Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Shadowmorn posted:

I'd like the mini-golems and bigger golem to be a boss encounter, possibly something in the vein of the goblin army of Terraria. Craft item, spawn bigger golem + its core, big golem spawns smaller golems. Beat for prizes.

But them and the ogres can just gently caress right off as normal monsters. :frogout:

I still remember my first day playing tekkit, it was the version just before they removed forestry. I was crafting something and my crafting grid disipeared and I looked up to see a giant green mob standing where the wall of my house was, I threw 30 or so stone daggers at it before it died, then spent the next 5 minutes wondering what I had lost because it had smashed a chest full of items.

Still better than loosing my first solar pannel to a lighting strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
/gamerule mobGriefing false is practically a requirement for me.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

/gamerule mobGriefing false is practically a requirement for me.

That and keepInventory true because gently caress losing a fully upgraded modular power suit.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I couldn't agree more with both of you. I save that kind of shenanigans for multiplayer servers where its less of a kick in the bollocks.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I am running Toast at home but I am finding that I would like to add some ore to what the MFR laser drill pulls up. Anyone know how? I have seen mention of it but no method.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Alright considering the problems I was having with Skyden, I figure I might as well ask in here - What mudpack would you guys recommend for recreating Fez in creative mode? I know a bare minimum would be Dimension Doors or Mystcraft (something to teleport the player) and microblocks.

Also, if I make a superflat world filled with air, will it start with bedrock under me so I can build a nether portal, or would I need to... I don't know, I guess I'm asking 'was the skyden map made without needing Worldedit'?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I tried Mo' Creatures. Whoever thought Ogres as a nightly spawn that could smell you and seek you out was a good idea should be shot. You either have to bury your base pretty far or build it up on a post in order to protect it, and that's just aggravating. Also, a lot of the sounds feel very out of place. In particular, the bird tweeting was driving me nuts.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
New Thaumcraft 4 teaser video for something that hasn't been shown on the forgecraft server yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ycaVzypwk

The effect is pretty cool for when he sets it up. Also a pretty kick rear end way of making the unique tools and weapons.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I seem to remember that some goon were working on a hydroponics mod is that still around/ updated to 1.5?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Hagop posted:

I seem to remember that some goon were working on a hydroponics mod is that still around/ updated to 1.5?

That was SCT, I don't know the progress of it, nor do I know if it's been included in any mod packs.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Shadowmorn posted:

I couldn't agree more with both of you. I save that kind of shenanigans for multiplayer servers where its less of a kick in the bollocks.

Those are necessary for me, I hate loosing stuff to dumb reasons, which is the only reason you die in Minecraft. And I am never able to keep track of what I loose, which is frustrating. Turning off firespread is also mandatory.

Question for my server. I want a simple /home command, but I don't want all the extras from ForgeEssentials. Any recommendations?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Those are necessary for me, I hate loosing stuff to dumb reasons, which is the only reason you die in Minecraft. And I am never able to keep track of what I loose, which is frustrating.

Turn on creative mode, then save your inventory using NEI. then leave creative mode. theres a bunch of pannels on the left side that let you save/load your inventory.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Enzer posted:

New Thaumcraft 4 teaser video for something that hasn't been shown on the forgecraft server yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ycaVzypwk

The effect is pretty cool for when he sets it up. Also a pretty kick rear end way of making the unique tools and weapons.

Yeah, that's one of the niftiest creation things I've seen yet. I was wondering how he'd be handling the higher-tier stuff, like that exact sword, just yesterday. Frankly, I'm in love, and I can't wait for TC4 to come out.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Pidmon posted:

Alright considering the problems I was having with Skyden, I figure I might as well ask in here - What mudpack would you guys recommend for recreating Fez in creative mode? I know a bare minimum would be Dimension Doors or Mystcraft (something to teleport the player) and microblocks.

Also, if I make a superflat world filled with air, will it start with bedrock under me so I can build a nether portal, or would I need to... I don't know, I guess I'm asking 'was the skyden map made without needing Worldedit'?

I was trying to make a spaceship adventure map and needed a totally blank world and the only 2 solutions I found were:

1. Use the extra options when making a superflat world to strip everything out (There are youtube guides for this) and the MCEdit a single block in to build off.

