Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

For the restoration to happen at all you have to have "complete control" over a shitton of territories. Is that just owning all counties in a territory or does it have to de jure drift?

(Also, sorry if this has been asked before but can the AI ever restore the Empire itself or is it something the player'd have to take over to do?)

You just need to have all the holdings in your realm. No dejure drift.

It's incredibly unlikely since the empire of the Greeks has no claims on a lot of that land and they are usually plagued by infighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Flesnolk posted:

For the restoration to happen at all you have to have "complete control" over a shitton of territories. Is that just owning all counties in a territory or does it have to de jure drift?

(Also, sorry if this has been asked before but can the AI ever restore the Empire itself or is it something the player'd have to take over to do?)

You (or one of your vassals) have to own all of the counties and baronies in the de jure duchies listed. They don't have to have drifted into your de jure kingdom/empire.

I won't say that the AI cannot restore the Roman Empire, but I've never seen it manage the task without help.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

I just caught my wife having a passionate love affair with...herself? :psyduck:

Either she's a enormous narcissist, or my homosexual count is having a massive bout of insecurity (considering I had her "lover" arrestted for kissing her brazenly in public...mirror?)

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 18, 2013

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Did the count tell her to go gently caress herself at some point?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DStecks posted:

I'm playing as a Suomenusko character, and am trying to create the Suomenusko Church title, and I have the required 300 ducats, but it's still telling me that I can't do it because "The title can only be held by Suomenusko characters". What the hell?

Do I need to reform the religion first? Because I thought it wasn't even called Suomenusko after being reformed, so can the title just not be created at all?

Reformed Suomenusko will be called Suomenusko, while those following the old ways will be Old Suomenusko just like Norse and Old Norse.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I just caught my wife having a passionate love affair with...herself? :psyduck:

Either she's a enormous narcissist, or my homosexual count is having a massive bout of insecurity (considering I had her "lover" arrestted for kissing her brazenly in public...mirror?)

Your character may be a MRA. Take heed.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Reformed Suomenusko will be called Suomenusko, while those following the old ways will be Old Suomenusko just like Norse and Old Norse.

OK, cool. For some reason I'd got it into my head that reformed Suomenusko was going to be called Finnish Pagan... :v:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive already did uninstall and reinstall too. And mv DLC dlc (even though my dlc was already lowecase)

On Linux you don't have a launcher to activate the Mods and dlc so you have to do it by hand or use a launcher. There are various user made launchers on the paradox forums. I recommend using the Python based one since you can use it for EUIV as well. Just by changing the target executable files.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

YouTuber posted:

On Linux you don't have a launcher to activate the Mods and dlc so you have to do it by hand or use a launcher. There are various user made launchers on the paradox forums. I recommend using the Python based one since you can use it for EUIV as well. Just by changing the target executable files.

I will try that python one (the qt one didnt solved for me), do you have a link?

In any case, as far as I know, it is not necessary to activate the DLCs, there are already active by default. And it used to work for me without any launchers or special command line parameters, back when I was using another linux and CK2 was on an earlier version.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 18, 2013

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

This game brings out the worst in me. As the King of Strathclyde (Ireland plus the Isles and Galloway) I married my daughter and heir to a prince of Navarra, who was not supposed to inherit the crown. Well of course he did because Navarra is apparently elective and suddenly my two grandsons are being tutored by Basque cultured courtiers, which simply would not do.

A decade later my king dies and I rush to tutor the two eldest sons under my queen to covert them back to Welsh. The first son doesn't take and gets terrible stats, so I had no choice but to kill him. The second son becomes Welsh and has decent stats, but a terrible wife and won't accept an invitation back to Strathclyde because I wouldn't be able to press his claim. I resort to killing my husband to get my son back, and then I end up killing his wife and marry him to a respectable princess. I'm not evil I swear :smith:.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Apparently some areas are so barren that they can't sustain anywhere near the amount of troops it would take to siege a holding. I wanted to create the kingdom so I reloaded and shipped my 107k doomstack right into Finland. Assault after assault happened until I had my eight counties occupied. Britain ended with 83k troops left, but they had done it. They conquered... the Duchy of Finland. Two little counties showed up. The county next door still has a CB for "Holy War on Finland". gently caress.

