Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

Hellbeard posted:

Ordered this miniature wargame starter set. The game is called Dropzone Commander, it's a 10mm sci fi game that's recently come out. The makers are a new company called Hawk Wargames.
The product page:

http://www.hawkwargames.com/products/2-player-starter-set

Contents:

I bought from a seller on eBay who had a good price and ridiculous shipping for such a box. I don't think I'll see another deal like that; shipping is a costly issue sometimes for me because I live in Israel, especially for big items.

Looks pretty cool. I just wish some of these war games came with pre painted miniatures. I've got the painting skills of a drunk 4 year old and it always lessens the enjoyment of a game of 40k when your army looks hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Never played a game on a console before, but for some reason I really wanted to play GTA V

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

twosideddice posted:

Looks pretty cool. I just wish some of these war games came with pre painted miniatures. I've got the painting skills of a drunk 4 year old and it always lessens the enjoyment of a game of 40k when your army looks hell.

Thanks!
Look, no one is born knowing how to paint. Anyone can learn through education(a search or two online) and practice. It's a skill like any other. A simple one color business, with a wash and some highlight dry-brushed on will serve most just fine in my opinion.

On the other hand, have a look at the X-Wing miniatures game. It's a sort of dogfighting game that's very popular and lauded for its good mechanics. The miniatures look great and they come pre-painted to a very nice degree.

That's out the box!

Product page:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=174

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

500 business cards.

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

Hellbeard posted:

Thanks!
Look, no one is born knowing how to paint. Anyone can learn through education(a search or two online) and practice. It's a skill like any other. A simple one color business, with a wash and some highlight dry-brushed on will serve most just fine in my opinion.

On the other hand, have a look at the X-Wing miniatures game. It's a sort of dogfighting game that's very popular and lauded for its good mechanics. The miniatures look great and they come pre-painted to a very nice degree.

That's out the box!

Product page:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=174

I will sit down and have a look at teaching myself painting again at some point, it's something I've always wished I was better at. I have some old Eldar guardian squads knocking around here somewhere that will do for some practice.

I have been looking at the x wing miniatures game (if yo can call it miniatures anymore, have you seen the size of the falcon?). It looks pretty cool but very expensive if you want to start building/customizing squadrons though so I'm a little put off by that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

woot fatigue posted:

500 business cards.

Do you not have any older clients that might find that tiny font difficult to read? Or am I missing scale in this photo and that card is printed on a 4"x6"?

Also I bought gta5.

Edit: okay I'm not going to embarrass myself by saying what level I pledged, but I just gave a chunk of money to a kickstarter for a proper sequel to River City Ransom. You can tell from my avatar this is something I've desired for a long long time. If anyone is interested: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/combitstudios/river-city-ransom-underground

davebo has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Sep 18, 2013

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Xbox RROD fix kit, worth £4 if it works if not then I'm looking at £60+ for microsoft to fix it.
So much for playing GTAV tonight :(

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

davebo posted:

Do you not have any older clients that might find that tiny font difficult to read? Or am I missing scale in this photo and that card is printed on a 4"x6"?

Also I bought gta5.

Edit: okay I'm not going to embarrass myself by saying what level I pledged, but I just gave a chunk of money to a kickstarter for a proper sequel to River City Ransom. You can tell from my avatar this is something I've desired for a long long time. If anyone is interested: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/combitstudios/river-city-ransom-underground

Yeah it's a little on the small side, but if a client is going to be picky about my business card then I don't want them as a client.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

woot fatigue posted:

Yeah it's a little on the small side, but if a client is going to be picky about my business card then I don't want them as a client.

A slight nitpick but shouldn't you have your area code printed on your phone number?

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

Vier posted:

Xbox RROD fix kit, worth £4 if it works if not then I'm looking at £60+ for microsoft to fix it.
So much for playing GTAV tonight :(

It will most likely rrod again after being fixed I'm afraid. Spend the £60 towards a slim from ebay that will never rrod.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

carnivaljunkie posted:

So today the boyfriend and I ran to Staples for some pens. We started perusing the clearance bins and found two pairs of Audio Technica ATH-CKS55 noise-cancelling headphones without any price tags on them. We grabbed them and took them to the register to see how much they were, expecting that they would be at least $30, since these headphones typically go for $70-$100.

