Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Lethemonster posted:

First you pop, and then you frantically run away as you aggro all the poo poo happening.

The party don't stop! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I think my favorite thing about that scene with Alvis is how he's playing it cool and mysterious and aloof and I'm-over-here-no-wait-suddenly-I'm-behind-you and then is completely taken aback when Shulk lunges at him all "Does this make us MONADO BUDDIES?!"

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I have question(s):
1) Early in the game it was stated that the Monado can't hurt humans (or Homs), so I thought it only works on the Mechon. But you end up slicing up wildlife with ease, so are only humans safe from it? Or is the nature all Mechon :tinfoil:
2) Is it just me, or is Shulk not that good in tactics? The last update had him rely on the visions a bit too much, not even trying to apply his own reflexes into dodging (which is weird, because if the enemy has two hand, and you're evading one of them, the other one does not disappear). Even without mind-reading, if he just stands like a moron while cowering his head, a reasonably fast opponent can easily change the direction of an attack.

2) makes me think that some time in the future Shulk'll rely on a vision, only to have it backfire horribly.

Also I like Alvis - he clearly enjoys being cryptic and mystical, and yet does not seem obnoxious.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I liked how they managed to keep Melia acting like a prim and proper nob without being too arrogant, even if only Dunban manages to speak her "posh accent". Reyn looking like he's going to cry cracks me up every time. Melia ended up being one of my favorites.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 18, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, I definitely enjoyed Reyn's crestfallen look. After all, up till now, he's been the experienced older brother type, and this lady just blew him out of the water. It's all anime as hell, as was the Monado failure section. See, it's a pretty common setup in Shounen: The main character has an awesome ability. It fails because the enemy is "just that good", or has plot-armour, or some such, creating dramatic tension... And then it's resolved by the hero powering up somehow. It gets a little aggravating if it's used too often (the best examples of this are Bleach, Naruto, and the Dragonball series), but used in the right amount, it can be an okay plot device. Little lazy, but passable.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
There's another far more annoying negative feedback loop when it comes to Monado Purge: when you can't hit the enemy, you also can't build up the party gauge, and without chain attacks, you can't stick the Aura Seal effect on high-leveled enemies even if you manage to land the attack.

Furthermore, the seal effect wears off far too quickly even when maxed out: meaning that in the endgame, it's basically never worth using seeing that whenever you have a chance to use Monado Purge on an enemy, it's much better to Topple them which accomplishes the same thing in addition to keeping them from being able to hit you back.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Szurumbur posted:

I have question(s):
1) Early in the game it was stated that the Monado can't hurt humans (or Homs), so I thought it only works on the Mechon. But you end up slicing up wildlife with ease, so are only humans safe from it? Or is the nature all Mechon :tinfoil:

It's not explained, or if it is it's not explained in plot-relevant dialog. It is an interesting wrinkle in the plot because the wildlife of Bionis was also born of it, just like the Homs, Nopon, and High Entia were, yet the Monado can hurt them just like it can Mechon, despite it being the sword of the Bionis. :confused:

Maybe the rule only applies to sentient Bionis life. I dunno. I don't want to say because to delve any further into how the Monado works is massive friggin spoilers.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Maybe it's just Homs that it can't harm. A very selective friend-or-foe system, clearly.

Those guys with the faces must be abusing some sort of loophole in the way the Monado handles what is or is not a valid target.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Szurumbur posted:

I have question(s):
2) Is it just me, or is Shulk not that good in tactics? The last update had him rely on the visions a bit too much, not even trying to apply his own reflexes into dodging (which is weird, because if the enemy has two hand, and you're evading one of them, the other one does not disappear). Even without mind-reading, if he just stands like a moron while cowering his head, a reasonably fast opponent can easily change the direction of an attack.

2) makes me think that some time in the future Shulk'll rely on a vision, only to have it backfire horribly.

Also I like Alvis - he clearly enjoys being cryptic and mystical, and yet does not seem obnoxious.

1) Yeah, it wasn't super clear to me. At this point, I assumed that Homs were just the Monado's "Chosen People" who were exempt from its wrath. Oh, and I guess Telethia are exempt too.

