Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

toplitzin posted:

World's Best.

World's Best

WORLD'S BEST

I and my 5 cats agree.

World's Best is...

well...

the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Our guy has vomited about once a week for a month or so, but it seems to have been caused primarily by overeating. At what point do we take him to see a vet? He's vomited very rarely before, and we use a Furminator to stop him from ingesting too much hair.

Subderisorious
Feb 23, 2011
Anyone have advice on treating a cat with crystals?

My cat wouldn't stop licking his crotch so I took him to the vet a couple weeks ago and a urinalysis showed he has crystals. But they didn't give me any information beyond that and saying he should drink more water. So I dropped a lot of money on switching his food from Wellness CORE dry food to Tiki Cat wet food, a drinkwell water fountain and some powder stuff they sell on amazon for urinary tract health. So far, nothing has worked. He doesn't like drinking from a fountain and now that I google more, apparently you shouldn't feed your cats fish if they have urinary problems which is an issue since all of the dozens of tiki cat I bought are fish.

Any advice? Any supplements that work well or wet foods that will help more than others or any advice on getting my cat to use the drinking fountain? He is still peeing so he's not blocked but I don't want him to be in any pain.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
How bad is caffeine for cats, I caught my cat drinking a diet soda this morning.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

So guys, my little 5 month old kitten is now an 8 month old toddler-kitten and a huge rear end in a top hat when she gets on her fits of energy. Dashing around the house, meowing/whining loudly at things/toys, attacking anything that moves including my fingers, toes, wires, computer screens, window blinds, etc. I try to come home from lunch to play with her, then I play with her about twice more at night for 15-20 mins just to tire her out for bed.

So of course, since I volunteer at the SPCA, I am constantly bombarded with cute cats looking for homes. I am considering getting a second one to make life easier. But aside from the herp, derp, get a second cat, assholes, etc. What are the real challenges and things I can expect introducing a second cat? Like, already I am worrying about the simple things like feeding them and making sure they both eat their own food... I live in a one bedroom apartment, so I have very little options in restricting access to an area.

TL;DR My cat is a little demon and I feel bad during the week when she is all alone 8-9 hours a day, so convince me to get a second (preferably older) kitty.

Disco Salmon posted:

Litter talk.

I've had nothing but good poop/pee scooping experiences with Purina Tidy Cats. 35lbs for about $10 at my Petsmart.

Dead Cow posted:

How bad is caffeine for cats, I caught my cat drinking a diet soda this morning.

Caffeine is toxic to cats and dogs, but a few licks aren't going to send them to the vet. You would have had to have pretty much served it to them in their water bowl. Keep an eye out for any shakiness, vomiting, or anything else off, but I wouldn't worry too much.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 19, 2013

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Subderisorious posted:

Anyone have advice on treating a cat with crystals?

My cat wouldn't stop licking his crotch so I took him to the vet a couple weeks ago and a urinalysis showed he has crystals. But they didn't give me any information beyond that and saying he should drink more water. So I dropped a lot of money on switching his food from Wellness CORE dry food to Tiki Cat wet food, a drinkwell water fountain and some powder stuff they sell on amazon for urinary tract health. So far, nothing has worked. He doesn't like drinking from a fountain and now that I google more, apparently you shouldn't feed your cats fish if they have urinary problems which is an issue since all of the dozens of tiki cat I bought are fish.

Any advice? Any supplements that work well or wet foods that will help more than others or any advice on getting my cat to use the drinking fountain? He is still peeing so he's not blocked but I don't want him to be in any pain.

I have not heard good evidence that fish wet foods are a problem.

For an unblocked cat, more water intake really is one of the better things to do. Other than that, prescription urinary diets to control crystals can be used.

Cats can form crystals because they are stressed - is there anything going on that could be increasing his stress level? New outside cat? New construction nearby? Is cat? In those cases, additional litter boxes in other less stressful places, trying to remove the stressor, or even Feliway (cat pheromone) can be used to decrease stress.

Subderisorious
Feb 23, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

I have not heard good evidence that fish wet foods are a problem.

