Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I definitely didn't like the art design of Mega Man Power Up! The last Mega Man classic game I actually liked the art design on was Mega Man 7. I thought the Mega Man sprite in 8 looked weird and soulless, and Powered Up looked like a bobble-head, but I feel like 7 got the cartoony proportions just right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

I actually think he is partially right though. Megaman has been stale for a while and I am not exactly clamoring for Mighty no. 9.

However, I think it is interesting that Powered Up actually took the liberty to make quite a few changes to how the games play out and its still not good enough. If every Mega Man game from the original franchise got the powered up treatment, then I probably would like the original series a whole lot better.

Yeah, it's pretty stale and they are really taking minimum effort to even try to mix it up.

In the same vein, if I was designing the idea behind a "collector's edition" version of a new box-set, I'd look into a new mode where you do not start with Mega Man, but play as Roll first and have you advance through the games chronologically, unlocking robot masters as you beat them, allow Mega Man to be unlocked upon beating Mega Man 3 with access to the Mega Buster, but have Roll maybe move faster and jump higher, but no charge shot. Robot Masters playing a lot like they do in Limelight, where you can use their abilities kind of like a challenge mode and allows you to test weapons from previous games in later games in the series.

The problem with this though is the amount of work it would take to even make it workable and obvious criticism at how treatment of Roll as an inferior version of Rock would be taken.

Personally, I just thought it'd be cool if Roll was essentially the tougher to play as, so where the masochists among us go.

Not sure how Bass and Protoman would be handled if 9 & 10 were included. And I realize this is still pretty stale and comparable with Capcom's laziness, but I think these days, they'd be even too lazy for this.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
How about a Megaman game where you only play as Megaman and he has access to his charge shot and slide and there are all new Robot Masters with interesting weapons and neat, innovative stages and the game doesn't look like something on a game system that stopped being fun to play twenty years ago.

Seriously, we don't need gimmicky crap like alternate playable characters that play like gimped/overpowered versions of Megaman. We don't need to rely on a stale, tired retro aesthetic. We need a game that looks and plays well enough to attract a new, larger audience, something that will get players to enjoy the franchise on its own merits without relying on a rapidly fraying sense of nostalgia. Megaman won't get COD numbers because Capcom is convinced that people want to Megaman 2 over and over again, and that's why we're probably never going to see another Megaman game again.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I really liked the idea of Wily Wars and would want to see how Mega Man's older weapons would work against newer bosses.

But whatever, you don't really seem to even like Mega Man, dude. "Seriously" indeed.

Janderbuilt
Mar 7, 2008

WoOt
Memories of Powered Up are a little hazy because it's been quite the while since my PSP has been powered up but there was a hard mode where the enemies didn't just tank more hits but the robot masters actually knew more moves and had harder patterns and that was pretty cool. I found the introduction of voices to be obnoxious personally but I think there were separate volume options for voice and sound (if there wasn't then there should have been).

The inclusion of a level editor was pretty bold and there were a bunch of freely down-loadable levels for it. It was the only sanctioned Megaman level editor ever provided by Capcom and it probably would have been a lot more relevant if it wasn't tied to the PSP. Also, you couldn't include your own sprites or code your own Robot Masters but that would be like some kind of pipe dream project. I'd buy "Dr. Wily's Robot Workshop" in a second.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's what Mega Man Universe was supposed to be, right? It didn't let you physically draw new characters, but it was something of a MM construction kit, yeah?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

How about a Megaman game where you only play as Megaman and he has access to his charge shot and slide and there are all new Robot Masters with interesting weapons and neat, innovative stages and the game doesn't look like something on a game system that stopped being fun to play twenty years ago.

We had that game. It was called Mega Man Powered Up. It looked like the NES game only in general aesthetic alone, you had access to a Mega Man with Charge and Slide, there were two new Robot Masters with new weapons, and the stages were all new. PLUS there were NES versions of the stages.