Lesson learned: Crusades are awesome, Holy Wars are lengthy and painful.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Is there any way to start a shattered world game at the old gods start date?

I think someone uploaded a save that worked like shattered world, but it was for an older version of CK+

Edit: apparently starting as a norse pagan doesn't make the people in my court pagan, and since I'm not reformed I can't convert people :/

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 18, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sistergodiva posted:

Is there any way to start a shattered world game at the old gods start date?

I think someone uploaded a save that worked like shattered world, but it was for an older version of CK+

Edit: apparently starting as a norse pagan doesn't make the people in my court pagan, and since I'm not reformed I can't convert people :/

You can just use the Titular Title Generator to generate an equivalent. Just set the number of generated characters to the max 2000 and it'll be functionally the same as Shattered World, just lacking the easter egg characters and such. It works with pretty much any mod, I believe.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Fintilgin posted:

You can just use the Titular Title Generator to generate an equivalent. Just set the number of generated characters to the max 2000 and it'll be functionally the same as Shattered World, just lacking the easter egg characters and such. It works with pretty much any mod, I believe.

You don't even need to do that anymore, the guy who made it is awesome and added loads of options so you can create Shattered World scenarios (even whether they're shattered down to county, duchy, kingdom or emperor level) out of the box.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Incidentally, is it just me or does a Shattered World scenario actually feel easier to anyone else? Be the first one to make a Kingdom and you've basically won the game. You get every count of your religion and culture as your vassal instantly and are then 10x as powerful as anyone else. Since the majority of the world is still going to be one or two province minors for the most part you can just steamroll everything at the same time.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I made the case for including a line of succession screen a couple weeks ago, but one picture, thousand words, etc:

Zurai posted:

Incidentally, is it just me or does a Shattered World scenario actually feel easier to anyone else? Be the first one to make a Kingdom and you've basically won the game. You get every count of your religion and culture as your vassal instantly and are then 10x as powerful as anyone else. Since the majority of the world is still going to be one or two province minors for the most part you can just steamroll everything at the same time.

Yes, it's trivially easy compared because the AI doesn't know how to expand at anywhere near the same rate. You can make it slightly slower if you start as a Catholic only near other Catholics so you don't get any special CBs... but yeah, it's still just really easy. Shattered dukes is a lot more interesting because the AI can at least attempt to hold their own but it still has the same issues.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zurai posted:

Yeah, if I want a random game I use the Title Generator to generate a game with ~60 realms, which gives a nice mix of decent sized kingdoms and minor powers. I'll usually generate four or five and pick one that looks fun.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Have a great game with The Prince And The Thane mod going at the moment but I'd like some help. I took Andyamo from the ruler of the Eesti to the King of Livonia and I'm trying to set up my children with the dukedoms I can't hold. Everything is going fine until the stupid idiots decide to divide up their realms. It's only three loving provinces they should be good to go. Anyway I can prevent this from happening? And If I institute Primogeniture in my kingdom does it apply to my dukes also?

I've always been a EU3 man but this game is blowing me away. EU4 in it's current state is just so barren and so lacking in charm in comparison to CK2. I understand that the mod may change some of these answers but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wow, playing as the Byzantines in 876 is super easy mode. I'm still on my first monarch and its been so simple just to pick apart all of the little independent duchies all over southern Italy, Sicily, Anatolia, and the islands in the Mediterranean. Having claims for absolutely everything around you makes conquering so simple.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

The title of Shia Caliph should really be destroyed if it gets to a non-Sayyid, right? I have no idea how, but the Shia Caliph in my game isn't a Sayyid or even a Mirza.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Are there any known issues with chancellors not being able to fabricate claims. My 20+diplomacy chancellor was unable to fabricate a claim on a province despite being there for 10 years. Is this just bad luck or is there something I haven't considered?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a mod that makes fabricating a claim take a set amount of time based on diplomacy score and the value of the county rather than who knows how the gently caress long? Am I unreasonable for wanting this?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Rejected Fate posted:

The title of Shia Caliph should really be destroyed if it gets to a non-Sayyid, right? I have no idea how, but the Shia Caliph in my game isn't a Sayyid or even a Mirza.