For an unblocked cat, more water intake really is one of the better things to do. Other than that, prescription urinary diets to control crystals can be used.

Cats can form crystals because they are stressed - is there anything going on that could be increasing his stress level? New outside cat? New construction nearby? Is cat? In those cases, additional litter boxes in other less stressful places, trying to remove the stressor, or even Feliway (cat pheromone) can be used to decrease stress.

I had been fostering a cat when the problem started and once I noticed it, I decided to give the foster to someone else in case the stress of having another cat was causing the crystals. But that was three weeks ago and it hasn't changed. Maybe I'll try Feliway just in case, although he seems to be acting normally.

I'm just not sure how to increase his water intake. Wet food hasn't made a difference, even though I add a little extra water to it every time I feed him. I'm trying to trick him into using the fountain by turning it off and placing his water bowl in it. I want to fix this before it becomes a blockage issue.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

JayJay posted:

Caffeine is toxic to cats and dogs, but a few licks aren't going to send them to the vet. You would have had to have pretty much served it to them in their water bowl. Keep an eye out for any shakiness, vomiting, or anything else off, but I wouldn't worry too much.

I'll keep my eye on her then. She was drinking out of it because the other cat was drinking out of the water bowl at the time.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Disco Salmon posted:

I and my 5 cats agree.

World's Best is...

well...

the best!

Sherman got a UTI within a week of switching to World's Best a few years ago, and since correlation implies causation, we immediately threw out the rest of it.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

PFlats posted:

Sherman got a UTI within a week of switching to World's Best a few years ago, and since correlation implies causation, we immediately threw out the rest of it.

We originally switched because our late little girl Gypsy had breathing issues with every other kind of litter we tried. Since then, we have had (with the exception of our sick kitty Stimpy, RIP lil buddy!) we have had no accidents or anything, no breathing issues with anyone (we have 2 with asthma), and the smell and general ickiness is dropped to minimum.

It's a bit on the expensive side, but if it keeps the smell down and my husband from bitching about paint peeling off the walls it's worth it to us.

Sorry Sherman didn't do well with it :( Poor guy...hope he is doing ok now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My cat's having problems urinating. He's been to the vet a couple times, got antibiotics, got anti-inflammatory medication, got an x-ray, got urinalysis. Everything is fine when he's on the anti-inflammatory medication but as soon as he goes off it he starts having problems again.

Anyone know why a cat's bladder would be getting inflamed over and over?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

My cat's having problems urinating. He's been to the vet a couple times, got antibiotics, got anti-inflammatory medication, got an x-ray, got urinalysis. Everything is fine when he's on the anti-inflammatory medication but as soon as he goes off it he starts having problems again.

Anyone know why a cat's bladder would be getting inflamed over and over?

May be Feline Interstitial/Idiopathic Cystitis - means their bladder gets inflamed for some reason, but not bacteria related. Most commonly associated with increased stress - changes to litter, new construction outside, new outdoor critter making smells/sounds that stress cat out, changes in your state/routine... Pretty much anything. They don't need to be nervous and hiding either - to us they may act just fine, but they could be feeling stress and just be hiding it because they're cats. Basically, try to fix the stressor, get them to drink more water (so things don't have a chance to form plugs), give them things to de-stress (more litter boxes, more attention, Feliway, etc.), and in some cases prescription urinary food. Pain meds and antiinflammatories certainly help this condition resolve faster.

Subderisorious posted:

I had been fostering a cat when the problem started and once I noticed it, I decided to give the foster to someone else in case the stress of having another cat was causing the crystals. But that was three weeks ago and it hasn't changed. Maybe I'll try Feliway just in case, although he seems to be acting normally.

I'm just not sure how to increase his water intake. Wet food hasn't made a difference, even though I add a little extra water to it every time I feed him. I'm trying to trick him into using the fountain by turning it off and placing his water bowl in it. I want to fix this before it becomes a blockage issue.

