Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Holy poo poo Taipei.

This has been a good year for older bands getting their groove back.

e: Unmake the Wild Light is perfect.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This isn't the full song, but here's a teaser for Taipei just to give all of you who haven't heard it an idea of what it sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH8NAUum0Tk

It's definitely one of the best post-rock songs to come out of this year.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

chunkles posted:

This has been a good year for older bands getting their groove back.
Speaking of this, the new Pelican album is also out there and I'm listening to it for the first time now. I feel like this is the same kind of thing for them. On this album, they feel like they're returning to their roots and it's glorious. It sounds like a cross between The Fire In Our Throats and City Of Echoes so far, which is a very good thing. Doesn't sound as much like What We All Come To Need, which I also appreciate because that was their weakest album by a wide margin. Their older sound was where they'd really shine, and this sounds like they're getting back to that.

I don't want to discount the new 65daysofstatic album and say this is better than it, but really, as much as I enjoyed that album, I'm enjoying this one more.

Glad both them and 65 are back at what they do best.

e: Actually, on second thought, I still like the new 65dos album more. This is no slouch, though.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 14, 2013

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

It's pretty good. They've always been at their best when the guitars just meander and explore, I'm not sure why they ever moved away from it.

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010
Not to bring everyones hopes up, but this guy on Reddit somehow gotten hold of Godspeed You! Black Emperor's All Lights hosed on the Hairy Amp Drooling. One of the only 33 copies in existance!

He also posted proof that looks LEGIT, and also uploaded a couple songs too till he can record the full album!

Here is the link to the Reddit Thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/1mcq42/godspeed_you_black_emperor_question/

Summory of what he said:

Reddit posted:

Okay, A little back story first. Sometime between 1990 and 1995 I was hanging out at this little place called Room 201 records in Moncton, New Brunswick. I always went there because I used to collect demo tapes from the local bands of every city I went to. Anyway, I was in there going through the tapes (Wow, Cassettes eh?) and I started talking to some guy, If I remember correctly he told me he wasn't local but had a tape I should check out. I brought it home and listened to it, didn't really like it, and stashed it away with all the other demos I had picked up. Fast forward to this week, I'm cleaning out my music room closet and I stumble across my bin of old demos. The tape I got from the guy in Moncton is sitting on top of the pile, I pull it out and decide to google the name. Anyway, this is it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Lights_Fucked_on_the_Hairy_Amp_Drooling According to wikipedia, it was limited to 33 copies and no copies are known to still exist. This is kind of cool. Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for some advice, what would you guys do with it?

*It would appear that my honesty is being called into question. I've uploaded a few pics of the tape to try to prove I'm telling the truth. I've never used Imgur before so fingers crossed this works. http://imgur.com/a/Z9Zmf

Okay, by request: one more pic with my user ID to prove I'm legit...http://imgur.com/GxZnQgV

*Sample has been uploaded here:http://bayfiles.net/file/Wiiz/tZNQJO/Godspeed_-_Moncton_Blues_-_Dadmomdaddy.wav

Also a better host for the music sample:
Mega re-host: https://mega.co.nz/#!LcxCnQQZ!RQDHFjaaakppfJv-AxY6pnn11kd8ke37MoVxJnSTsHA
Stream it: http://audiour.com/playlist/ckhbvtps

I am waiting for the full thing now! Also 4chan.org is going NUTS over it right now too!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Holy poo poo that's exciting. Gonna listen as soon as I'm not at an airport.

e: at the GY!BE tape, drat new page
e2: ok not a new page then, stupid phone

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 15, 2013

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh my word. If it goes up post a link. :filez: rules can gently caress off for something like that

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Someone called the guy an idiot on reddit during a discussion on the legality of ripping it and now he's mad and decided to not upload it. What a shame, I actually kinda liked the sample of it.

Here's it on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRIHNgwH0PE

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Speaking of this, the new Pelican album is also out there and I'm listening to it for the first time now. I feel like this is the same kind of thing for them. On this album, they feel like they're returning to their roots and it's glorious. It sounds like a cross between The Fire In Our Throats and City Of Echoes so far, which is a very good thing. Doesn't sound as much like What We All Come To Need, which I also appreciate because that was their weakest album by a wide margin. Their older sound was where they'd really shine, and this sounds like they're getting back to that.

I don't want to discount the new 65daysofstatic album and say this is better than it, but really, as much as I enjoyed that album, I'm enjoying this one more.

Glad both them and 65 are back at what they do best.

e: Actually, on second thought, I still like the new 65dos album more. This is no slouch, though.
The new Pelican is really good. I know everyone hates the drummer but his tone on this album is immense.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nanomashoes posted:

Someone called the guy an idiot on reddit during a discussion on the legality of ripping it and now he's mad and decided to not upload it. What a shame, I actually kinda liked the sample of it.