It's perfectly possible to create the Caliphate if you aren't a Sayyid/Mirza, though: 1000 piety plus either control of Mecca and Medina, or Jerusalem, Damascus and Baghdad. Likelihood is yours happened from a decadence revolt though, which autmoatically gives it to the winner. And in real life, the Umayyads have a caliphate, but I don't think they were sayyids.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Allyn posted:

And in real life, the Umayyads have a caliphate, but I don't think they were sayyids.

They were Sunni, no? It's a religious difference. I'm pretty sure a Shia non-sayyid caliph makes no sense.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Rejected Fate posted:

They were Sunni, no? It's a religious difference. I'm pretty sure a Shia non-sayyid caliph makes no sense.

You're right, it doesn't. There should really be a destruction event like the conversion of the Byzantines to the Latin Empire.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

chippocrates posted:

Are there any known issues with chancellors not being able to fabricate claims. My 20+diplomacy chancellor was unable to fabricate a claim on a province despite being there for 10 years. Is this just bad luck or is there something I haven't considered?

Fabricate Claims just has a piss-poor chance of actually working. Like converting a province, it's just so unlikely to actually happen, even with a high score in the relevant attribute, that it can easily take decades. Hover over the "Fabricate Claims" button to see the chance of it firing in any given year; even with 20+ diplomacy, it's probably something in the range of 8-15%.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Fabricate Claims just has a piss-poor chance of actually working. Like converting a province, it's just so unlikely to actually happen, even with a high score in the relevant attribute, that it can easily take decades. Hover over the "Fabricate Claims" button to see the chance of it firing in any given year; even with 20+ diplomacy, it's probably something in the range of 8-15%.

Yeah, even with a really great chancellor, fabricating claims (and proselytizing, for that matter) is pretty drat luck based. It can take a decade, or a matter of months, it's all just a roll of the dice.

From personal experience, I have a suspicion that fabricating claims gets a secret under-the-hood bonus when you're an OPM, or you only have a couple holdings. It always seems to be much more effective early when it's your only option, but becomes less effective once you can't rely on it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

chippocrates posted:

Bad luck probably, although it could be possible that something else is going on via your total size/chancellors traits.

For example: I had a 23 diplomacy superstar who spent his 20 year career trying to forge claims in Brittany, never produced anything. After he died I had to replace him with a 10 diplomacy chancellor from the dredges of my vassals. Within one year this no talent dweeb had successfully forged a claim.

Perhaps your chancellor is too qualified . He's trying hard to come up with legit claims, when instead you need a barely literate lackey to scribble 'he's da real king <picture of your ruler>' in crayon on the side of a barn.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 19, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Perhaps your chancellor is too qualified . He's trying hard to come up with legit claims, when instead you need a barely literate lackey to scribble 'he's da real king <picture of your ruler>' in crayon on the side of a barn.

You jest, but I remember rejecting claims made by my Chancellors since they were Duchy claims and thus too expensive for me to use. No duder, it's cool, just give me claims on the county since I can usurp the duchy later.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Fabricating Claims is really good if you don't press them immediately. Basically, on a young ruler, having some claims fabricated lets you use the magic "Press all claims" button that so rarely appears. It's nice being able to take several counties (or a duchy and some counties!) at once without having to wage a holy war and thus fight all of Catholicism.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Bad luck probably, although it could be possible that something else is going on via your total size/chancellors traits.

For example: I had a 23 diplomacy superstar who spent his 20 year career trying to forge claims in Brittany, never produced anything. After he died I had to replace him with a 10 diplomacy chancellor from the dredges of my vassals. Within one year this no talent dweeb had successfully forged a claim.

