Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

LibbyM posted:

I just died for the first time in the open world. Holy poo poo they just send you back to your hearth point.

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting? I thought that was standard, with of other MMOs having a cool down based "resurrect here" option as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Sankis posted:

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting?

Nearest aethernet point seems more inline with other mmo's. The one you're registered too could be on the opposite end of the world. It's like if warcraft sent you back to shattrath every time you died, no matter where you died.

I don't mean to act like this is the biggest deal in the world, but it's definitely a harsher distance away than any other mmo I've played so I'm confused by your response of "what was I expecting".

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
No free rides in Eorzea.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Just so I'm clear and not missing anything, there is literally no reason to repeat the storyline Ifrit fight, correct?

E:

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Nope, no loot no nuthin'.

Ciaphas posted:

Besides it being kind of a fun fight (or at least pretty looking) or as a favor? Nope, just paltry XP.

Excellent, thanks.

Mr. Leonheart fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 19, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

LibbyM posted:

The one you're registered too could be on the opposite end of the world.

Yup. Thankfully the world is small and travel gets easier at higher levels. Until you get your mount, just favorite the three major cities and get very familiar with chocobokeeps.

Ed: And if you wanna ask for a raise, make sure you're nice about it. Healers and summoners can just ignore you if you're rude.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Just so I'm clear and not missing anything, there is literally no reason to repeat the storyline Ifrit fight, correct?

Nope, no loot no nuthin'.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

LibbyM posted:

Nearest aethernet point seems more inline with other mmo's. The one you're registered too could be on the opposite end of the world. It's like if warcraft sent you back to shattrath every time you died, no matter where you died.

I don't mean to act like this is the biggest deal in the world, but it's definitely a harsher distance away than any other mmo I've played so I'm confused by your response of "what was I expecting".

Okay, yeah. Thinking back to SWTOR, RIFT, and other more recent MMOs what you expected is reasonable for a 2013 game. I momentarily forgot that other MMOs are "Respawn at nearest <camp>" rather than bind point.

I didn't mean for "what were you expecting?" to come off as dickish.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Besides it being kind of a fun fight (or at least pretty looking) or as a favor? Nope, just paltry XP.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Sankis posted:

Okay, yeah. Thinking back to SWTOR, RIFT, and other more recent MMOs what you expected is reasonable for a 2013 game. I momentarily forgot that other MMOs are "Respawn at nearest <camp>" rather than bind point.

I didn't mean for "what were you expecting?" to come off as dickish.

Yah I never played any of the old school mmo's like everquest or whatever so it's possible this is in line with those ones, but as someone whose only lived in the post World of Warcraft world, it caught me off guard.

Edit: I ment as a player of mmo's, I think I just phrased that like I was born post warcraft.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I just did the Ifrit fight, that was pretty cool/fun, it also looked really pretty.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

LibbyM posted:

I just died for the first time in the open world. Holy poo poo they just send you back to your hearth point.

I never went back to my home point in 50 levels :smuggo:

But honestly I was really surprised to see the volume of shouts asking for a res in leveling zones, I think there really are a lot of players totally new to mmos playing FF14.

I wonder how many of them won't subscribe because of assholes in DF :eng99:

edit: If you do need to ask for a raise, use <pos> in your shout, and/or use /yell, because it has decent distance, shows up in a bright color, and less people have it disabled than shout.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Lance Streetman posted:

Yup. Thankfully the world is small and travel gets easier at higher levels. Until you get your mount, just favorite the three major cities and get very familiar with chocobokeeps.

Ed: And if you wanna ask for a raise, make sure you're nice about it. Healers and summoners can just ignore you if you're rude.

Something I've done is to Favorite a city outside of each major city that I visit often (north Shroud, Costa Del Sol, and Horizon in my case) and set your return to the zone you're in. I don't return to the major cities that often and when I need to, hitting return and then a 1 minute chocobo ride isn't a huge deal (and it's pretty cheap). Chances are better than I'm trying to get somewhere in one of the zones so it works out better for me.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I've hit level 18 and it seems like I have completely run outta quests, should I be doing Levmetes and FATES at this point to level?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nightwatcher posted:

I've hit level 18 and it seems like I have completely run outta quests, should I be doing Levmetes and FATES at this point to level?