Sometimes the stress of having the inflamed bladder is enough to keep things going, even if the original stressor is gone. In those cases, sometimes longer term pain meds are needed so that the bladder can be as normal as possible before they're off meds. With some cats, they just don't want to drink more water - those are the tough and frustrating cases for owners (and myself, because I run out of ideas to recommend). Wet food provides a ton of moisture, but in these cases we want as much water as we can possibly get. Some cats will go for a slightly flavored water - adding a small amount of chicken broth or tuna juice or w/e could be something to try.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Hey guys, I just reread the OP to check if it had the link, but it ain't. I'm looking for a recipe someone posted years ago about homecooked cat food with chicken and rice and a few other things. I tried following the link in the OP to the pet diet megathread, but it didn't work for me so maybe it's archived? If so, could someone with archives repost it here because my cat has been having Digestive Troubles? I'd be mondo grateful. :shobon:

She's 19 and she adopted us as a stray when she was about 1. She's been healthy all her life apart from minor blips like a benign mammary gland tumour and a cyst on her foot, though she has lost weight recently (3.44 kilos, down from 4.1 in February) and has had diarrhoea since she did a course of amoxyclav for her foot cyst months ago, which has since been surgically removed. She stopped eating on Wednesday and had blood in her stool (melena) and she still wasn't eating yesterday and only moving small amounts of mucusy stool (though the melena improved from Wednesday to Thursday), so I took her to the vet this afternoon and he put her on antibiotics and told me to keep an eye on her. He also suggested switching her to a gastro health diet, so I bought a bag of that kibble too. She's eaten a bit of chicken breast today, but she hasn't done a substantive poo since Tuesday night and she's really lethargic, so I want her to eat more tonight. She hasn't touched the kibble yet. I tried to give her more chicken about two hours ago and she ate one cm square piece and then snubbed me, so I'll try again soon. The worst case scenario is that she has intestinal lymphoma, but it could just be stress-induced gastritis from me accidentally locking her on the balcony for two hours on Tuesday night. Mea culpa.

Unless her gastro troubles magically clear up, I'll take her to the vet again within the next fortnight, if not sooner. I trust my vet so I want to bring in the recipe to show him to ask if he thinks it's better than the kibble, or if there are any changes he'd make.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 20, 2013

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I intend to adopt two cats soon from a rescue which specializes in the rehabilitation and adoption of sick and injured stray cats. Many of their cats are injured, disabled or FIV+, so any general insight into these concerns (in addition to the wealth in the OP and throughout the thread) would be appreciated. I've been following the thread for a while and many of my questions have been answered, but I was wondering if anyone may have any experience or insight into a few questions I have that are lingering.

Are there any special, non obvious concerns when dealing with a one eyed cat? Is the lack of depth perception detrimental, or does it cause them to slam into walls (I have hardwood floors, so don't want any drifting accidents).

Similarly, are there any concerns with a 3 legged cat which would not come to mind right off the top of your head? I have some experience with a 3 legged feline, as a friend of mine has one, and she seems to do just fine in all things, but I had never asked specifically about perhaps less common problems.

It seems they do very well in socializing the rescues in the transition from stray / feral colony to adopting them out, but are there any special concerns to watch out for in the initial stages after bringing them home, aside from the normal homing progressions and such due to them being presumably born feral / stray? I hope to get young to mid adult cats, not kittens, since that seems relevant to this question.

I have a special soft spot for injured or damaged pets, so I really want to adopt from this rescue, but I'm also wanting to be fastidious about my research, and make sure that I'm informed about any potential special needs they may have which might be neglected or forgotten during the adoption process. Any input into these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
The only two things that spring to mind for me are that the 3-legged puss will have issues drifting around corners sometimes, so if she or he has a favourite corner to go crazy around a floor runner wouldn't go astray, since you don't want to run the risk of her/him smashing into the wall with the other leg and hurting it, because if the do it enough that's bad juju.

The other thing is that, if you choose to adopt a FIV+ kitty, you shouldn't or won't be able to adopt a negative kitty. It's quite an easy condition to manage, or so I'm told by friends who have had positive cats, but it's still not fair to put another cat at risk of being infected.

You're really cool to be dedicated to adopting kitties who people may not want because they have disabilities, because there's nothing actually 'wrong' with them. They're just a little bit different, and that's cool.

