Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Hey Braksgirl how can I get in touch with you about planning a vacation? I don't have PMs :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
The special limited edition shirt for the event at Hollywood Studios... drum roll.

http://db.tt/YHBcOU5a

Like it or meh? I am undecided.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I'm just happy they've finally realized that marketing the villains to the teen/adult demographic can be successful. This whole weekend is villains themed.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'm just happy they've finally realized that marketing the villains to the teen/adult demographic can be successful. This whole weekend is villains themed.

Yeah, everyone is wearing villains gear right now and the shop was packed.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cuatal posted:

Hey Braksgirl how can I get in touch with you about planning a vacation? I don't have PMs :(

Whodatmouse.com gets you to her Facebook site.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

You can either go to my Facebook page or send me an email at SSagona@MMVAgent.com.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 31, 2016

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

Braksgirl posted:

You can either go to my Facebook page or send me an email at [/email].

Thanks, sent you an email, might be a good idea to edit out your address now :)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So, the villains event last night was absolute pandemonium. I expect it will be a regular event now after this. Disney screwed the pooch and underestimated the turn out.

Trip report.

We went to the park earlier in the day wanting to check things out and pick up and special event items since they normally sell out almost immediately. The event did not start until 8p so they were not selling anything. The one shirt for the event was being sold at one shop and you had to come back at 5p, grad a wrist band and wait in a queue until six. Uh, no.

We hung around until 3p and went home to walk the dogs, get a quick refresh and come back at 6p. From that point on it was nothing you would ever imagine.

The map puts things into perspective..

The orange line traces where we hit traffic at 6p. We were at a dead stop on the ramp for 45 minutes. I called my brother to find out what the hell was going on because the line coming from the other offramp was backed up over a mile and that extended over the overpass where the other entrance to the park was. We were finally diverted through the second path around the hotels to hit the entrance to the boardwalk where we were then turned away after sitting three cars from the light that would have led us into the park. The park was at capacity. WTF.

The yellow line traces the path around the hotels and then I had an epiphany.. screw this and let's go to Epcot and catch the boat over so down Buenva Vista Dr. we go and around to Epcot. The entire way from where we turned on the BVD to the far extreme where we made the turn to head up to Epcot was wall to wall traffic at a dead stop.

The red line is where we parked at Epcot, apparently I was not the only person who thought of this brilliant idea. Also MK closed at 7 for the Not So Scary so all those guests dumped into Epcot too. The tram line was horrific so my wife and I said gently caress this lets walk. This is where the journey begins folks.. from that dot we walked the entire park to where it exits and when we get to the boat dock there are 500+ people waiting. WTF?! No?! Okay we walk to the next boat dock.. full, the boat is not even stopping there anymore. From there we walked from Yacht Club all the way to the studios.. on foot with a sea of people. Words cannot describe how crazy this was. We made it into the park after 9p. We walked to the stunt show to make it a.. we walked from the farthest point at the Epcot parking lot to the farthest point at the Studios.

The panorama pics tell a story, click them, its worth it.. they were taken at 10:45 before the fireworks.

Oh the line to get pics with villains, three hours. When we left at 12.30 it was still wrapped around the lake to get to the characters. The line to the bars were hundreds deep.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I've been saying for years that an adult/teen Halloween/Villain themed event at Hollywood Studios would do insanely well and be a) a good counter programing to the Not So Scary Party and b) give them something to kind of match Universal's Horror Nights.

So I am not at all surprised that it was packed.

Apparently Disneyland was equally packed, but a lot weirder.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I've been saying for years that an adult/teen Halloween/Villain themed event at Hollywood Studios would do insanely well and be a) a good counter programing to the Not So Scary Party and b) give them something to kind of match Universal's Horror Nights.

So I am not at all surprised that it was packed.

Apparently Disneyland was equally packed, but a lot weirder.

No, this went beyond packed... I was there for Studio opening and numerous special events, this poo poo was nuts. My brother is going to find out the numbers on Monday and will tell me.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

No, this went beyond packed... I was there for Studio opening and numerous special events, this poo poo was nuts. My brother is going to find out the numbers on Monday and will tell me.

That they reached capacity astounds me. I was down there during Spring Break once, and Magic Kingdom was at capacity most days, but Epcot/DHS/AK never got even close.