Leves, fates, guildhests, dungeons, and you can possibly find other quests at the other city state areas

Exp chain parties are a possibility too, if you have some friends to come along and punch bunnies

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Nightwatcher posted:

There's no way you ran out of quests at level 18, no way in hell. If you just follow the main story you should run into more, otherwise if you log in and out it'll tell you quests around your level (I think there's a way to see that without logging in and out but I have no idea what it is).

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

goldjas posted:

I just did the Ifrit fight, that was pretty cool/fun, it also looked really pretty.

It only gets better.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I just got to the point in the storyline where it's directing me to queue for Sastasha, but the average wait time is blank. How long should I expect to be queued for this thing as a DPS?

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
30-45 minutes. It'll go faster if you select all languages. Make sure you block out enough time too. The dungeon itself will also take 20-50 minutes but never more than 90.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

If you're on Excalibur I will queue with you as a healer.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can switch classes after you queue as well and do other things. When the queue pops it'll tell you that you're the wrong class to accept, so you just switch back to the original class and you are good to go.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tiramisu posted:

30-45 minutes. It'll go faster if you select all languages. Make sure you block out enough time too. The dungeon itself will also take 20-50 minutes but never more than 90.

I've always been scared to check off more than English, 'cos if the "A Newbie Is Here" warning goes of I like to explain the boss fights. Don't think auto-translate's up to that :(

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

If you're on Excalibur I will queue with you as a healer.

I am, but I decided to put it off until later in order to engage in a bout of navel gazing re: whether I should reroll as a different race and/or level up arcanist or thaumaturge first. This is a constant quandary I'm faced with.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
I may have dug this hole far deeper than I needed too, but now I have made it impossible for myself to log into anything square related.

After seeing the notice a week or so ago about compromised accounts, and remembering how my wow account had been hacked through a java exploit clicking a fake link to their armory, I decided to get the security token. I went with the phone one rather than the physical one since I didn't feel like spending money on it. It had worked perfectly fine until tonight.

When I tried to log on it told me my password was invalid and to try a different one. It didn't give me the message along the lines of "Invalid ID or password" but one I'm assuming is tied only to the onetime password system. I tried a few different token gens and it eventually locked me out of my account.

I tried logging into my square account to see if it would let me there, but it still told me I was locked out. Considering the time of day, I then attempted to change the password and I received the email just fine but going to the link it still requires my onetime pass and it still is saying I'm typing an invalid one. Not thinking things through I decided to see if it was something wrong with the app on my phone so I foolishly uninstalled it and re installed. Now its a fresh version and it is asking me to set the whole thing up again, but now I can't because I can't log into my account since I need the onetime pass that won't work. I've created my own Catch-22 of password bullshit.

I don't know if I've been hacked or what. I have no idea how my security token on my phone would no longer match up with my account when it's been working fine, and the only email I've received from square was one alerting me that someone has tried multiple times to log in (me), as well as the password reset (also me).

I'm assuming my only option now that I've uninstalled the token app is to wait until tomorrow and contact support by phone. Unless someone knows of somewhere else I can go to resolve this.

Has anyone else had trouble with their security token? I have no idea what exactly caused it to not work, and now I'm locked out of the game :saddowns:.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Susano-maku da! posted:

So... at what point can you start crafting weapons or armor that you can use as a character? Starting off, everything seems a bit underleveled...

You can generally make items within 5 levels of your crafter level, so you could make up to level 30 items with a level 25 crafter, for example. It generally isn't worth it to do this unless you can reliably HQ the gear though, which requires crafter gear to do well. I've made all my own gear since level 20, but I couldn't say I'd recommend it unless you're overly OCD, as crafting is a HUGE time investment.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Cabbit posted:

I am, but I decided to put it off until later in order to engage in a bout of navel gazing re: whether I should reroll as a different race and/or level up arcanist or thaumaturge first. This is a constant quandary I'm faced with.

