyone else who doesn't want to try the game because of it, feel free. I am not judging your decision and it's up to people to decide what they're comfortable with.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nessus posted:

I hope if there's still some neo-perfect defense, it has a title along the lines of "The Only Thing That Could Survive That Is A Corpse." SFX: "Guess what you are, little buddy?"

"Wounds Mean Nothing" has always been a great charm name.

Actually, Ex3 looks like it's going to have pretty good charm names - that barely-legible mockup of the Dodge charm tree was, as I recall, pretty short on the [Straightforward Verb] [Method/Prana/Technique/etc.] formula.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Bedlamdan posted:

I don't think I disagree with your first point, that yes the powers will be sexual in nature and thus worse than alternatives. But it's certainly not as bad as the original powers which were incredibly rapey, and like I said before, special gently caress-powers that activate only on sex or are related solely to sex isn't anything really new. And I don't mean just like for games like FATAL and Black Tokyo; even World of Darkness, Apocalypse World, or Legends of the Wulin has things like that. But you can ignore these aspects, or work around that, and I don't think that that's bad enough to bother me, personally. Anyone else who doesn't want to try the game because of it, feel free. I am not judging your decision and it's up to people to decide what they're comfortable with.

If your only defense of this bullshit is OTHER GAMES HAVE SEX TOO in an effort to distract or derail the thread you should probably just stop posting. Also it is sorta kinda disingenuous to take the fake moral high ground when you are making up things other people say and calling them James Desnbrorough and suchlike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Also as a friendly reminder, if you feel someone is trolling or being a poo poo or whatever, feel free to report it. There is almost zero chance you will get actioned for making a report, for serious!

• Locked thread