Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Novum posted:

Have you considered Krav Maga?

because I hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

SuperSix posted:

My school has a legit Judo club but a kind sketchy BJJ club (no real instructors). I was kind of set on doing BJJ but I think it would be a better idea just to do get into Judo first with real instructors. Am I right?

It's always better to go with real instructors. You can and will certainly learn things from people below black belt, but you never want that to be your primary source. Even though you have your heart set on BJJ, jgoes really well with it. I'd say at least half of the regulars at my judo dojo train in both.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ligur posted:

How can sharing happiness be useless :glomp:

grappling hugs are the best hugs because they tend to make you unconscious

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Why did you Youtube recommend me watch this :pwn:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hello thread I just want to profess that my extremely nerdy love of all things martial arts got me into actually practicing them almost 6 years ago. Decided to start with Hawaiian Kenpo in Puerto Rico with an awesome instructor for a year and a half. Then joined the Coast Guard and took a break from martial arts and briefly practiced Judo for a few months. Right now I am in NH practicing MMA in a small rear end, cheap as gently caress gym and I love it.

KingColliwog posted:

grappling hugs are the best hugs because they tend to make you unconscious

This, I love grappling; I can’t even get mad at people who just crush me with their massive weight/muscles/et al.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Where are you training in NH?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Novum posted:

Where are you training in NH?

The Shop MMA

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Great interview with ASA vice president and sambo Master of Sport Vlad Koulikov...

These were very interesting btw, thanks for sharing!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ligur posted:

These were very interesting btw, thanks for sharing!

My pleasure! If people like sambo, the Combat Sambo Russia Cup is happening in a few days (the 21st) and will be streamed online. I'll post links when that happens.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
In other news I hit the weights room again before boxing class.

Fun times:

One of our "clerks" who is a lifter came to along to help me learn how to barbell row and overhead press without loving something up. Honestly those two are real bitches to perform for a novice, who just boxes and does calisthenics ever. I believe she can actually lift more than I can with barbell (at least safely), even though she's a 145 lbs girl - and I'm a 200+ lbs guy :v: Well, on to boxing! I have two right hand gloves with me and none of the gloves at the new gym even fit my hand? *holds pads for other people for an hour*

edit: this weights poo poo should probably go to some other thread though

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Ligur posted:

And deny us the full Ligur experience? Perish the thought.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

YLLS has a poo poo ton of strength work-out threads, this one is the regiment I am currently doing. Yes it involves doing a metric-ton of squats but for guys that love to roll it pays out. Hell I got a back-handed complimented by one of the instructors when I was rolling with him. "When the gently caress did you get so strong?" :allears:

[Hip-thrusting dudes on a mat chat]

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I shall now venture back on the topic of proper Martial Artist diet, and will let you guys know I just had eggs, homemade bacon and cheese hamburgers and coca cola for breakfast.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I can't do starting strength and keep up my regular MT training schedule, the heavy squats are just too much. I love doing them but my overall form suffers too much from the crippling pain the next two days..

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

eine dose socken posted:

I can't do starting strength and keep up my regular MT training schedule, the heavy squats are just too much. I love doing them but my overall form suffers too much from the crippling pain the next two days..

I find this true as well. As much as I love heavy squats, they really take a toll on overall control of the legs. I've been doing MT for a year now, and I feel like I can squat on off-days but I don't have the time to go into the gym 6x a week on an alternating lifting+conditioning/MT schedule.

I'm thinking, theoretically, the squat programming could be modified to a different rep/set range so that it doesn't completely shatter you at the beginning of the week, but still make good week-to-week progress on a day before a rest day. Pressing seems to be okay for me even just before a session.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
We had this huge guy (6'2, probably 240 lbs) walk in the gym in 2011, and I tutored half his basic course. Decent boxer but Savate is a kicking art and JESUS CHRIST HE COULDN'T LIFT EITHER LEG ABOVE HIS WAIST. Or even snap accurate low kicks. He could walk like normal people, but after that he would have just as well with two tree trunks stitched to his waist, which he then tried to wave into the general direction of his target. Anyway he sticked with it for whatever reason, and last winter I noticed a huge difference in his kicks, and yep we all guessed right, he had stopped squatting at the gym.