I hope they make it an event like Not So Scary. I'd love to go.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I wonder if they haven't simply because of how elaborate a lot of the villains' costumes are? I know it's Disney and they can basically do everything in that park but control the weather, but surely it must cost more to do repairs on something like Maleficent's hood than grabbing Peter Pan a new pair of green leggings. The princess dresses probably get beat up a little, but they're basically overdone pagent dresses/ballgowns. A lot of the other "common" M&G costumes seem to be more toned down than their villain counterparts, even with some mascot characters.

I'm not much for M&Gs but I'd probably go to a villain one. :3:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Forgot I had a spy pic of Maleficent.

Depending on the season it may not be a special ticketed event like Not So Scary because in the case of this weekend, you have that event going on already where one of the parks (MK) closes early. Taking a second park now and closing it too to guests would not be a smart business move I think. Since the whole point of this event was coinciding with the 14th you have a limited opportunity when you can hold it and timing is always crucial, especially when you are juggling so many balls in the air like Disney.

Can't wait to hear what the attendance numbers were for this..

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
So everyone can get a better idea of the crowd density in your photos, I took the liberty of brightening the shadows in one of your DHS pictures:

I don't know why this is, but you sometimes have to click these giant images a few times before you get to see the full-size version.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Lincoln posted:

So everyone can get a better idea of the crowd density in your photos, I took the liberty of brightening the shadows in one of your DHS pictures:

I don't know why this is, but you sometimes have to click these giant images a few times before you get to see the full-size version.

Good lord, that looks like hell.

I like WDW parties as much as the next guy but trying to traverse that madhouse...nope.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm likely booking a 6-night in November tonight but am waffling between two hotel options: Port Orleans and Boardwalk Inn (because they're both eligible for the %20/30 discount). Decades ago I stayed at PO and enjoyed it. However, from looking at the map in the OP it seems that a major draw of Boardwalk Inn would be walking access to Epcot (and presumably the monorail to MK) and boat access? to Hollywood Studios, leaving only Animal Kingdom as requiring a bus ride. Is my assessment accurate or is using an Epcot hotel to simulate monorail access not realistic? Is the ~$850 price difference between the two hotels "worth it" (I recognize value differs between people), assuming I find the main monorail hotels to be too pricey?

Also, the WDW website indicates that bike rentals are available but is there anything like a free yellow/green bike system for shuttling to and from the parks?

And can I use pools at other resort hotels or are they limited to guests of that specific hotel?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

You're only supposed to use the pool at your resort, however, I think the only pool that's really heavily policed is Stormalong Bay at Yacht and Beach Club.

I think Boardwalk is a better location than Port Orleans. You can walk straight into Epcot from Boardwalk, and take the monorail to MK. Ride a boat to Hollywood Studios, and take the bus to Animal Kingdom. As far as it being worth $850, well, that's up to you. Boardwalk is a deluxe and PO is a moderate. Deluxes tend to have better amenities than moderates, but both are very nice. Personally, I like the location of Boardwalk better.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If I could afford it, I'd stay at Boardwalk. It's a great resort, and has lots to do, plus the accessibility of it is just insane.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

If you like beer, there's a pretty good brewpub at Boardwalk. There's generally a lot to do at Boardwalk, if you plan on spending a decent amount of time at your hotel I'd highly recommend it.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Zachack posted:

Also, the WDW website indicates that bike rentals are available but is there anything like a free yellow/green bike system for shuttling to and from the parks?

Sorry to say, by "bike rentals" they mean "rent a bike by the hour that you can only pedal along the walkway around Crescent Lake".

E: We haven't stayed in the Boardwalk yet, but we love going there to eat and enjoy the ambience; go there at the right time and you can see the crazier effects from Illuminations from right outside the Big River brewpub. Our favorite resort, the Beach Club, is right next door and we love the convenience of being able to walk right into EPCOT and boat over to the Studios. (Though personally I don't think walking all the way through EPCOT -which is the second largest of the four parks- just to take the monorail to the TTC and then to Magic Kingdom would be that convenient. If that's how you want to get there, more power to you.)

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 16, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I am going to agree with everyone else and say Boardwalk is a better option. You have Epcot on one side and Hollywood Studios on the other, both within walking distance. You also have more dining and entertainment options as well.