2. Make a mystcraft void world and then do some renamimg to make that map file the main one in a new game

Personally I found number one to be the easiest, all this would be so much easier though if there was an option at vanilla worldgen to generate a single skyblock map.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The Extra Utilities mod features an "angel block" you can just place into thin air without needing an anchor to place it on. It's great for skyblock stuff. Wish I had it for Sky Den.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Dunno-Lars posted:

Question for my server. I want a simple /home command, but I don't want all the extras from ForgeEssentials. Any recommendations?

Server Tools might be what you're looking for.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Is there a mod that messes with vanilla Enderman behaviour to bring it a little closer to where it was when they were initially put in? It seems like they completely threw out the idea of them moving blocks and such and nerfed that ability totally but I think there's got to be a happy medium somewhere north of where it's at now.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So how much poo poo is going to erupt when Mojang does away with static IDs, or is this not going to be that big an issue?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Enzer posted:

So how much poo poo is going to erupt when Mojang does away with static IDs, or is this not going to be that big an issue?

Every mod will need to rewrite their ID defining code (mostly just cutting out obsolete lines). Thankfully it's not really too big of a deal.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
If there aren't going to be any more static IDs, does that mean that we won't have to worry about conflicting ID's anymore when installing mods?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

dijon du jour posted:

If there aren't going to be any more static IDs, does that mean that we won't have to worry about conflicting ID's anymore when installing mods?

It was my assumption that the end to id conflicts was the goal. Thinking about it, there are going to be thousands of mods once the API is available and if you had to negotiate static ID's to get them working together it would be a nightmare.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

fondue posted:

there are going to be thousands of mods once the API is available

AHHAhahhahahah Ahhahahahahahahhahahaha

*breath*

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahaahhahaaha

:)

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So, any one got a copy of this SCT mod?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

wylker posted:

AHHAhahhahahah Ahhahahahahahahhahahaha

*breath*

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahaahhahaaha

:)

I never said they would be good mods, probably just thousands of 'I followed a tutorial and modified a block to have Nicoloas Cage's face on it, lol.'

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

fondue posted:

I never said they would be good mods, probably just thousands of 'I followed a tutorial and modified a block to have Nicoloas Cage's face on it, lol.'

I think he was laughing at the "when the API comes out" part, which usually happens when the API is mentioned in the modding thread. :v:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Enzer posted:

I think he was laughing at the "when the API comes out" part, which usually happens when the API is mentioned in the modding thread. :v:

Talking about "when the API comes out" is rather dumb, since it is, at best at their current rate of progress, years away, or at worst never happening.

You don't need to defend Mojang all day every day.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The API could come out never, it could come out tomorrow, because literally all we know is that at one point, someone at Mojang said that they were working on an API. There's no updates on the subject, nothing besides the rare reassurance that they haven't forgotten about it, so it's pretty much entirely academic what said API could or could not do. It is one step above "urban legend" at this point.

So, best to just act like it's not a thing until a screenshot of it shows up on Dinnerbone's twitter or something.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Shukaro posted:

Talking about "when the API comes out" is rather dumb, since it is, at best at their current rate of progress, years away, or at worst never happening.

You don't need to defend Mojang all day every day.

But I wasn't? I was saying that Wylker was probably laughing at the API coming out because it coming out is a joke by now rather than thousands of mods popping up, least that was my take on his response. :confused:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fuego Fish posted:

The API could come out never, it could come out tomorrow, because literally all we know is that at one point, someone at Mojang said that they were working on an API. There's no updates on the subject, nothing besides the rare reassurance that they haven't forgotten about it, so it's pretty much entirely academic what said API could or could not do. It is one step above "urban legend" at this point.

So, best to just act like it's not a thing until a screenshot of it shows up on Dinnerbone's twitter or something.
Most of the refactors they have been doing seem geared toward a robust mod api. There's no real need to clean up block ids and rewrite some of the things they have rewritten for the current base game. It seems like their plan is to rewrite things, release them in periodic updates, and then implement the mod api around when an ample amount of things are rewritten. If/when we finally see a launcher rewrite the mod api will likely follow, because for some reason they see that rewrite as a "must" prior to releasing a mod api.