E: missed the bit about feral/strays. My girl was a stray who showed up when she was about 1 and had already had a heat, and while she was perfectly happy being fed and housed and having people to yell at, she didn't want to be touched for a good while. Especially not by me, but I was 6 at the time so fair enough. Kids are gross, grabby and sticky.

You no doubt already know this, but patience, treats, soft blinking and staring into the middle distance are the tickets. A semi-feral may never be a cuddler, and may be an absolute arsehole when you have to pill them and clip their nails, but them's the breaks because fuckin' cats.

If you're ok with letting a semi-feral outside I would do it. I grew up on a farm though, so if you're urban maybe not without a leash and harness, or if you're rural I absolutely wouldn't let them roam free if you suspect neighbours bait pests. The other thing that helped us with letting Teddy be an outside cat is that she chose us and yowled at our door and then we let her adopt us, so it was a pretty good bet that she would come back home when my parents let her out to hunt varmint/endangered species. Letting her choose a space she liked when she was inside and keeping me and my brother away from it also helped, because she had somewhere to escape to. My parents collected a shitload of books and general detritus throughout their relationship, so Teddy chose the pile of boxes as her domain and that was that.

I'm just rambling now because she's sick and I love her and *memories*, but to me you sound pretty drat prepared.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 20, 2013

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
FIV+ without any other complications isn't too bad. Just keep them inside and nip any signs of illness in the bud.

Both Butts and my family's cat back home have it. Obviously I can't really comment on Butts, since he's only been with me for a month, but the family cat is healthy and active at 12.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Marathanes posted:

I intend to adopt two cats soon from a rescue which specializes in the rehabilitation and adoption of sick and injured stray cats. Many of their cats are injured, disabled or FIV+, so any general insight into these concerns (in addition to the wealth in the OP and throughout the thread) would be appreciated. I've been following the thread for a while and many of my questions have been answered, but I was wondering if anyone may have any experience or insight into a few questions I have that are lingering.

Are there any special, non obvious concerns when dealing with a one eyed cat?
Similarly, are there any concerns with a 3 legged cat?

I have a special soft spot for injured or damaged pets

Well first off, :bravo: for adopting rescue cats. You are a champ and they are going to love the poo poo out of you.

In my experience with one eye cats from the shelter, there seems to be absolutely no difference. They never knocked into things and they barely seemed to notice. I haven't handled any that have recently lost it, so obviously that may be different.

For one legged cats, obviously there's going to be some differences in how they move. But for the most part, its not a big difference and you will probably be surprised at how normal he/she is. They'll probably do lots more flips and twirls during play, but aside from that missing 1 leg/1 eye doesn't have too many special concerns for indoor cats.

As previously mentioned, FIV+ basically means you can not have any FIV negative cats. Not a huge deal at all.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I went to petco to get some stuff before I get some new kitties and talked to one of the employees. She recommended Blue cat food and also she said that I should feed my cats a small amount of plain(vanilla) yogurt about once a month. Do both of these recommendations sound reasonable?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Marathanes posted:

Are there any special, non obvious concerns when dealing with a one eyed cat? Is the lack of depth perception detrimental, or does it cause them to slam into walls (I have hardwood floors, so don't want any drifting accidents).

The group I'm with doesn't put down FIV+ cats and we've had some experience with them in the last 10 or 15 years. If the cat is otherwise healthy and friendly enough to home it'll be cared for until someone like yourself comes forward to take it on. 1 or 2 have gone to cat people as long term fosters after it was clear no-one was coming forward. It's one of those 'it depends' things, the cats demeanor and health are the prime factors, age less so. It's best if FIV+ cats stay separated from other cats wherever they end up though as it's a blood and saliva transmission. Indoors or a well built run attached to the house.

One eyed cats: Had many of these sadly what with loads of nutjobs letting cats breed uncontrolled with no care and little to no food. Cat flu, dead kittens and eye infections for everyone (the SSPCA won't even go to these places). They get around just fine, catch mice and do all the normal cat stuff.

One legged: well there's Lotus. She still has the 4th leg attached but the 4 airgun pellets took care of any use she might get from it. There's one pellet left pressing on her spinal cord which couldn't be removed (lovely children we get round here). She's about 14 or 15 now, runs around like a mad thing still. She climbs trees and catches mice.

