Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mining/botany/guildleves/quests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
check the repeatable leves, one of them should have the shards you need.
Carpenter is wind, so definitely check that. As an alc i am sitting on 4000 waters i got just from leves.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 19, 2013

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Kweh posted:

So does anyone have a preferred method of getting wind shards? Trying to level my goldsmith but these shards keep holding me up and the auction house is a little too pricey for now.

Just off the top of my head, but I think central shroud level 5 trees have all the wind shards you need.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kweh posted:

So does anyone have a preferred method of getting wind shards? Trying to level my goldsmith but these shards keep holding me up and the auction house is a little too pricey for now.

I traded my lightnings to a weaver for winds, so im set on shards until I start needing lightning when I do weaver next

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Kweh posted:

If you have a 31+ BTN, there's a tree in Central Shroud right next to the border to the South that gives two shards per swing. You can log, zone, zone back, and log until you hate everything that has ever existed and have a lot of shards I guess.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
The every five levels quests for various crafter jobs also tend to give you a metric buttload of shards, so make sure you're doing those (also the goldsmith ones have the best character.)

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

The every five levels quests for various crafter jobs also tend to give you a metric buttload of shards, so make sure you're doing those (also the goldsmith ones have the best character.)

This, for the first couple of quests anyway. Unlock every craft and take them to level 5, do the level 5 quest for each, and I for one didn't have to buy shards until I had each and every craft at 25+

Rotanee
Feb 15, 2007

Pews posted:

Just off the top of my head, but I think central shroud level 5 trees have all the wind shards you need.

The shard prices will continue to bottom out. There are 3 bots farming those four nodes on my server 24 hours a day (most of the low level zones have 2-4 bots easily). Most shards are down under 20gil each now from about 75 two weeks ago. Two weeks I can see them under 5gil easily.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Rotanee posted:

The shard prices will continue to bottom out. There are 3 bots farming those four nodes on my server 24 hours a day (most of the low level zones have 2-4 bots easily). Most shards are down under 20gil each now from about 75 two weeks ago. Two weeks I can see them under 5gil easily.

Really? Seems a bit cost-inefficient. Like I said you can just do the first couple of class quests and hello buttloads of shards. Make new character, rinse, repeat.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

goldjas posted:

if you log in and out it'll tell you quests around your level (I think there's a way to see that without logging in and out but I have no idea what it is).

On that cluster of circle buttons, there's a button near the bottom left. I *think* it's called "Duty" (not "Duty Finder", below it). Click it, and it'll give you options for "timers" and "recommendations".

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Hokuto posted:

They ended the drawings for the day, with more to come tomorrow. Lucky servers are, in order of Twitter posts:

What does this mean? I'm on Cactuar. Can I cash in on whatever this is?

Lazy Bastard
Aug 23, 2004
Laziness is an art
Last night, the other tank in my Praetorium party threaten to come over to my house and punch me in the face for watching cutscenes. He kept saying we needed 2 hours because his previous party wiped a ton on 2nd to last boss and then timed out on the last boss. We finished it with like 45 minutes to spare, watched all the CS, no wipes, and I didn't say a word until the end.

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

jerichojx posted:

How the hell did this happen? Is there some kind of insane xp bonus for 1.0 players or something?

Legacy player, entered 2.0 with all 50 and 7/7 relics. Just had to get Arcanist to 50 and beat Titan as a SMN and SCH to get my last two relics.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
does anyone have the really nice autohotkey crafting macro from the last thread that would craft while alt tabbed? I don't have plat and it's buried really deeply in there somewhere

UberN00ber
Oct 18, 2004

It's a sponge puck.

Lazy Bastard posted:

Last night, the other tank in my Praetorium party threaten to come over to my house and punch me in the face for watching cutscenes. He kept saying we needed 2 hours because his previous party wiped a ton on 2nd to last boss and then timed out on the last boss. We finished it with like 45 minutes to spare, watched all the CS, no wipes, and I didn't say a word until the end.

This is what scares me. I just bought the game and wanted to tank (was a tank in wow for years) but a few weeks after release and being a new player to this game is already unacceptable.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

UberN00ber posted:

This is what scares me. I just bought the game and wanted to tank (was a tank in wow for years) but a few weeks after release and being a new player to this game is already unacceptable.

Just put them on your blacklist, problem solved.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Platypus Farm posted:

Just put them on your blacklist, problem solved.