Lincoln thanks for lightening that up. It really was as packed as you see there and every bit as chaotic but fun as hell. We went into the thick of the crowd by the stage during the band which was really good and then the DJ who was playing a lot of dance music I expect to hear at a trendy club. I listen to mostly electronic dance music and I was surprised when he pulled out a lot of what I listen to and played it. What was more surprising was the depth of the crowd that sang along or was jumping to the music. It was like a sardine can in places but I would do it again, minus the five mile walk to get there of course.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Speaking of the Epcot area resorts, I am going to be going to the Yachtsman on a day I am currently planning on spending in Epcot. Which would be a better option, taking the boat or walking?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Thanks for the advice, booked Boardwalk.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

demonR6 posted:

The Hero's Journey

Wow, that's quite the trek. I've been piecing together people's experiences from various places. My wife and I were there right in the thick of it. We were in town for another event, so we headed to Hollywood Studios at around 1:00 and just hung out for the day until it started. We didn't end up waiting in the 3 hour lines to get our picture taken, but we did chill with Frollo and Cruella in the dance pit in front of the stage. The line to get the special themed booze drinks was also crazy. I would have bought a Jafar Punch, but I ain't waiting 45 minutes for it. I don't think anyone expected it to be that popular; not Disney, not the guests. Someone else I knew who was staying on property said it took 2 hours to get from his hotel to the Magic Kingdom on the bus just due to the traffic going to Hollywood Studios.

I think Disney will probably rework the concept, use better planning, and bring it back at some point.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Zachack posted:

And can I use pools at other resort hotels or are they limited to guests of that specific hotel?

Officially, only DVC members can use the pools at other resorts, but I've never been asked to show my key at any of the resort pools.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Of Doom posted:

Wow, that's quite the trek. I've been piecing together people's experiences from various places. My wife and I were there right in the thick of it. We were in town for another event, so we headed to Hollywood Studios at around 1:00 and just hung out for the day until it started. We didn't end up waiting in the 3 hour lines to get our picture taken, but we did chill with Frollo and Cruella in the dance pit in front of the stage. The line to get the special themed booze drinks was also crazy. I would have bought a Jafar Punch, but I ain't waiting 45 minutes for it. I don't think anyone expected it to be that popular; not Disney, not the guests. Someone else I knew who was staying on property said it took 2 hours to get from his hotel to the Magic Kingdom on the bus just due to the traffic going to Hollywood Studios.

I think Disney will probably rework the concept, use better planning, and bring it back at some point.

That's funny because we were in the same area with Cruella, Big Bad Wolf (who kept coming over and licking my wife).. the judge from Hunchback who had the senior citizen handler trying to keep up with him. We were there up front when his handler was doing his dance moves on his walker.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Here's an odd question.

When you buy directly through Disney, they give you a date you have to pay things off by. Mine is 0ctober 18th.

Does anyone know if Disney is at all flexible about this date? I am waiting for some funds to hit my account, and they shout hit before that date, but if they don't, I want to know if I can call them up and be like "Hey, can we shift that back a bit" or something.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Mykkel posted:

Officially, only DVC members can use the pools at other resorts, but I've never been asked to show my key at any of the resort pools.

This will most likely be changed by the magic bands once they go completely live, if the rumors I've heard are true.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Here's an odd question.

When you buy directly through Disney, they give you a date you have to pay things off by. Mine is 0ctober 18th.

Does anyone know if Disney is at all flexible about this date? I am waiting for some funds to hit my account, and they shout hit before that date, but if they don't, I want to know if I can call them up and be like "Hey, can we shift that back a bit" or something.

I have heard that if you pay a little bit that they will extend your payoff date. Best to call and see for sure.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Sending you an e-mail Braksgirl! Starting to plan a spring WDW/US vacation now.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I got it! Thanks! I sent you back some options. :)

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Braksgirl posted:

I have heard that if you pay a little bit that they will extend your payoff date. Best to call and see for sure.