I suppose it's not so bad given that the ftb launcher is functional but closed and poorly designed, and that the technic launcher wants to be good but has ridiculous bugs that remain unpatched like clicking literally anywhere in the window completely resetting mod preference in a really awkward way. Nevermind all the stupid modder drama over launcher and pack favoritism and "permission" garbage.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Oh, certainly. Make no mistake, I am loving hyped for the possibility of a modding API doing so many good things. If can go some ways toward helping to kill off even some of the lovely behaviour in the "Minecraft modding community", I will be happy. The part of the community that seems to be entirely populated with angry manchildren who don't understand copyright law in the slightest, anyway.

Getting mods to work together can be difficult in the case of most games, but it shouldn't be made even more difficult by angry armchair lawyers getting super-defensive about their closed-source project that they haven't updated in months.

But still, until they come out and say "next release will have a prototype/finished modding API" I am going to go about my business as if it's not an issue. Even if they do say that, I guess it will be more of an issue for the modders themselves at first, rather than schlubs like me who just mess around with said mods :v:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Fuego Fish posted:

Oh, certainly. Make no mistake, I am loving hyped for the possibility of a modding API doing so many good things. If can go some ways toward helping to kill off even some of the lovely behaviour in the "Minecraft modding community", I will be happy. The part of the community that seems to be entirely populated with angry manchildren who don't understand copyright law in the slightest, anyway.

Getting mods to work together can be difficult in the case of most games, but it shouldn't be made even more difficult by angry armchair lawyers getting super-defensive about their closed-source project that they haven't updated in months.

But still, until they come out and say "next release will have a prototype/finished modding API" I am going to go about my business as if it's not an issue. Even if they do say that, I guess it will be more of an issue for the modders themselves at first, rather than schlubs like me who just mess around with said mods :v:

If a mod API does end up coming out I will put :10bux: on nobody of any import using it because I can, with 95% certainty, say that it will be crippled and useless for all but the most mundane of tasks. There is no way short of integrating Forge's codebase where they could even hope to offer a fraction of its functionality.

Of course Forge will hook into the API and provide whatever useful function it does end up offering so that people won't need to use it.

tl;dr if a modding api comes out it'll suck and nobody will use it

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fuego Fish posted:

The chances of an API killing off the lovely behavior is basically nil. Seriously, look at the modding community for, say, Skyrim. It's pretty much about the same, with the only difference being that Bethesda doesn't allow you to make ad money off of mods.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Serifina posted:

The chances of an API killing off the lovely behavior is basically nil. Seriously, look at the modding community for, say, Skyrim. It's pretty much about the same, with the only difference being that Bethesda doesn't allow you to make ad money off of mods.

Let me dream :(

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fuego Fish posted:

Mods are the stuff of broken dreams.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

Have you ever played a heavily modded game before? This is how they always are. Accept it. The only exception is when the community is tiny and only a couple generous people are modding. With a big audience you'll always have shitlords and manchildren.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I want to sperg out and get some shader mods on Minecraft, mostly to give the lighting a more realistic feel. Unfortunately I am too stupid to configure or set up most shader mods correctly, and a lot of them I've found are outdated. The pre-configured shaders in the OP are gone, for example.

Please help my voxel block land come to life.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So something changed in the Tekkit lite pack in the last year and the redstone repeater doesn't do what it used to do. I've been using a filter and pneumatic pipes to send ores to my macerator chain but it doesn't work now since the repeater doesn't have the circling thing anymore that ticks the signal. What else can I use for a repeating redstone signal to my filter box?

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

So something changed in the Tekkit lite pack in the last year and the redstone repeater doesn't do what it used to do. I've been using a filter and pneumatic pipes to send ores to my macerator chain but it doesn't work now since the repeater doesn't have the circling thing anymore that ticks the signal. What else can I use for a repeating redstone signal to my filter box?
Working as intended (use a timer not a repeater).

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I think you are describing a redstone Timer not a repeater(which is part of the base game)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Taffer posted:

Have you ever played a heavily modded game before? This is how they always are. Accept it. The only exception is when the community is tiny and only a couple generous people are modding. With a big audience you'll always have shitlords and manchildren.

Counterpoint: The X-Universe modding community is rather pleasant last time i checked (X-3, prelude) them out.

• Locked thread