Good on you BTW and the folk running that place. Hope this helps.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Marathanes posted:

Colonel Tigh was extra-clumsy as a kitten, but he's adapted well to a one-eyed existence. No drifting more than any other cat, no slamming into things, very active player. He tends to pull himself up onto things rather than purely jump. I do try to minimize furniture rearrangement since he seems to memorize heights. Its important to keep him off really high furniture, and he did a lot better when I scattered 1 and 2 level cat towers around as steps to the bed, etc.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
Please help.. my two cats are assholes for sure. It's all about food. Someone should call PETA because I am starving them, obviously. They are dicks for food. They cry, they whine, they circle and SCREAM at me when I a) walk out of my bedroom (at any time) b) get near the kitchen (at any time), c) always. Right now there is a cat crawling on me meowing because there is food in the house I am not feeding them.

I've managed to get them semi-quiet when the actual "put the food down" part happens, but this is getting ridiculous. I am going to say that there is a slight chance that they are hungry.. but these buttheads get a can of wet food each every day and a little bit of kibble at night and they are nice and healthy weight wise according to the vet.

I've tried yelling back, squirt bottle, ignoring them... I don't know how to win and these guys are so rude it's not even funny.

Thoughts or tricks?

Or, anyone want a couple of rude cats? They love you, I'm sure.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
My girlfriends cats acting sick and the vet can't quite figure out why. He's around ten, spayed, and recently started being an indoor / outdoor cat in the last year. Over the last month or so he's lost his voice and been losing weight. The vet's checked his blood and can't find anything wrong with him, and we brought him for an xray the other day because they thought he might lung cancer or something similar. The doctor found nothing wrong. The current diagnosis is there may be something wrong with the lining of his intestines since his belly was full of food when he was xrayed yet he's still wasting away. Over the last month he's lost about a pound or so; he used to be around 11 pounds so that's a significant weight loss.

The doctor told us to change his food, and we're trying to keep inside, but he loves running out. My girlfriend tells me that last two days or so he's spent pretty much just laying around sleeping which is very different than his usual jerk cat nature. She can't really afford anymore vet visits and the vet is pushing for something else I can't quite recall at the moment (I want to say ultrasound) that she wouldn't be able to afford. It's really bumming her out that since she's had him since he was kitten and the vet can't figure out what's wrong while causing her to spend more money in the process.

(Other notes: two other cats in the house strictly indoors, and two big dogs that he's not afraid of)

triskadekaphilia
Oct 29, 2004

Lipumira posted:

Please help.. my two cats are assholes for sure. It's all about food. Someone should call PETA because I am starving them, obviously. They are dicks for food. They cry, they whine, they circle and SCREAM at me when I a) walk out of my bedroom (at any time) b) get near the kitchen (at any time), c) always. Right now there is a cat crawling on me meowing because there is food in the house I am not feeding them.

I've managed to get them semi-quiet when the actual "put the food down" part happens, but this is getting ridiculous. I am going to say that there is a slight chance that they are hungry.. but these buttheads get a can of wet food each every day and a little bit of kibble at night and they are nice and healthy weight wise according to the vet.

I've tried yelling back, squirt bottle, ignoring them... I don't know how to win and these guys are so rude it's not even funny.

Thoughts or tricks?

Or, anyone want a couple of rude cats? They love you, I'm sure.

Literally the only thing that got my fatass cat to (mostly) shut up about food was an automatic feeder, which I guess doesn't do so well for wet food :( It took her a couple weeks to finally accept that we weren't going to feed her, and she like clockwork starts meowing now about 5 minutes before the feeder goes off. It also goes off 4 times a day and gives her little tiny amounts.

When we were feeding her ourselves she would start crying earlier and earlier in the morning until I was pretty much asking everyone I vaguely trusted if they wanted a new cat :psyduck:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to say in response to posts a page back or so that I feed my two 4-month feral rescues Wellness Core No-Grain Kitten in both dry and wet, and they are growing very fast, running around like lunatics, and overall doing quite well. I found a good bulk deal on the 5.5 ounce cans of the wet on Amazon (about $1.45 USD per can), but I still wish that the dry food wasn't so bloody expensive - it's over $25 for a bag that's less than 6 pounds.