2) Shulk's an R&D scientist from Colony 9, not a frontline soldier. If anything, I'd figure Reyn, Dunban, or Sharla would be better at tactics, all of them having considerably more military experience. Problem is, Shulk is the only one to be able to use the Monado.

Also, I like cryptic and mystical Not-Wilhelm too.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'd say he's got a dash of Not-Wilhelm and a dash of Not-chaos. Either way, I really like Alvis too.

Telethia aren't exempt in the same way. They're more "gently caress off, super Monado powers, we're all out-predicting you and super dodgy and poo poo" but it can smack them around just fine (when you can hit) - compare to an un-toppled Face Mechon who's perfectly hittable, but just takes 1 damage per hit.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vil posted:

Telethia aren't exempt in the same way. They're more "gently caress off, super Monado powers, we're all out-predicting you and super dodgy and poo poo" but it can smack them around just fine (when you can hit) - compare to an un-toppled Face Mechon who's perfectly hittable, but just takes 1 damage per hit.

I might be mis-remembering a later event.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I've got an update that is split about equally between going through awesome scenery and cutscene. Are you guys happy for a non-commentated update? It's so pretty I can't think of anything to add over it, but I'll sort something out if people just get bored of that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Are you controlling Melia, or is she in your active party? You could talk about her playstyle/how to use her.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I might be mis-remembering a later event.

I think I can guess what you're thinking about, there, but let's wait until we get there.

Lethemonster posted:

I've got an update that is split about equally between going through awesome scenery and cutscene. Are you guys happy for a non-commentated update? It's so pretty I can't think of anything to add over it, but I'll sort something out if people just get bored of that.

Personally I'm always happy just to soak in the scenery and party banter, but commentary doesn't need to be constant-or-never. You could have, like, two comments for the whole video and otherwise keep quiet, for example. Say stuff if you feel like you want to say stuff, and let it speak for itself when there's nothing you want to add.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

It's already being uploaded. I'm making myself make updates before I left myself play more, so I don't get miles ahead. I keep thinking 'I can't wait for people to see this!' and then realising that they won't for about 10 updates.

Everything feels so cool when it happens and then an hour later you look back and think 'oh that was small potatoes, THIS is awesome'.

Edit: To be honest I really hate loving about with the sound when sorting out the commentary as well. I spent ages tweaking everything because I don't know if it's too loud or too quiet to other people.

Has it been ok in the last few?

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 18, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, s'been fine. I haven't had any issues.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Yeah it been good.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Seems all great to me here :)

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

One more to go :dance:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

What a cruel place to end it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

What a cruel place to end it.

Totally.

In other news, I absolutely adore Chief Dunga's design.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Edit: working now.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 19, 2013

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Vil posted:

In other news, I absolutely adore Chief Dunga's design.

Wonderslug posted:

We have not yet met the nopon who is worthy of Maximum Blingee.

And now we have.

He's a one-nopon Carnival in Rio.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

nine-gear crow posted:

Maybe the rule only applies to sentient Bionis life. I dunno. I don't want to say because to delve any further into how the Monado works is massive friggin spoilers.
It's clearly more specific than sentient, or even intelligent life, since it can harm animals and speech-capable monsters.

Judging by the early cutscene with Face Nemesis, it may be that the triggering factor is 'Beings with souls'. Regular Mechon don't have them because they're just robots, while Metal Face and Xord clearly did, and Face Nemesis downloaded the soul of someone the operator referred to as "Lady Meyneth"

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I love running around that village and look at all the details. And talking to it's quirky inhabitants, of course.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
One thing I find curious is the insistent terminology of the Nopon. They repeatedly call Shulk and crew Homs, but they don't use that term when discussing Melia. Even Melia refers to the group as "These Homs", as if she isn't one herself.

I'm sure this is something that will be addressed later, I just wanted to put that out there.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

JT Jag posted:

One thing I find curious is the insistent terminology of the Nopon. They repeatedly call Shulk and crew Homs, but they don't use that term when discussing Melia. Even Melia refers to the group as "These Homs", as if she isn't one herself.