What would you like? Powered Up with different graphics and names for the bosses? That seems to be the only really big difference here for you; you hate the Powered Up look. Well that's fine. We have another game for you. It's called Mighty No. 9.

What do you want your Mega Man to look like? NES Mega Man? MM7 Mega Man? Well, Beck looks a little like Mega Man, but apparently that's a bad thing. A company is trying to give us what is basically a Mega Man game in all but name, because the company that OWNS that name refuses to. You seem to consider this a bad thing.

Why does Capcom, a company that has repeatedly hosed over their properties in various and multiple ways, with a history of horrible moves and consistent missteps, have more pull with you than some of the people who've actually made good Mega Man games?

Do you just love the brand name THAT much? Do you need the little Capcom jingle to enjoy Mega Man? Does the idea of Mega Man's design carry more weight with you than the game itself?

You don't even know how Beck really plays, and neither do we, but you're judging the entire thing as though it's practically in your hands. You're also judging it on the basis that it's Not Mega Man. Which we know. Except, considering Capcom's the one who owns the property, and who gives no fucks whatsoever about Mega Man, this is better than anything they've done in years.

Your dream Mega Man game came out years ago. It was called Mega Man X. Capcom doesn't make those anymore.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Check out this piano cover of Mighty 9's theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y14ZPElvvf0

Pretty awesome stuff.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
We are getting a NotMegaman game from the father of the Megaman series... how will this be bad? This is the creator of the series here.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Screaming Idiot posted:

Seriously, we don't need gimmicky crap like alternate playable characters that play like gimped/overpowered versions of Megaman. We don't need to rely on a stale, tired retro aesthetic. We need a game that looks and plays well enough to attract a new, larger audience, something that will get players to enjoy the franchise on its own merits without relying on a rapidly fraying sense of nostalgia. Megaman won't get COD numbers because Capcom is convinced that people want to Megaman 2 over and over again, and that's why we're probably never going to see another Megaman game again.

You need to get over your idea of what you think will revitalize the series, because

Kurui Reiten posted:

Your dream Mega Man game came out years ago. It was called Mega Man X. Capcom doesn't make those anymore.

is so true it's kinda sad. Everything you've suggested does nothing more than actually want to recreate an old school Mega Man game, games that currently don't have appeal, and you seem to be really upset that Powered Up (and even Maverick Hunter) tried to change things up for newer players (the people you ostensibly want to attract).

I also have to heavily disagree with your schlock about extra characters being somehow a bad thing. People ate that poo poo up with Mega Man X 3, 4, 5 and later 7 tried to add another main character, stumbled, but with X8 managed to make even that rear end in a top hat playable. Maverick Hunter gave us Vile Mode and "Vile Kicks X In The Head For Like A Solid Minute: The Movie", which was awesome (alongside of the cheesiest, most overacted, stupid, yet funny line ever). Mega Man 9 and 10 let us play as ProtoMan and later Bass, and those games were pretty fun, and lots of folks flocked to those games.

Extra characters are not a bad thing. Mega Man stopped being about Mega Man alone a LONG time ago. There's potentially a pretty exciting world to explore, and it's mostly Capcom's fault for not exploiting that to the fullest across every iteration of the franchise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know that people really don't want more of the same old Megaman, but it's hard to know either way because Capcom won't do it properly - that is, a no-bullshit, modern console game with a console budget, not a cheap digital game or a retro throwback or whatever. There hasn't been a proper MM console release in, what, ten years? How long has it been since they released a good one? Maybe they won't sell COD numbers or whatever but if Inafune can do it for $2m then what's the harm in doing it anyway? That's, what, one fifteenth of what they just spent on loving Lost Planet 3.