Here's it on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRIHNgwH0PE
Hahaha, of course he did :allears:

That sample's whatever. Certainly not worth waiting years to hear.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Now he's decided to sell the tape, but only if GY!BE's record company emails him saying it's ok. Apparently you need permission to sell a thing on ebay. He thinks that releasing an out-of-production only-33-copies cassette is a legal grey area.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Wait so are we getting the upload or not? I need this.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Wait so are we getting the upload or not? I need this.

Somebody sent him a death threat and he deleted his reddit account. I'm assuming that means we're not getting it.
e: The guy that sent the threat also got doxxed and his contact info's all over 4chan. Pretty sure we're getting a visit from the police instead of an album

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 15, 2013

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Man the internet is weird.

How much do you think that tape would sell for?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

chunkles posted:

Man the internet is weird.

How much do you think that tape would sell for?
Considering that mysterious Boards Of Canada single sold on eBay for 5 grand early this summer and it didn't even have any songs on it, just an announcement tone and some numbers read in a robotic voice, I'd say at least that much, and probably even more.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Reading this thread I got so excited, and then so disappointed/sad very, very quickly :( Seeing Godspeed again at the end of November. I hope they play a different setlist again, not so bothered about hearing the new stuff again, but I would kill someone to hear Sleep live.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I am not at all surprised that Reddit hosed that up as bad as they did.

For fucks sakes. :negative:

fujifisher
Sep 3, 2006

Hi there!
That second track that was ripped from the Godspeed tape ("Dadmomdaddy") sounds a LOT like Efrim Menuck singing, so I have very high hopes that this tape is the real deal. Hopefully someone will snatch it up off eBay and rip it in the next month or so.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Why couldn't it have happened in this thread? :smith:

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I had no idea Toe was doing a North American tour, unfortunately the Toronto show is already sold out :( I would have really liked to see them as who knows when they'll ever come back around. At least it prompted me to get my ticket for the Mono show in November.

Speaking of Japanese bands, here's one that I recently discovered and fell in love with, they're called 3nd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTjGMDkoq8

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

homewrecker posted:

Speaking of Japanese bands, here's one that I recently discovered and fell in love with, they're called 3nd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTjGMDkoq8

This is really good, but they broke up :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Wow, that Pelican album's a bit good.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

fujifisher posted:

That second track that was ripped from the Godspeed tape ("Dadmomdaddy") sounds a LOT like Efrim Menuck singing, so I have very high hopes that this tape is the real deal.

It has Efrim singing? Hopefully the guy smashed it, burned the remains, vaporised the ashes and then salted the earth.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The new 65daysofstatic album is pretty drat phenomenal. As much as I enjoy all of their stuff, this is the album Ive been wanting from them since One Time for All Time.

Also for any NYC goons, November is going to be pretty great for shows.

And So I Watch You From Afar is playing on Nov. 15th and 65daysofstatic with Caspian are playing on the 24th. All at really good venues as well.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Godspeed won the Polaris Prize tonight, did not perform or show up to the ceremony, and have announced they will donate the $30,000 cash prize to music programs inside Quebec prisons.

Edit: All hell broke loose up here after this statement was released, mainly due to backlash over GYBE taking government grant money to fund their tour.

A FEW WORDS REGARDING THIS POLARIS PRIZE THING

hello kanada.
hello kanadian music-writers.

thanks for the nomination thanks for the prize- it feels nice to be acknowledged by the Troubled Motherland when we so often feel orphaned here. and much respect for all y’all who write about local bands, who blow that horn loudly- because that trumpeting is crucial and necessary and important.

and much respect to the freelancers especially, because freelancing is a hard loving gig, and almost all of us are freelancers now, right? falling and scrambling and hustling through these difficult times?

so yes, we are grateful, and yes we are humble and we are shy to complain when we’ve been acknowledged thusly- BUT HOLY poo poo AND HOLY COW- we’ve been plowing our field on the margins of weird culture for almost 20 years now, and “this scene is pretty cool but what it really loving needs is an awards show” is not a thought that’s ever crossed our minds.

3 quick bullet-points that almost anybody could agree on maybe=

-holding a gala during a time of austerity and normalized decline is a weird thing to do.

-organizing a gala just so musicians can compete against each other for a novelty-sized cheque doesn’t serve the cause of righteous music at all.

-asking the toyota motor company to help cover the tab for that gala, during a summer where the melting northern ice caps are live-streaming on the internet, IS loving INSANE, and comes across as tone-deaf to the current horrifying malaise.

these are hard times for everybody. and musicians’ blues are pretty low on the list of things in need of urgent correction BUT AND BUT if the point of this prize and party is acknowledging music-labor performed in the name of something other than quick money, well then maybe the next celebration should happen in a cruddier hall, without the corporate banners and culture overlords. and maybe a party thusly is long overdue- it would be truly nice to enjoy that hang, somewhere sometime where the point wasn’t just lazy money patting itself on the back.

give the money to the kids let ‘em put on their own goddamn parties, give the money to the olds and let them try to write opuses in spite of, but let the muchmusic videostars fight it out in the inconsequential middle, without gov’t. culture-money in their pockets.

us we’re gonna use the money to try to set up a program so that prisoners in quebec have musical instruments if they need them…

amen and amen.

apologies for being such bores,
we love you so much / our country is hosed,
xoxoxox
godspeed you! black emperor

Bliggers- fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 24, 2013

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Capital letters are a bourgeoisie luxury.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
If anyone has yet to be sold on the new 65dos album you need to check them out live. Not that I wasn't already sold on it but drat, last night was kind of mind blowing.