I'm sure this is something that will be addressed later, I just wanted to put that out there.

They all refer to her as bird lady, oddly enough.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lethemonster posted:

They all refer to her as bird lady, oddly enough.

Melia is secretly the bag-lady from Home Alone II who feeds all the pigeons.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Lethemonster posted:

First you pop, and then you frantically run away as you aggro all the poo poo happening.

And then you melt them down before they can get close :getin: Melia was my party leader roughly 90% of the time after I got her.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Chief Dunga posted:

He is the equal, if not better, of the Hom Hom!
Just gonna go ahead and confirm this as a stone cold fact.

Also, Nopon side-quests are the best. They're funny enough that they almost make up for their hometown being a massive pain in the rear end to navigate.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

JT Jag posted:

One thing I find curious is the insistent terminology of the Nopon. They repeatedly call Shulk and crew Hom Hom, but they don't use that term when discussing Melia. Even Melia refers to the group as "These Homs", as if she isn't one herself.

FTFY. The language of Glorious Nopon must be preserved in its true original form.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Vil posted:

FTFY. The language of Glorious Nopon must be preserved in its true original form.

Speaking of Glorious Nopon, I like how almost all Nopon names are just random katakana syllables mashed together, so it ends up sounding like Japanese baby talk.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If I recall correctly, when the faced mechon were driven off by the Telethia right after Shulk and crew exited the mines, wasn't someone riding it? I'm guessing Melia is part of the same community as that person, and telethia riding is a regular part of their culture, and thus the "bird lady" thing.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

JT Jag posted:

If I recall correctly, when the faced mechon were driven off by the Telethia right after Shulk and crew exited the mines, wasn't someone riding it? I'm guessing Melia is part of the same community as that person, and telethia riding is a regular part of their culture, and thus the "bird lady" thing.

The person in charge of those Telethia was Alvis.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Blind Sally posted:

Melia is secretly the bag-lady from Home Alone II who feeds all the pigeons.

God I wish this was true.

Also Lethemonster, now that you're in Frontier Village, you know which sidequest chain you need to do. :getin:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

vaguely posted:

Also Lethemonster, now that you're in Frontier Village, you know which sidequest chain you need to do. :getin:

Holy mother of god, yes. If you do any side-quest chain, do that one.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
In the Latest video, Lethemonstyer commented that the Nopon were basically an attempt to take the usual annoying, overly sugary "mascot race" and turn it on its head... but they didn't turn it that much. I still found them annoying and irritating.

vaguely posted:

In her rush to get back to this point, she hasn't really been doing any side-quests at all. Honestly, I think rushing through everything was not the best way to show the game off. We barely saw any of Guar Plains, for instance, one of the first big "Wow" areas in the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 19, 2013

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

vaguely posted:

Breaking Nopon

Aaaannnddd.... We are finally here ladies and gentlemen. All. New. Content! Whoo!!!

And normal(ish) posting schedule will be resumed.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
As much as I don't care for Riki, I really love his introduction. Possibly because it looks like it hurt. :allears: I do also like that the party doesn't particularly like having the fuzzball foisted on them. The game in fact goes out of its way to paint Riki as a joke character, going so far as to have himself suggest that the Chief is making an excuse to kick him out of the village. Even if you have him as your lead when fighting the Telethia, the game treats it as if he did nothing.

From Riki and the other Nopon in the previous video who wanted to be a Heropon, it's suggested that far from being a term of endearment, the Heropon title is given to Nopon who rack up huge debts and are forced to become adventurers, doing really dangerous jobs that other Nopon don't want, because that's the only way they stand a chance to pay the debt off. That's actually an interesting idea.

I actually tried Riki as my lead the first time I fought the Telethia, and it was pretty hard and annoying. I won by the skin of my teeth, very nearly getting completely wiped out at the finish. It was only later that I realized that I had completely neglected to level up his arts, which didn't help.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
What's even better is that Riki winds up being one of the more complex and interesting characters in the story. Some of the Heart to Hearts with him are brilliant.

• Locked thread