Castlevania was in the same boat, to some extent - the fans just wanted a proper SOTN successor on consoles with pretty new sprites, but Konami didn't want to do it and they especially didn't want to pay for it, so the good games were all relegated to the handheld ghetto. You could say it about almost any of the classic 8/16-bit sidescrollers, really; very few publishers care enough to go all out.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I don't think it's so much that they care, as that they can't. Or at least, they can't conceive of it anymore. These days, actually putting out a physical release comes with certain expectations on consoles. Whether they're really justified or not is a moot point, since they're there. Tons of content, tons of features, gotta justify that $60 tag, or maybe a $40 budget tag but that cuts into the profits, gotta have that poo poo in HD, need tons of levels, that sort of thing.

Mega Man is, in many ways, locked into a certain level of content simply by its nature. You have a grouping of bosses, eight being the top. They all give you a weapon, so gotta make those different enough to matter and that's hard as is. Your stages need to be tackled in any order, so can't make them too reliant on weapons, so that means mandatory backtracking is generally out unless you want to make it really egregious.

Your work in the boss levels gives you the expectation of getting rewards for beating levels, so you don't want to have an initial 8 and then like 40 fortress levels where you don't get jack, so gotta keep those compact. You have a weakness chain, and you can't add like 20 more bosses without overwhelming the player with choice.

So, without changing up the formula in a lot of ways, your Mega Man game is tied into a level of content deemed "unacceptable" for current console games of any note. You can't just tack on more and more levels like a Mario game or a Rayman game.

It IS difficult to make a standard Mega Man game, put it on, say, the PS3, and make it justify a $60 price point. So, that poo poo has to be changed up. More and more content is needed, and content costs money. When you're a company like Capcom and you're run by the type of people who hate risk, you don't take it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if every boss had a fortress complete with fortress stage bosses?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kurui Reiten posted:

It IS difficult to make a standard Mega Man game, put it on, say, the PS3, and make it justify a $60 price point. So, that poo poo has to be changed up.

Or, you know, a lower price point, but that's just crazy talk, I know.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really like playing Zero, Bass, Protoman, et. all. Mega Man isn't Sonic where its idea of an extra character means hunting for emeralds or goin' fishin'. In Mega Man games, extra characters are a different spin on the same gameplay type.

Mighty No. 9 looks like it's gonna be mixing up gameplay a bit with his transformation gimmick, so that might be interesting. Reminds me of Yoshi's Island and Vectorman. When I look at the kickstarter and think of Pulseman, Gunstar Heroes and Ristar too for some reason. Maybe what I'm saying is, while he's obviously very inspired by Mega Man, I guess he's still his own dude and more than just a direct copycat?

I also like it that the game looks like it's going to be using HD sprites. Really fluid, hand-drawn side scrollers are extremely rare, although there's been a few these days like Rayman Origins and Ducktales Remastered. The NES Mega Man games do look great, and were some of the best looking games on the system, and I certainly don't hate that style like someone around here, but I've always wondered what a MM game would look like if they used HD sprites instead of going back to 8-bit in MM9 and using 3D models in X7-X8.

Kurui Reiten posted:

I don't think it's so much that they care, as that they can't. Or at least, they can't conceive of it anymore. These days, actually putting out a physical release comes with certain expectations on consoles. Whether they're really justified or not is a moot point, since they're there. Tons of content, tons of features, gotta justify that $60 tag, or maybe a $40 budget tag but that cuts into the profits, gotta have that poo poo in HD, need tons of levels, that sort of thing.

Mega Man is, in many ways, locked into a certain level of content simply by its nature. You have a grouping of bosses, eight being the top. They all give you a weapon, so gotta make those different enough to matter and that's hard as is. Your stages need to be tackled in any order, so can't make them too reliant on weapons, so that means mandatory backtracking is generally out unless you want to make it really egregious.

Your work in the boss levels gives you the expectation of getting rewards for beating levels, so you don't want to have an initial 8 and then like 40 fortress levels where you don't get jack, so gotta keep those compact. You have a weakness chain, and you can't add like 20 more bosses without overwhelming the player with choice.

So, without changing up the formula in a lot of ways, your Mega Man game is tied into a level of content deemed "unacceptable" for current console games of any note. You can't just tack on more and more levels like a Mario game or a Rayman game.