Also Sleepmakeswaves are also just as good live! Never thought I'd get a chance to see those guys.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bagpuss posted:

If anyone has yet to be sold on the new 65dos album you need to check them out live. Not that I wasn't already sold on it but drat, last night was kind of mind blowing.

Also Sleepmakeswaves are also just as good live! Never thought I'd get a chance to see those guys.
You have no idea how jealous I am of you right at this moment.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I haven't been able to get into sleepmakeswaves' studio stuff for whatever reason but they are good on the stage.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Sigur Ros live tonight for the second time ever (and also second time this year) here in New Orleans. It was at this huge outdoor area right outside of the Superdome called Champions Square. They haven't used it for shows so far, but they're starting to and Sigur Ros was the first one. They have a bunch more planned. Last time I saw them was at the Bayou Music Center in Houston and it was awesome, but I think I actually enjoyed this one more because it was outdoors. The sound felt bigger overall, there was a bigger crowd that seemed to appreciate them more, and it rained during both Kveikur and Untitled 8 which loving ruled. They didn't use the giant shadow puppet screen that they used when I saw them in Houston, but their visuals were still tight. Jonsi kept playing guitar on the very edge of the stage and seemed to get the crowd more hyped than he did at the Houston show. They didn't play Svefn-G-Englar like they did in Houston, but they still played Saeglopur, Glosoli, Brennissteinn, Festival, Untitled 8 and a few others that I really wanted to hear, so I was definitely satisfied with the setlist.

Jonsi has the voice of an angel, and if you miss out on seeing them live, you're missing out on seeing one of the greatest live shows out there.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

I finally got to see them a few weeks ago in Michigan at Laneway Festival, the first stop on the NA tour. My brother and I got in super early and caught their sound check for Saeglopur, we were the only people there, it was awesome. Probably only 5000 or so people were at the show that night, so we were able to get right up to the stage. Jonsi was really feeling it that night I think, at some points he would tip over some of the lights on those stands with his guitar and make us catch them. Something I've never experienced before at a concert happened, after Varuo the crowd was just silent, not a single noise. About 10 seconds went by and then a cup fell to the ground; that broke the spell and everyone cheered. We met Jonsi later that night at the after party and got pictures with him, really nice guy with really wonky eyes. But yeah overall the best live show I've ever seen, will be tough to top.

Old Ash
Dec 29, 2012
I'm seeing Sigur Rós in about 4 hours. Got great seats near the stage and everything. All the talk I've seen on here about their shows has me really really excited, and I've been dying to see them for years now. I'm kind of bummed that the earlier material isn't showing up a lot on the sets I've looked at, but I expect it to be an incredible show regardless.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
New Russian Circles song.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/10/07/russian-circles-travel-back-1777/

:allears:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

gently caress yes, October 29 cannot come fast enough.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I listened to it like half an hour ago but forgot to post it in this thread. Man, it's so good. I really love the direction they're taking with this album. I'd love to see them perform this kind of material live, too.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

homewrecker posted:

At least it prompted me to get my ticket for the Mono show in November.

Just discovered they're coming to Cleveland as well, so I guess I finally get to see them live.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

amaranthine posted:

Just discovered they're coming to Cleveland as well, so I guess I finally get to see them live.
You're gonna love 'em :D I've seen them live like 3 times and they're a total blast every time. Full of energy. Moreso than a lot of other bands I've seen live.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listen to the title track from Caspian's upcoming EP: (Hymn For) The Greatest Generation

It's sooooooo pretty! :unsmith: I can't wait to hear the rest of the EP.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I just ran into Maybeshewill and had to come find the post-rock thread to loving guuuush :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrDBZMe6BI

I really only recently figured out that I should have been listening to Mogwai for years, and then I figured out what post-rock actually is and suddenly all of The Album Leaf and Explosions in the Sky albums in my collection made more sense. Then I found Maybeshewill.

:allears: I love this stuff.

I look forward to seeing what the rest of my fellow post-rock fans can lead me to from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

zxqv8 posted:

I just ran into Maybeshewill and had to come find the post-rock thread to loving guuuush :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrDBZMe6BI

I really only recently figured out that I should have been listening to Mogwai for years, and then I figured out what post-rock actually is and suddenly all of The Album Leaf and Explosions in the Sky albums in my collection made more sense. Then I found Maybeshewill.

:allears: I love this stuff.

I look forward to seeing what the rest of my fellow post-rock fans can lead me to from here.

If Maybeshewill is your speed you should take a look at And So I Watched You From Afar. Those are the two big names in fast, loud shouty post rock.