Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Renoistic posted:

It would help if her laugh weren't so creepy.

I wouldn't believe it was Annie's laugh if it wasn't creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

You're going to want to strip that link, Akarin. :filez: isn't allowed here unless under very certain circumstances, and that isn't one of them.

Thanks dude, I'll remember that :downs:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I feel pretty conflicted on what's going to happen. I guess I should feel better that the character that killed off the characters I liked is probably going to get comeuppance, but dammit I was also rooting for Annie to be a surviving character. :( I guess I'll see what happens, but I'm sure it's going to be despair all the way down.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

akarin posted:

Anyone else really enjoying the soundtrack? I kept noticing in the show how much emphasis the score placed on certain moments. The last minute of Vogel im Kafig especially.
Gives me goosebumps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEELr0_IyR8

edit: link changed

There was a month or so where I listened to literally nothing else. Now I'm doing that with the Gatchaman Crowds OST which, imo, is even better, and far more unique and interesting.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

The soundtrack is pretty good, but someone pointed out to me that it was by the same composer as Guilty Crown, which kind of ruined it because they sound almost exactly the same.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
Someone lovely laid the sizes of the walls over Google Earth.

Wall Sina (250km radius): 196,350km2 (75,811mi2)

Senegal, Africa: 196,722km2 (75,955mi2)
Washington, USA: 184,665km2 (77,116mi2)

To fly from one side to the other would take about 0:33.
To take a train from one side to the other would take about 3:56.
To drive from one side to the other would take about 5:00.
To walk from one side to the other would take almost 17 days.

Wall Rose (380km radius): 453,646km2 (175,154mi2)

Sweden, Europe: 450,295km2 (173,860mi2)
Caspian Sea, Asia: 394,299km2 (152,239mi2)
Japan, Asia: 377,930km2 (145,920mi2)

To fly from one side to the other would take about 0:50.
To take a train from one side to the other would take about 5:59.
To drive from one side to the other would take about 7:36.
To walk from one side to the other would take about 25 days.

Wall Maria (480km radius): 723,823km2 (279,470mi2)
Texas, USA: 695,621km2 (268,580mi2)
Burma, Asia: 676,578km2 (261,228mi2)
Alberta, Canada: 661,848km2 (255,541mi2)

To fly from one side to the other would take about 1:04.
To take a train from one side to the other would take about 7:33.
To drive from one side to the other would take about 9:36.
To walk from one side to the other would take 32 days.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

but how long on horseback :smugbert:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Bisensual posted:

That's actually way bigger than I thought it was.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Bisensual posted:

Dude. That's pretty drat awesome.

ViggyNash posted:

There was a month or so where I listened to literally nothing else. Now I'm doing that with the Gatchaman Crowds OST which, imo, is even better, and far more unique and interesting.

I'll check that out tomorrow when I get home! And I'd recommend anything by Yuki Kajiura or Yoko Kanno if you're looking for more good music.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

AnacondaHL posted:

but how long on horseback :smugbert:

Horses can apparently go 80 km/h. The car times are 100 km/h. So. Math.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
12 hours?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
A horse is not running at 80km/h for 12 hours.

(Basically the area enclosed by the walls are ridiculously and impracticably large).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

(Basically the area enclosed by the walls are ridiculously and impracticably large).

Not impracticable if they're for saving as many people as possible.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
How the gently caress were those walls even built anyways? I know that people rant about ~the gods~ giving the walls to humanity, could that mean that human titans were involved with it?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 19, 2013

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Marxalot posted:

How the gently caress were those walls even built anyways? I know that people rant about ~the gods~ giving the walls to humanity, could that mean that human titans were involved with it?

People have been ranting about ~*~The Gods~*~ giving literally everything from fire to iPads to humanity so there's also that to consider.

MetricUnit
Jan 2, 2005

Marxalot posted:

The walls seem like they're going to be one of the big mysteries of the show. They would have to have been built before titans existed, but why would you build 50m high walls unless you know the titans are coming? Where did they get the obscene amount of stone/labor to build it? I'm sure when it comes up the Wall cult is going to have our answers, maybe they're even responsible for creating titans and they built the walls because they knew they were coming.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
The Ming portion of the Great Wall of China--the one you think about when you think of the Great Wall--is between 5 and 8 meters tall and is 6,259 km long, and took approximately 20 years to complete.

If you assume that Wall Maria is about twice as thick as the Great Wall, then Maria has (very) roughly 4 times more building material than the Great Wall.

Using Ming Chinese technology and labor practices, it would therefore (again, very) roughly take 80 years to build Wall Rose. Unless they already built it for some reason, they were built by Atlanteans/Aliens/Titans.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

MetricUnit posted:

The walls seem like they're going to be one of the big mysteries of the show. They would have to have been built before titans existed, but why would you build 50m high walls unless you know the titans are coming? Where did they get the obscene amount of stone/labor to build it? I'm sure when it comes up the Wall cult is going to have our answers, maybe they're even responsible for creating titans and they built the walls because they knew they were coming.

The Titans have existed before the walls. They've actually be in existence for less than 100 years, as the whole reason they got built in the first place was humanity was nearly wiped out when the Titans first appeared. The only reason they were able to survive was they were able to retreat and concede most of the world in exchange for building walls to keep the Titans out.

I suppose it's possible that the construction of the walls will become a bigger plot point, but it seems more like a "This is a premise you have to accept or the story is not going to make any sense" kind of thing, without worrying about how they were able to construct walls that thick and high. And you could justify that, too, by saying it's possible the first walls were pretty weak, but humanity has been gradually strengthening them over time.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 19, 2013

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
Yeah, but how the gently caress do you build a giant rear end wall while keeping titans at bay?