It IS difficult to make a standard Mega Man game, put it on, say, the PS3, and make it justify a $60 price point. So, that poo poo has to be changed up. More and more content is needed, and content costs money. When you're a company like Capcom and you're run by the type of people who hate risk, you don't take it.

I've really felt for the longest time that the one thing Mega Man needs to get away from the most is 8 robot masters and a castle or two every single game. I know 8 has been a tradition since Mega Man 2, and non-linearity is one of Mega Man's trademarks and they should keep that, but there's other ways to tackle this.

First, there's the obvious one. More robot masters. What about a game with say, 10, 12... 16 robot masters? Granted, this requires double the effort and may be less feasible, but it's probably the most simple solution.

Or, who says a robot master has to just have one stage? Maybe have a whole path of stages you can tackle in any order, and when you reach the end of the "quest line" you fight the robot master. The best example I can give would be fighting the 3 different gangs in Saints Row 2. If you're tired of playing snow stages, you can do some fire stages to mix stuff up, it'll just take you longer to get to Snow Man instead of doing them all at once. And since Mega Man's whole schtick is getting different weapons and with this method it would take a while to get them, who says all of his weapons need to be gained by bosses? Maybe he just finds some upgrades on the way.

Or, you could get rid of stages altogether. Go for an open-world game like Castlevania SOTN. The first Mega Man Zero tried this, as did the ZX games IIRC.

Regardless if the next Mega Man game is a side scroller, a 3rd person shooter, an RPG, whatever, they need to try and get away from the set 8 bosses standard and scale the game up a bit. Mega Man games are fun as hell, but they rarely feel like a "big deal" or an epic adventure, and sort of feel like each one is just another day in the life of Mega Man. They're fun little games, but for once Mega Man games need to stop being little - we need a big one for once.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 19, 2013

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Oh, I just want to clarify, I'm not saying I agree that Mega Man NEEDS to be 8 bosses, 4-6 fortress stages, end credits. I'm just saying that that's probably the way Capcom's brass looks at it. Mega Man game is those criteria. Releasing game on console takes a different set. Changing up Mega Man to be successful with console criteria requires risk. Risk is a horrible monster to be avoided because shareholders hate it.

I think Mega Man could be a ton of different things. I'm rather partial to the Ratchet and Clank-style idea.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

Oh, I just want to clarify, I'm not saying I agree that Mega Man NEEDS to be 8 bosses, 4-6 fortress stages, end credits. I'm just saying that that's probably the way Capcom's brass looks at it. Mega Man game is those criteria. Releasing game on console takes a different set. Changing up Mega Man to be successful with console criteria requires risk. Risk is a horrible monster to be avoided because shareholders hate it.

I think Mega Man could be a ton of different things. I'm rather partial to the Ratchet and Clank-style idea.

Oh don't worry, I didn't think you thought that it NEEDS the 8 bosses, 1-2 castles end credits formula at all. You actually brought up a very good point, and something I've felt the series has needed to get away from for a long time.

A game that's Ratchet and Clank meets Vanquish would be awesome, but even a game that's a sidescroller with gameplay and graphics identical to Mega Man 2 that gets away from the 8 boss\4-8 castle stages forumla and goes for a bigger, more "epic adventure" sort of scale would be a huge step in the right direction. Mario, Sonic and Rayman don't have that "each game must be the same size" hangup that Mega Man seems to have, they can be as big or as small as the game demands and can be scaled up or down.

Dr. Wily is like some weird guy with obsessive compulsive disorder who's like "We have to have 8 robot masters each time. EIGHT! NOT NINE! NOT SEVEN! EIGHT! ARRGGGH! Oh no, it's been 8 minutes since I last washed my hands, I need to wash them again!"

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

fivegears4reverse posted:

Mega Man stopped being about Mega Man alone a LONG time ago. There's potentially a pretty exciting world to explore, and it's mostly Capcom's fault for not exploiting that to the fullest across every iteration of the franchise.