With how often the server is closed for creation, the answer is usually "No" and you can switch the other thing whenever.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

With how often the server is closed for creation, the answer is usually "No" and you can switch the other thing whenever.

Well, to be fair, the second question is much less crucial than the first. I'm not sure why I went miqo'te, though, and it's starting to bug me.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

I'm pretty pleased with it, but the grass is always greener on the Lalafell side.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Only a bad person would choose to be an anime catperson in a videogame. Do you want to be seen as a bad person

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Wangsbig posted:

Only a bad person would choose to be an anime catperson in a videogame. Do you want to be seen as a bad person

There's this, and there's also the fact that the tail sticking out the back is starting to bug me the same way my troll's tusks clipping through his armor would in Warcraft.

Plus, highlanders and hellguard are pretty cool looking. Much cooler than the dopey midlanders and sea dogs they're hidden behind on the race selection screen, in fact.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
My favorite thing about this game so far is that, even as a lowly level 20-something, I still get to have fairly interesting dungeons and boss fights.

rrraaagggeee
Dec 9, 2009
May have missed it since it's not in the OP, but is there an FC on Ultros or even just an LS?

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009
Got Turn 4 down tonight, Bard body and Maiming ring drops:

Downtime fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 19, 2013

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

LibbyM posted:

Yah I never played any of the old school mmo's like everquest or whatever so it's possible this is in line with those ones, but as someone whose only lived in the post World of Warcraft world, it caught me off guard.

Did you never do a levequest? They give you a huge warning that your home point is important :)

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
So, my Paladin on Famfrit (The newest NA server) just hit 50, so I queued up for Castrum Meridianum. Holy poo poo do I ever hate that place.

Trash. Trash for miles. Weird paths that people who've been playing since launch have perfected.

Bosses with adds. Adds from everywhere. Forever.

It is my special hell.

Castrum Meridianum aside, as a fresh level 50, am I going to be able to handle tanking Praetorium in just the random dungeon + 45 job blues gear on my back, or do I need to gear up before I even consider trying? Because I'd like to finish this drat story quest so I can get my last rank in the GC and fill out my gear.

Harettazetta fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 19, 2013

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Harettazetta posted:

So, my Paladin on Famfrit (The newest NA server) just hit 50, so I queued up for Castrum Meridianum. Holy poo poo do I ever hate that place.

Trash. Trash for miles. Weird paths that people who've been playing since launch have perfected.

It is my special hell.

Castrum Meridianum aside, as a fresh level 50, am I going to be able to handle tanking Praetorium in just the random dungeon + 45 job blues gear on my back, or do I need to gear up before I even consider trying? Because I'd like to finish this drat story quest so I can get my last rank in the GC and fill out my gear.

You could run it naked.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Not too hard, then? Alrighty.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Or you could be less terrible at your job because pet micromanagement is pretty brain dead easy. For boss fights, Garuda is actually doing optimal DPS by being on Obey short of receiving manual commands to Contagion anyway. Because why the gently caress would you want her using her own judgement for Contagion?

Hotkey Obey to X. Z, something easy to reach. It's not hard.

Trash mobs are not boss fights. So rather than chomp at the bit to call me awful at my job take some time to read the posts you're trying to jump all over, things make plenty more sense when you stow your condescension and actually look at context.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Harettazetta posted:

It is my special hell.

Praetorium's about as hard as Castrum Meridianum, but it's significantly more fun. I really hope they implement a HM version of that place since it'd be awesome.

Unfortunately, you'll also have to finish Amdapor Keep at least once before you can get your final GC rank. :v:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I just realized, like, every Lancer I've seen in my short time playing looks completely awesome while I'm wearing a dumpy frock. I'm intensely jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

Virulence posted:

Praetorium's about as hard as Castrum Meridianum, but it's significantly more fun.

Aha. CM wasn't so much challenging as it was teeth-gnashingly annoying. Then again, I just hate wrangling a million adds with nothing but flash and a 25 second cooldown.

• Locked thread