They were $5. So we bought both, and now we each have a pair of awesome earphones and didn't spend more than $12. :aaa:

Good find. I visit Staples every 2 weeks for clearance bin stuff. A long time ago i bought some original Blackberries for $20 i think, flipped them on eBay for $60 each.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ramadu posted:

A slight nitpick but shouldn't you have your area code printed on your phone number?

He does. He just whited out the last four digits of his number to post the photo.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Memento1979 posted:

Do you have a link to those shoes at the bottom? They look pretty great.

They are, I have them in both black and brown.

Another on the GTAV pile here too.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.
GTA V and: (altitude 730)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

rockcity posted:

He does. He just whited out the last four digits of his number to post the photo.

I am clearly blind or he has great photoshop skills. I am an idiot.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ramadu posted:

I am clearly blind or he has great photoshop skills. I am an idiot.

The clone tool isn't really all that hard to use.

Content: Just closed on our new construction build in Orlando!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Two of these! Is this image too big?

Verizon employees who are getting higher commission to sell Droid phones really busted my balls about it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

These fuckers because I decided I wanted the bookshelf speakers I was planning to use on my new vinyl setup to remain attached to my computer because I hate money.

The pair was cheaper than the bookshelf speakers by about $150 and by far the cheapest part of my set-up.

They sound real good.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

woot fatigue posted:

Sweet jesus both of these things are amazing.

Instead of buying furniture get a personal shopper and buy some decent clothing.

Bar tape

Cables and housing

]
Etymotic Hf5

Bjork Homogenic on vinyl

Bjork Medulla on vinyl

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Speaking of vinyl:

I only have a couple of records so far, so nothing fancy.

Adding to the collection slowly.

On CD too because why the hell not.

Lego!

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

I Am Not Spor posted:

Instead of buying furniture get a personal shopper and buy some decent clothing.

Says the guy who is neither a period actor nor lives in Harajuku and wears an All Saints double-breasted coat.

But don't worry, my closets have just as much time, thought and money invested in them as my living space.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

woot has posted a bunch of clothes in this thread and they've all been really stylish so :raise:

Also I would pay like $200 for that Princess Diana painting because goddamn, it's beautiful.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

woot fatigue posted:

nor lives in Harajuku

That's where I go to get drunk! :D

App13
Dec 31, 2011

To add to Vinylchat, just picked up these:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Edit: Double post

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

First time gardening anything. :)

Got me some hibiscuses in the meantime because I can't wait for the nasturtiums to germinate or whatever.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

mr. mephistopheles posted:

woot has posted a bunch of clothes in this thread and they've all been really stylish so :raise:

Also I would pay like $200 for that Princess Diana painting because goddamn, it's beautiful.

Plaid shirts. Neon shoes (Cole Haan at that). Striped sweaters. I just described the care and thought that is his wardrobe. And he likes frayed leather jackets. He has thousands of dollars to spend and dresses he like a 20 year old college student trying to be quirky.

But what do I know? I wear pea coats :shrug:

I Am Not Spor has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Sep 19, 2013

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

I Am Not Spor posted:

Plaid shirts. Neon shoes (Cole Haan at that). Striped sweaters. I just described the care and thought that is his wardrobe. And he likes frayed leather jackets. He has thousands of dollars to spend and dresses he like a 20 year old college student trying to be quirky.

But what do I know? I wear pea coats :shrug:

You have some self esteem issues.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Glottis posted:

Two of these! Is this image too big?

Verizon employees who are getting higher commission to sell Droid phones really busted my balls about it.

Oh...I'm sorry...I'm so, so sorry.

That is NOT a good phone. Seriously. Check out the last few pages of the Android thread in IYG. Which links to this review:

quote:

If you're thinking of getting the Verizon version, throw out everything nice I just said about the back. The Verizon variant has a different design that removes the great looking back pattern and buttons, instead using versions that could best be described as "cheaper." The diagonal inlay is gone. It's been replaced with a flat honeycomb pattern that isn't nearly as pronounced, and the sleek looking buttons were swapped out for a tacky sliver plastic. It really looks like Verizon saw the original version and told LG to bring the price down a bit. The result is something that doesn't look nearly as slick as the original.
Now on to the software. Oh, the software. You immediately know you are in for a wild ride just by unlocking the G2. Turn on the device, and clouds appear behind the current time and slowly part. The sun lights up in the upper left corner, shining rays of light down upon your lock screen and eventually firing a lens flair across the display. Touching the screen unleashes a light-bending black hole animation surrounded by a continuously bubbling "froth" that expands as you move your finger outward, ripping a void in the fabric of space-time and revealing your home screen underneath. This is the G2 software design in a nutshell. Everything is designed and animated in the cheesiest, most overwrought way possible. If you have any design sensibilities, look away
There isn't a single part of the interface LG hasn't bedazzled with their crazy UI paintbrush. The biggest casualty is the notification panel, which is now full of junk. The picture above is of the default setup, which will only show about two small notifications or about 80 percent of a large notification. You can turn off the "Qslide" app section, which will give you use of about half the screen for notifications. Sadly, most of the extra bars can't be controlled or shut off. You'll be scrolling a lot, but thankfully the junk scrolls up with the notifications. And forget about landscape; you see zero notifications without scrolling.