Your chancellor can be bribed not to succeed by an event that the county owner gets for a particular county for a span of several years, if I remember right. You can do it to the AI, too, if you catch the chancellor but don't kill him. If you ever run into a situation where a superstar chancellor isn't forging a claim on a particular county, switch him to a different one owned by a different guy because there's a good chance he's on the take.

If you were switching him around within Brittany then, well, horrible luck I guess.

VV If you have a high-skill chancellor, he'll occasionally offer you the duchy title if it's in existence and owned by the guy you're fabricating claims on (ie. the duke, not one of his counts). It's more trouble than it's worth most of the time, as it's more expensive than usurping it normally, carries a prestige malus instead of bonus, and if you don't have county claims you end up with one pissed-off vassal since the original holder of the duchy keeps his counties. VV

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 19, 2013

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

toasterwarrior posted:

You jest, but I remember rejecting claims made by my Chancellors since they were Duchy claims and thus too expensive for me to use. No duder, it's cool, just give me claims on the county since I can usurp the duchy later.

Wait. How do i fabricate duchy claims?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Highly-skilled Chancellors get a chance to fabricate Duchy claims instead of County claims. I don't know the specifics, but they're all in the data files. Usually isn't worth it though, since both the gold and prestige cost tends to be exorbitant.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Nuclear War posted:

Luck!

Sometimes you get the option. I think it might be based on how good your chancellor is and if you drop him the capital of the duchy in question. But that might be confirmation bias. It doesn't show up often, and is really, really expensive.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In other news, I just figured out how to invite a claimant to my court, vassalize him and press his claim. Success.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Since we were talking about the DNA string and inbreeding the other day, just went and tested it. Started as the Petty King of Munster, married an Armenian girl, saved the game and edited it so they have the same DNA, went back in and used the console to pop out 8 kids quickly: not one of them has the inbred trait. So it's purely used to decide the portrait, I guess?

e: Followup, here's a weird thing: if you have a kid with your bastard daughter, your kids won't be inbred :catstare: so you have to be of the same dynasty for it to happen, I guess? But closer relationships within that dynasty make it more likely, obviously.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 19, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Allyn posted:

Since we were talking about the DNA string and inbreeding the other day, just went and tested it. Started as the Petty King of Munster, married an Armenian girl, saved the game and edited it so they have the same DNA, went back in and used the console to pop out 8 kids quickly: not one of them has the inbred trait. So it's purely used to decide the portrait, I guess?

e: Followup, here's a weird thing: if you have a kid with your bastard daughter, your kids won't be inbred :catstare: so you have to be of the same dynasty for it to happen, I guess? But closer relationships within that dynasty make it more likely, obviously.

Good job testing the hypothesis! :science:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It may be some combination thing, too. Like similar 'DNA' AND you have to be the same dynasty. Or it could just be random based on how closely you're related.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Fintilgin posted:

It may be some combination thing, too. Like similar 'DNA' AND you have to be the same dynasty. Or it could just be random based on how closely you're related.
The latter is what I've always assumed. I don't see any reason why they would make it depend on the DNA at all.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you think you got lucky? I'm pretty sure I had my heir marry his bastard aunt and she popped out an Inbred, Incapable daughter and a pretty good son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Do you think you got lucky? I'm pretty sure I had my heir marry his bastard aunt and she popped out an Inbred, Incapable daughter and a pretty good son.

It's possible but I tested it over about 8 kids, all of whom had me as both father and grandfather (so a VERY close relation), and the only ones to get it were those of my dynasty. I'll test some more just to check but I'm pretty sure. Also as I'm doing it through console commmands that may be making things weird, not to mention it's possible things may have changed (I know they changed how bastards get their dynasty in the last patch, for example).

e: okay yeah I just got lucky, did it again where I had a bastard child, had 5 kids with her and this time the last two were both inbred. Huh. Then married one of those kids (who was of my dynasty, and had me) and had another 5 kids, another two were inbred

jesus christ I need to stop doing & posting about this I feel icky :(

Allyn fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 19, 2013

• Locked thread