Can't blacklist in instances. Thanks Tanaka!

Lazy Bastard posted:

And this is why I wish people wouldn't speedrun CS without a full premade. It's really loving lovely to do to new players, I don't care if you can't watch cutscenes in your inn. It's not the loving same, you know it, they payed for the game too, you can wait you rear end.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

UberN00ber posted:

Just ignore those people, Praetorium isn't difficult, and while the Ultima Weapon fights may wipe you a few times you really shouldn't have issues running into the time limit. And no one does Praetorium for speed farming. Of course getting into a speedrun CM group as your first time would probably be a pretty lovely experience, unfortunately.

victrix posted:

I had a pretty funny wipe in AK earlier.

The final pack of Succubus/Demon/Double Willowisp.

The Dullahan wasn't dead yet, so I round the corner and he's standing over in the middle of that 4 pack. I'm waiting for him to come back and pull him when...

... what's that little green thing going around the corner?

Wait Garuda, noooo! :gonk:

Five pack including Dullahan steps on us.

I wasn't pissed at all, I thought it was pretty hilarious actually, but I'm wondering what he did to sic his pet on the mobs over there, because he was actually back around the corner I'm pretty sure.

I'm not certain, but if my knowledge of early WoW pet behavior is any indication, what probably happens is that a pet gets hit by the succubus's void fire that it periodically throws at you while you're clearing the rest of the trash, and being on guard it decides it simply must go attack the succubus now. I've had this happen at least twice (me, one other scholar) with the Selene fairy too since it has a silence.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Watch the cutscenes and blacklist the awful people. Your experience in the game will be better for it.

Lazy Bastard
Aug 23, 2004
Laziness is an art

UberN00ber posted:

Screw them, it is pug and you are most likely never going to see them again. Tell them you're turning off party chat and if they want to communicate with you, use emotes and talk to you in sign languages.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Lazy Bastard posted:

Screw them, it is pug and you are most likely never going to see them again. Tell them you're turning off party chat and if they want to communicate with you, use emotes and talk to you in sign languages.

He is a tank. Just requeue. Tanks get insta everything.

loving tanks!

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

mrwuss posted:

He is a tank. Just requeue. Tanks get insta everything.

loving tanks!

Excuse me, I had to wait a 9 minutes for Ifrit HM yesterday as Paladin. :colbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Note Block posted:

Watch the cutscenes and blacklist the awful people. Your experience in the game will be better for it.

This won't work if the rest of the group doesn't want to watch cutscenes. Everything in Praetorium/Castrum Merdianum is easily 6-7 mannable, so if you decide to sit and watch you won't get to participate in fights(because you'll get locked out when they start it while you're watching the cutscene).

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Wow, the story really tanks right around your 30's when you have to collect ingredients to convince a certain somebody you are a hardass. I mean, I get that they were kind of going for the 'useless errands' feeling on purpose, but I feel like I'm burnt out of finding a new area, talking to the chocokeep, bonding to the aethernet, feeling guilty for not being able to harvest the local trees.... Doing like 1 quest on a new map then moving to another new map is the worst.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Sendo posted:

Excuse me, I had to wait a 9 minutes for Ifrit HM yesterday as Paladin. :colbert:

Did you powder your rear end while you waited? Don't want you to get a rash from coasting.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kanos posted:

This won't work if the rest of the group doesn't want to watch cutscenes. Everything in Praetorium/Castrum Merdianum is easily 6-7 mannable, so if you decide to sit and watch you won't get to participate in fights(because you'll get locked out when they start it while you're watching the cutscene).

"Thanks for the free tokens, guys :smug:"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pomp posted:

"Thanks for the free tokens, guys :smug:"

I would assume that for someone actually interested in the story, being unable to participate in the fights themselves would be a really shitter.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It's not ideal but you can watch cutscenes in your inn room.

I didn't know this until a few days ago.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Baldbeard posted:

Wow, the story really tanks right around your 30's when you have to collect ingredients to convince a certain somebody you are a hardass. I mean, I get that they were kind of going for the 'useless errands' feeling on purpose, but I feel like I'm burnt out of finding a new area, talking to the chocokeep, bonding to the aethernet, feeling guilty for not being able to harvest the local trees.... Doing like 1 quest on a new map then moving to another new map is the worst.