Snipping out just this little bit to comment on why I, personally, have no interest in MN9. Because, essentially, the Mega Man franchise did give me a pretty exciting world to explore, and I want to see more of that world and not some weird parallel not-quite world.

Folks who are interested can go for it, and folks who are interested in the (potential similarities of) gameplay can go for it; but it's not for me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gammatron 64 posted:

Dr. Wily is like some weird guy with obsessive compulsive disorder who's like "We have to have 8 robot masters each time. EIGHT! NOT NINE! NOT SEVEN! EIGHT! ARRGGGH! Oh no, it's been 8 minutes since I last washed my hands, I need to wash them again!"

He knows that if he had just stolen all eight robots in the first game, he'd be king of the world several times over by now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel a Megaman done in the style of Rayman Legends would work, maybe not a collect-a-thon but having a big world like that, the platforming of course and numerous other things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alteisen posted:

I feel a Megaman done in the style of Rayman Legends would work, maybe not a collect-a-thon but having a big world like that, the platforming of course and numerous other things.

I haven't played Rayman Legends but it kinda sounds like you're describing the ZX series.

greatn posted:

What if every boss had a fortress complete with fortress stage bosses?

How is that different from just having more bosses?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The problem is that rayman's collectables are places so that you are always running, platforming, and making progress to collect things. rayman's not oriented towards extended combat sequences. Collectables like bananas, lums, and rings are often GO THIS WAY indicators. They serve as an indication of where to platform, and at the end the number you have is a grade of how well you platformed. It's a good system for pure platformers.

Megaman's more stop and go. It takes thought whether you want to advance past enemies or slaughter everything in your path and how to do it. Secrets and such are almost always off path so you have to decide whether you've got the hp and reflexes to take them if you find them.

A grading method per level would be probably fit better and would help replayability but it should not be as strict as mmz's.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know that people really don't want more of the same old Megaman, but it's hard to know either way because Capcom won't do it properly - that is, a no-bullshit, modern console game with a console budget, not a cheap digital game or a retro throwback or whatever. There hasn't been a proper MM console release in, what, ten years? How long has it been since they released a good one? Maybe they won't sell COD numbers or whatever but if Inafune can do it for $2m then what's the harm in doing it anyway? That's, what, one fifteenth of what they just spent on loving Lost Planet 3.

Castlevania was in the same boat, to some extent - the fans just wanted a proper SOTN successor on consoles with pretty new sprites, but Konami didn't want to do it and they especially didn't want to pay for it, so the good games were all relegated to the handheld ghetto. You could say it about almost any of the classic 8/16-bit sidescrollers, really; very few publishers care enough to go all out.

The "fans" for Castlevania seem to keep dwindling lower and lower. Even a franchise that I expect to have a huge fan following didn't really seem to do that well when it was all said and done (Metroid) and that is even ignoring Other M. Also, sprite work can get expensive which is probably why you saw the same sprites across 3 or 4 games.

I liked Mega Man. I still sort of like him, but I don't want the same game with spruced up graphics. That is essentially what Maverick Hunter X is up until the Sigma stages.

Kortel posted:

We are getting a NotMegaman game from the father of the Megaman series... how will this be bad? This is the creator of the series here.

Other M was made by the guy who made Super Metroid such a good game. Think about that for a second. Also, I don't really think Inafune is the only one responsible for the success of Mega Man. In fact, I have begun to become a lot more critical of him.

But if I were to point to a perfect game that revitalized a series (only for it to come down in flames shortly after), then I would point to Bionic Commando: Rearmed. The original was a loving limited game but GRIN managed to take the original, modernize it, and still maintain the feel of the original while changing just enough stuff that it felt like something new.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, Mega Man isn't really about running non-stop collecting items like Sonic, Donkey Kong and Rayman Origins are. If there were hundreds of gems or something for Mega Man to collect throughout a level, that would be really weird, and would crowd the screen, too. When Mega Man is dodging bullets, you don't want a lot of bananas or power rings clogging up the screen.