I've had to extend my payoff date with Disney before, as long as you've paid some, and can give them a expected payoff date, they were pretty flexible.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Great OP and great thread, I’ve got a few tidbits of my own to add. We have a daughter and the first time we visited she was almost 3 years old. We were looking for a place to stay where she could take naps or go to bed early and we could stay up. The multi-room suites were too much money but we stumbled on the Fort Wilderness cabins. Although they are not cheap with my discount they were affordable. The “cabin” is really an efficiency with a separate bedroom, a pull out bed in the living room, a kitchen and deck with a grill. http://yourfirstvisit.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Fort-Wilderness-Cabin-Floor-Plan.jpg

This was great since we were able to come back from the park, let her nap, make lunch or dinner and go back to the parks later. Since she went to bed early we were able to hang out, watch TV, etc. She was a light sleeper back then and being able to close the door and being far from the next "room" or family really made the difference." Being able to cook our own food was a plus as well, saving us a lot of money.

The Fort Wilderness area itself is neat; it has pools, playgrounds, paddle boats, bike rentals, a campfire movie every night, just an overall good place for us to stay with a little one. When she was 6 we went back to the cabins since we had a great experience the first time.

We have also stayed at the Boardwalk when she was 8 which is lots of fun. That whole area around the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach resorts are my favorite just for their proximity to Epcot and Studios and the activities. I stayed at the Beach Club for work earlier this year, which was nice but now I regret not getting in some pool time since a few posters have been talking it up so much. Since I travel to Orlando several times a year and they put me up on property I’m determined to work my way through the different resorts, sampling them for when I come back with the family. So far I’ve covered the Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge and later this month the Wilderness Lodge. Speaking of Animal Kingdom Lodge, the breakfast buffet there is outstanding, just completely different flavors than the typical breakfast.

I do have a question for the thread through, since I travel by myself most of my evening meals are solo. I always feel awkward just sitting down to eat by myself, are there any single-diner friendly places I should check out? For example last trip I ate at Jiko and sat at the cooking station or whatever that was and chatted it up with the cooks.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

tomapot posted:

I do have a question for the thread through, since I travel by myself most of my evening meals are solo. I always feel awkward just sitting down to eat by myself, are there any single-diner friendly places I should check out? For example last trip I ate at Jiko and sat at the cooking station or whatever that was and chatted it up with the cooks.

The Teppanyaki place at the Japanese pavilion will set you up at a table with an odd number of strangers. Depends on the people you get I guess, but I always had a good time there solo. The real answer is to not give a gently caress and go anywhere alone though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I think if you go to the Sci Fi Dine In alone, you end up sharing a table, just because of the way they work. That might be interesting.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Also, Biergarten in Germany at Epcot seats everyone in mixed groups at long tables. Every time we eat there we chat it up with other friendlies. And inevitably, at least a few people at the table are drinking beer, so...

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

Also, Biergarten in Germany at Epcot seats everyone in mixed groups at long tables. Every time we eat there we chat it up with other friendlies. And inevitably, at least a few people at the table are drinking beer, so...

That is the fun thing about Biergarten.. we have been there three times now and made friends at the table singing along to the beer song and carrying on with complete strangers. It's a blast.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

demonR6 posted:

That is the fun thing about Biergarten.. we have been there three times now and made friends at the table singing along to the beer song and carrying on with complete strangers. It's a blast.

Biergarten is fun as hell if you're seated with another group of people who are either very friendly and nice or so high on Disney Magic they're more pleasant and sociable than they would normally be, and who understand that they're going to be sitting with strangers, that we're all going to be getting up to get food from a big buffet, that we're all going to be drinking beer or Riesling and probably a lot of it, and that we're all going to be laughing and clapping along and maybe even be called up to participate in the Octoberfest show.

If not... :smith:

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 19, 2013

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Mykkel posted:

I've stayed at the Beach Club once and the Yacht Club another time, once in season and once out. Because they have one of the best pools in the resort, Stormalong Bay, the time when it was busier, they were adamant about checking to make sure you belong. During the other time, not only did nobody check but I think a couple of employees and their families were in the pool based on the conversation I overheard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
So is there a consensus opinion on whether it's worth it to use FP+ on Fantasmic? I've never done the show so I don't know how hard it is to get in normally and we definitely want to see it. But using an FP+ slot on it now not only locks us in to Hollywood Studios on the day we choose (I know we could change it later closer to our trip but you get the idea) and also leaves us with just two rides in a park that has at least 3 that could def use a FastPass. Don't want to spend one on a fireworks show if we can just walk up and get good seats that night anyway.