Luckily, after that, you're done with all the really terrible fetch quests in the main story for the most part. You've done the sylph thing, and the stuff for that roeg guy. There's some boring stuff later, but nowhere near as drawn out as those two sequences.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Platypus Farm posted:

Luckily, after that, you're done with all the really terrible fetch quests in the main story for the most part. You've done the sylph thing, and the stuff for that roeg guy. There's some boring stuff later, but nowhere near as drawn out as those two sequences.

Yeah, then you get the awesome choice of "do other random fetch/bear-rear end quests from side stories" or "grind fates"!

Basically - it's an MMO, they're made to be timesinks and there's always a grind there, the differences are just in how well they cover it up. I preferred the storyline quest grind personally.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Downtime posted:

Also finished about a week ago, but lazy:

Insatiable part 2!

Are these all +1s? Why are the paladin and blackmage weapons glowing while the others look exactly like the normal relics?

I think I've seen the +1s in-game and had the same question. That's hella lame if Paladins get to upgrade to a glowy magic blade but the Warrior axe is the exact same with just different stats.

:smith:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Are these all +1s? Why are the paladin and blackmage weapons glowing while the others look exactly like the normal relics?

I think I've seen the +1s in-game and had the same question. That's hella lame if Paladins get to upgrade to a glowy magic blade but the Warrior axe is the exact same with just different stats.

:smith:

The +1 glow applies to the whole weapon, so it's only on the paladin one. You're just confusing the light on the BLM one for it. I don't believe there were relic +1s in 1.0, so it's literally impossible to get more than 1 at this current time because you need 900 Mythology Tomestones per relic and you only get 300 a week.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kanos posted:

I would assume that for someone actually interested in the story, being unable to participate in the fights themselves would be a really shitter.

All the fights in Castrum are either too gimmicky, or just blow. Castrum blows.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pomp posted:

No way, when she's in the big mech that it's literally impossible to kill anyone with, it's totally awesome!

I mean, it's Baby's First 8-man I guess. But that fight is literally nothing but sit around doing nothing watching the clock spin. I don't understand it. There's no challenge, you'd have to work to fail, it's just a time waste (more-so than your typical MMO activity).

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Just now got my Bard soul crystal. I've never really played a support role before, so I guess my question is what should I keep an eye on in the future? Right now, my only song is the MP regen skill that seems like it will come in handy... eventually... but not quite yet.

If I'm reading things correctly, I'm also heading to Haukke Manor soon. Will Bard be useful there, or should I just keep to Archer for now where I have access to other cross-class skills?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Shoopuf posted:

Just now got my Bard soul crystal. I've never really played a support role before, so I guess my question is what should I keep an eye on in the future? Right now, my only song is the MP regen skill that seems like it will come in handy... eventually... but not quite yet.

If I'm reading things correctly, I'm also heading to Haukke Manor soon. Will Bard be useful there, or should I just keep to Archer for now where I have access to other cross-class skills?

Note that you get stat boosts to. Get used to always being Bard, never being Archer.

For the mana song, just keep an eye on healer mana - especially white mages. Learn about how much mana it gives, and time it right. With a good bard, they rock major dps, make my mana a non-issue, and while at first the healing limit break makes no sense, it can be awesome on a 3-limit-break fight when the healers die and they save the day.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I leveled as Archer all the way to 45, but it doesn't really make a huge difference one way or the other.

As far as Ballad, it's a lifesaver in some situations. I usually pop it if I see the healers approach about half MP, and take it off (so I regen my own MP) once they hit back above 75% or so.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Pomp posted:

Yeah, Castrum was mildly interesting the first time through because oh hey story, nice to see you back after FATE grinding, but even then the fights were a snoozefest (with a PUG group, no less).

On the plus side, on Monday I waited 1h45m to get into AK before withdrawing and getting a Castrum instance in just under 2 minutes, so it's good for something sometimes :sun:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cathead posted:

The +1 glow applies to the whole weapon, so it's only on the paladin one. You're just confusing the light on the BLM one for it. I don't believe there were relic +1s in 1.0, so it's literally impossible to get more than 1 at this current time because you need 900 Mythology Tomestones per relic and you only get 300 a week.

Okay, so all +1s have glow? Cool. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLOG KING
Jun 20, 2004
Is there any sort of a tl;dr around for the story? I started playing this game and breezed through the story... but after Titan I realized what a bad idea I made!

• Locked thread