Sonic, Donkey Kong, Rayman and Mario are all more "pure" platformers, too - traversing the level is a higher priority than combat, and in fact, having a gun just gets in the way of that - look at Shadow the Hedgehog.

Classic Mega Man is honestly closer to classic Castlevania, where you tackle one screen at a time and it's almost like a puzzle getting from one end to another. Mega Man has more responsive controls than the Belmont clan and his Buster has much more range than a whip, but the basic idea is the same. Both also require creative use of subweapons to attack enemies that aren't directly in front of you.

The X\Zero games are more fluid and Contra-like in that its very run n' gun and isn't done on a slow, screen by screen basis, but still has a lot more platforming and no 8-way gun (and also way more health.)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

blackguy32 posted:

Other M was made by the guy who made Super Metroid such a good game. Think about that for a second. Also, I don't really think Inafune is the only one responsible for the success of Mega Man. In fact, I have begun to become a lot more critical of him.
Good thing the team isn't just Inafune, and includes people who worked on the early ones like 1 and 2 and Inti Creates who worked on 9 and 10.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have come to realize after reading the past few pages of "This is what a new Mega Man game should be" that I understand why Capcom doesn't do it. The dwindling base of existing fans is incredibly divided on what they want, to the extent that people basically seem to be asking for a non-reboot reboot with a new art style that's the same as the old art style but not really, and it should make them ten years old again and also inject cocaine directly into their hearts. It should also have 40 levels but only like 13 bosses, and it should be quick to play.

The fundamental problem is that a Mega Man game only has about 1-2 hours of actual gameplay once you remove player gently caress ups. Short length is just not something people want nowadays, especially not if it's priced at $40-60, and an even 10 hour game is probably not what people looking to play a Mega Man game are after. I don't know if the CoD numbers quote is actually legitimate or not, but I can see the returns on investment just not being there for a new MM game if you throw any kind of budget at it and don't put it at a $20 or less price point. I think Capcom got burned on a lot of their HD rereleases of games that have extremely small fan bases too, if I remember right.

Basically it is completely impossible to please fans at this point, and those fans are vocal enough that they'll turn away any new players Capcom might try to appeal to. I mean keep in mind they're dealing with people with the mindset of "If they don't make their new game something I like, the franchise is better off dead."

Kickstarter works here because they have people who are working out of love of the IP and likely on a relative shoestring budget, and they get donations from people like me who have more money than sense. Large businesses don't have those luxuries. I don't know what profit they expect from this, but I expect it probably is not much.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They could just pull a Sonic Generations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Problems like those have not stopped ubisoft, sega, retro studios, or nintendo.
That's basically what I want: A megaman that's modernized and fun like modern rayman, sonic, kirby, donkey kong country, or mario.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pureauthor posted:

They could just pull a Sonic Generations.

That's what the fanbase was HOPING Megaman Xover was going to be.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

chumbler posted:

Basically it is completely impossible to please fans at this point, and those fans are vocal enough that they'll turn away any new players Capcom might try to appeal to. I mean keep in mind they're dealing with people with the mindset of "If they don't make their new game something I like, the franchise is better off dead."

gently caress fans, basically. Honestly this isn't as bad a mindset as you might think. You can only get by for so long catering to a group of people who ultimately will only grow smaller and potentially loonier as they and the property get older.

This doesn't always work, the new DmC is testament to doing it wrong on every conceivable level. I'm pretty sure there could be an awesome Devil May Cry reboot, but Ninja Theory was not the developer capable of doing that. The "fans" would still bitch, kick, and scream about "NOT MY DANTE :argh:" but if the game is actually really good, those people can safely be ignored in favor of building a newer fanbase.