Me, I'm just playing around with this weights stuff ATM and I'm boxing 80% kicking 20% right now anyway but I doubt I'll stick to any squat heavy regimen either.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

We had this huge guy (6'2, probably 240 lbs) walk in the gym in 2011, and I tutored half his basic course. Decent boxer but Savate is a kicking art and JESUS CHRIST HE COULDN'T LIFT EITHER LEG ABOVE HIS WAIST. Or even snap accurate low kicks. He could walk like normal people, but after that he would have just as well with two tree trunks stitched to his waist, which he then tried to wave into the general direction of his target. Anyway he sticked with it for whatever reason, and last winter I noticed a huge difference in his kicks, and yep we all guessed right, he had stopped squatting at the gym.

Me, I'm just playing around with this weights stuff ATM and I'm boxing 80% kicking 20% right now anyway but I doubt I'll stick to any squat heavy regimen either.

That sounds more like flexibility issiues than being huge issiues. I mean I have thunder thighs I can can kick pretty high! :v: Then again I always try to keep my flexibility and I will probably not go above squatting 200 pounds.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Ligur posted:

My workout program involves squatting Heavy twice a week, and I can't say it has given me any fexibility issues at all. Quite the opposite in fact, since squatting to depth correctly actually requires a fair bit of flexibility to begin with.

I could write down the program I do if you are interested. It is supposed to be tailored towards martial arts and I like it so far. I got it by a PT I trust who has an extensive backgroung both in martial arts competition and oly weight lifting.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ElMaligno posted:

That sounds more like flexibility issiues than being huge issiues.

It wasn't only a flexibility issue believe me, his legs were tired. He didn't turn into a head kick machine after easing down on his squatting, but the improvement in the range of movement, control and quickness was obvious.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do squatz ever, but for the average hobbyist who isn't a pro-athlete, and doesn't have a PT and free massages and bitches and grey goose vodka (he has to drink moonshine) and who can't take naps and rest and whatever, doing a lot of squats and a kick intensive MA at the same time can probably be a bit too much like the guys above have experienced.

I was seriously considering a BF class today, but I think I'm going to have to skip it, my novice wimp-rear end light squatting yesterday makes raising my legs high today feel too clumsy, and it also hurts now :\

edit:

DekeThornton posted:

My workout program involves squatting Heavy twice a week, and I can't say it has given me any fexibility issues at all. Quite the opposite in fact, since squatting to depth correctly actually requires a fair bit of flexibility to begin with.

I could write down the program I do if you are interested. It is supposed to be tailored towards martial arts and I like it so far. I got it by a PT I trust who has an extensive backgroung both in martial arts competition and oly weight lifting.

That'd be awesome!!! I'm not worried about flexibility (like you said squats actually require you to be pretty flexible) my worry is that it will just be too much on the legs if you, say, squat twice a week and do martial arts three, four times a week. When do you recover?

I used to get stiff from my legs just by training Savate four days a week, no squats needed! I poo poo you not, now that I've trained Savate very minimally during 2013 I can actually throw head kicks with ease almost without warmup, when I was trying to train it like crazy, by the end of the week I couldn't lift my leg above my ribs from all the kicking and calisthenics and moving I did.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 20, 2013

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
My lifting program requires me to squat once or twice a week, at different percentages of my one rep maximum (currently about 180lbs) across the course of a month I only really find when I'm doing the 85% squats that it has an effect on my kicking and even then 10 minutes into a Muay Thai session it's usually loosened up.

Any tips on getting good at push ups?? On a good day I can knock out 30 straight but I'd like to be able to do more

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ive seen a "modified for MA" starting strength routine floating around that doesn't squat as often or just does body weight squats on the 2nd heavy day or something that lets you keep up with your practice.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Ligur posted:

That'd be awesome!!! I'm not worried about flexibility (like you said squats actually require you to be pretty flexible) my worry is that it will just be too much on the legs if you, say, squat twice a week and do martial arts three, four times a week. When do you recover?

The probram is, as I mentioned, a twice weekly affair. I fit it in between three to four sessions of MMA/Thai Boxing/SW a week. I try and take one rest day a week. Recovery is fine, as long as I eat and sleep enough.

The program is as follows.

Day 1:

Varmup

Overhead squats - 2 X 10 - I usually do 10 with just the bar and then the other 10 with 20 kilos or so added. Trying to work the weights up slowly.

Main lifts

Power Cleans or Cleans - 5 X 3 - do whatever version you like best
Squats 5X5 - go for your 5RM and going below parallel. I'm currently at a paltry 105 kilos X 5 at 90 kilos of body weight, since I had to reset my weights a fair bit after sorting out my form and realising I wasn't close to hitting depth before.