Honestly, return those things RIGHT NOW and get either a Galaxy S4 or HTC One.

I mean, for God's sake, this is what the default system bar looks like on the Verizon G2:

quote:

LG lets you tweak the system bar as well. You can change the button order and even add a shortcut to open the notification panel or open LG's QuickMemo app. You can switch between flat white, flat black, gradient white, and gradient black. The most "normal" and most popular option would probably be flat black, but on the Verizon version, that has been replaced with a fluffy, pink, quilted option. (At times, it feels like they are almost actively trolling their customer base.)

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
The Droid line is also actually really good phones, too.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Ugg slippers, because comfy slippers are the best.

Reflektor

Menstrual Show has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Sep 19, 2013

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh...I'm sorry...I'm so, so sorry.

That is NOT a good phone. Seriously. Check out the last few pages of the Android thread in IYG. Which links to this review:

Honestly, return those things RIGHT NOW and get either a Galaxy S4 or HTC One.

That's a ridiculous loving review. I spent 10 minutes messing around with it and there's nothing remaining of this UI bullshit you talk about except for a small, single, useful line of controls in the notification pulldown. It's a normal lockscreen. I put whatever I want in there. The back of the phone is plastic and in my opinion less tacky looking than the S4.

quote:

I mean, for God's sake, this is what the default system bar looks like on the Verizon G2:

No, it doesn't. The default is solid white, and it's transparent on the stock launcher like in the photo. You can pick pink if you want, but why would you do that?

Have you read any of the other reviews on the phone? It's almost universally praised.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

mesc posted:

Ugg slippers, because comfy slippers are the best.

Reflektor

Both of these things are the best.

I bought a jacket, but I'm going to return it because the pockets are terrible. If you wear a pack with a belt, the belt covers them up. In its place will probably go this one, because I'm a sucker for online reviews and Outdoor Gear Lab said it was the best they tested.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Sep 19, 2013

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I am a weak man suffering the urges of impulse purchases:

Now I also have to buy a second TV so I don't interrupt my wife's viewing of some bullshit show like Dance Moms or Big Brother.

Anyone have suggestions for a good 1080p 50"-60" non 3d TV? LED or LCD.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I have a Panasonic 42" E6, it's a smart LED without 3D and there's a 50" version, it's pretty drat good for a budget(ish) model.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Every time I come in here I almost always end up posting clothes and / or stuff for upcoming trips. A couple weeks ago I was gifted with a plane ticket to spend the Christmas holidays with my boyfriend and his family, so naturally I've been on the hunt for sweaters and cute accessories ...

But then this t-shirt called to me and I couldn't pass it up.

I am well on my way to becoming a fluffy pink Jojo princess apparently. :sparkles:

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
I recently got my school's refund money back. While normally I would be responsible and buy school supplies and books that I didn't need ASAP with it, I have come across my textbooks in a less-than-legitimate manner already so this gives me some spending money after storing some away for monthly bills.

Surprise gift for my boyfriend, as well as a stupid cheesy card to put the preorder confirmation in

Birthday gift for a friend, 6 yards of this fabric

SuperBlack nailpolish in Plip (pictured), Drunk Dial, and Whip

Stone plugs

Silicon earskins, 2 in black and a single silver one to replace the one that mysteriously disappeared :iiam:

Cute (and expensive) socks

A notebook for my lab research

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Miss Kalle posted:

But then this t-shirt called to me and I couldn't pass it up.

I am well on my way to becoming a fluffy pink Jojo princess apparently. :sparkles:

Where did you get this shirt from?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

cyberia posted:

Where did you get this shirt from?

Here! They've also got some other JJBA art stuff. And free shipping until the 22nd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Miss Kalle posted:

Here! They've also got some other JJBA art stuff. And free shipping until the 22nd!

Awesome, thank you!

• Locked thread