The same can be done for Mega Man, hell it WAS done with the Legends games, the Battle Network stuff. Those games are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from what most fans would have considered to be proper Mega Man, and they gained their own loyal followings. Of course, Capcom being Capcom, they managed to gently caress that up hardcore, but they showed it's possible to take the property and do crazy different things with it, and still call it Mega Man.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
One possible way to shake up the formula might be to unlock eight new stages once you've beaten the eight bosses, with all-new obstacles that take advantage of the weapons you've collected. At the end of each stage, you fight an enhanced version of the robot master of that stage, with a completely new attack pattern and set of weaknesses. Once you've beaten the boss, it upgrades your version of that boss's weapon to give it enhanced capabilities.

This would be sort of like the Doc Robot levels from Mega Man 3, except for being able to get new weapons out of it. Perhaps they could even throw in a mini "boss fortress" before you fight the second set of bosses.

So the pattern might now go: Opening stage -> 8 boss levels -> first fortress -> 8 enhanced boss levels -> second fortress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing is that fans will always complain. The important part is knowing how to differentiate "this is a lovely idea" complaints with "I'm afraid of change" complaints, and a lot of companies are really bad at that. Fans can be stupid and wrong or they can be dedicated people who can point out serious problems with your product and unfortunate the two basically overlap, sometimes to the point of being the same person.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

One of the things that blew my mind when I played Zero 3 was that, after beating the second set of four guys (Who were returned baddies from Zero 1) and the suspiciously short Neo Arcadia stage against revived X, you didn't just get another fortress with the real bad guy hiding there. No, after the fakeout you had to face four new bosses and only after that you'd get to Weil's fortress.

It is a bit like what MM4 did but going the extra mile in faking you out, and made for a much longer game without getting monotonous.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

fivegears4reverse posted:

gently caress fans, basically.
Yes. So often, especially in this thread, I read opinions that basically boil down to "make everything the same again but [better except not]". I seriously don't understand that. Either we get a game that's proud to be something different, or we get a fan game romhack. We can have the latter in spades, and better than official crap. Evolution is GOOD, old crap is BAD, we and the series need something new and cool and not like the old poo poo because too often, the old poo poo was poo poo, realize that and accept the change, God drat it.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

the old poo poo was poo poo
I agree with your general sentiment but...what? :psyduck:

Plenty of the older games are great in their own right.

edit: I mean, it's not that the older games are bad, it's just that you need to move on and try to evolve a series as it grows and becomes older. That way it doesn't stagnate. Doesn't mean that the earlier entries in the series weren't good games however.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 20, 2013

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's not saying that the old games were bad, but that we shouldn't fear changing and evolving aspects of the gameplay just because that's how it was in the older titles.

edit: I suppose, but he wasn't insulting the games in their entirety, just aspects of their design.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 20, 2013

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Motto posted:

It's not saying that the old games were bad, but that we shouldn't fear changing and evolving aspects of the gameplay just because that's how it was in the older titles.

I got what he was saying, he just said it in a really strange way I think.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Simply Simon posted:

Yes. So often, especially in this thread, I read opinions that basically boil down to "make everything the same again but [better except not]". I seriously don't understand that. Either we get a game that's proud to be something different, or we get a fan game romhack. We can have the latter in spades, and better than official crap. Evolution is GOOD, old crap is BAD, we and the series need something new and cool and not like the old poo poo because too often, the old poo poo was poo poo, realize that and accept the change, God drat it.

As has been said before, any long-running franchise with a large fandom suffers from this.

Sometimes I wonder if in 2023, the same people will be saying the same things about the same games from 30 years ago. At which point do you finally feel the need to stop saying everything was better back then?

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 23, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
What really bothers me is when a publisher/developer doesn't even attempt to mix things up. Sure, Mega Man and Bass was kinda poop, but at least it offered something different in the form of parts and two playable characters. The boss paths was unique too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also it's not like Mega Man hasn't had plenty of new things trired. It's just that Capcom spun them off into subseries instead of dealing with the main one.

(Maybe they should go back to that and maybe we'd be able to avoid poo poo like DmC next time.)