Assistance stuff
Standing military press - 3 X 6 - My worst lift.
Weighted lunges with a twist - 3 X 12 (6 with each leg) - like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1gYjzJ2fjE. Do em with a weight plate in your hands. Try and increase the weight from workout to workout.
Pull ups or lat pulldowns - 3 X 6 - pull ups if you can, otherwise lat pulldowns
Bulgarian Twisters - as many as you can X 3

Day 2

Warmup

Squats to toe raise 2 X 10 - basically do a normal squat and at the end of each rep stand on your toes for a few seconds. It helps ensuring you keep a straight bar path. The weight shouldn't be all that heavy. Just to make sure you warm up a bit.

Main lifts
Cleans and push press - 5 X 2 Cleans followed by 3 presses - Do two Cleans/Power Cleans and after the second on keep the bar at your shoulders and push press it three times. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0oRc7daJ4
Front squat - 5 X 4 - keep your chest up.

Assistance stuff
Good mornings 3 X 6 - can be switched out for heavy deadlifts alternating weeks if you want. If you do deads, 3 X 6 is probably too much work
Dips or bench press - 3 X 6 - Whatever you feel like. I have shoulder issues and stay away from dips a lot.

Stretch properly after you finish.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
Any goons in the Manchester/Lancaster area know of a decent kickboxing or mma school around there? I've looked into a couple but want to know any specifics before I commit.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Martial arts bros who work out usually wind up focusing too much on powerlifting and not enough on improving mobility, stability, balance, and muscular endurance/recovery (which translates to functional strength in competition even if it doesn't make your max deadlift go up). In my opinion, at least.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 20, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ligur posted:

You need decent glute/hamstring and ankle flexibility in order to squat correctly and most lifters will actually be fairly flexible. Granted, I mostly hang around Crossfitters/O-lifters and not power-lifters.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
There is no reason you can't have massive legs and excellent flexibility so long as you don't neglect one over the other. Just look at the thighs on a male ballet dancer for example.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Taratang posted:

There is no reason you can't have massive legs and excellent flexibility so long as you don't neglect one over the other. Just look at the thighs on a male ballet dancer for example.

The gymnastic coach in my Crossfit box can easily squat 1.5xBW and is one of the most flexible persons I know.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The gymnastic coach in my Crossfit box can easily squat 1.5xBW and is one of the most flexible persons I know.

1.5x bodyweight isn't very much at all for a squat, though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

1.5x bodyweight isn't very much at all for a squat, though.

That would be 5x5. Don't know what her 1RM is.

(edit) Regardless, the point is that lifting weights does not inherently make you inflexible.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 20, 2013

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
1.5x BW isn't bad either for a full squat, most people aren't there at all even so called fit people. Anyway, flexibility/mobility isn't at all in opposition with strenght. If anything, weightlifting helped increase my flexibility, mainly in my hips.

At the same time though, mechafunkzilla isn't wrong either since most people who decide to go to the gym to get stronger tend to follow bodybuilding routine and a lot of them end up with some lovely flexibility/mobility because they never stretch and spend half their time doing curls and benching.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's also worth mentioning that muscle flexibility isn't the same thing as mobility, and just because you are flexible/mobile doesn't mean you are strong and stable the extremes of your ranges of motion.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
1.5xBW squats isn't shabby or anything but I don't think it should be remarkable. You can easily get somewhere in that neighborhood with a few months of weight training, and then the amount of maintenance required to stay there is just comically small. For like 10 hours a year you can continue to laugh at people who try to control your posture. It's ridiculous that more people don't do this.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's also worth mentioning that muscle flexibility isn't the same thing as mobility, and just because you are flexible/mobile doesn't mean you are strong and stable the extremes of your ranges of motion.

This gets into the reasoning behind the Iso Extreme method that Jay Schroeder and his guys use: Build strength at the extremes of range of motion, then use targeted plyometrics to learn to use that strength through the full range.

Interesting stuff, even if the biggest proponents of the method are lunatics

e: Me I powerlift because I am fat and want big arms with which to cuddle david carmichael

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

This gets into the reasoning behind the Iso Extreme method that Jay Schroeder and his guys use: Build strength at the extremes of range of motion, then use targeted plyometrics to learn to use that strength through the full range.