Also, I really like Swheat Scoop - it controls odours much better than that Arm & Hammer clay rubbish I had before, and being flushable is fantastic.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I have two problems I wanna ask the thread and I'm afraid for the safety of a few cats.

The littlest problem I'll ask first is that my bed is pretty big, Cooper, my year old cat likes to run under it, flip himself upside down and claw the poo poo out of the bottom of it. I've done everything I can think of and need some advice. I bought a scratching post and tried to direct him at it, I've bought catnip, I've tried yelling at him to stop but nothing, he just beelines straight from my bed when I have the door open and won't leave unless I distract him with a bit of string. I'd like to avoid declawing him but everyone in the house is getting fed up with him clawing and nothing working.

The other is more serious, while shopping this past week I went to wal-mart and saw something moving near the shopping carts, closer inspection I discovered 2 kittens, a siamese and a tabby. These things are young. Like fit in the palm of my hand young. I went inside and asked a few employees and found out someone killed the mom and they were fending for themselves, and were thereby terrified of humans. I bought some food and went to the side of the store and was able to feed them as they looked absolutely starved. (this was about 5-6 in the morning). I then discovered it's two siamese (one with blue eyes one with gold) and the tabby. I couldn't get too close to them but they'd advance on me to get food and then quickly hide.

Later I called the manager and tried to ask if they were going to call animal control or something and got a "heh who cares" response. When I tried to call them myself "Nope need the wal-mart to call us".

Unsure of what to do I gave up and returned that night and sure enough, there they were all 3 of them hiding. I got them another can of food and took care of them but can't catch them or anything.

Am I doing the right thing? I'm hoping to get them to trust me enough so I can get them to a shelter because wal-mart can NOT be safe for them. (And I want to adopt one of the siamese I admit). The manager doesn't really care that I'm trying this but I'm not sure if it's just my bleeding heart or what.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

So, I found a thing:

Found it a couple hours ago when tracking down the source constant meowing outside my apartment, while it was still very dark out. It was wet, cold, and I didn't see the mother anywhere. I thought I saw another kitten in the vicinity, but it ran and hid much better than this one when I approached. This one just wandered out into the middle of my apartment pool's tarp cover, but eventually fled to one edge in response to me walking around the pool, where I was able to grab it.

I dried it off and put it in my tub with a little bowl of water and some of my adult cat's (dry) food, but it hasn't eaten nor drank anything yet and I have no idea if it's even been weaned or knows how to use litter yet. It walks steadily and is about the size of my hand from fingertip to wrist when it's in meatloaf configuration. It's eyes are open, but I'm not sure it can see too well; it doesn't follow my finger like my cat does.

Having a second cat isn't really a commitment I'm prepared to nor can afford to make, but I'd like it to not die before I can figure out if anyone's missing a kitten and then what to do with it when no one is.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

So, I found a thing:

Found it a couple hours ago when tracking down the source constant meowing outside my apartment, while it was still very dark out. It was wet, cold, and I didn't see the mother anywhere. I thought I saw another kitten in the vicinity, but it ran and hid much better than this one when I approached. This one just wandered out into the middle of my apartment pool's tarp cover, but eventually fled to one edge in response to me walking around the pool, where I was able to grab it.

I dried it off and put it in my tub with a little bowl of water and some of my adult cat's (dry) food, but it hasn't eaten nor drank anything yet and I have no idea if it's even been weaned or knows how to use litter yet. It walks steadily and is about the size of my hand from fingertip to wrist when it's in meatloaf configuration. It's eyes are open, but I'm not sure it can see too well; it doesn't follow my finger like my cat does.

Having a second cat isn't really a commitment I'm prepared to nor can afford to make, but I'd like it to not die before I can figure out if anyone's missing a kitten and then what to do with it when no one is.
It almost certainly needs to be bottle fed. Maybe bring it to a shelter?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Josh Lyman posted:

It almost certainly needs to be bottle fed. Maybe bring it to a shelter?