I'm glad this came up. I've been asking that question for a while.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Bisensual posted:

Yeah, but how the gently caress do you build a giant rear end wall while keeping titans at bay?

Well, unless we know more about when they first showed up, it's hard to say. Did they show up all over the place at once, or did the Titans first show up in one specific area? If it's the first, then I really have no idea, but if it's the second, then it's possible some survivors had the bright idea not to stand and fight but just constantly retreat to Titan-less areas and start building while everyone else was getting slaughtered.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't exactly have the details, but I've been spoilt about how the walls were built. It's weird enough that I'm really curious to find out more, but alas, that'll have to wait until they either (a) explain in this season, or (b) I read the manga after this season ends.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Well it wouldn't have to be 50m high for it to start being effective, 20m give or take would take care of most abnormal situations.

They probably built from the inner wall outwards, taking as much land as they could before the rest of humanity died off. And you can assume they used the resources from that mountain in the inner wall, using a play from the Code Geass-Sakuradite-Mt. Fuji playbook.

Or it could be something simple and boring like warring states led to one nation building a wall, and they conquered and expanded twice.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Bisensual posted:

Maybe the livestock analogy is literal and the titans built the wall to sustainably farm humans :tinfoil:

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

You know one of my favorite things about this show/manga is that everything and anything that comes up ever is an important detail. Pretty much everything is foreshadowed even if you don't know it yet.

In many cases the answers are probably already in front of us.

LeafyOrb fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 19, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Phobophilia posted:

I don't know, the horses in this show seem to operate like machines and just run at high speed at an extremely consistent pace, for hours at a time. I'm no horse person, but wouldn't that kill the horses in short order?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They learned to make super-hardened steel so obviously they learned how to make super-hardened horses.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Sindai posted:

They learned to make super-hardened steel so obviously they learned how to make super-hardened horses.

By resisting them super-hard? I know that can harden part of a horse, at least.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

LeafyOrb posted:

You know one of my favorite things about this show/manga is that everything and anything that comes up ever is an important detail. Pretty much everything is foreshadowed even if you don't know it yet.

In many cases the answers are probably already in front of us.

So what you're saying is that they've applied titan magic/technology to horses. It's the only explanation.

So it's only a matter of time before they lose control of these horses and they start eating people. Well, there's precedence for that.

Edit: ^^^oh god why did you go there.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The aliens and supernatural talk makes me wish one of the titans ends up looking like that history channel guy with the crazy hair.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

snucks posted:

Maybe the livestock analogy is literal and the titans built the wall to sustainably farm humans :tinfoil:

It been said more than once that Titans don't actually eat humans for nourishment and just vomit the bodies up later.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sylphid posted:

it seems more like a "This is a premise you have to accept or the story is not going to make any sense" kind of thing
I wanted this to be the original idea but when it was mentioned that the walls were built after the titans came into existence and that titans began existing only 100 years ago, I couldn't help but believe there were some conspiracy going on. If it wasn't supposed to matter, 1000 years would have made more sense. Either history's being written wrong and titans were around way longer than 100 years or those walls have been up for way longer than 100 years, can't be both.

Not to mention that having an entire religion "come and go and come again" (remember in the latest episode the guy saying "oh it's a Wallist, I thought those guys disappeared" as if they were once a large group but at the trial the guy says the Wallists are "starting to grow in population" meaning they are making a comeback) based on the walls existence in just 100 years is utterly ridiculous. 100 years is a short enough time that records of how the walls were built should be all over the place. The fact that they aren't (and/or aren't detailed enough to disprove Wallists) just screams further conspiracy. Not to mention all the other random halfway-point infographics saying things like "how this works is a secret" or "this is classified information" means there's definitely a bigger conspiracy just the titan existence.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would like to believe that is what is going on, there is a conspiracy, but it's probably really just a huge plot hole.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

It been said more than once that Titans don't actually eat humans for nourishment and just vomit the bodies up later.
The Titans clearly have Bulimia.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Haven't you ever heard of binging and purging? :v:

So if we just take the titans to therapy for eating disorders, everything will be okay? :v:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I said come in! posted:

So if we just take the titans to therapy for eating disorders, everything will be okay? :v:

Then they'll just eat without vomiting, so you'll have less people eaten but you won't get any remains afterwards to bring to their family members.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

The aliens and supernatural talk makes me wish one of the titans ends up looking like that history channel guy with the crazy hair.

I'm not saying it's titans.

But it's titans.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I said come in! posted:

I would like to believe that is what is going on, there is a conspiracy, but it's probably really just a huge plot hole.

Yeah I'm sure there's absolutely no explanation for this ridiculous, seemingly inexplicable thing that's central to the premise of the show and is nearly impossible to miss.

If you'd said "I bet the author hasn't actually thought of a reason yet" you might have a point, although I still think I'd disagree. They've been pretty good about foreshadowing the twists so far.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think you give this show more credit then it deserves. The writing and development of characters and themes is really lackluster. There are a lot of things we are expected to just accept or come up with in our imaginations. I really like SNK, but it could be way better then it is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

II
If you'd said "I bet the author hasn't actually thought of a reason yet" you might have a point, although I still think I'd disagree. They've been pretty good about foreshadowing the twists so far.

IIRC Isayama pre-planned the entire story ahead of time (which is probably why the foreshadowing is so good). It's possible he hasn't come up with an explanation, but for something that big, it's likely he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Iunno, I can accept that the author has already planned things out.

That sort of action doesn't really carry a value judgment with it though. There are plenty of meticulously planned stories that blow, and plenty of stories that make it up as they go along turn out fine.

Based on what I've seen out of the anime I can tell that he has things planned out though it does feel like he has the tendency to advance the plot at the expense of character development.

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 19, 2013

• Locked thread