Interesting stuff, even if the biggest proponents of the method are lunatics

e: Me I powerlift because I am fat and want big arms with which to cuddle david carmichael

I'm so skeptical of that kind of plyometric poo poo. It might yield results in the short term but that's a lot of strain you're putting on joints that are much smaller than your ankles and knees and that aren't built for those kinds of shocks. Seems like a high risk of injury and the kind of thing that can cause problems decades down the road. And of course that kind of plyometric strength applies waaay more to a high-impact sport like football than grappling.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 21, 2013

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Guy's I've got a request please, I'm doing a course for a teaching qualification in a few days, one of the first thing's we are doing on the course is a 15 minute "micro-teach" based on a hobby.
I've pretty much decided to do a very basic Kickboxing/Muay Thai lesson, the thing is I have no idea what the group of people im going to be teaching is like (its very possible I could be teaching people who have zero interest in physical activity) so I would like to keep things very light and not to strenuous (I'm literally talking about 1-5% of the intensity of a normal training session).

So far I'm thinking of the following:-

3-4 minutes light warm-ups/strecthing
A few minutes on basic stance and guard position
4 basic punchs (jab,cross,hook uppercut)
some simple punch combo's (Jab, Jab + Cross, Jab + Cross + Hook, etc)

any of you guys got any idea's how i could make thing's a bit more exciting whilst keeping things simple?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gaz2k21 posted:

Guy's I've got a request please, I'm doing a course for a teaching qualification in a few days, one of the first thing's we are doing on the course is a 15 minute "micro-teach" based on a hobby.
I've pretty much decided to do a very basic Kickboxing/Muay Thai lesson, the thing is I have no idea what the group of people im going to be teaching is like (its very possible I could be teaching people who have zero interest in physical activity) so I would like to keep things very light and not to strenuous (I'm literally talking about 1-5% of the intensity of a normal training session).

any of you guys got any idea's how i could make thing's a bit more exciting whilst keeping things simple?

Don't teach something that involves exercise for a teaching certification class, dude. It's a bad topic for teaching and everyone's going to hate you for making them have to move around. And also trying to teach uninterested people how to throw a punch is going to make you look like a goony weirdo.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 23, 2013

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Don't teach something that involves exercise for a teaching certification class, dude. It's a bad topic for teaching and everyone's going to hate you for making them have to move around. And also trying to teach uninterested people how to throw a punch is going to make you look like a goony weirdo.

I appreciate your point, the reason I'm doing the course is because my workplace require's it so I can teach staff safety (I work in a police custody block) the course has a final practical assessment that require's me to give a 20 minute micro-teach based on my specialist subject so I'm goinbg to have to involve a physical element in that.
My plan for using kickboxing for the first kickboxing is based on the fact it's what I know, I can't really think of a subject I'm knowledgable enough about to teach that wouldn't make me look like a goony weirdo.

I should probably make it clear that this isn't the kind of qualification a School or College teacher might get, it's geared more toward's adult learning for the workplace (if that makes sense).

Gaz2k21 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 23, 2013

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Gaz2k21 posted:

I would drop teaching the uppercut because you only have so much time and it's more technical than the basic jab-straight. The time you have per person is further cut depending on the size of your class. Three punches is good enough and in twenty minutes I doubt any first-timers are going to have anything that resembles form. You might also consider substituting the hook for a right knee strike to get a jab-cross-knee combo (which makes it a real kickboxing class, rather than just a boxing class).

At my gym, I find newbies somewhat lost at free-form shadowboxing and heavy bag work. Thus, I'd suggest the core of the teaching come from individual pad sessions (like, 1 minute per turn) and gloves. Gloves (and pads) allow newbies to punch really hard, which is novel considering that the average person doesn't hit people at all. Encourage them to get the sweet smacking sound of leather hitting leather, which is good positive stimulation (and direct proof of learning something new) for students to practice good technique.

Don't get bogged down on the finer details of stance for newbies. I don't think people will appreciate proper footwork and stance until they realise that the definition of poor stance/guard is a position where they can't attack or defend well (inclusive of myself).

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Just teach the basic stance quickly (i.e. "first you need to stand like this" and pose like that, and while they are trying to mimic you, explain [i]why/i] they are assuming such a funny position) and then go jab + straight thrown from basic stance. Have them throw jab + straight in the air a few times, that'll be their warmup. If possible have them try those with gloves on with each other (the other person holding gloves as pads) and I swear at this point you're out of time already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Russians make a funny! I guess it's a shoot for an add or something.

• Locked thread