Looked up the area shelter. Their site says they don't open today for another 3 1/2 hours and that they charge a fee to take cats. If it's anything remotely close to the one the area Wayside Waifs charges ($20 "non-refundable deposit" + $55 fee), I simply can't afford it. Do I just put it back where I found it and hope the mother's around?

update: Shelter's drop-off fee is only $10 and they'll be able to feed it. So, semi-happy ending.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 21, 2013

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, I really like Swheat Scoop - it controls odours much better than that Arm & Hammer clay rubbish I had before, and being flushable is fantastic.

Yeah, but when the urine clump breaks mid scoop...:barf:

ESPECIALLY if you have an edge pisser. :catstare:

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I have two problems I wanna ask the thread and I'm afraid for the safety of a few cats.

The littlest problem I'll ask first is that my bed is pretty big, Cooper, my year old cat likes to run under it, flip himself upside down and claw the poo poo out of the bottom of it. I've done everything I can think of and need some advice. I bought a scratching post and tried to direct him at it, I've bought catnip, I've tried yelling at him to stop but nothing, he just beelines straight from my bed when I have the door open and won't leave unless I distract him with a bit of string. I'd like to avoid declawing him but everyone in the house is getting fed up with him clawing and nothing working.

The other is more serious, while shopping this past week I went to wal-mart and saw something moving near the shopping carts, closer inspection I discovered 2 kittens, a siamese and a tabby. These things are young. Like fit in the palm of my hand young. I went inside and asked a few employees and found out someone killed the mom and they were fending for themselves, and were thereby terrified of humans. I bought some food and went to the side of the store and was able to feed them as they looked absolutely starved. (this was about 5-6 in the morning). I then discovered it's two siamese (one with blue eyes one with gold) and the tabby. I couldn't get too close to them but they'd advance on me to get food and then quickly hide.

Later I called the manager and tried to ask if they were going to call animal control or something and got a "heh who cares" response. When I tried to call them myself "Nope need the wal-mart to call us".

Unsure of what to do I gave up and returned that night and sure enough, there they were all 3 of them hiding. I got them another can of food and took care of them but can't catch them or anything.

Am I doing the right thing? I'm hoping to get them to trust me enough so I can get them to a shelter because wal-mart can NOT be safe for them. (And I want to adopt one of the siamese I admit). The manager doesn't really care that I'm trying this but I'm not sure if it's just my bleeding heart or what.

For the cat scratching the underside of your bed: I have heard of covering the underside of your box spring with a fitted sheet, then covering the fitted sheet with double-sided tape. The cat will dislike the feel of the sticky tape and avoid scratching it. Might take some work to cover the box spring but that seems like a cheap solution. You could also get some wood slats or somehow simply block your cat from getting under the bed.

Or, I just remembered Soft Paws! They are plastic caps that you glue to your cat's claws. They are humane and fall off when the cat sheds its nail sheath. Requires maintenance, but it can be made easier if you associate the attachment process with treats/stinky food or some other major reward.

For the Wal*Mart kittens: if you want to rescue them you could try a Hav-a-Heart humane trap? Lay it out with some food and see if the kittens go for it. You could also contact local rescues/foster groups and see if they could help you out. Keep trying until either the kittens decide they've had enough of you and disappear or you hopefully nab them. Don't feel bad if you can't catch them though, I think it's very kind of you to try and help them but animals don't always understand our motives. You're rad, the person that killed the mom cat is a gaping rear end in a top hat.

four lean hounds fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 21, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

toplitzin posted:

Yeah, but when the urine clump breaks mid scoop...:barf:

ESPECIALLY if you have an edge pisser. :catstare:

Yeah that's what got me to switch. One of the cats would dig to the bottom and cause terrible gooey clumps that broke when scooping, ugh. It's just... more prone to being gooey than world's best.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

triskadekaphilia posted:

Literally the only thing that got my fatass cat to (mostly) shut up about food was an automatic feeder, which I guess doesn't do so well for wet food :(

No, you can get them and mine use them no problem. Like this You can get them with cooler trays too but being in Scotland that wasn't necessary for me. When I was working longer hours and out of the house for over 14h I'd set two singles out when I left set for lunchtime and early evening.

With those kittens, a manual or remote control trap sounds like the best bet. Over here, you'd ring any local cat group (even some vets have traps) and either borrow a trap or they'd go get them. No idea what is customary where you are though but I hope you can find something.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Do not declaw your cat. Would you have your children's fingernails removed if they scratched your possessions, or each other, or you? Having a pet is taking on a responsibility for ensuring the life, health and happiness of another living creature, and if the underside of your bed or the upholstery of a couch is more important to you or your flat mates than the mobility of your pet, then you have to question why and whether you want to adopt a pet in the first place. Disfiguring an animal because you want to protect the furniture is a universe away from retraining them not to scratch or piss on it, since you don't remove a tom's bladder and catheterise them to stop them pissing, do you? Nope, you retrain them. And if you can't retrain them, you figure out another option or give them back to the shelter to be rehomed if your only other idea is to chop off their loving fingertips.

E: also there are a bunch of alternatives to declawing in the OP, so you should check that out as well as having me rant at you.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 21, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Right just kind of at a loss.

As for the kitten thing one of the siamese cats accepted me and is now at my place, she's only about 4-5 months old according to a vet I took her too but the new problem is my other cat keeps hissing at her and growling on eye sight. He still eats treats and whatnot but now he does it while growling (He'll even lick me while growling) but he's clearly unhappy with her.

Family says "eh he's just jealous he'll get over it" but I'm concerned, WILL he? Is there anyway I can help get him to accept her?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Right just kind of at a loss.

As for the kitten thing one of the siamese cats accepted me and is now at my place, she's only about 4-5 months old according to a vet I took her too but the new problem is my other cat keeps hissing at her and growling on eye sight. He still eats treats and whatnot but now he does it while growling (He'll even lick me while growling) but he's clearly unhappy with her.

Family says "eh he's just jealous he'll get over it" but I'm concerned, WILL he? Is there anyway I can help get him to accept her?

The first few posts in the thread are a compilation of helpful information for common questions. The second post specifically has some advice for your question.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir

aghastly posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping a kitten from bolting out the front door when I get home from work? I've brought a jar of pennies with me to shake when I open the door, and I've got a few things to act as a barrier to stop Toast from trying to sneak by, but I'm worried that won't stop him if he's determined. I might just have to lock him in my room while I'm at work, even though I don't really want to.

I'll consider taking him on walks; he just isn't done with his vaccination schedule and he isn't going to be neutered until next month after his last round of shots. My vet said it's a good idea to keep cats indoors exclusively until they're at least one. He's almost four months old.

Just an update on this. I took the advice of making a really loud noise by the door whenever I leave/return to discourage Toast from trying to run toward the door, but after two days he sort of solved the problem by himself.

I was moving the vacuum cleaner to my office to use it, plugged it in and promptly got distracted with another chore. It has a foot pedal near the bottom of the vacuum to turn it on, and Toast, being curious, tried to climb it and accidentally turned it on, scaring the piss out of both himself and me. I have honestly never seen him run so fast in my life.

So I put the vacuum cleaner by the front door and now he won't go within a yard of it.

:downs:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hello Sailor posted:

The first few posts in the thread are a compilation of helpful information for common questions. The second post specifically has some advice for your question.

Alright, will reread. Sorry

Here's a picture I just took with my lovely vita camera just as a aside

She's a dinky lil thing.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Look at that precious, delicate little rear end in a top hat. :3:

It still boggles my mind that the rescue listed Butts as a Siamese.

Totally classic Siamese features there, champ.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

DressCodeBlue posted:

Look at that precious, delicate little rear end in a top hat. :3:

It still boggles my mind that the rescue listed Butts as a Siamese.

Totally classic Siamese features there, champ.

They were half right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Oh man, thanks! Reading up on their anatomy, it looks like that's what he's a mix of. Had no idea snowshoes could be huge and stocky. (Even if Butts wasn't a fatass, little dude would still be built like a tank.)